As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[TV] Isn't Quite Back Yet

• Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    Loki season two started off with a pretty fantastic episode, and somehow, despite every other Marvel property looking more and more like unoriginal shit, it actually manages to be gorgeous. Amazingly good production design, fantastic cinematography, great pacing and dialogue. This season feels just a little bit Control-esque. And Ke Huy Quan is an absolute delight every second he’s on screen.

I’m genuinely shocked at how much I liked this episode, and the tone and mood they seem to be going for.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    I laughed really hard at this earlier

wd6dp28f30ql.png

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I need to save that for any time someone asks me how I feel about the MCU

• Options
    Oh, I’m still expecting it to tank towards the back half of the season like they all do, but yeah, 3 stars probably would rank as “the best marvel tv show ever”, so that tracks.

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Loki season two started off with a pretty fantastic episode, and somehow, despite every other Marvel property looking more and more like unoriginal shit, it actually manages to be gorgeous. Amazingly good production design, fantastic cinematography, great pacing and dialogue. This season feels just a little bit Control-esque. And Ke Huy Quan is an absolute delight every second he’s on screen.

I’m genuinely shocked at how much I liked this episode, and the tone and mood they seem to be going for.

Not to be a downer, but that's how season 1 started, it just...never did anything.

Super glad Ke Huy Quan is getting some more high profile work though.

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Season 1 had some of the same issues I have with the Commission in the Umbrella Academy, where the writers seem to mistake style and aesthetic for depth and motivation.

• Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    I tried getting back into Archer in the past two weeks (apparently I got to season 2) and it could not hold my interest.

• Options
    GustavGustav Friend of Goats Somewhere in the OzarksRegistered User regular
    edited October 2023
    I can remember select Jessica Walter quotes and let the context surrounding them fade. I’m happy enough with that.

Gustav on
    aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    tynic wrote: »
    Season 1 had some of the same issues I have with the Commission in the Umbrella Academy, where the writers seem to mistake style and aesthetic for depth and motivation.

When it comes to the Umbrella Academy I can only assume that it and most Netflix shows in general are suffering from the problem of the way Netflix handles writers.

It's not surprising to me that a network that kicks the writers out as quickly as they possibly can and doesn't allow them to be brought back for rewrites tends to make shows that are stylish but sloppily written.

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    MagellMagell Detroit Machine Guns Fort MyersRegistered User regular
    I watched the first two episodes of Surreal Estate a new syfy show where they get rid of the ghosts from a house before they sell it and despite having high hopes for it, it's not doing much for me. I do appreciate that they introduced a big scary house that is the season long project and that the first two episodes had them solve a case each episode so that's a nice change. The biggest problem is that the cast doesn't interact much or seem to have any kind of fun together. Outside of the main guy there is the gadget guy, priest, and office manager, and they don't seem to do anything and get separated off from the main guy and the new hire who is a real estate agent who did some TK in her youth. The actors just aren't charismatic enough to make the premise fun to watch, sadly.

• Options
    asofyeunasofyeun Registered User regular
    yeah, i made it 4-5 episodes in: the show is a waste of good punny title

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular

After the season opener I watched the season finale of Ahsoka and that made it even more obvious how shitty all those SW shows filmed in the Volume look.

• Options
    ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    5:00 am

Springing out of bed and sprinting to the computer that has The Greatest Love bingo card on it while shouting "THREE IN ONE EPISODE!!"

Big night for me.

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    I’m ready for a new season of the Circle

• Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    I finished Carnival Row a few days ago

folks, I would not recommend watching Carnival Row

• Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    edited October 2023
    Last night the SE++ anime squad gathered once more to experience the third age of mankind, the year continues to be 2259, the name of the show is still Babylon 5.

What happened?

Oh, we learned some more about Mr. Morden and what lies in the shadow of Z'Ha'Dum

What did we learn?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vOulsEGvSCo

Zonugal on
    Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    PiptheFair wrote: »

I liked the first season!

I don’t know what the second season was trying to do. Other than burn people’s good will with watching the show.

• Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    I feel my life is better in some way having watched a fairy ride Orlando Bloom.

• Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    Blake T wrote: »
    PiptheFair wrote: »

I liked the first season!

I don’t know what the second season was trying to do. Other than burn people’s good will with watching the show.

the first season felt more focused? but it kept trying to spin way too many plates and cara delavignes characterfelt fucking manic with all the split second life-changing decisions she made

season 2 is completely fucked from top to bottom, but I at least had to see it through and boy was it not worth it

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    Zonugal wrote: »
    Last night the SE++ anime squad gathered once more to experience the third age of mankind, the year continues to be 2259, the name of the show is still Babylon 5.

What happened?

Oh, we learned some more about Mr. Morden and what lies in the shadow of Z'Ha'Dum

What did we learn?

do not go to z'ha'dum

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    Naphtali wrote: »

What happened?

What did we learn?

do not go to z'ha'dum

But what if my wife is there??

A real million to one shot here, but what if??

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    I warned you about z'ha'dums dude

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular

What happened?

What did we learn?

do not go to z'ha'dum

Your wife probably lives in Tahiti

• Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    Live action One Piece was a ton of fun. I've dabbled with the anime but have been intimidated by the length, and while I absolutely expect Netflix to (Gum Gum Battle) axe the show, I'm glad that they threaded the needle of being faithful and also not just copy pasting the source material.

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular

What happened?

What did we learn?

do not go to z'ha'dum

Your wife probably lives in Tahiti

(it's a magical place)

• Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    Finished S2 of Foundation. Legitimately solid show.

Started S2 of WoT. Big step up from S1.

• Options
    edited October 2023
    Jragghen wrote: »

You think so? I’m not being snarky, I’m genuinely curious if it seems like it’s improving. I watched S2E1 and kinda felt completely lost and like I didn’t care about any of these people. I’m usually pretty good at retaining stuff between seasons of shows, but as someone who watched season 1 and prrrrobbbbbably read this book at some point, I was at a total loss as to what’s going on with all of them at the start of this season.

That said, I didn’t like season 1 very much, so maybe I just blocked out important details. Maybe I should just stick it out and get on with the rest of the season?

minor incident on
  • Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular

You think so? I’m not being snarky, I’m genuinely curious if it seems like it’s improving. I watched S2E1 and kinda felt completely lost and like I didn’t care about any of these people. I’m usually pretty good at retaining stuff between seasons of shows, but as someone who watched season 1 and prrrrobbbbbably read this book at some point, I was at a total loss as to what’s going on with all of them at the start of this season.

That said, I didn’t like season 1 very much, so maybe I just blocked out important details. Maybe I should just stick it out and get on with the rest of the season?

Season 2 is significantly better than season 1 overall. It's become increasingly clear that the show is doing its own thing and diverging from the books even more and that's a good thing.

• Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular

I'm only on ep2 right now, I meant more that the quality of production was improved.

Having read the first couple books years ago probably wouldn't have helped - they're changing a ton. Heard it called "adapting the story, not the plot." That being said, there's a time jump from the end of s1, folks are in new locations, and it's not really explained, just exposited over (which honestly is probably the best way to handle it, sadly). So some of those characters you don't remember are probably actually new. So yeah, I'd expect a little disorientation getting used to the new status quo, but you'll get a better show in the process.

• Options
    RanlinRanlin Oh gosh Registered User regular

What happened?

What did we learn?

do not go to z'ha'dum

Hey, a million to one chance happens nine times outta ten, so that ain't bad

• Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    Man, I finally got up through episode 7 of One Piece on Netflix and the ending actually got me tearing up. Such a weirdly good show.

• Options
    Man, I finally got up through episode 7 of One Piece on Netflix and the ending actually got me tearing up. Such a weirdly good show.

I thought it was surprisingly good, as someone who has zero familiarity with the manga or anime, outside of cultural osmosis. Iñaki Godoy was real fun in The Imperfects, so it was cool to see him get an even bigger role and kill it.

• Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    As someone that doesn't like what the WoT show is doing overall, I still say season two is just a better show on all accounts compared to season one. It's now competently made, I just still don't really like it. I had more fun with it though, and am actually impressed by how far they're pushing the changes, and how many later dominoes have to change due to small early changes.

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    I just spent the better part of my evening watching another few Wheel of Time episodes and yeah, I’m definitely seeing it now. Waaaay better production all around compared to season 1, and it’s taking some really wild, really interesting swings with the characters. I feel like it’s still moving much too slowly to really get where it needs to go with 8 episode seasons, though. I mean, I don’t mind the pacing at all, but I feel like there’s no way this gets wrapped up at this pace because I don’t see Amazon committing to the 10+ seasons it feels like it would need to with such short seasons.

That’s really my only complaint. Was a little thrown off by the time skip and felt totally lost at first, but by the end of episode 4 it feels like the show has a real strong vision for where it’s going, and it doesn’t look like shit the way season 1 did!

• Options
    Yeah, the tattoo stabbing scene was rough to watch but effective, I think I'd heard about it once but it was of course removed in the 4Kids version. And Luffy screaming to the heavens was corny but moving, with him placing his hat on Nami being *chef's kiss*. That's something symbolic that I think of as core to the work, from my limited experience.

• Options
    A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    Man I've missed Our Flag

vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
  • Options
    The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Hey, so just in case you're someone who hasn't seen it yet and hasn't read the books (I assume this part was in the books), there's a very big CW for graphic animal death in the season 2 finale of WoT.

It was not fun to be caught off guard with that.

BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    The Geek wrote: »
    Hey, so just in case you're someone who hasn't seen it yet and hasn't read the books (I assume this part was in the books), there's a very big CW for graphic animal death in the season 2 finale of WoT.

If those motherfuckers kill
    Hopper
    I will never forgive this show.

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular

If those motherfuckers kill
    Hopper
    I will never forgive this show.
    Unfortunately yes. If they'd been following the books more closely he'd have shown up and died in season one.
    Future stuff
    If it helps, wolves live on in the wolf dream after they die and Hopper is able to be a mentor to Perrin for quite some time in the books.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular

Thank you for this warning. Legit I do not handle thay stuff well and being surprises by something like that could ruin the whole show and my evening!

This discussion has been closed.