Options

🖥️🎮 - Dungeons 4, Cuisineer, Polylithic & Don't Die in the West out today!

• Options
    The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    edited September 2023
    Other Slay the Spirr stuff would be like:

-All the starter decks are awful. Strikes and defends are bad cards. Removing these helps. Knowing when to remove them helps even more (it's usually better to remove a defend on Watcher and Silent early, they want the damage from strikes).

You can make Defends kinda good, especially on Silent and to a lesser degree Watcher, and Defend+ is an okay card, but there's basically always better options

This is why Pandora's Box is one of the best relics in the game, as it just yeets all your bad cards. Empty Cage and Astrolabe are similar and I usually pick these over energy relics.

-Energy and Card Draw are hard linked. Energy generators are bad without card draw. Card draw is weaker when you don't have energy to play the cards you drew. This is why Silent Discard decks get to be so ridiculous, since they can combine card draw and energy generation into pretty tight packages.

-having the right card at the right time is pretty much the single most important thing in the game, and it's why Runic Pyramid is the strongest relic. Taking Piercing Wail to block the Heart's x15 attack is meaningless if you can't draw it in the right turn. This is also why card removes and card draw are generally valued so highly - they make it easier to get what you need into play when you need it in play

The Zombie Penguin on
    Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    that's all extremely helpful, in that it clarifies that I will never, ever be good at Slay the Spire

sometimes it's good to have concrete knowledge, ya know?

• Options
    The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    that's all extremely helpful, in that it clarifies that I will never, ever be good at Slay the Spire

Just means more Spire for me!

I will point out there's one major caveat to everything I say about StS.

I am a crazy person who exclusively plays on the hardest difficulty, going for heart kills, the hardest thing to do

The Devs balanced the game around ascension 10, and consider anything past a15 to officially be in Wackyland.

You can absolutely beat the game at a0 with some pretty random approaches, you don't need to start being super sharp till even A10, and A15+ is the point where the game really starts trying to murder you horribly

• Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    I completed my first true ending for Wildfrost!
    You have to beat the Frost Guardian with all three of the challenge bells enabled, which unlocks a final battle with some tough enemies.

But you also need the Lumin Vase which is a fusion of two junk cards that only appear in 3 bell runs, but where they're found glows so if you're paying attention and familiar with rougelite True Ending shenanigans you'll probably cotton on.

Once the cards do fuse the vase can give one unit at a time a unique buff which doubles their card effects. Since stacking charms and effects is hugely important (snow on your Leader is huge for stopping run-ending smackback foes) this is a good pickup, but I would have been miffed if I beat the true bosses but didn't have the vase.

I see that there's some more changes on the horizon, like making companion injuries a challenge modifier and adding a bunch more modifiers to customise the difficulty. The former I'm not sure on since it felt like a real consequence of your actions, but I can see it being a bit much for new players.

All in all, it's come a long way since launch - not quite at Monster Train or StS calibre, but that's a high bar.

• Options
    I still wish I liked Monster Train more than I do. There's just enough things in the draw mechanics and the way it's ascension equiv mostly jams more junk cards into your deck that frustrates me - no single niggle that kills things, just a bunch of tiny stuff that adds up to a package I can't quite enjoy.

I really would like to see a sequel that tried having more complicated and interesting routing ala StS, did a Split deck thing where you have a spell deck and a creature deck, and went harder on the expansion packs "build a monster" vibe with the fusing cards together.

Ah well.

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    The evil mayor is like an 1800s evil mayor industrialist. He has a team of evil cats! His town is called foggy bottom!

True! All of this is true.

But!

The "good" mayor is an idiot. She has a pet chicken which itself is fine. But when they find a shitload of gold, instead of using it to better the town or letting the citizens figure out what to do with it, she uses it to build a giant statue of Chickoletta. She's just the worst.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options

Also liek theo ther hting: I just want people to have fun with Slay the Spire, because i think it's a fun game. Being good at it is an entirely different thing. Fun's what is important.

• Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    Gah I forgot how dark resident evil 4 remake is, playing seperate ways and I’m definitely upping the brightness. The hdr makes shit hard to see half the time

• Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular

Also liek theo ther hting: I just want people to have fun with Slay the Spire, because i think it's a fun game. Being good at it is an entirely different thing. Fun's what is important.

I like and appreciate StS, but it's also an immensely frustrating game for me because I feel like I never get better at, at all. I'm stuck in this eternal scrub loop every restart, feeling like the game requires a level of munchkin optimization just to beat the basic ass version of the game that is beyond me. As if the game is tuned specifically for already hardcore ccg types and not like regular people.

• Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    So what is Slay the Spire?

(PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    So what is Slay the Spire?

You know Card-game Roguelikes? You know how they're fucking everywhere?

Slay the Spire is the reason they're everywhere. It also remains, arguably, the best in Genre for a variety of factors

The core of the game is you are attempting to climb up and defeat the titular spire. One might even say you aim to slay it. You start with a small and crappy deck of cards, and play these during your turn. Cards are divided up into Attacks (These directly damage the foe), Skills (These do a variety of things, from helping you avoid damage, to drawing cards, to dealing damage in a non attack way) and Powers (Once played, a power card vanishes from your deck for the duration of the fight, and provides you with a permanent buff of some kind for that fight).

Defeating fights offers you the choice between 1 of 3 cards from your character's card pool, which are of 1 of 3 rarities - Common, Uncommon, Rare. Defeating the act 1 and act 2 bosses offers you a choice of 1 of 3 rares. Additionally, you can get Relics, items that provide passive effects - some have counters and do a thing when they hit the right count (Be that turn, after X attacks or Y cards), and others are just passive always on effects - Whenever you deal poison, deal 1 more. At the start of every turn, deal 3 damage to every enemy. etc.

Notably the game pioneered an Intent system - you can always see what enemies are going to do on their turn. Which lets you plan around that and take steps to counter it, such as using cards to Block incoming damage.

The map you climb has multiple routes, showing you in general terms what you can find and face - Fights, Elites (Tougher, more dangerous fights with dramatically better rewards), Shops (letting you spend gold to remove cards from your deck, buy relics, buy classless cards, or buy other cards), Events (can be a normal fight, can be events that can only spawn in the current Act you're in, or general events. Can be good or bad, can even be treasure chests), Treasure Chests that give you a relic (Garunteed 1/act halfway through each act) and Campfires - Which let you Rest (to heal), or Upgrade (To improve cards). Some relics give you other things to do at Campfires, like digging up relics or removing cards instead of the other options.

At the end of each Act you get a campfire, and then have to fight a boss. Each boss has it's own unique icon, so you know which boss you'll fight for the act. Bosses also give you a choice between 1 of 3 very powerful boss relics - most of which also have downsides.

Beat all 3 bosses, and you won! Probably.

(Actually there's a "Secret" fourth act with the Heart of the Spire that acts as the true, final boss and ultimate challenge of the game).

The charm of the game is that unlike a lot of it's successors, the basics of the game are very simple. Your starter cards are doing 6 damage for 1 energy, or blocking 5 damage for 1 energy. However, it's also willing to let you get very silly. There's a card that triples the amount of poison an enemy has. Another card in the same character's deck lets you take any card and make 3 copies that'll be added to your hand at the start of the next turn. So one moment hte boss has 15 poison on it, then it has 45, then it has 135, then 405, then 1215... You can literally just outright delete bosses.

Please note that the toughest boss in the game only has 800 hp (and limits it's damage taken to 200/damage a turn).

Simple mechanics that give rise to really deep complexity which is why I have about 5k+ hours logged in StS (Steam seems to have deleted some amount of hours from my play time, so it's... probably a lot more).

If you love card games and tactical thinking and also roguelike mechanics and emergent complexity, it's a wonderful ride. If you hate any of these things or dont enjoy learning intricaties to master the game, you'll probably not like it. 5k+ hours and I'm still learning and improving.

Zxerol wrote: »

I like and appreciate StS, but it's also an immensely frustrating game for me because I feel like I never get better at, at all. I'm stuck in this eternal scrub loop every restart, feeling like the game requires a level of munchkin optimization just to beat the basic ass version of the game that is beyond me. As if the game is tuned specifically for already hardcore ccg types and not like regular people.

As you may have gathered, i'm always willing to talk about the game and help people try and get over any diffuclty humps they may have - @MNC Dover can vouch for me helping him score an A20 victory one time on stream, for instance. I'm also more than happy to fire up my stream and show a run, including talking about what i'm doing and why... and why it's all about to go horribly wrong.

• Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited September 2023
    That's very interesting. I've never played a card roguelike at all before and every one of those genres seems out of my experience.

I'll put it on my wishlist.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    @Morninglord if you want to see one of the best players of it play it Jorbs on youtube regualrly uploads full winning runs and often talks about his broad strategy while doing things. He is incredibly good and has something truly stupid like a 17 game winstreak (For context/comparsion - My best is 3, maybe 4?)

• Options
    Altenrtive shitpost version: It's that game Penguin is obssed with, posts scoreboards from with bizarre context too, and occasionally dark muttering about "if I could just have my good cards on the top of my deck..."

• Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    Slay the Spire is on Gamepass atm too if looking to try it out.

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    edited September 2023
    Altenrtive shitpost version: It's that game Penguin is obssed with, posts scoreboards from with bizarre context too, and occasionally dark muttering about "if I could just have my good cards on the top of my deck..."

Not gonna lie your constant posts about it are why I'm interested. You seem about as interested in it as I would be in talking about Transformers Devastation if I thought anyone would want to listen to my prattle about it. I put it on my list to try out if I get a chance. I like trying new things.

Morninglord on
  • Options

Not gonna lie your constant posts about it are why I'm interested. You seem about as interested in it as I would be in talking about Transformers Devastation if I thought anyone would want to listen to my prattle about it. I put it on my list to try out if I get a chance. I like trying new things.

StS basically scratches the Magic the Gathering or similar in depth card game itch for me, except I dont have to spend any more money on it, it's not using predatory mechanics to try and keep me addicted (I have a thing where like skinner box mechanics work on me for a while, but eventually i hit a threshold of "I am playing X to play X" and when that happens i just stop playing, usually forever), and most importantly?

I don't have to deal with other people while playing it. Which isnt me being horribly anti-social, i just know what happens when i'm being competitive and don't like the person it turns me into.

Add in that i'm always finding fun new wrinkles because the game's complexity is emergent instead of frontloaded, and it's just a good time.

• Options
    David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    As the Ryder Cup continues, you know what game I could really do with a remaster or remake or, hell, spirituel sequel to? Sid Meier's SimGolf. I lost so many hours to that game and trying to perfect this par 3 with a water trap, what if I just add a dogleg with trees and a green that slopes up, the power hitters can hit over the trees and the hill will stop the ball, the creative players can curve the ball around while the accurate players can get close enough on the first shot that they can chip it in from the second... what if I add a water hazard as well...

13iepvv6o8ip.png
  • Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    edited September 2023
    Doesn't seem like You Are The Judge! is going to be playable until next week, dev said on their Discord there's a documentation issue and the support team's away for the weekend

Sweeney Tom on
  • Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2023
    I still wish I liked Monster Train more than I do. There's just enough things in the draw mechanics and the way it's ascension equiv mostly jams more junk cards into your deck that frustrates me - no single niggle that kills things, just a bunch of tiny stuff that adds up to a package I can't quite enjoy.

I really would like to see a sequel that tried having more complicated and interesting routing ala StS, did a Split deck thing where you have a spell deck and a creature deck, and went harder on the expansion packs "build a monster" vibe with the fusing cards together.

Ah well.

otoh, I like MT because it gives me a break from having to juggle a million things at once like STS, I can bang out a quick run or two, and the tower defense aspects give it something unique/different from spire so I can play both without either getting tired

Naphtali on
    Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    KarozKaroz Registered User regular
    Prohass wrote: »
    Gah I forgot how dark resident evil 4 remake is, playing seperate ways and I’m definitely upping the brightness. The hdr makes shit hard to see half the time

I definitely regret following the "adjust brightness until icon on the left is barely visible" directions with Lies of P, because I'd frequently go "man, it's dark, maybe I need to turn on my lantern...oh it's already on."

• Options
    TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    proxy_hue wrote: »
    has anyone mentioned SNAKE FARM here?

https://youtu.be/vh2lgJPfGKg?si=SjFDAIStzDQvN74k
    A top-down action roguelike about buying snakes, fighting them, selling their oil, and buying more snakes. Upgrade your weapons, get stronger snakes to fight, and chase down a high score with only ten days to live.

OIL IS LIFE - LIFE IS MONEY - MONEY IS DEATH

IT IS THE YEAR FIFTY THOUSAND AND YOU ARE A SNAKE FARMER WITH TEN DAYS TO LIVE. BUY SNAKES, WATCH THEM BURST FROM THE GROUND, AND FIGHT THEM TO THE DEATH WITH GARDENING TOOLS. SELL THEIR OIL AND TEETH FOR RARER SNAKES AND BETTER WEAPONS. OIL IS LIFE; LIFE IS MONEY; MONEY IS DEATH. YOUR ONLY LEGACY WILL BE A HIGH SCORE.

OIL IS LIFE

SNAKE FARM is a top-down, Vampire Survivors-style action roguelike that lets you set your own challenges. Buy snakes to fight, then use their remains to buy stronger snakes and better weapons. You decide your enemies, pushing your luck every round in pursuit of exponential growth. You only have ten days to live; make sure every one counts.

LIFE IS MONEY

With twenty upgradable pieces of equipment, from deadly throwing trowels to tractors that hate you, each run's build can go a different direction. Will you rely on high-risk headshots with a pitchfork? Igniting your own oil supply to explode snakes? Freezing your enemies with a high-power hose? As your farm fills with snakes, only smart build-crafting can keep you alive.

MONEY IS DEATH

Eventually you'll make a mistake. You'll get too greedy, buy too many snakes, get cornered and destroyed. With each new run, you learn a little more, get a little further, get a better score. The more you go, the more you realize that your truest enemy is your own hubris

It's sort of like Vampire Survivor with Snakes, and it's by Heather Flowers, who made Extreme Meatpunks Forever. It's pretty fun!

yooooo this looks sick

• Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited September 2023
    I'm already kind of mixed on roguelike deckbuilders (they need to have a really strong theme to draw me in), but for me personally, the "the way you win is by removing bad cards until you have a small, slick deck" is just such a turn-off. YMMV, but for me, adding and playing cards is the fun part, and being punished for doing so, and having the optimal strategy be to make the smallest combo deck possible is the game designer equivalent of optimising the fun out.

It feels exactly like playing Blood Bowl, where the optimal way to play is to never play football and instead just perform actions from lowest to highest risk of a turnover. What's that, you threw the ball? And you're not an elf with this being your last action taken? What a fool! What a buffoon!

Glal on
  • Options
    NeveronNeveron HellValleySkyTree SwedenRegistered User regular
    Unfortunately the importance of deck-thinning is kind of inherent to the deckbuilder genre as a whole - even in Dominion, one of the oldest and most influential examples, you'd really like to get rid of those low-value cards if possible so that you draw more high-value cards.

Note also how in constructed cardgames like Magic: the Gathering or Netrunner or whatever, the strategy is generally to play the smallest deck you can get away with. (Netrunner's corps have their own weird thing where they want to hit the biggest deck within a certain size range so that it's harder for their opponent to steal victory points.)

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    it's best to think of a deckbuilder as more of an engine-building game rather than a card game. the most reliable engine is one where you play the exact same cards every turn

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    I think something about the "Damage increases by 10% for each RAM unit currently spent (max. +400%)" effect on Synapse Burnout in Cyberpunk is doing some wild shit, because suddenly I'm hitting enemies for like 20k damage with it.

• Options
    I need more card games like Thronebreaker where the cards are part of your army/characters that can be super powerful but super problematic.

Like I had this early combo from a character card that I kinda came to rely on, but because I wouldn't go full genocide on the elves she ends up leaving. Impactful and problematic.

Pyre kind of had that going as well as winning meant you were usually sacrificing one of your best characters from future matches causing you to use less liked characters/vary your strategy.

• Options
    Naphtali wrote: »

Ah well.

otoh, I like MT because it gives me a break from having to juggle a million things at once like STS, I can bang out a quick run or two, and the tower defense aspects give it something unique/different from spire so I can play both without either getting tired

That's fair! As said, it's just a bunch of niggles - I had the most fun turning MT's asc down to basically 1, but that stopped being challening for me, and what the Asc levels did add stopped being fun.
    Glal wrote: »
    I'm already kind of mixed on roguelike deckbuilders (they need to have a really strong theme to draw me in), but for me personally, the "the way you win is by removing bad cards until you have a small, slick deck" is just such a turn-off. YMMV, but for me, adding and playing cards is the fun part, and being punished for doing so, and having the optimal strategy be to make the smallest combo deck possible is the game designer equivalent of optimising the fun out.

It feels exactly like playing Blood Bowl, where the optimal way to play is to never play football and instead just perform actions from lowest to highest risk of a turnover. What's that, you threw the ball? And you're not an elf with this being your last action taken? What a fool! What a buffoon!
    Neveron wrote: »
    Unfortunately the importance of deck-thinning is kind of inherent to the deckbuilder genre as a whole - even in Dominion, one of the oldest and most influential examples, you'd really like to get rid of those low-value cards if possible so that you draw more high-value cards.

Note also how in constructed cardgames like Magic: the Gathering or Netrunner or whatever, the strategy is generally to play the smallest deck you can get away with. (Netrunner's corps have their own weird thing where they want to hit the biggest deck within a certain size range so that it's harder for their opponent to steal victory points.)

It's a really interesting needle to thread from the game design point of view. Spire, at least has the fact that status cards exist, and on A20 heart kills, you will get all 5 of them shoved into your deck on turn 1 by the heart - and you can only, by default, remove 3 of them (one costs energy to remove, two auto remove when drawn). Which means it's entirely possible for things like the Watcher-Goes-Rushdown infinite to draw their entire deck on turn 1, send it all to the discard pile, get five statuses added to the draw pile, and die immediately because... they drew a bunch of statuses.

On the other hand, it means you're really incentivized to never take curses at all on A20 because they compete with your precious card removes and strikes are just that bad. Which... kinda sucks. It's at least more complicated than never take curses and I still fairly regularly pick up one or two in the course of a run... but it's iffy. A10+ also makes you want to have more cards just because you always start with a curse in your deck, and you can never get rid of it other than by drawing it and letting it vaporize itself each fight. Guaranteed dead card in a hand changes your priorities somewhat.

Relics like Dead Branch and Snecko Eye or any of the eggs also make you want to add cards to your deck. Checking quickly, most of my decks in Spire that have won are actually in the 28ish card range, with the occasional sub 20/post 30 deck. So I think it strikes a pretty good balance, though I know I tend towards thicker decks than players like Jorbs do.

Roguebook had a really clever solution that like most of roguebook was implemented in an absolutely asinine way. You had a talent tree that gave you powerful passives, and unlocking deeper talents required having more cards in your deck... But the talents were both hidden until you unlocked them and entirely random each run, which basically defeated the entire point. The core concept of getting powerful passives for more cards is really interesting though, and it's something I think you could do more with.

I'll also be honest that I've really come around on the fact that Strike and Defend are awful cards, and I like that they're awful cards that you want to trade out and remove, as it adds a solid tension to the early game. My main complaints right now is that Silent and Ironclad have weird/excess numbers of them that could be trimmed (Silent could loose 1 strike and 1 defend, Ironclad could loose 1 strike) without issue. Also that the early fights are slightly too erratic - Spike Slime and Medium Green Slime is a way harder fight than Green Slime and Medium Spike Slime, just because Spike slimes usually spawn with more than 12 hp. Or jaw worm and it's AI that ranges between "Surprisingly easy" to "FUCK YOU"

• Options
    AvalonGuardAvalonGuard Registered User regular
    Online multiplayer was officially announced for The Binding of Isaac. The True Co-op mode in Repentance is an absolute blast, and while Steam Remote Play is plenty fine for my brother and I, it’s not for many people, not to mention console players. Nice to see it happening.

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Yeah, the sad thing about the Bird-Faced Urn run is that I went into my first Elite with Ball Lightning and almost all of my health. Then it turned out to be a Sentries battle where I got all defends on the first turn and all strikes on the second turn and lost over half my max health. After that it was Campfire->Jaw Worm+Spike Slime->Goblin Gang->staggering into a Lagavulin fight with 14 health and no solid defense cards.

I don't usually mess around with seeds, but I might go back and do a little alternate worldbuilding to see just how doomed that run was if I'd started on the other branch.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    Online multiplayer was officially announced for The Binding of Isaac. The True Co-op mode in Repentance is an absolute blast, and while Steam Remote Play is plenty fine for my brother and I, it’s not for many people, not to mention console players. Nice to see it happening.

Did they finally add controller support?

I remember that being a sticking point for me back in the day.

• Options
    AvalonGuardAvalonGuard Registered User regular
    Karoz wrote: »

Ha, yeah, that came in with the Rebirth remake forever ago.

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Every time y'all talk about STS it sounds like you're making all this shit up

• Options
    it's just a card game grahamathy

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    Jedoc wrote: »
    Yeah, the sad thing about the Bird-Faced Urn run is that I went into my first Elite with Ball Lightning and almost all of my health. Then it turned out to be a Sentries battle where I got all defends on the first turn and all strikes on the second turn and lost over half my max health. After that it was Campfire->Jaw Worm+Spike Slime->Goblin Gang->staggering into a Lagavulin fight with 14 health and no solid defense cards.

I don't usually mess around with seeds, but I might go back and do a little alternate worldbuilding to see just how doomed that run was if I'd started on the other branch.

woooof

That is rough.
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    Every time y'all talk about STS it sounds like you're making all this shit up

Simply Nightmare the Catalyst, then Burst it after playing Bouncing Flask. Then The Specimen will bounce the poison to multiple other targets, enabling an easy win!

• Options
    Karoz wrote: »

Ha, yeah, that came in with the Rebirth remake forever ago.

Nice, may check it out finally.

I mean probably not, but I was flabbergasted it wasn't the case from the start.

• Options
    card games

e4tcc5qyjac4.png

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Epic "forgot" to lay me off.

So I got laid of too, but didn't find out until yesterday while I was at home...

with my wife they just laid off.

At least one other person also found out Friday they were "forgotten" about on Thursday. Not sure how many will be hit.

Epic needs to do another announcement about how many more people got fired because they "forgot" to fire them last time.

This discussion has been closed.