Options

The Painting Exposition.

• Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    All rhinos have infinite space clown car physics for space marines.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    Got enough stuff painted up for me and a buddy to do some light clan v IS shenanigans
    nh8qxc5vkak8.jpg

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    edited June 4
    Alright I think I got enough detail on these stormcast to make a determination and I'm leaning towards the Verdigris Stormcast on the right side. The gold and red one is a runner up. What does everyone else think?

3fcgcuhi0y04.jpg
    zkkxrqpy0xri.jpg
    axd4ijnl3xq6.jpg
    56w4kjdxf20n.jpg
    3gzw0rn6jkfv.jpg

webguy20 on
    Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    DayspringDayspring the Phoenician Registered User regular
    I think you need a pop of another colour on the verdigris one, but i like it!

My Warhammer stuff online: Youtube Twitter Insta
  • Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    verdigris one is my favourite. very Living City

• Options
    edited June 4
    Dayspring wrote: »
    I think you need a pop of another colour on the verdigris one, but i like it!

I also haven’t done any highlighting. Having some shiny edges might help it pop. I might give them glowing eyes, even though they don’t traditionally have them.

webguy20 on
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited June 4
    I feel like if the verdigris effect was a bit lighter, and maybe also more collecting in the recesses and rubbed off of the raised parts, it'd look even better, but I don't know how to accomplish that

I'm not sure where on the models would be a good spot to put an additional color accent to make it pop a little more

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    edited June 5
    Finished up. Did some bright steel highlights. I think they helps it pop a bit.

xtqyq04ep1lu.jpeg
    p55t7xmbcvyj.jpeg
    zv8y4hfpe6u1.jpeg
    wy7t8qon6sy5.jpeg
    87xtbqflb93z.jpeg

webguy20 on
  • Options
    Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    I did a thing! (I've actually done lots of things, I'm just too lazy to take pictures)

Figured it was about time to get my 2nd edition 40k minis painted now that they're over 30 years old. I'm doing 10 each of the 40 grots to sort of share a look with the various Ork clans so left-to-right: Goffs/Evil Sunz (because red), Deathskulls, Bad Moons, Snakebites.

ztu689ga0o1d.jpg

Making myself do batch painting and leveraging stuff like speedpaints while maintaining a retro flair. I'm happy with the results and how fast I'm able to knock them out. I might actually get them all done eventually!

PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • Options
    I did a thing! (I've actually done lots of things, I'm just too lazy to take pictures)

Figured it was about time to get my 2nd edition 40k minis painted now that they're over 30 years old. I'm doing 10 each of the 40 grots to sort of share a look with the various Ork clans so left-to-right: Goffs/Evil Sunz (because red), Deathskulls, Bad Moons, Snakebites.

ztu689ga0o1d.jpg

Making myself do batch painting and leveraging stuff like speedpaints while maintaining a retro flair. I'm happy with the results and how fast I'm able to knock them out. I might actually get them all done eventually!

Those are freaking great. Love the retro feel.

• Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited June 6
    As a perfectly logical reaction to gaining proxy access to a resin printer I’ve embarked on a slightly mad wee project.

The concept, a test of the availability of free (for now) 3d printing stl resources by using the incredibly random systems in the 1988/90 Realm of Chaos books to generate mutated Chaos Warriors and their retinues. In roughly 20mm scale to encourage quick painting and to make any larger models the random tables may throw up more manageable.

Being well up with current trends I thought I’d try that there ‘slap chop’ on my initial bird winged Slaaneshi dwarf and his beastman minions. Certainly quick and effective but a bit too grim-dark to me. I’ll try to go heavier on the light highlights before hitting the contrast paint next time and probably start grey rather than black.

yDIWVm8l.jpg

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    BigPointyTeethBigPointyTeeth run away! run away! MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    I am on the cusp of finally finishing the first season of Marvel United. I only have Howard the Duck left, which I'm planning on doing tonight. Then I can dive into season 2, which will keep me occupied for another three years.

Buying some of the new speedpaints has sped up the process, though I'm still a bit sloppy, letting some mistakes be so I can move on to the next mini. On the whole, though, it feels pretty good to see the box of minis all finally painted. I just don't look in the other box of primed but unpainted X-Men. I have to do a bit more priming, too, since I didn't get great coverage on a large chunk of them, and speedpaints seem to really need a uniform priming. They're not great at covering spots of bare plastic.

• Options
    Weird.
    Either I did a bad job with the grey base colour of the volcano gun barrel on the Shadowsword and didn't notice it while putting on the camo, the preshade, painting the black and metal parts of the tank, putting on the gloss coat, applying the decals, weathering with oil paints, but only now after putting on a layer of matt varnish

Or

The Matt varnish reacted with only the grey paint but through the gloss varnish and only on the brass barrel to make the black primer show up.

It's probably the first option, but how. Did. I. Not. Notice?

• Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    rz9c8mfejxqr.jpeg

Slow grow army done, painted over 6 weeks

• Options
    SneakypersonSneakyperson Registered User regular
    Finished some Deathwing Terminators and finally took pictures of a finished Dreadnaught and Infernus Marines.
    buIfNBS.jpegQqR0Lue.jpeg3iWE31a.jpegr9nkCXy.jpeg

• Options
    ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
    That is some good, clean work. Kudos to you for both getting things done and for drilling bolter barrels~
    If you're open to one small suggestion: for your bases, whatever you're using for the snow, have you tried adding a bit of that to the tips of some of the grass? The transition between the grass and snow is pretty harsh, so some bits where the snow has grass poking through and the grass has some snow spilling onto it would look great. But if that feels like too much for you or the material doesn't play nice, don't sweat it - the painting is the important part and to say it again, you're doing great at that.

• Options
    SneakypersonSneakyperson Registered User regular
    edited June 10
    Never though to try that I will give it a go and see how it looks. Thank you for the feedback!

Edit*

Left is AK snow thinned down right is glue and AK Snow Microballons

EPS9nea.jpeg

Sneakyperson on
  • Options
    MaydayMayday Cutting edge goblin tech Registered User regular
    A big improvement, IMO.

• Options
    edited June 10
    hrmmm, just found out out that one GD winning piece at the last Golden demon, one from the the Sword winner even, used an ai generated backgound. And the artist, Neil Hollis is fighting people online about it how he made the background by himself (by telling an AI to make it) and would do it again.

honovere on
  • Options
    Redcoat-13Redcoat-13 Registered User regular
    honovere wrote: »
    hrmmm, just found out out that one GD winning piece at the last Golden demon, one from the the Sword winner even, used an ai generated backgound. And the artist, Neil Hollis is fighting people online about it how he made the background by himself (by telling an AI to make it) and would do it again.

Yeah there’s an interview with him on the Painting Phase.

Reading between the lines, it sounds like he has received….negative feedback from the community which may explain why he’s doubling down on using AI and perhaps why his responses to using AI have not been great either.

There was an interesting about why there are no official Eldar Exodites; apparently some copyright thing? I couldn’t find anything more about it.

PSN Fleety2009
  • Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    he'd prolly be fine if he just shut the fuck up. He's right that there are no rules about it, but I don't know how you can be on the Internet and be shocked that the community does not like that you used AI art.

but people would move on if he just stopped saying things like "it was really hard I had to type in 200 prompts."

• Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    It's a painting competition. He didn't paint it. He can get fucked.

• Options
    I had to go find the model.

b3yhenjayzln.jpg

So the background, the picture was AI I guess?

While he did build and paint the model, the base, and did all the customization of the actual model.

So I mean he did paint the model?

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    He got someone else to paint the backdrop though. Whether that "someone else" was another painter or a robot is not relevant. He should have been disqualified immediately.

• Options
    Nobody is saying that he's not a fantastic painter, and his dark angel has now background picture.
    But the artist community is largely against AI for a bunch of reasonable reasons so someone from within that community then entering a piece that includes ai into a competition, naturally rankles a bunch of people. Especially because he explicitly stated he did it to get a leg up and is very dismissive of everyone not agreeing with him and also telling him that that part of the model isn't really his work.

Feels a bit like if a union went on strike and then a high ranking union member scabs and tells everyone that he did it to get his performance bonus.

• Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    Yeah, you’re supposed to declare if you didn’t paint the whole piece yourself; typing “generic rainforest” into diffusion or whatever is not you producing the material (and that’s the current legal position of the us and uk courts btw) so you if you say you did paint the whole thing, you falsified your entry at minimum, regardless of the ethics of sourcing art from genAI scrapes.

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    So outside of the AI part, what if he used a picture or something else?

Of the Golden Daemon there is one more similar background of a picture from another picture. I am not sure that person painted that either.

Like is it the AI part that says immediate disqualification? Or is the use of the background shot? Like what it was a picture from say just the internet.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    The AI bit is scummy and defending it has big "well the rules don't explicitly say I can't so..." energy so that just makes him a massive goose.

He got someone/thing else to do the work and claimed it as his own. If he used an AI generated image as inspiration and painted the backdrop himself it would be fine (but still scummy) as far the competition was concerned.

Did he disclose this to the judges before they made their decisions? If so, then they fucked up. If not then he straight up lied and deserves every ounce of hate he gets.

• Options
    are you asking if golden demon accepts entries that use printed photographs or images as large elements of submissions?

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    it would be weird if they didn't given that it would be extremely obvious to anyone looking at that closely that the image on the plinth wasn't hand-painted

there's no way the judges didn't know that was a print

• Options
    It would have been so easy for him to say he was doing it to get the conversation rolling and force the rules to have to answer this question. It would have been bullshit, of course, but at least a legitimate reason on paper.

But no, we got this instead.

• Options
    ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
    So outside of the AI part, what if he used a picture or something else?

Of the Golden Daemon there is one more similar background of a picture from another picture. I am not sure that person painted that either.

Like is it the AI part that says immediate disqualification? Or is the use of the background shot? Like what it was a picture from say just the internet.

I don't know what the actual judging criteria for entrants winds up being, but frankly this sort of background piece is typically a much weaker visual aesthetic IMO. The other entry you mention doesn't look any better for having a billboard behind it either. The lack of depth is totally at odds with the miniature format and you can even argue allows the entrants to "cheat" since there are fewer angles to judge the entire piece (not literal cheating, but reducing their workload compared to their peers).

If they want to continue with this stuff, it should be its own category with rules answering these kinds of questions. Because seriously, I don't know how "AI generated printed backgound" is supposed to be anywhere near the same level as Michael Thomas's Warcry Unit, or Andrew Waxtel's Old World entry:
    QTm8VOilJ2siYQhr.jpg
    Y0Q9ICh2SmCl9gd1.jpg

Such a lame duck outcome just hurts the image of the competition, so they should care a lot about such things and hopefully will be updating the rules. I doubt that's going to change the outcome here, and hopefully karma finds another way to set things straight with Mr. Hollis. >_>

• Options
    The GD rules seem generally more lax about bases and backgrounds. And it's hard to tell how much it influences the judgement.

A lot of them, in my opinion, distract more from the actual model than enhance it. At least in photos. That goes for the expedite, too, regardless of how it was made

I don't know if it's because of more social media attention but the last few GD all had some weird or questionable stuff going on.
    Like the perturabo that was entered twice in consecutive years. Or the absolutely subpar winning entries at one of the US golden demons.

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    I do have a feeling they will have rules about bases and backgrounds now

• Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    So I notice the AI accusations seem to have started in March, but it may only have been recently it was confirmed or something? What's the exact timeline here and have GW given any indication how they feel?

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    ChrysisChrysis Registered User regular
    edited June 11
    Those health and safety inspectors look a little suspect.
    l2g4hys0on45.jpg

Wrecker was a present from @Dayspring to go with my OSHA Orlock gang.

Chrysis on
    Tri-Optimum reminds you that there are only one-hundred-sixty-three shopping days until Christmas. Just 1 extra work cycle twice a week will give you the spending money you need to make this holiday a very special one.
  • Options
    DayspringDayspring the Phoenician Registered User regular
    He is fully trained in safe procedures for enemy gang trash disposal

My Warhammer stuff online: Youtube Twitter Insta
  • Options
    KhraulKhraul Registered User regular
    Airbrush question for airbrush entheusiasts...

Ever had your airbrush (In this case a Iwata Hi-Line HP-BH) constantly bubble from the space indicated in the image below?

I've stripped all the parts as clean as they can be with acetone and used a magnifier light thing to scope inside the internal bits for stuck on paint, and there isn't any (nozzle, needle, caps, etc are clean). There was never a rubber seal where that threads, so it's not missing unless it was supposed to come with one and didn't, and there's no blowback into the cup as it the brush itself was blocked, but while I'm airbrushing or cleaning it, it'll constantly bubble and foam from the bottom of where the cap connects to the body of the airbrush and I'm at a loss as to what could be causing it.

os2oss6o5yoz.png

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Options
    Defective machining, I would guess, not perfectly flush fitting

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    KhraulKhraul Registered User regular
    Yeah, I was hoping it was something else I hadn't thought of, or didn't have the experience to diagnose but I'd suspected it was just a defect after all the work to figure it out.

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6