Options

The Painting Exposition.

• Options
    SneakypersonSneakyperson Registered User regular
    Tyranids paint scheme not sure what other colours to use with this.
    gdLP4l0.jpeg]

Got the idea from Midwinter Minis

• Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    The gem color is cool but it's not particularly colorful and combined with the muted blue the model looks very washed out. In the video you can see the main color is a deep blue over a dark purple. I think you want a similar thing for your body color, but it doesn't have to be blue.

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Go with a raspberry red and have baja blast ‘nids.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    They are a real pain to photograph and the Pastel Seafoam is also real pain to work with. The baja blast ‘nids is a great idea.

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    Tyranids paint scheme not sure what other colours to use with this.
    gdLP4l0.jpeg]

Got the idea from Midwinter Minis

I'm getting real Lego Movie 2 vibes from these colors.
    lgtk6e8bj3b4.png
    Lean into it?

• Options
    That really want me to want paint the bases goblin green.

• Options
    WhelkWhelk Registered User regular
    I vote yellow bodies

• Options
    The Cow KingThe Cow King a island Registered User regular
    edited June 14
    admanb wrote: »
    The gem color is cool but it's not particularly colorful and combined with the muted blue the model looks very washed out. In the video you can see the main color is a deep blue over a dark purple. I think you want a similar thing for your body color, but it doesn't have to be blue.

It looks like mother of pearl when viewed with the eye it's actually quite nice! Hard to photograph though

Oh and since orks orks orks
    I'm also a slow as heck so here's two of the 8 commandos and I'll get there

avzy6tof988c.jpg

The Cow King on
    icGJy2C.png
  • Options
    GrudgeGrudge blessed is the mind too small for doubtRegistered User regular
    I've had very little hobby time the past month (always crazy this time of year) so this has taken quite a bit longer than expected, but finally the Battlewagon is done. Quite tricky to photograph this guy without getting shiny reflections off the flat surfaces.

IMG_4975.jpg

IMG_4970.jpg

• Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    Here comes the dwarfs!
    v3mkent9urtu.jpg
    vh229cyuzcik.jpg
    hk1jz79xca1c.jpg

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    Wow I'm really digging streaking grime right now. I need to get some more enamels so I can add some different effects so its not just "dingy".

qgnisnvpz6hu.jpg

• Options
    edited June 18
    Finished my first batch of boys! These were the most photogenic of the batch.

a6tvqvsn2bov.jpg
    cvwd6y7fyn6w.jpg
    0gc7lp2y9qc0.jpg
    pq32tsik3biu.jpg
    d5js5570fils.jpg
    ivxzxy06w2br.jpg
    a7w7k4ex2c17.jpg

webguy20 on
  • Options
    DayspringDayspring the Phoenician Registered User regular
    Waaagh!!!

My Warhammer stuff online: Youtube Twitter Insta
  • Options
    Corporal CarlCorporal Carl Registered User regular
    edited June 18
    Those are gorgeous!

What paint(s) is their skintone?

Corporal Carl on
    PSN (PS4-Europe): Carolus-Billius
  • Options
    Those are gorgeous!

What paint(s) is their skintone?

Basecoat of AP speedpaint pastel yellow then a coat of gillie dew green. Then the whole model was hit with streaking grime for contrast and shading.

• Options
    korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    Picked up an ultrasonic cleaner recently to help deep clean my airbrush and I've tried using it to strip minis. It does excellent at this.

One thing I've discovered is how tough certain primers are to strip with my stripper of choice (isopropyl alcohol). Citadel? Easy. Vallejo, AK, and Army Painter airbrush primers? Also easy. Army Painter rattlecan primers?

That shit's on there for good. 10 minutes in the sonic cleaner, scrubbed it with a toothbrush, 10 minutes more with some Simple Green. Nothing. Doesn't even scuff the paint.

I'm kind of impressed honestly.

ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • Options
    edited June 20
    Next Project! CoS Spearhead. I figure it's going to take me about 40 hours to paint up all the models, so I should be able to just get this done before 4e launches.

c7jpjsp4ns6f.jpg

webguy20 on
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User, Moderator mod
    Oh that model is great, what's CoS?

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Cities of Sigmar. “Empire” for us Warhammer olds.

• Options
    Specifically it’s the freeguild cavalier marshal.

• Options
    Alright, so i did a test model with streaking grime and loved it, but now that I’ve started my spearhead build I’m not 100% sold anymore. I’m thinking of still doing it, but only let it set 10 minutes instead of 20. Opinions?

cqd5fkd1q1ae.jpeg

• Options
    MaydayMayday Cutting edge goblin tech Registered User regular
    I would suggest making the grime concentrate on the lowest parts. Wipe most of it off at the top so the saturation remains there. Should make the composition way more interesting while keeping the overall "grimdark".

• Options
    Alright, ended up not griming up at all, except for caking the feet in the mud texture. Overall pretty pleased with how they came out. Feels like this is a new army out on their first march.

caykmbof6whu.jpg
    911bv3mc0kzo.jpg
    gbr1enwegury.jpg
    miq9y2ulnpfp.jpg
    2yow7mflc679.jpg

• Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    edited June 23
    Khazukan Kazakit-ha!
    0dck6hn3ga08.jpg
    wkl7fzrzp0c9.jpg
    agfo1b1h1xa3.jpg

KetBra on
    KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User, Moderator mod
    webguy20 wrote: »
    Alright, ended up not griming up at all, except for caking the feet in the mud texture. Overall pretty pleased with how they came out. Feels like this is a new army out on their first march.

good choice imo

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Finished up the steel helms. Time to get started on the horse commander dude.

ibp9u0imz91v.jpg

• Options
    Halos Nach TariffHalos Nach Tariff Can you blame me? I'm too famous.Registered User regular
    I found some time to work through one of the other larger models for my Flesh-Eaters collection, though it is too big for my lightbox, so I've had to make do:

5a3e400kqazr.png

4q9cfvbzqpr9.png

0tkj3db5n0tm.jpg

iymgaxdb2hzi.jpg

I can't stand the GW zombie dragon model, so this one is a plastic kit from Archon Studios, I was quite impressed with the quality for the price point, some of the detail is a little chunkier than you might prefer, but it is a nice size and a decent sculpt. The rider is from GW, though I may go back at some point and sculpt some more gubbins around the throne area so it looks more actually seated up there, but for the time being I'm calling it done at least.

• Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    Current state of my 20mm-ish 3D printed old school Realm of Chaos Path to Glory project.

S62z2fdl.jpg

Sadly the Tzeentchian long legged goat-faced man with all the gobbos managed to die in his first encounter with the Slaaneshi bird-winged dwarf and his beastmen.

The Khornate dwarf with hyper healing and a small army of dark elf crossbowmen is currently top of the pack as he is practically unkillable and has a serious gunline. Especially as his latest reward gave him an additional 6 dark elves plus 2 brigands, all with crossbows. It also gave him the head of a juggernaught and has caused me to waste far too long cut-and-shutting this monstrosity of an STL. I had to blend away the dwarf nose that was still in the open mouth!

skzigl1unbdh.png

The latest Nurgle champion rolled up may be a weak human, but he has three ogres with him which may help even the odds somewhat.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    CptHamiltonCptHamilton Registered User regular
    Couple of technical questions for you good folks:

1) How do you go about dealing with tons of tiny magnetized bits? I built and magnetized the Votann kill team and they all have like 6 or more arms and guns, all of them tiny. Priming the bodies is easy enough. Painting the bits will be easy-ish since I can just stick 'em on a magnetic stand and paint 'em. But how do I go about priming them all (with an airbrush) without needing to either build a forest of magnets-on-sitcks or taking a month to prime a half a dozen bits at a time? Is there some secret technical magic I'm not thinking of here?

2) Anybody messed with using any Stuart Semple paints on minis? I ordered Black 4, Mirror, and his Goldest Gold like 6 months ago and they finally showed up. I haven't actually opened the bottles yet. The mirror paint says it requires thinning with white spirits and I've read it needs to go on in a bunch of thin coats. Any tips for thinning/using Black 4 or Gold?

PSN,Steam,Live | CptHamiltonian
  • Options
    KhraulKhraul Registered User regular
    Using transfers from the dark angels deathwing set, and the three I’ve tried end up with this whitish kind of film behind them? Managed to get rid of it on one of them with like four layers of matte varnish but the others I had to literally scrape off and start from scratch.

Using micro set and microsol over gloss varnish I’ve never had this happen with a transfer. Anyone else ever see that kind of issue? Just a bad transfer sheet or something?

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Options
    Ive only done about 100 transfers from a couple different armies, but never any issues with applying with microsol/set

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    I have never used mirco set/sol from doing models I learned the hard way how decals/transfers worked

• Options
    KhraulKhraul Registered User regular
    Ive only done about 100 transfers from a couple different armies, but never any issues with applying with microsol/set

Yeah, I’ve never had this issue. It’s like there’s a film on the back of the transfer showing up around the graphic.

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Options
    Khraul wrote: »

Yeah, I’ve never had this issue. It’s like there’s a film on the back of the transfer showing up around the graphic.

Do you have any other transfer sheets from different units for the same army to see if they have the same issue? Either way, email GW and see if they'll send you a handful of transfer sheets, they are usually pretty good about making this stuff right if there is an issue.

• Options
    Finished up this Cavalier Marshal. Who knew it takes a while to paint a mounted knight? Still have 5 of the Freeguild Cavaliers to do but they are going to be a lot simpler.

52xri5c6kzy1.jpg
    wxgy0ej4t6hq.jpg
    r9kgw61x1ho5.jpeg

• Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited July 7
    Been painting more miniatures for Pathfinder, this is a collection of stolen Moons. The guy with the axe is the original "patient zero" as it were. I am painting what he turns into tomorrow and tuesday. The rest are werewolves created by magic that have a lethal form of lycanthropy spread by bites:

o1wrkecyyewp.jpg
    611l0emshh2z.jpg
    wd2jdcyxpd2g.jpg
    i5bcdvr9hzn8.jpg
    8xqxx44xlft4.jpg

The goal is to make the scenes with them feel like a Zombie apocalypse, but with werewolves. I decided to tone down the blood on them, but one of the future werewolves will be "new born" and just be covered head to toe in it.

Did I mention they explode the original form away into irreversible werewolves?

Aegeri on
    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    h6hzime5vqme.jpg
    tko2relviqr2.jpg

After my Boarding Actions league I decided to do some narrative stuff with my Space Marine chapter, and got some Terminators to add to my army. The OC lore is that they're reinforcements from their parent chapter, the Sons of Medusa, hence keeping some of the iconography and colors as a mark of honor.

Honestly the green works better than I thought it would.

ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    Green and purple work great together, just ask the Joker.

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    NipsNips He/Him Luxuriating in existential crisis.Registered User regular
    I think it extra works here because your purple is kind of a darker plum color. The green really pops in comparison, but not in a way that's like garish or something. Lovely color choices!

JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
  • Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    It's the classic comics villain colour combo