Options

The Painting Exposition.

• Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    I wish I could get monthly (biweekly?) shipments of white scar primer. I keep running out.

Do Amazon still do those “order this product” buttons?

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    edited October 2023
    Valuable and in hindsight pretty obvious lessons learned this weekend:

Do not attach the exhausts on the Deimos Rhino before painting.

Similarly: do subassembly for Contemptors. At least the arms, upper torso, legs/lower torso. For more convenience also leave off the pelvis armour and the power pack/exhaust armour.

Sidenote: if you want a very pretty Rhino, get the Deimos. If you want a quick to build and paint Rhino, get the Mk2c

honovere on
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Why leave the exhausts off the deimos? I was going to build and prime it this weekend but I also got that itch to do something else since it may be rainy to windy this weekend

• Options
    edited October 2023
    Brainleech wrote: »
    Why leave the exhausts off the deimos? I was going to build and prime it this weekend but I also got that itch to do something else since it may be rainy to windy this weekend

Because they'll be in another colour than the vehicle but have a small, hard to reach gap between the hull and the exhaust/protective cowling

like this part is just annoying to pint with the exhausts fixed in place:
    iw5ivqti90dh.png

Less of a pain if you want to paint the protective cowling not in the hull colour, I guess, still the gap between the upper part and the hull is hard to paint

honovere on
  • Options
    ChrysisChrysis Registered User regular
    It's been a while, but I painted some mobs of huntsmen very roughly.
    kfbfaqw54en9.jpg

Tri-Optimum reminds you that there are only one-hundred-sixty-three shopping days until Christmas. Just 1 extra work cycle twice a week will give you the spending money you need to make this holiday a very special one.
  • Options
    Sharp101Sharp101 TorontoRegistered User regular
    Working on some new units for a Tournament in two weeks.

Finished up the first 5 of 10 chosen
    cb6tx6p61egs.jpg

• Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    First of my Cavaliers is mostly done, minus a few things
    hi6h5zmpao7c.jpg

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    Next up: roundheads, and you'll be ready for English Civil War.

Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    I'm always ready for the English Civil War

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    Need to find some time for airbrushing the gloss coat on the infantry. Until then some smaller Contemptor session.

Way more efficient use of painting time to get some points on the table it turns out. Gonna paint these maybe 5 times at fast than the equivalent in infantry points. Also the larger scale makes it a bit more fun.

e9p5xtg4893k.jpg

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User, Moderator mod
    ooh great detailing on the scratches and such

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    I finished up the DRG Board Game. Apologies for the many pictures, but I've never been happier about how a project turned out. First, after the Dwarves saw the swarm take down Lego General Grevious (his real enemy is a few technic parts that snapped from age).

tivhupr2ue24.png

Next up, the Dwarves!
    nwj6w9rdl80x.jpg
    amd3admj0d8h.jpg
    1bgyjdhsuq1k.jpg
    kmc0w5prrl6r.jpg

One of the best faces I have EVER painted, although the focus is off.
    mkhqixqvnpe0.jpg

And the baddies!
    bgksfne6x919.jpg
    0b8ym93z7ajf.jpg
    hxu8cqqk9ctb.jpg
    0maetepp4gga.jpg
    rgt26621f9h2.jpg

• Options
    GrudgeGrudge blessed is the mind too small for doubtRegistered User regular
    It's Orktober, and unfortunately there are a million thing needs doing which leaves me with precious little hobby time :disappointed:. I'm working on a Warboss in Mega armour, but he's not done yet, so instead I've taken some new photos of my other Ork characters.

First out is my Warboss on foot, and a Mad Dok conversion I made a few years ago. He's basically just a Nob with som added bitz, and the 'urty syringe is made out of a shoota with some plastic rod and greenstuff.

IMG_4676.jpeg

IMG_4678.jpeg

IMG_4681.jpeg

IMG_4680.jpeg

• Options
    edited October 2023
    So, uh, I guess Vallejo changed colours at one point?
    New dark grey has nothing in common with my old dark grey and is actually quite a bit darker than my old black grey
    x9fj6i4awq3e.jpg

honovere on
  • Options
    Is that straight from the bottle or thinned? Wet or dry?

It kinda looks like your old grey may have been 70.992 Neutral Grey.

• Options
    It's very close to neutral grey, yeah.

• Options
    edited October 2023
    Maybe your last bottle was mislabeled, or the new one is

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    That bottle is old too. Could be some pigment is glued to the bottom of the bottle.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    webguy20 wrote: »
    That bottle is old too. Could be some pigment is glued to the bottom of the bottle.

that's a lotta goddamn pigment :D

• Options
    edited October 2023
    admanb wrote: »
    webguy20 wrote: »

that's a lotta goddamn pigment :D

It happens. If you leave contrast white sitting for a week like 3/4 of the pigment comes out of suspension and you have to use a toothpick to break it up.

webguy20 on
  • Options
    Next up for Orktober is my Weirdboy kitbash - he's just a regular boy with some bitz, so I put him on a rock so he'd look a little bigger.

IMG_4682.jpeg

IMG_4683.jpeg

• Options
    Those bright highlights are on point, and look amazing.

• Options
    Shit. Spent the evening trying to get a gloss coat on the models with MIG lucky gloss coat, only to find out that dries more like a satin varnish, and now reading up on it to find out if I did something wrong: no that's how it is and also it reacts with decals softener and other solvents. So basically useless for applying oil washes and decals. Also several people writing about it staying sticky for weeks.

Wasted time and effort.

Any tips for airbrushing gloss coat or just rattle can gloss coat?

• Options
    NipsNips He/Him Luxuriating in existential crisis.Registered User regular
    So most of my painting over the summer months has basically amounted to sketching with Speedpaints on a giant pile of old Bones models. Having gotten a goodly amount of practice, I decided I'd try them out on some metal models. I'm deep in a STALKER mood, so I'm looking at Zona Alfa and some other small-skirmish games, and decided to paint up some military duders.

gJRipfch.jpeg

And some unaligned Stalkers.

FvRu7R2h.jpeg

I'm pretty happy with how they turned out, given it was straight Speedpaints over Slapchop with no additional layers.

Less happy with the pics, though. Gotta get my light rig set back up.

JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
  • Options
    those came out quite well!

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    Is it safe to handle varnished minis before they fully cure? I want to varnish something I'm going to be using tomorrow to keep from rubbing away paint but obviously, I don't want to get my fingerprints on the varnish, should I just touch it up after tomorrow then varnish it for later?

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • Options
    Is it safe to handle varnished minis before they fully cure? I want to varnish something I'm going to be using tomorrow to keep from rubbing away paint but obviously, I don't want to get my fingerprints on the varnish, should I just touch it up after tomorrow then varnish it for later?

I wouldn't touch them for like an hour or two after varnishing, but I haven't had any issues after that.

• Options

If you're using something like Krylon Clear it is safe to touch in 10 minutes, safe to handle in 2 hours.

• Options
    Sharp101 wrote: »
    Working on some new units for a Tournament in two weeks.

Finished up the first 5 of 10 chosen
    cb6tx6p61egs.jpg

Finished the second half of the squad last night.

3qi8uvsz9j98.jpg

• Options
    My Big Mek, Mugbuzz, comes it two versions - one in mega armour and one with a Shokk Attack Gun. I used the same Nob head with some greenstuff sideburns on both.

IMG_4686.jpeg

IMG_4687.jpeg

IMG_4688.jpeg

IMG_4689.jpeg

IMG_4691.jpeg

• Options
    Orks are just the best

• Options
    Havocs done!

bu5rfa30874w.jpg

Only 8 models and a handful of arms left to finish for this weekend.

• Options
    It took a year but I finally feel confident enough in my painting skills to tackle the LoV vehicles. So many bits on these things though, damn.

ax5ltdwgf5h5.jpg

• Options
    how do you prime the clear canopies? masking I guess

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    how do you prime the clear canopies? masking I guess

I'm still not sure how I want to do the canopies, so they are set aside at the moment.

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    With falcons and vypers I would set them aside and do by hand
    I see on ebay all to often where people just painted over them

• Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    Clear paint on the inside and hand-lined struts, inside and outside. Plus a gloss varnish top coat because acrylic paint doesn’t like to stick to the transparent plastic directly.

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    DayspringDayspring the Phoenician Registered User regular
    paint canopies black, pilot becomes a free head and torso for kitbashing B)

My Warhammer stuff online: Youtube Twitter Insta
  • Options
    KhraulKhraul Registered User regular
    Havocs done!

bu5rfa30874w.jpg

This red is insanely crisp. What’s your recipe?

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Options
    edited October 2023
    Khraul wrote: »
    Havocs done!

bu5rfa30874w.jpg

This red is insanely crisp. What’s your recipe?

Thanks!

AP Dragon Red base coat, GW Nightshade wash, then build it back up with Dragon Red to AP Pure Red.

It comes out a little brighter than the dark crimson Word Bearers should be but I’m still really happy with it.

Sharp101 on