Options

A [debate] thread for symmetry’s sake

• Options
    The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    the best final fantasy is 8 because you play a bunch of moody teens and their shitty teacher

7656367.jpg
  • Options
    also doom train is there

7656367.jpg
  • Options
    LucedesLucedes might be real Registered User regular
    i feel like VIII occupies the “perfect time and place” slot for me, rating higher than it should, but really it just has the best music, minigames, and aesthetic

gameplay it’s FFTA2, or V if that doesn’t count.

overall favorite probably IX because it’s solid and has some of my favorite characters in the series (Freya, Beatrix, Quina, Vivi)

i got bored and quit XIII five hours in, much like VI, i think they’re maybe the worst in the series for me, but also i haven’t played II or XV yet.

• Options
    UrielUriel Registered User regular
    Can you suplex the train

• Options
    the train suplexes you

7656367.jpg
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited October 2023
    7 is my eternal fave
    ironically I don't like any of the spinoff and sequel material, but I have yet to try the Remake games

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    edited October 2023
    I like final fantasy IX

Vivi is real and strong and is my friend

Uriel on
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    I’ve never tried all dressed chips. I’d like to but I’ve never seen them.

Current favorite is the Ritz toasted chip sour cream and onion. Love those guys.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    ZavianZavian universal peace sounds better than forever war Registered User regular
    final fantasy X on the PS2 was my first FF, so it's my nostalgia pick for favorite

• Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    7 is my eternal fave
    ironically I don't like any of the spinoff and sequel material, but I have yet to try the Remake games

You actually can play as Bahamut Zero in Type-0(very, very briefly). I love the game, but I freely admit it's a hot mess.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tRyyd7Sgfu8&t=6s

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    Remember final fantasy xi?

I never played much of it but you could play that card game in the online client if the servers were down

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    the best final fantasy is 8 because you play a bunch of moody teens and their shitty hot teacher

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    sponospono Mining for Nose Diamonds Booger CoveRegistered User regular
    I have fond memories of playing 8 an hour at a time on the train to work for like a year

Emulated on my shitty eeePC with a wired 360 controller

640qocnq4ske.gif
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    I have an achievement for completing 8 without ever leveling up once because I was determined not to engage with the game's systems beyond what it took to break it in half with junctions and Triple Triad

• Options
    miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    was reminded about the biggest OH SHIT moment in the whole game

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K2f1mA_RVc4

also i didn't notice til now gilgamesh's shitty wooden/cardboard arms, that detail somehow escaped my notice as a kid

uc3ufTB.png
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    That was a cool moment but Seifer absolutely did not deserve it

• Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    I probably would have enjoyed that a lot more had I known who Gilgamesh was at the time.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    I had no idea who Gilgamesh was when I got that scene and was still pretty hyped.

• Options
    Bizzaro StormyBizzaro Stormy I am Bizzaro Stormy. I am Bizzaro Stormy.Registered User regular
    I am Bizzaro Stormy.

• Options
    ProlegomenaProlegomena Frictionless Spinning The VoidRegistered User regular
    finally

• Options
    Death of RatsDeath of Rats Registered User regular
    I am Bizzaro Stormy.

Man I hear that.

No I don't.
  • Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    edited October 2023
    here's my definitive ranked list of every Final Fantasy game*
    1. XIV (Not Stormblood)
    2. The first like 4 or 5 hours of VII Remake
    3. TIE: The first third (I think) of XV AND XIV: Stormblood
    4. The first couple dungeons of Crystal Chronicles
    5. The first 2 or 3 hours of XII
    6. The first half of the first disc of VIII

*that I have played

Crippl3 on
  • Options
    KruiteKruite Registered User regular
    You should finish tactics if you have not done so. One of the more interesting endings in the whole series and it's pretty easy to do

• Options
    Romanian My EscutcheonRomanian My Escutcheon Two of Forks Registered User regular
    Lucedes wrote: »
    oh no wait i got this, a debate for the ages: which final fantasy is best?

Kingdom Hearts 2

[IMG][/img]
  • Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    I miss Final Fantasy Record Keeper.

• Options
    HeadCreepsHeadCreeps NOW IS THE TIME FOR DRINKING! Registered User regular
    I didn't start playing the FF series until the Playstation era, so VII, VIII, and IX are my main jams, with IX being at the top

That being said, Tetra Master is a weak and poorly-explained mess, whereas Triple Triad is near perfection

vEaRQgH.png
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    edited October 2023
    Tetra Master has massive amounts of RNG and the actual mechanics are arcane, while Triple Triad is entirely deterministic with simple rules. It's not even a contest.

Polaritie on
    Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    oh no wait i got this, a debate for the ages: which final fantasy is best?

Kingdom Hearts 2

yoko shimomura IS blood, it's true

• Options
    H0b0manH0b0man Registered User regular
    Not counting the MMOs, cause I consider those to be a different beast to the single player ones, the top 3 FFs are:

1. 10
    2. 7R
    3. 9 (Though the trance system can go jump off a cliff)

I really need to get the pixel remaster collection. The only game from 1-6 that I've played is 4 and I know everybody goes on about how good 6 is. It's on the list of games I want to get to eventually. Though I'm curious how my impression of it will change due to already knowing the big twist/event in that game.

FFXIV: Agran Trask
  • Options
    DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    edited October 2023
    anyone who doesn't rank 8 at least third place is an absolute lunatic with a madman's dream

edit: the soundtrack alone

Maybe I'm a Lion

Don't be Afraid

Balamb Garden Theme

The Man with the Machine Gun

Depressperado on
  • Options
    the original FF is groundbreaking and a unique vision of fantasy with a cool blend of influences.
    II is a weird bird and i haven't played it.
    III sets the stage for a lot of mechanical innovations that later become V, Tactics, and Bravely Default.
    V is an underrated gem with some very difficult and stupid sequences in it.
    IV and VI are more character-driven mechanically and have a larger focus on coherent story, which pays off if that's what you're looking for most.

• Options
    H0b0manH0b0man Registered User regular
    anyone who doesn't rank 8 at least third place is an absolute lunatic with a madman's dream

edit: the soundtrack alone

Maybe I'm a Lion

Don't be Afraid

Balamb Garden Theme

The Man with the Machine Gun

I like 8 even if the story goes not only off the rails but off the entire damn continent towards the end.

Man with the Machine Gun is an absolute banger though and is one of my favorite battle themes in the entire series.

FFXIV: Agran Trask
  • Options
    DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    also in the original version (not sure about the remaster) the Garden's headmaster looked like Robin Williams

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User, Moderator mod
    the original FF is groundbreaking and a unique vision of fantasy with a cool blend of influences.
    II is a weird bird and i haven't played it.
    III sets the stage for a lot of mechanical innovations that later become V, Tactics, and Bravely Default.
    V is an underrated gem with some very difficult and stupid sequences in it.
    IV and VI are more character-driven mechanically and have a larger focus on coherent story, which pays off if that's what you're looking for most.

II is sort of the prototype for what IV refines, the first time they tried wedding video game RPG mechanics to storytelling tools like actual characters who have dialogues with each other and cutscenes.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    ZavianZavian universal peace sounds better than forever war Registered User regular
    DEBATE: If there were to be another Final Fantasy game remake (like FF7R), which entry would you like to see get remade? And would you like it to be in the form of one single game or split like FF7R?

• Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    FF7 Remake but it's actually just a remake.

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    Zavian wrote: »
    DEBATE: If there were to be another Final Fantasy game remake (like FF7R), which entry would you like to see get remade? And would you like it to be in the form of one single game or split like FF7R?

Maybe I'm a basic bitch, but 6

I know the temptation would be to split off World of Ruin, but I think part of its efficacy is that the world ends and the story IMMEDIATELY continues, so I'd kind of prefer to keep it one contiguous experience

• Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    Zavian wrote: »

• Options
    I was going to joke and say they should remake super Mario RPG but they are already doing that

• Options
    I never cared for 7 and 8 very much at all at the time

Partly because I liked 6 and was being all "before it was cool" and partly because I didn't enjoy the aesthetic of the characters as much in the move to 3d and also the whole scifi modern character designs and stuff

I've still never beaten either of them