Options

A [debate] thread for symmetry’s sake

• Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    Oh, favorite fish to eat?

Steelhead trout

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    pookapooka Registered User regular
    I thought about being sassy, but instead I learned a thing:
    https://www.sacnaturecenter.net/visit-us/nature-blog/ask-a-naturalist-are-steelhead-trout-and-rainbow-trout-the-same-species/

(I don't know how I woulda been sassy, but)

lfchwLd.jpg
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    Salmon is a garbage fish.

there are some bears in the alley asking you to step outside

Well bears eat actual garbage so they're not proving me wrong here.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Chall wrote: »
    I'm raising a motion that every SE++ thread have a number added by the mods next to the title that shows how many pages of "topic" are discussed before the thread devolves into Food Chat.

For example, this threads title would be A [debate] thread for symmetry’s sake (0)
    where 0 indicates the food chat started before completing a full page of Debate of whatever

This way, savvy posters will know how many pages to skip to get to the interesting potato chip thread

Every food discussion in SE++ is a debate though

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    Salmon is a garbage fish.

there are some bears in the alley asking you to step outside

Well bears eat actual garbage so they're not proving me wrong here.

The only reason we call processed stuff food instead of trash is because of marketing

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Zonugal wrote: »

Steelhead trout

Grilled steelhead is GOATed

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular

Steelhead trout

Up the ante there by cooking it over a campfire right after catching it.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    Pan-fried sole with a squeeze of lemon is divine

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User, Moderator mod
    pooka wrote: »
    https://www.sacnaturecenter.net/visit-us/nature-blog/ask-a-naturalist-are-steelhead-trout-and-rainbow-trout-the-same-species/

Neat!

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    asofyeunasofyeun Registered User regular
    H-Mart really is great

every H-Mart i've been to has had restaurant stalls inside and the food is pretty good and reasonably priced

• Options
    JokermanJokerman Everything EverywhereRegistered User regular

Steelhead trout

I like a Sheephead myself

23yujca9hp9v.png

• Options
    asofyeun wrote: »
    H-Mart really is great

every H-Mart i've been to has had restaurant stalls inside and the food is pretty good and reasonably priced

There's this amazing international grocery store in Atlanta that has a fucking fantastic food court. If I lived in Atlanta I would eat there every day.

• Options
    DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    scallops and clams and oysters, that's my trio right there

• Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    There's an international food store chain in MD and VA called Lotte Market and they completely rule, they basically run the Spirit of Halloween playbook and take over failed chain grocery stores and replace the boring standard merchandise with food from Asia (including India, which is clutch) and Latin America and even a little from Africa. If you're near one you should definitely check it out.

• Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    pooka wrote: »

That's so fucking weird! Life is so cool, goddamn.

• Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    Peen wrote: »
    There's an international food store chain in MD and VA called Lotte Market and they completely rule, they basically run the Spirit of Halloween playbook and take over failed chain grocery stores and replace the boring standard merchandise with food from Asia (including India, which is clutch) and Latin America and even a little from Africa. If you're near one you should definitely check it out.

We have a place like that around here called World Market. They crop up in old defunct supermarkets and department store buildings, and they rule. There’s always a section of international candies (I load up on marzipan), and a section of fancy sodas (where I always get the craziest root beers I see). Lots of good Indian middle eastern foods and spices and sauces, too.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    ThroThro pgroome@penny-arcade.com Registered User regular
    Peen wrote: »

We have a place like that around here called World Market. They crop up in old defunct supermarkets and department store buildings, and they rule. There’s always a section of international candies (I load up on marzipan), and a section of fancy sodas (where I always get the craziest root beers I see). Lots of good Indian middle eastern foods and spices and sauces, too.
    We have both of those! World Market is quite different from Lotte though, so maybe not the same place? Our World Markets are kinda like a very upscale version of Lotte, with random stuff in it from Pier One. Good chocolate and fancy tea selection.
    Lotte is more like, what if instead of an isle we just gave Goya a quarter of the store? Also here's a cucumber with spikes on it that we're calling an Indian bitter melon for some reason, raw fermented crab, spicy raw fermented crab, peptang flavored potato chips, squid flavored peanuts, a third kind of avocado, and a completely unnecessary amount of jackfruit.
    Also Lotte is way cheaper. Oh, and you only have 3 days to eat whatever exciting produce you just bought.

• Options
    A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    webguy20 wrote: »

Steelhead trout

Little fresh lemon and dill. Crisp that skin up. That's the business right there.

Fuck. Now I want to go fly fishing

vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
  • Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Goya having a quarter of the store is just going to the grocery store in the right neighborhood

• Options
    chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    Catching up on this thread, I learned that Tim's was bought by Utz.
    Bringing worlds together.

• Options
    TasteticleTasteticle Registered User regular
    What's the difference between soup and broth??

Uh-oh I accidentally deleted my signature. Uh-oh!!
  • Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    Tasteticle wrote: »
    What's the difference between soup and broth??

That’s for god to decide, and on a personal note I think it’s rude to bring that sort of question to this tribunal.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    broth is clear liquid, soup is a dish consisting of a broth with other stuff in it

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    A broth you can quaff but a soup you should sip

• Options
    OptyOpty Registered User regular
    Broth is made from flesh, stock is made from bones, soup is made from souls

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular

Steelhead trout

Little fresh lemon and dill. Crisp that skin up. That's the business right there.

Never been fly fishing, but it looks super fun.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    asofyeunasofyeun Registered User regular
    what's the difference between stock and a broth

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular

Dividends

• Options
    SkeithSkeith Registered User regular

A stock isn't seasoned.

aTBDrQE.jpg
  • Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    Opty wrote: »
    Broth is made from flesh, stock is made from bones, soup is made from souls

I think soup is made from stones?

• Options
    LucedesLucedes might be real Registered User regular
    my partner made lentil soup and instead of using stock used leftover extra flavoring packets from ramen

MSG is amazing, soup turned out very very good

• Options
    TefTef Registered User regular
    Oh! Soup OF the soul! This whole time I thought it was soup FOR the soul!

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    edited October 2023
    Skeith wrote: »

A stock isn't seasoned.

usually you make stock by boiling bones with vegetables tho

google thinks the difference is stock=bones, broth=flesh

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    edited October 2023

A stock isn't seasoned.

Edit: Looking into it, the terms don't really seem to have significant differentiation. Stock, if you're distinguishing it, emphasizes the use of the bones specifically, as far as I can tell. (Plus the requisite longer cooking time, and higher gelatin content)

Polaritie on
    Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    edited October 2023
    In my mind broth is thin, clear, soup. Soup is thicker, better broth. There is overlap when you have thin clear broth with chunky stuff in it, which I would class as a soup. Unless it's really loads of chunks, then baby you got a stew going.

And stock is stuff you make to use in making other things. Nobody sits down to eat a bowl of stock. Do they?

Brovid Hasselsmof on
  • Options
    LucedesLucedes might be real Registered User regular
    so... you're saying... i don't pour hot stone soup directly onto the stones?

i've been doing it wrong this whole time?

• Options
    ProlegomenaProlegomena Frictionless Spinning The VoidRegistered User regular
    Lucedes wrote: »
    so... you're saying... i don't pour hot stone soup directly onto the stones?

i've been doing it wrong this whole time?

apply directly to the forehead

• Options
    ZavianZavian universal peace sounds better than forever war Registered User regular
    edited October 2023
    whats the difference between south and north on a compass

none because compasses were made up by some old people who died centuries ago

Zavian on
  • Options
    DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular

Steelhead trout

Never been fly fishing, but it looks super fun.

my grandpa tried to teach me once but I managed to hook the back of my own head twice so he let me just play around in the woods while he fished

man, he was a bad babysitter

• Options
    Polaritie wrote: »

A stock isn't seasoned.

Edit: Looking into it, the terms don't really seem to have significant differentiation. Stock, if you're distinguishing it, emphasizes the use of the bones specifically, as far as I can tell. (Plus the requisite longer cooking time, and higher gelatin content)

But what about vegetable stock? Does Celery have bones?