As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[BATTLETECH/Mechwarrior] At MWO, we have TheB33f (queue)!

• NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    edited November 2023
  • DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    edited November 2023
    As I keep playing, it remains kind of funny how much it doesn't seem to actually make much economic sense in MW5 to go for harder missions. The money prizes aren't bigger enough compared to the ease of obtaining them, plus the fact that high level conflict zones go from "repairing in the conflict zone is +25% on cheapo repairs, you can easily repair while traveling between systems and not stop missioning" to "repairing in the conflict zone is +120% time and price on expensive repairs that already take longer and more money".

It's like, I could get four million C-Bills with a mission that asks for 320 tons of mech, all of which will need long to repair because in high level missions stuff just gets damaged because TTK is higher, which means I have to keep a stable of hella expensive heavies or spend a bunch of time (and thus bills) and money going back and forth from industrial zones. Or I could get 2 million C-Bills clean in a difficulty 25 mission I can run in a few minutes with a lance of Jenners and Firestarters, take 20K C-bills in damages, and be ready for next mission in two days. Not helped by how the early missions tend to make Steiner and Kurita hate your guts, so you're doing all the higher difficulty missions at negative negotiation so often you end up getting paid less gross even before costs!

I'm still advancing, obviously, because that's the progression, but it feels like in-character a smart merc would very much stay at a reasonable level and just farm the conflicts between Davin/Kurita and Liao/Steiner for piles of easy cash before retiring!

In other news, been getting some Assaults now. I don't know if the Victor is fragile or the CPU just hates it or that pilot is a suicide bunny, but I swear to god every second mission ends like
    xz61cijy6lgd.jpg

For myself I am much preferring to stick to my Marauder and Quickdraw though. I got a special Orion from a quest and I removed all the LRMs and just turned it into an SRM-based coring shotgun, too, since engagements often happen at such knife distances.

I just want the game to fucking drop me a mech with a melee slot. I got a Tier 5 Assault Claymore from a random ass mission four entire reputation levels ago and I still haven't found one mech with a melee slot beyond the Hatchetman and Assassin you get with the quest!

Drascin on
    Steam ID: Right here.
    IoloNipscB557
    I think melee slots are normally on Pirate mechs, so keep an eye out for missions against them.

• HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    Drascin wrote: »
    As I keep playing, it remains kind of funny how much it doesn't seem to actually make much economic sense in MW5 to go for harder missions. The money prizes aren't bigger enough compared to the ease of obtaining them, plus the fact that high level conflict zones go from "repairing in the conflict zone is +25% on cheapo repairs, you can easily repair while traveling between systems and not stop missioning" to "repairing in the conflict zone is +120% time and price on expensive repairs that already take longer and more money".

It's like, I could get four million C-Bills with a mission that asks for 320 tons of mech, all of which will need long to repair because in high level missions stuff just gets damaged because TTK is higher, which means I have to keep a stable of hella expensive heavies or spend a bunch of time (and thus bills) and money going back and forth from industrial zones. Or I could get 2 million C-Bills clean in a difficulty 25 mission I can run in a few minutes with a lance of Jenners and Firestarters, take 20K C-bills in damages, and be ready for next mission in two days. Not helped by how the early missions tend to make Steiner and Kurita hate your guts, so you're doing all the higher difficulty missions at negative negotiation so often you end up getting paid less gross even before costs!

I'm still advancing, obviously, because that's the progression, but it feels like in-character a smart merc would very much stay at a reasonable level and just farm the conflicts between Davin/Kurita and Liao/Steiner for piles of easy cash before retiring!

In other news, been getting some Assaults now. I don't know if the Victor is fragile or the CPU just hates it or that pilot is a suicide bunny, but I swear to god every second mission ends like
    xz61cijy6lgd.jpg

For myself I am much preferring to stick to my Marauder and Quickdraw though. I got a special Orion from a quest and I removed all the LRMs and just turned it into an SRM-based coring shotgun, too, since engagements often happen at such knife distances.

I just want the game to fucking drop me a mech with a melee slot. I got a Tier 5 Assault Claymore from a random ass mission four entire reputation levels ago and I still haven't found one mech with a melee slot beyond the Hatchetman and Assassin you get with the quest!

In MW5 the C-Bills are increasingly just there for repairs. Real money comes from salvage.

Also it depends on the variant but imo almost every mech is fragile because the default variants very much tend to skimp on armor.

Admittedly it's been a long time since I've played without mods :tongue:

HefflingNips
    edited November 2023
    I finally got a mech with a melee slot - it's a Griffin so it's only medium, so I gave it a tier 3 mace, painted it white and gold, maxed its armor, and named it Cleric. Is it good? Not even remotely. Is it fun to just BONK people's fucking torsos off? Absolutely.

In other news, difficulty in this game keeps being all over the place. 270 ton random ass difficulty 60 Raid that I cheat into bringing 300 tons for the laughs? Absolute clusterfuck, one point eight million in damages, three months repairs. Quest mission with difficulty 90 that lets you bring 400 tons (to which I fielded like, 310)? Goes like this:
    mymfr14wqomd.jpg

Of all the Assaults I actually have (2 Battlemasters, a Victor, a Zeus, and an Awesome), the Battlemasters are just so much better than the rest, it feels like. The Zeus seems to be a deathtrap - if I put someone in the Zeus, that'll be two months medical leave, every time.

Oh, and also, I got this message just now:
    zmb0wbiz7la7.jpg

Is this worth it? Am I going to get into deep bullshit if I accept? Two years seems a long time.

EDIT: Also, god, I think my rep with Kurita is unsalvageable. I'm at Sworn enemy already. Why does every second quest in Steiner, Liao, and Davion space involve shooting the Draconis combine. I hope they don't sell anything useful!

Drascin on
    BetsuniNobodyIoloNipscB557
  • IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    I finally got a mech with a melee slot - it's a Griffin so it's only medium, so I gave it a tier 3 mace, painted it white and gold, maxed its armor, and named it Cleric. Is it good? Not even remotely. Is it fun to just BONK people's fucking torsos off? Absolutely.

In other news, difficulty in this game keeps being all over the place. 270 ton random ass difficulty 60 Raid that I cheat into bringing 300 tons for the laughs? Absolute clusterfuck, one point eight million in damages, three months repairs. Quest mission with difficulty 90 that lets you bring 400 tons (to which I fielded like, 310)? Goes like this:
    mymfr14wqomd.jpg

Of all the Assaults I actually have (2 Battlemasters, a Victor, a Zeus, and an Awesome), the Battlemasters are just so much better than the rest, it feels like. The Zeus seems to be a deathtrap - if I put someone in the Zeus, that'll be two months medical leave, every time.

zmb0wbiz7la7.jpg

Is this worth it? Am I going to get into deep bullshit if I accept? Two years seems a long time.

EDIT: Also, god, I think my rep with Kurita is unsalvageable. I'm at Sworn enemy already. Why does every second quest in Steiner, Liao, and Davion space involve shooting the Draconis combine. I hope they don't sell anything useful!

Yes, pretty much. :)

These multi-year campaigns are fun but they do really boil down and concentrate some of the issues you've called out with drop weights and the inverse bullshit of cost/repair time in a warzone. You either need a pretty hefty stable of mechs that can fill out your drop weight (since they'll be rotating through repairs for multiple missions) and/or lots of cash on hand to buy mechs off the rack. The first time I tried one of these, I probably had too few mechs, and ended up buying multiple stock heavies and assaults off the various markets (which are by design I suspect stacked with goodies) to get by. I enjoy these long campaigns, but they are a bit breathless and it's a bit deflating to watch your maintenance/payroll costs creep up to 4, 5, 6 million C-Bills.

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    As a note, that Kestrel DLC campaign is time limited as it's a historical campaign that is tied to the in-game year. If you don't accept it before time runs out you will not be able to do it on your current game. You'd have to start a new career or use the DLC game start to play it later.

Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
    NobodyNips
  • HamHamJHamHamJ Registered User regular
    Iolo wrote: »

mymfr14wqomd.jpg

zmb0wbiz7la7.jpg

These multi-year campaigns are fun but they do really boil down and concentrate some of the issues you've called out with drop weights and the inverse bullshit of cost/repair time in a warzone. You either need a pretty hefty stable of mechs that can fill out your drop weight (since they'll be rotating through repairs for multiple missions) and/or lots of cash on hand to buy mechs off the rack. The first time I tried one of these, I probably had too few mechs, and ended up buying multiple stock heavies and assaults off the various markets (which are by design I suspect stacked with goodies) to get by. I enjoy these long campaigns, but they are a bit breathless and it's a bit deflating to watch your maintenance/payroll costs creep up to 4, 5, 6 million C-Bills.

Is that all? On my endgame save my maintenance was like 8+ million. I do have like 2.5 assault lances, 1.5 heavy lances, a dedicated raid lance using a hero(?) Dragon with MASC, and a light lance. I actually kind of regretted importing it for the latest DLC because I would get all these neat mechs as quest rewards but I had no reason to use them... or space in my hanger to keep them.

While racing light mechs, your Urbanmech comes in second place, but only because it ran out of ammo.
    Iolo wrote: »

mymfr14wqomd.jpg

zmb0wbiz7la7.jpg

Well, if they don't ask for very heavy lances, yeah, I have a lot of mechs. I'm kind of a pack rat. Mostly Heavy, with a few mediums, and assaults. Not really, like, "built lances", so to speak, but a solid amount of things to tag in while other stuff is doing repairs - but most of it in the 60 ton range give or take 10 tons. If that will suffice, I can probably manage.

https://mwomercs.com/forums/topic/285882-the-problem-with-the-current-state-of-the-game-and-a-plea-to-pgi-seriously-please/page__st__40__p__6518395#entry6518395

Hints of things to come:

cDHS nerf
    Coolshot nerf
    Possibly more comprehensive ECM nerf
    Command Console rework.

GlalElvenshae
  • HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    @Drascin Mechwarrior 5 has two unique factors that are used to determine the enemy target. First, they look at the damage dealt over the previous 10 seconds, and will prioritize targeting the number one damage dealer. If one of your allies pulls agro, it means that they did more damage than you did in the previous 10 seconds. *Note - This is pilot based.

Secondly, they look for the most vulnerable (damaged) mech and prioritize that target.

Taken together, this means that the player often pulls agro because we generally pilot the best mech for dps, and the AI won't push heat over 80%**. Once we pull agro for DPS, we will hold agro because now our mech is the most damaged.

As far as I can tell, the DPS agro check is given priority or at least higher weight, so if you are taking too much fire, stop shooting back for 10 seconds. In addition to normal stuff like trying to get into cover.

*I am spoiling this section, because if you're a realism purist this could be considered cheating if used.
    Agro is not assigned to the mech, but to the pilot. So if you hit "Y" and swap mechs, the dps agro will follow you. This can be abused to spread damage evenly across your mechs, or to prevent losing critical systems if your main mech is opened up.

**unless it's a weapon config that makes this impossible to satisfy, e.g. 4x ppc that push the mech from 0 to 85% and weapon groups are only 4 at once.

Gnome-InterruptusNobodyIoloDrascinNips
    edited November 2023
    Well, before I accepted the big contract, I figured I had time to knock out one more questline, and a Steiner dude came in telling me about some independentist nutcases having grabbed a giant nuke. Okay, that sounds properly heroic to stop, let's go.

Okay, so that was four missions that suggested 400 ton lances when my heaviest mech was 80 tons. Which, I feel, may have been a bit overconfident.

...and yet until the last one my good old lance of "me in Marauder, two Battlemasters, and a hero Archer raining bullshit" dismantled the missions quite solidly!

That last mission, though. Fucking *ow*. Giant battlefield with a pile of mechs under artillery fire. I must have killed four assaults personally - I wasn't even slightly trying to head or leg them, this was full on "fuck shit fuck" CT backstabbing for minimal TTK in order to live. Including the boss's hero King Crab with quad ultra ACs because of fucking course.

But I got to keep the King Crab! And also some kind of giant Marauder abomination that is also 100 tons! And nobody even died or got totaled!
    smd82oehs1jc.jpg

So I'm calling that one an unmitigated win. And then after setting everything to repair I grabbed the contract. The thing is, though, afterwards I think something has broken in my game? For some reason I'm getting 0/0 shares even if I negotiate for max shares. Look at this:
    rglqt1menr9h.jpg

Thankfully I do have the mod that lets me pay for stuff so if there's something I desperately need I can still buy it, but - is this normal? Is this a bug anyone knows?

Drascin on
    BetsuniNobodyGnome-InterruptusNipsBullheadIanatorHefflingcB557
    And then after setting everything to repair I grabbed the contract. The thing is, though, afterwards I think something has broken in my game? For some reason I'm getting 0/0 shares even if I negotiate for max shares. Look at this:
    rglqt1menr9h.jpg

Thankfully I do have the mod that lets me pay for stuff so if there's something I desperately need I can still buy it, but - is this normal? Is this a bug anyone knows?

That is probably a bug. The results screen shows you failed one of the objectives. That may have incorrectly flagged the entire mission as failed. Failed missions do result in 0 shares but C-Bill payouts for the partially completed objectives. If you're running mods it's possible one of them caused the bug too.

NobodyHappylilElf
    Thing is that was the third mission straight with that issue! I'm hoping today it works when I can play a bit, because going forward with zero shares is going to be a pain in the ass.

Okay, so, it does stay bugged, but if I reload a way earlier save, I can unstick it, seems like.

I do have to restart the Kestrel campaign, which is kind of annoying, but worth it to not have to get zero salvage.

edited November 2023
    Update: I did beat the Kestrel campaign, which wasn't terribly hard - though I'm thankful you can over-ton things a little because since the campaign came in so late, I'd already sold most of my medium mechs because all the missions I was doing were high tonnage and maintenance costs add up, which left me kind of high and dry for some of the smaller tonnage missions if repairs couldn't be completed for the next one because people got shot up. And a couple of the "defend these people" missions required me to go a bit overton too if I wanted to save them, because man, the Crucis Lancers have a death wish, I swear.

Thankfully going in myself with my trusty Firestarter and leaving all the tonnage to the AI so they could run the 60 and 70 tonners without going overweight while I'm just running around setting people on fire and punching their shins off still works beautifully. I love that thing.
    3jj2i3mrtayt.jpg

Also: God, everyone on every side in this universe sucks ass. Crab fucking bucket of a fictional universe.

The campaign also showed that the AI is very not good at navigating - I love the setpiece factories and stuff, but at one point I had to spend literally half an hour manually getting each memeber of my party across a ramp because they all just kept walking off the edge and walking against a wall. But also it's hilarious to see an enemy Catapult just shoot their missiles into a rock because they're walking against it.

I am also kind of sort of regretting buying Call To Arms? Simply because I just hit reputation level 15, I've played a pile of missions, I may be 60 hours into this campaign, and I have yet to see a second fucking mech with a melee slot (outside of the ones the game is literally obligated to give you from the quest). I got my Griffin With A Mace, but that is it. Zero other melee mechs in I don't even know how many missions. Other than Cleric, all the use I've gotten out of it is putting some brass knuckles on my Firestarter and Full Close Range Laser Burst Quickdraw to supplement the fact that I'm already close anyway. Let me use the fucking claymores, game!

Overall still having fun with the game.

Drascin on
    BetsuniNobodyGnome-InterruptusIoloNipsHeffling

I am also kind of sort of regretting buying Call To Arms? Simply because I just hit reputation level 15, I've played a pile of missions, I may be 60 hours into this campaign, and I have yet to see a second fucking mech with a melee slot (outside of the ones the game is literally obligated to give you from the quest). I got my Griffin With A Mace, but that is it. Zero other melee mechs in I don't even know how many missions. Other than Cleric, all the use I've gotten out of it is putting some brass knuckles on my Firestarter and Full Close Range Laser Burst Quickdraw to supplement the fact that I'm already close anyway. Let me use the fucking claymores, game!

You can find them in stores, but I believe they are all at least uncommon or rare so are harder to find among all the other mechs in the store's RNG pool. Taurian Corridor, Outworld Alliance Border, or Alarion Periphery conflict zones are probably your best bet for finding one in a store.

And since they are all non-canon variants, you'll need to be fighting Pirate, Independent, or Periphery factions in your missions to get them to spawn instead of fighting the main factions. The Atlas P for example is only available to the Pirate and Periphery factions.

NobodyDrascin
    Well, right after after complaining here. As usual, the only way to cow the desire sensor is to complain on the internet:
    9ms3zseurked.jpg

It's a Charger, with all the issues that implies, but still, it's a big boy smashy with slots to put in some SRMs too for full Unga Bunga.

Still, I'll try to see if I can find those areas you mention and try to get more of these guys. Besides, the refit for this is going to take five months.

NobodyGnome-InterruptusBetsuniIoloNipsElvenshaecB557
    edited November 2023
    MWO November patch notes

Onyx is the name of the Centurion Legend, only one this month.

New map: Bearclaw II. A large (mostly underground) winter map.

Minor update: They've added a more festive theme to the mechlab.

Weapon updates:
    Ammo buffs to all AC classes (including UACs and LBX) except 10s.
    Heavy Gauss ammo buff
    HAGs got a spread reduction tied to heat and cooldown increase. Overall nerf.
    BLCs are untied from Standard Large Laser quirks (they continue to benefit from "Standard Laser" quirks though). Some mechs which had SLL quirks have gotten requirked to compensate

Equipment updates:
    Coolshots now have increased duration and lower strength (now 2 hps over 7 seconds instead of 4.667 over 3)
    Command Console is been replaced with "Advanced Sensor Package."

Advanced Sensor Package Stats:
    Can only be placed on Inner Sphere Heavies and Assaults, and only in the Head component
    Slots: 1
    Tons: 1.5
    Sensor Boost: 10%
    Targeting Time Boost: 42.5%
    Zoom Level 1: 2.5x
    Zoom Level 2: 4x
    Advanced Zoom Level: 7x

Quirk updates:
    Viper (legend, nerfed)
    Centurions (A, AH, YLW, cleanup/buff)
    Thunderbolt (5S, BLC correction)
    Orions (All, buff)
    Clan Annihilator (nerf)
    Marauder II (4A, BLC correction)

Adjustments:
    ACW missiles now load top down
    CN9-AH and CN9-YLW had LAA removed
    Wolfhound RA hitbox fixed (!)

Nobody on
    BetsuniIoloNipsGnome-Interruptus
  • GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    Nobody wrote: »
    Weapon updates:
    Ammo buffs to all AC classes (including UACs and LBX)
    *excited gasp!*
    ...except 10s.
    *sound of balloon deflating*

• NipsNips He/Him Luxuriating in existential crisis.Registered User regular
    Its is well and truly interesting and encouraging to me that MWO is getting more than just maintenance updates and numbers tweaks.

Like, I know the engine's old, and the playerbase is narrow AF but also sharp like a knife 'cause all the casuals (see: me) fell off, but I'm glad it's still kicking around.

I'd love to take a day or two over holidays to get some stompy bot action in. Haven't touched a 'Mech in gods knows how long at this point, and I can feel the itch coming back.

JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
    BetsuniNobodyAvalonGuardGlalGnome-InterruptusIololazegamerElvenshaeitalianranma
  • AvalonGuardAvalonGuard Registered User regular
    Whenever I've dipped in I've found it to be pretty random but fairly even in terms of skill levels playing, even with the small playerbase. There will be killers, but they tend to only dominate on certain maps, and there aren't exactly a lot of murderlances out there anymore, either, so you rarely see more than a couple of those a game, if that.

For every nutso sniper out there there's a LRM800 boat with no tag whining about no one locking mechs for him but he's under my flanking ECM bubble and doesn't know why he can't hit anything.

Gnome-InterruptusNipsHefflingIolo
    Update: So the melee charger is working pretty alright:
    4i3goiiooygz.jpg

Since its flat head reminds me of WALL-E, I have named it SMASH-E. I only wish the giant fuckoff axe actually had the range it looks like it should have, I miss so much!

And hilariously I've gotten a couple more melee units - a Trebuchet and a Phoenix Hawk. The Trebuchet has a surprising amount of guns available on top of the mace, too.

BetsuniNobodyIoloNipsGnome-InterruptusHefflingIanator
    Dev streamed a run through Bearclaw II:

Of note, somebody pointed out that there's a folder labeled "moistlands" near the top on his desktop. Reports are that it's a "side project" but that's all that's been said so far.

Rumor has it that AP Gauss and Magshots are in the next batch of new weapons

And in a move that's a surprise, the expected mech pack is now available for sale:

n4a1sc5rstdr.png

https://mwomercs.com/longbow

BetsuniBullheadIanatorNipsElvenshaeironsizide
    edited November 2023
    So, BT2018.

I'm considering mucking about with mods.

Any specific thoughts on particular conversions? I think there's BEX, Roguetech, and BTA3062?

AvalonGuard on
  • manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    edited November 2023
    I'm currently trying out BEX right now which has added complexity and runs the entire timeline through the Clan invasions and Fedcom Civil War/Word of Blake wars. It's supposedly a good halfway measure between vanilla and the very scary (to me) Roguetech which is a FULL simulation of the tabletop.

Beaglerush who was pretty well known for his X-COM LPs has done a BEX run streaming. This video has a good look at some of the mechanics, modded mechs, and systems if you want to see if its your deal.

https://youtu.be/s1CfOJG2diw?si=digPu95GVcNRgcY7

I will say despite the added complexity like a stress system, fatigue system, and way more parts and weapons, the game is pretty manageable. The other mods really help the moment to moment gameplay feel snappier and more responsive. Weapons and movement are much faster and the tweaked sound and visuals have a bit more impact to them now.

manwiththemachinegun on
    AvalonGuardIoloBullheadHadesNipsElvenshae
  • BullheadBullhead Registered User regular
    BEX is great, though I disable fatigue on every playthrough

96058.png?1619393207
    Heffling
  • manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    I'm also a big fan of the portrait replacer mod. It lets you turn any picture into something you can use for your commander. And there's an add-on that lets you replace your first four mechwarriors with art drawn versions. It's great, because the CGI models don't thrill me.

Got Dragon's Gambit, decided to finally do the MW5 campaign since Dragon's Gambit directly ties into the end of it. Only running IS tech YAML stuff (no clans, no extra mechs).

My first assault? A Longbow that I salvaged from the target in a campaign mission.

Currently working on the side stuff because I'm maybe a year out on Kestrel's start and the main campaign has just hit the Draconis Combine section. Luckily I have a sizeable stable of mechs for Kestrel and a few level 60 pilots.

BetsuniNipsGnome-Interruptus
    edited December 2023
    For folks playing MWO currently and wondering why the server keeps crashing when you try to get in and play a game: https://mwomercs.com/news/2023/11/2810-mwo-status-update-known-issues-2-dec-1st

TLDR: Solaris was a ticking time bomb. They're working on fixing it which should also speed up load times since...a long time.

More detailed:
    Cryengine tries to preload all IDs.
    When adding the Onyx, Longbow, and loyalty mechs in the November patch, they managed to hit the theoretical max of 22,228 IDs.
    Majority of the IDs are bolt-ons at 12,381 (55%)
    They're working on a consolidation that will reduce the items in the DB down to 10,431, of which only 591 are bolt-ons, for the December patch.

EDIT: Just saw this explanation for the massive number of bolt-on IDs, which should help explain how it got that bad:
    Because if the design of the system it had unique IDs for each mech for each flag for each location.

ID 1 Atlas Davion Flag Left
    ID 2 Atlas Davion Flag Back
    ID 3 Atlas Davion Flag Right

So the # IDS for IS Flag bolt-ons would be (# IS Chassis) 68 x (# of IS Factions) 7 x 3 (Back,Left,Right) = 1478 IDs
    Now the math is IS Flag bolt ons = (# of IS Factions) 7 x 3 (Back,Left,Right) = 21 IDs

Same Maths for Clan Flags, MechCon Flags, ETC
    (and don't get me started on the the Horns with color variations.)

I like Bolt-ons in general but I prefer bespoke chassis bolt-ons like the Zeus Fins or the stuff we are doing for legends.
    Thankfully after freeing up 10,000 Item IDs and considering we add about 1000 Items a year for the Database we should be able to go 10 more years before we have this problem again :)

Nobody on
    Gnome-InterruptusGlalBetsuniElvenshaeAvalonGuardIanatorBullhead
    Doomsaying it now: MWO finally dies to somebody dropping the database in the coming week(s), and there's no suitable way to recover it.

Optimistically Instead: That's one hell of a database optimization! It's kind of amazing how much the bolt-on stuff bloated their database.

JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
    ElvenshaeBetsuniAvalonGuardNobodyGnome-Interruptus
    If they’re careful about backing up their database in anyway it’s super hard to fuck up so bad it’s unrecoverable.

It’s PGI though, so uh, there’s that tiny kernel of “uhoh” potential.

Elvenshae
  • GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    Bolt-ons are an interesting system to me, because in theory they should be very attractive... yet, somehow, they've managed to make 90% of them utterly unappealing. Oh, I can make my mech look like trash? And I pay real money for the privilege! Ohboy!

NipsElvenshae
    on a more fun note, a redeem code for a free HTM-27W: CS23-EQV5JDX

Only good for a couple of days so use it quick.

AvalonGuardBetsuniIoloGnome-InterruptusGlallazegamerBullheadElvenshae
  • BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular

Awesome. Thank you!

https://mwomercs.com/profile/redeem

Link for to redeem the code.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
    NobodyAvalonGuardIoloGlalNipsBullhead
    Started my BEX run. As a BT fan I never thought I would say this, but I have a pair of Vulcans and I love them to death.

Nipsmanwiththemachinegun

Betsuni wrote: »

Awesome. Thank you!

https://mwomercs.com/profile/redeem

Link for to redeem the code.

Thank you both! My IS and Clan accounts both appreciate the head's up and easy linkage.