Options

Only Post in this thread if it’s a day ending in “Y”

2»

• Options
    UrielUriel Registered User regular
    edited November 2023
    If I can see a clock I get anxious

Edit

If I can't see a clock I also get anxious which is what I meant to say but also both are true statements

Uriel on
  • Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    edited November 2023
    If you (yes you) haven't read Time and the Machine by Aldous Huxley, you should! He basically said industrialized time is bullshit and bad for people, but better than that, because he was a good writer.

Edit: ok I can't find a link to the text I like but it's not hard to find.

Edit edit: before someone brings it up, yes he says some culturally insensitive stuff, he was a white guy at the turn of the twentieth century, it comes with the territory but I don't think it invalidates his central thesis.

Peen on
  • Options
    pookapooka Registered User regular
    edited November 2023
    Just thought of a fun phrasing to encapsulate my point: “Hours, Seconds, and the twenty-four hour day is just as manufactured as the QWERTY keyboard.”
    An apt comparison given QWERTY's origin.
    The actual forward movement through the 4th dimension isn't a human construct though... unless you think about it as only appearing to move through that dimension because of our perception of it that way?
    I am an armchair philosopher at best, so pardon this off-the-cuff reply.

Tim is a goat Chris. Which autocorrect decided to substitute for "Time is a flat circle."
    Depending on your climate....
    Days, you can measure: sun vs stars.
    Months: how much of the moon is visible in its turning.
    Years: winters.
    These are physical cycles measurable through simple means.

So, a circular, or more accurately, a spiralic understanding of similar but unique events. One can recognize change without attributing it to strict linear, ie, one-dimensional sequential causality; it is a convenient method of marking time, but Winter doesn't follow Winter. Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter, repeat in flowing intricate cycles.

The current moment is most present, but it is not more real than the past or future.

The choices of the past inform Now but can be reframed; we are in active conversation with our ancestors and those who come after. In a holistic sense -- not just humans or our direct relatives, but the environment and everything within. Experience is measured in community rather than the abstract.

Call it the geoweb or butterfly effect, but time can be the waters we swim in rather than formalized and stagnant history, one-way cause-effect.

The idea of 'progress' (a timebound, 'forward-looking' concept) often diminishes the importance of the past and anything seen as traditional, and as such falls into a lot of harmful colonialist trappings. At least for Westerners, it often emphasizes some Great Man who overcomes and improves, rather than legitimizing any community or previous discoveries.

On an individual level, it positions us as an objective observer experiencing continuity strictly from our responses to an escalating series of discrete occurrences. It biases us to our limited view, stripping us of context and self-awareness by emphasizing individual effort over societal, cultural, or environmental influences.

It also disallows process that values or just accepts failure. If things are not obviously and immediately 'good', we get stressed. When perceiving setbacks and even tragedy as an aberration rather than part of the natural cycle, it is hard to find comfort or resilience when it inevitably occurs. The pithy translated Buddhist expression is, "Life is suffering," but it just means that difficulty is part of life.

If you view time as transformative, looking to the past and future for guidance, it becomes easier to create a niche for oneself that recognizes your smallness but doesn't negate your importance. You are a small but equally essential cog in the big machine; individual but not alone. There is so much to experience, but just being alive is valid, an achievement, a celebration of existence. Continuity in community, or if you like, in communion.

Cultural interpretations aside, Time as linear, singular movement is still a perspective, not inherent -- how does it account for time dilation? There's a reason the space-time continuum can be referred to as such; it is a field that events occur within, not a necessary structure for those movements. The possibility of multiple universes is a philosophical and math/physics puzzle, but also questions time from/as a biographical perspective.

Anyway, my brain is full, so, time to stop blathering.

pooka on
    lfchwLd.jpg
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User, Moderator mod
    Hmm, yes, timecube, indeed.

Happy daylight savings eve to those who celebrate.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    Oh shit, I almost forgot tonight is the night where my dark bargain for an extra hour of sleep results in a dearth of daylight and increased misery for everyone for the next six months.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    pookapooka Registered User regular

Well, for my stuff, less pseudoscience and more Indigenous perspectives.

lfchwLd.jpg
  • Options
    LucedesLucedes might be real Registered User regular
    Tim IS a goat tho

• Options
    TefTef Registered User regular
    Veldrin wrote: »
    oi scarnon cunce

omg you can’t just talk like this out in public!! You know the North Americans can’t say that word!!

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    I’m glad this thread turned into a discussion that sparks my existential dread

• Options
    pooka wrote: »

Well, for my stuff, less pseudoscience and more Indigenous perspectives.

Ah, fair enough.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    I took a very interesting course in college, whose theme was time in literature. The professor blamed trains for getting everyone obsessed with time.

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    I took a very interesting course in college, whose theme was time in literature. The professor blamed trains for getting everyone obsessed with time.

I don’t understand what a line of people having sex together has to do with time.

• Options
    LucedesLucedes might be real Registered User regular

I don’t understand what a line of people having sex together has to do with time.

if you ignore the fourth dimension, that’s all human history looks like

• Options
    destroyah87destroyah87 They/Them Preferred: She/Her - Please UseRegistered User regular
    Lucedes wrote: »

if you ignore the fourth dimension, that’s all human history looks like

Human History and the Habsburg family "tree."

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    I will not be ignoring the 4th dimension.

That would make it sad.

• Options
    destroyah87destroyah87 They/Them Preferred: She/Her - Please UseRegistered User regular
    I will not be ignoring the 4th dimension.

That would make it sad.

just give it time, it'll forgive you.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Speaking of time

How the fuck is it the 11th already?

• Options
    Speaking of time

How the fuck is it the 11th already?

Too many fortnights.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    edited November 2023
    In Japanese the days are named after various nature things instead of gods - fire, water, wood, metal (gold), and earth - but for whatever reason Sunday and Monday are both exactly the same - Sun and Moon

No idea if that's just the result of coincidental convergence or cultural mixing (and I'm far too busy to find out) but that's a neat little day fact!

They're all named after celestial objects like in the Romance languages, it's just the five planets known to antiquity are named for the five Asian classical elements in Japanese.

Andy Joe on
    XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
  • Options
    Andy Joe wrote: »
    In Japanese the days are named after various nature things instead of gods - fire, water, wood, metal (gold), and earth - but for whatever reason Sunday and Monday are both exactly the same - Sun and Moon

No idea if that's just the result of coincidental convergence or cultural mixing (and I'm far too busy to find out) but that's a neat little day fact!

They're all named after celestial objects like in the Romance languages, it's just the five planets known to antiquity are named for the five Asian classical elements in Japanese.

huh really! I didn't know that! What planet is what element?

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular

Easy to remember most of these if you've watched Sailor Moon. Mercury is water, Venus is metal, Mars is fire, Jupiter is wood, Saturn is earth.

XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
  • Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular

Easy to remember most of these if you've watched Sailor Moon. Mercury is water, Venus is metal, Mars is fire, Jupiter is wood, Saturn is earth.

Tuxedo is Mask

• Options

huh ok, mercury and mars check out, the others I don't really see the connection though. Sailor Venus' special moves never really felt that metal-themed to me, and jupiter was more lightning and electricity. Are those related to wood element in that asian 5 element aesthetic?

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular

Tuxedo is Mask

Baba is You

uc3ufTB.png
  • Options
    edited November 2023

huh ok, mercury and mars check out, the others I don't really see the connection though. Sailor Venus' special moves never really felt that metal-themed to me, and jupiter was more lightning and electricity. Are those related to wood element in that asian 5 element aesthetic?

Minako doesn't quite fit in as well as the others because she was developed for Codename Sailor V first, but some of her attacks can be seen as gesturing at a metal theme.

Makoto's later attack "Jupiter Oak Evolution" reflects the wood theme. Note her family name is "Kino" instead of "Raino" or something.

Andy Joe on