Options

The [Steam] Thread and Hot Coffee Controversy

• Options
    ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular
    Madican wrote: »
    EGS bought Bandcamp just to be able to use it as a weapon in their legal squabbles with Apple, and when that fight ended they discarded Bandcamp without a second thought for all the musicians who relied on it for a source of income.

EGS can fuck right off now and forever

I keep forgetting about how badly they have fucked up Bandcamp and it's definitely the most egregious sin they've committed thus far. Fucking hell.

Twitch: Thawmus83
  • Options
    Gah! I got got!

aw7ea5z95icq.png

@destroyah87 thank you! And a deckbuilder?!? ooooooooohhhhhh.........

• Options
    rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    Epic published/funded Alan Wake 2. So its very unlikely to end up sold anywhere else. In fact its unlikely to even exist in the first place without Epic's funding. Its more like a traditional first-party game.

• Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    We've dug too deep

I fend them off night after night but am surrounded by the bodies of my people

The plague has swept through the lower tunnels, and now there is no reason to tax, for there is little left to fund.

I end it now, the final princess of Ratopia

• Options
    Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    Just trying to imagine what Steam would be like some day if it ever gets bought out by some blood sucking corp that will burn it to the ground just to make an extra buck like Unity.

"Subscribe to Steam Plus to gain access to online multiplayer features, making our share holders happy and an add free experience."

Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Options
    KarozKaroz Registered User regular
    Epic published/funded Alan Wake 2. So its very unlikely to end up sold anywhere else. In fact its unlikely to even exist in the first place without Epic's funding. Its more like a traditional first-party game.

Fair, thus like Nintendo's walled garden, I'll never play it.

Lest I can be really bothered to raise the Jolly Roger.

Which honestly I'm not.

• Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    Karoz wrote: »

Fair, thus like Nintendo's walled garden, I'll never play it.

Lest I can be really bothered to raise the Jolly Roger.

Which honestly I'm not.

Also on consoles at least, if you're into that sort of shenaniganry. That's where I played it.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    DrovekDrovek Registered User regular
    I will repeat, I did want EGS to succeed because in the capitalistic hellscape, the only time you'll see some serious changes for potential good is with a threatening competitor you can't buy out.

EGS' solution to throw money at everything has not been the solution and Valve has gotten to sit back and laugh--while also banning NFT (and AI? IIRC) games while EGS decided to embrace them.

Inertia is a hell of a drug and I bitch and moan about another launcher, but if it made a damn fine product? Awesome.

Walled garden? Fuck off.

The difference is Valve being privately owned can be perfectly fine doing "good enough profit."

Publicly owned companies like Epic have the imperative to make line go up, always, at all times, even if short term profit completely destroys future prospects. Even if at the beginning the service is perfect, once money isn't free they'll try to squeeze the profit-per-customer metric until there is no one left paying a dime, and then shareholders will move onto the next thing to keep on sucking blood.

Long gone is companies making good products for the pride of offering something of quality and fair price point.

steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    emnmnme wrote: »
    How many years did Steam absorb losses before the Steam store started bringing in the big bucks?

Steam didn't come into existence in a world where a Steam-like product already existed, though. It's not like Steam only won because they were first: they also managed to do a lot right.

EGS is also a much worse product, where discussion forums, tech support, reviews, and Steamworks for internet gameplay support is all outsourced and piggybacking on stuff the other store is doing because they don't have any of it themselves.

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    You know in the last thread how I said I wasn't gifting anyone because our home income went to virtually zero this year? Well, I got a PM from an secret benefactor...

4vjy33lx1fdf.png

Since I've hidden their identity, no one will figure out who my extra kind monster backer is!!

So, without any further ado...Gift-a-pult armed and target acquired.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    edited November 2023
    Drovek wrote: »
    I will repeat, I did want EGS to succeed because in the capitalistic hellscape, the only time you'll see some serious changes for potential good is with a threatening competitor you can't buy out.

EGS' solution to throw money at everything has not been the solution and Valve has gotten to sit back and laugh--while also banning NFT (and AI? IIRC) games while EGS decided to embrace them.

Inertia is a hell of a drug and I bitch and moan about another launcher, but if it made a damn fine product? Awesome.

Walled garden? Fuck off.

The difference is Valve being privately owned can be perfectly fine doing "good enough profit."

Publicly owned companies like Epic have the imperative to make line go up, always, at all times, even if short term profit completely destroys future prospects. Even if at the beginning the service is perfect, once money isn't free they'll try to squeeze the profit-per-customer metric until there is no one left paying a dime, and then shareholders will move onto the next thing to keep on sucking blood.

Long gone is companies making good products for the pride of offering something of quality and fair price point.

I'll only counter that line didn't go up since EGS entire lifespan, it was just supplemented by Fortnite money.

Which yeah comes to the original dilemma, but other than a large install base due to free games, EGS has had nothing to show for it this entire time. Line go up would demand it be shelved after a year like many a Google product.

Karoz on
  • Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    You know in the last thread how I said I wasn't gifting anyone because our home income went to virtually zero this year? Well, I got a PM from an secret benefactor...

4vjy33lx1fdf.png

Since I've hidden their identity, no one will figure out who my extra kind monster backer is!!

War never changes.

• Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    MNC Dover wrote: »

4vjy33lx1fdf.png

War never changes.

Heheh, someone gonna get dunk'd. I wonder who the victim will...

Oh.

Hang on.

Oh heck...

85rko5qyoxxm.jpg

Huge thanks to @MNC Dover and @Poketpixie erm, "secret benefactor" for D&D Chronicles of Mystara! I recall hearing great things about these. :heart:

I don't know if intentional but you picked a good day for it. It my cake day (as I'm sure certain record-keepers here can attest) and it's been a bit of a rough one so thank you guys for giving me a smile today that I badly needed. :blush:

• Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    Technically I think Koopah is responsible since they gave Poketpixie that prize for donating to Extra Life

So it's MNC Dover, PoketPixie, and Koopah.

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    edited November 2023
    Thank you to @KoopahTroopah as well then! :heart:

@Drovek had to get in on the pile-on too.

gkasqg73g0nm.jpg

Thank you so much for Super Woden GP 2! :heart: Brand new game as of today, it seems, and looks cool!

Edit: and thanks to @KoopahTroopah AGAIN for ProtoCorgi! :heart:

hyodtwlmdc4k.jpg

Jazz on
  • Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    Technically I think Koopah is responsible since they gave Poketpixie that prize for donating to Extra Life

So it's MNC Dover, PoketPixie, and Koopah.

NO NOT TECHNICALLY *pushes glasses*

There's a 3 day waiting period between adding someone to friends and gifting them monies. Have to wait about 4 hours from now... THEN you can blame me for Poket's gifting.

• Options
    @Malakaius too! Thanks so much for Max Payne 3! :heart:

cppunmw1xo1i.jpg

• Options
    And big thank yous to @Thawmus for Necromunda: Hired Gun! :heart:

2uho1olkt5gz.jpg

• Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    Oh man, Max Payne 3 is so good, if my memory serves. It's been a while! And here I am reinstalling...

• Options
    I'm sorry for spamming the thread, everyone... but I do like to give credit where it's due.

• Options
    edited November 2023
    And further credit to my good friend and supplier of illicit artworks the completely innocent @Pixelated Pixie who has seen fit to supply vroom vrooms! Thank you for F1 23! :heart:

2kstzkaq4vde.jpg

Jazz on
  • Options
    ZavianZavian universal peace sounds better than forever war Registered User regular
    there I was, taking a break from work, when I suddenly realized I was...

GIFTED BY A GIFT MONSTER!

e7ehkevg7qgs.png

Much thanks @MNC Dover for the dungeons and dragons goodness! I have work today and tomorrow, and work weekdays, but I'm free Sat nights and Sundays if any other Steam thread peeps want to do some dungeon crawling!

• Options
    edited November 2023
    Dover caught me with one of his DnD bullets.

Huh. Never would have guessed streets of rage x Dungeons & Dragons was actually a thing. Thats actually very interesting.

Now imagining an 8-bit Minsc beating the crap out of street punks with improvised weapons while music from Double Dragon plays.

Thanks, man. :)

Dr. Chaos on
  • Options
    Werewolf2000adWerewolf2000ad Suckers, I know exactly what went wrong. Registered User regular
    EGS is also a much worse product, where discussion forums, tech support, reviews, and Steamworks for internet gameplay support is all outsourced and piggybacking on stuff the other store is doing because they don't have any of it themselves.

This is ultimately EGS's problem, just like with every other Steam competitor. Every store/launcher tries to compete with Steam using games, and it never works - Because there are already enough games. There are enough good games already on Steam, and coming out every year, that a person can play enough good games to last them the rest of their life without ever leaving Steam. If you want to compete with Steam, you have to do it by building a better, faster, more convenient, more feature-rich ecosystem than they have. It's not impossible, but Valve has a two-decade head start and nobody's even really bothering to try.

steam_sig.png
    EVERYBODY WANTS TO SIT IN THE BIG CHAIR, MEG!
  • Options
    edited November 2023
    Epic doesn't really understand Steam or why it became as big as it did. If they understood, they might have stood a chance.

Steam was a major trendsetter in making PC gaming more approachable for the average gamer.

They innovated and they added convenience. Epic didn't think about any of that, they tried to lazily buy games up and introduce one of the worst features of being a console gamer on PC with exclusives deals, gave others away for free and then called it a day with their half baked storefront. They didn't want to actually earn Valve's market share by building something new or special that consumers wanted or needed, they just thought they could throw some Fortnite money around and essentially "buy" it.

Dr. Chaos on
  • Options
    There was also a really long window where a would-be competitor could have snatched a bunch of Steam's customer base away with flashy features and toys, and then we had that big update recently, after like 5-6 years of nothing.

• Options
    DrovekDrovek Registered User regular
    Dr. Chaos wrote: »
    Epic doesn't really understand Steam or why it became as big as it did. If they understood, they might have stood a chance.

Steam was a major trendsetter in making PC gaming more approachable for the average gamer.

They innovated and they added convenience. Epic didn't think about any of that, they tried to lazily buy games up and introduce one of the worst features of being a console gamer on PC with exclusives deals, gave others away for free and then called it a day with their half baked storefront. They didn't want to actually earn Valve's market share by building something new or special that consumers wanted or needed, they just thought they could throw some Fortnite money around and essentially "buy" it.

Valve also created and maintains APIs that developers can use for their games, cloud saves, SSO integrations with other sites.

That's the shit that by itself doesn't "turn a profit" but makes the whole platform really great to use for both devs and users.

steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • Options
    Also, in a sane world, there would have been a regulation ages ago saying that if you owned a game from one distributor/launcher/library you owned that game on all distributors/launchers/libraries.

That would have shaken some shit up and added some fucking competition.

• Options
    Dover caught me with one of his DnD bullets.

Huh. Never would have guessed streets of rage x Dungeons & Dragons was actually a thing. Thats actually very interesting.

Now imagining an 8-bit Minsc beating the crap out of street punks with improvised weapons while music from Double Dragon plays.

Thanks, man. :)

People not knowing the amazing beat-em-up D&D game by Capcom is a tragedy. If you’re a fan of OG D&D, then you’ll find this game full of nostalgia and delightful call backs to items, spells, and monsters.

And at $5, you get both arcade games which is a steal.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    I played them when they were on the Xbox Live Arcade and they were fucking phenomenal, but I recommend finding a friend or two to play it with to really see it shine.

• Options
    bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    Is this really necessary for Remote Play?

https://youtu.be/VGHBU5Ek1_k?si=aAw83OL93eMME5FR

Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
  • Options
    Werewolf2000adWerewolf2000ad Suckers, I know exactly what went wrong. Registered User regular

I still laugh when I think back to the launch of EGS and about how so many people were confidently predicting that Valve would start moneyhatting too, and furiously competing with Epic for exclusives, and this would make gaming 'better' somehow, and not only did that just not happen, but 'We're releasing on Steam' became a selling point again for the first time in about a decade without Valve having to do anything.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ho90mthoerx0.jpg

Big thanks to @Talus9952 for Far Cry 4! :heart:

You guys are phenomenal and completely crazy and I love you all. :heart:

• Options
    It continues, sorry guys :lol:

i9vmrcgzryk5.jpg

Australia might not be real, but @Viking certainly is. Thank you so much for Immortals Fenyx Rising! :heart:

• Options
    Never apologize for posting gift bombs. They sustain us.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    We need proof that yer getting rekt on yer birthday, kid.

• Options
    Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    This feeds my soul.

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • Options
    Oh, give me a dunk, gents, and free my soul
    I wanna get lost in your class and roll and gift away

• Options
    Like A Dragon Gaiden darts update: Forks.

8rz1ys03culp.jpg

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited November 2023
    So uh, what exactly is the appeal of games like Vermintide and Darktide? The hook so to speak?

I kind of want to play them but not really sure what to make of them. They seem pretty unique.

Is it like a first person Warframe?

Dr. Chaos on
This discussion has been closed.