Options

The [Steam] Thread and Hot Coffee Controversy

• Options
    rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    edited April 5
    Jazz wrote: »
    -Loki- wrote: »
    Drovek wrote: »
    The Switch is really bad at ergonomics, specially if your hands are not tiny. It's just a rectangular prism with rounded edges and no accounting for the shape of a hand.

The Deck is far bigger and heavier, but it's just made so that holding it is comfortable and not cramp-inducing.

This is why I put Hori Split Pad Pros on my Switch.

I lose Gyro but I hate Gryo anyway.

I should grab some of those. Only real downer is my Switch wouldn't fit in its case then when I pop it in my bag.

Amazon has a bunch of third party split-pad pro specific cases. The split pad compact also has some official Hori ones.

rahkeesh2000 on
  • Options
    BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    Every time I hear that the Switch controllers are small and feel bad about possible having little baby hands. 😔

You're not the only one. I love playing my Switch in handheld mode.

My hands are tiny apparently.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    Jazz wrote: »
    -Loki- wrote: »
    Drovek wrote: »
    The Switch is really bad at ergonomics, specially if your hands are not tiny. It's just a rectangular prism with rounded edges and no accounting for the shape of a hand.

The Deck is far bigger and heavier, but it's just made so that holding it is comfortable and not cramp-inducing.

This is why I put Hori Split Pad Pros on my Switch.

I lose Gyro but I hate Gryo anyway.

I should grab some of those. Only real downer is my Switch wouldn't fit in its case then when I pop it in my bag.

I saw this on reddit and it seems like a cheap and good option.

• Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    i've always been surprised at how much of the switch's popularity is tied up in its portability because yeah, i find it wildly uncomfortable to hold. a perfect storm of too-small handgrips with too-small buttons awkwardly positioned, along with a relatively large and heavy screen exacerbating everything else

i've only used it to play games undocked a vanishingly small number of times

• Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited April 5
    I bought it purely to play handheld, but I never gelled with it until I got the Split Pad Pros. They made it so comfortable.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    IanatorIanator Gaze upon my works, ye mighty and facepalm.Registered User regular
    I must have small-but-not-tiny hands then. Think I need to find an alternative controller for playing Theatrhythm though since the default setup doesn't feel nearly as comfy as, say, playing DDR or Stepmania with a Playstation pad.

steam_sig.png
    Twitch | Blizzard: Ianator#1479 | 3DS: Ianator - 1779 2336 5317 | FFXIV: Iana Ateliere (NA Sarg)
    Backlog Challenge List
  • Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    Nah, you know what? I'm convinced my hands are normal sized. Y'all just have NBA-sized hands.

I'm willing to bet you held the XBox Duke and were like, "Yeah, these feels perfect!" :D

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    Welp, accidentally saved mid battle and poisoned. Time to start anew.

Yay, tons of rare resources

Boo, I forgot how to economy and now my nation is bankrupt....for the moment

• Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    Well, now you mention that....

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Nah, you know what? I'm convinced my hands are normal sized. Y'all just have NBA-sized hands.

I'm willing to bet you held the XBox Duke and were like, "Yeah, these feels perfect!" :D

I held the original Xbox controller and felt quite comfortable

• Options
    KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular

How do you feel about the PS5 controllers? Or the Switch Pro Controllers, or PS4 controllers, etc?

I think that, wild enough, the only controller that has caused me any issues in terms of comfort is actually the Steam Controller. Much as I love the hell out of that thing, the direction of where you're supposed to hold the controllers rests right in my palm in such a way that it can hurt after a few hours of play.

I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
  • Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    Madican wrote: »

I held the original Xbox controller and felt quite comfortable

Obligatory.

• Options
    VikingViking Registered User regular
    a belated thank you to @Morkath for throwing Callisto Protocol my way the other day.
    just played an hour and it seems like a pretty decent "Dead Space only Melee"
    enjoyed what little I played so far.

steam_sig.png
    Bravely Default / 3DS Friend Code = 3394-3571-1609
  • Options
    Still no profit.

Must tax harder

In between infected attacks

Have a spear rat who just tanked half of them.

Progress

• Options
    StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    I'm having issues playing command and conquer generals zero hour. Every time I start it up it just freezes on the loading window and nothing happens. Does anyone know how to fix this?

Also, does anyone know how I can find the save data for Digimon Cyber Sleuth to put onto a USB and and copy that data onto my other computer? I really don't want to start over.

PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • Options
    Good news, rat economic problems were solved with a 20% gross wealth tax on anyone holding over 1000 pia.

Tax the rich solves all our problems.....except for the zombies

• Options
    ZavianZavian universal peace sounds better than forever war Registered User regular
    Aegeri wrote: »
    One reason I rarely use my switch is that none of the controllers feel good and comfortable to me.

my hands are too big for the joycons but I really like the pro controllers; I got two, one I use with my switch and my totk one I use with Steam all the time. unlike the DS3, I've luckily had zero issues using the pro controller with steam, and the battery life is absolutely absurd with the pro controllers. i can go days without having to recharge!

• Options
    DrovekDrovek Registered User regular
    Good news, rat economic problems were solved with a 20% gross wealth tax on anyone holding over 1000 pia.

Tax the rich solves all our problems.....except for the zombies

Just like real life.

steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • Options
    Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    Aegeri wrote: »
    One reason I rarely use my switch is that none of the controllers feel good and comfortable to me.
    Switch pro no good?

For me, its the best since the 360 pad. The shoulder pads are a nice change from all the jagged and rough triggers that are put on everything these days.

Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Options
    IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    Big thanks to BesT BiT @HiT BiT for classing up my chat with a couple of codes!
    DXHMnGX.png

SBLPDnI.png

Thank you for Voidigo - super fun looking bosshunting roguelike - and Friends vs. Friends - a PVP shooter... card builder? Awesome!

Woo! :heart:

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    Kalnaur wrote: »

How do you feel about the PS5 controllers? Or the Switch Pro Controllers, or PS4 controllers, etc?

I think that, wild enough, the only controller that has caused me any issues in terms of comfort is actually the Steam Controller. Much as I love the hell out of that thing, the direction of where you're supposed to hold the controllers rests right in my palm in such a way that it can hurt after a few hours of play.

Real talk, I've never held a PS4 or PS5 controller. The last non-Nintendo consoles I owned were the PS3 and Xbox 360. If their controllers are about the same as the ones from back in the day, then I guess I'd say they were fine.

I also never bought a Switch Pro controller because of the price and I can't play with my hands spread apart. Like I remember watching the initial Switch presentation and vibing really hard when he did this on the couch:

38vbc01vu1cp.jpg

While I have the muscle memory to pick up any controller and just go, something about splaying out on my couch to play feels so good.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    I feel the PS4 controllers are too angular and not very comfortable. I like the feel of the Xbone and Series X/S controllers better

• Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    edited April 6
    I really didn't like the PS4 controller, despite how many people and outlets raved about how good it was. I think I liked it even less than the PS3 controller, which felt like a cheap knock-off of the PS2 controller. I appreciate that I'm likely in the minority though.

The PS5 controller, though, in the hour or so I've spent with one, felt really good. I was properly impressed by it. I still prefer the asymmetrical layout of an Xbox (etc) controller, but yeah, the DualSense felt like they'd nailed it.

If they had cross-generation compatibility like the Xbox One/Series controllers, I'd totally get a DualSense to use on my PS4 Pro!

Jazz on
  • Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    Xbox Series controller is probably my favorite controller. Kind of a bummer I'm doing most of my gaming on PS5, because I would love to just use that instead. But touchpads and whatnot.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    edited April 6
    Ok, that particular armor rez'es you but breaks afterwards.

Good to know

Edit: Despite taxing ratizens daily with over 1000 pia, i still have a middle class

I'm also giving anyone with less than 100 pia a stipend of 125 pia

RoyceSraphim on
  • Options
    Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    This trailer just reaffirms my decesion to play as a pro union dwarf that dismantles capitalist oppression with a giant hammer:

https://youtu.be/DrZWTKEkZLk?feature=shared

Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Options
    So.....letting a horde of undead rats and tribal weasels bash themselves at a door while I hold the other side and repair it, calling my squads for reinforcement.....crashes Ratopia

• Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular
    edited April 6
    Betsuni wrote: »
    Every time I hear that the Switch controllers are small and feel bad about possible having little baby hands. 😔

Honestly it's much more in the wrists and knuckles than the size of your whole hand. It's a bit clearer with the last couple pages of talking about Playstation and Xbox and other controllers, since those are all roughly the same size but some are still much less pleasant to use than others. And if you look at the ones people like vs. don't like you can see a lot of similarities in how the wrists, thumb, and fingers flex (or don't). A good controller sort of rests in the hand rather than being actively gripped, and the thumb in a neutral position rests near its main controls.

A bad controller will have things like the wrists bent, the handholds not conforming to semirelaxed fingers requiring a constant grip, the thumb's neutral position not being relaxed, fingers and thumbs not naturally aligning to their main controls, etc.

A really bad controller needs its own unnatural hand position and might amount to a self induced stress position.

And yes, those are all Old People Problems. So unless your hands are so big you can palm a soccer ball, if your hands don't tell you what the weather will be tomorrow you'll probably be fine using a Switch with joycons.

Mine aren't so great and the switch puts several points of strain that limit my time in handheld mode, but the Deck despite the added weight is not nearly so bad as long as I have a bit of elbow room (playing in the car sucks, even having an inverter so battery life isn't an issue).

Hevach on
  • Options
    VikingViking Registered User regular
    Dr. Chaos wrote: »
    This trailer just reaffirms my decesion to play as a pro union dwarf that dismantles capitalist oppression with a giant hammer:

https://youtu.be/DrZWTKEkZLk?feature=shared

about damn time someone made a new Arcanum

steam_sig.png
    Bravely Default / 3DS Friend Code = 3394-3571-1609
  • Options
    KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    Hevach wrote: »

Honestly it's much more in the wrists and knuckles than the size of your whole hand. It's a bit clearer with the last couple pages of talking about Playstation and Xbox and other controllers, since those are all roughly the same size but some are still much less pleasant to use than others. And if you look at the ones people like vs. don't like you can see a lot of similarities in how the wrists, thumb, and fingers flex (or don't). A good controller sort of rests in the hand rather than being actively gripped, and the thumb in a neutral position rests near its main controls.

A bad controller will have things like the wrists bent, the handholds not conforming to semirelaxed fingers requiring a constant grip, the thumb's neutral position not being relaxed, fingers and thumbs not naturally aligning to their main controls, etc.

A really bad controller needs its own unnatural hand position and might amount to a self induced stress position.

And yes, those are all Old People Problems. So unless your hands are so big you can palm a soccer ball, if your hands don't tell you what the weather will be tomorrow you'll probably be fine using a Switch with joycons.

Mine aren't so great and the switch puts several points of strain that limit my time in handheld mode, but the Deck despite the added weight is not nearly so bad as long as I have a bit of elbow room (playing in the car sucks, even having an inverter so battery life isn't an issue).

My biggest issue with handheld anything is that craning my head down long enough to get any sort of gaming done will put a cramp in my neck for the next week. And it's not like I can hold a handheld . . . anything level with my eyes for any great degree of time. This is why I prefer to play the Switch docked if at all possible.

I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
  • Options
    I have unlocked the knockback trap.

I have several tall ladders and deep pits

I have died several times to my own plot

I have killed more weasels than my rat queen.

• Options
    taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
    edited April 6
    Speaking of controllers, The dualsense is hands down my favorite controller. It's also the only controller that makes my early stage thumb arthritis flare up so I cant use one for more than 30 minutes whereas I can use any other controller, including my deck and ally all day no problem. Sad old person problems :(

taliosfalcon on
    steam xbox - adeptpenguin
  • Options
    Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    Hello, police? I'd like to report a run-by keying!

tbaajtygq3cs.png

Thanks @Morkath for Victoria 3! <3<3<3

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • Options
    BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular

I've never analyzed the reasons one controller is better than the other for me as much as this before. That makes sense why I can play the Switch in handheld mode easily. Then again I like the pro controller, my Asus Ally, PS4 controller, PS3 controller, Sega Genesis controller, Atari controller, Atari paddle controller, and Steam controller. I don't have any Microsoft controllers so no idea if I'd like them. Maybe I'm a weirdo?

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • Options
    edited April 6
    Hello, police? I'd like to report a run-by keying!

tbaajtygq3cs.png

Thanks Morkath for Victoria 3! <3<3<3

I'm curious to try that game out - it wasn't one of the five (!) in this month's Choice I already had wishlisted but my experience with the bit of the fascinating CK3 (also a Choice acquisition) that I've played has me interested in giving it a go.

Jazz on
  • Options
    HiT BiTHiT BiT 🍒 Fresh, straight from Pac-man's Registered User regular
    Thank you very much @Morkath for The Excavation of Hob's Barrow! <3<3<3

• Options
    edited April 6
    uninstalled Ratopia because victory was a grind for prosperity and I don't understand the new tech upgrades.

edit: So if I go to my shelf
    click all games
    and then click sort by, I can sort by size on disk....Age of Fear 2 has 6 gigs?

RoyceSraphim on
  • Options
    edited April 6

I've never analyzed the reasons one controller is better than the other for me as much as this before. That makes sense why I can play the Switch in handheld mode easily. Then again I like the pro controller, my Asus Ally, PS4 controller, PS3 controller, Sega Genesis controller, Atari controller, Atari paddle controller, and Steam controller. I don't have any Microsoft controllers so no idea if I'd like them. Maybe I'm a weirdo?

It may possibly be weird not to have a single Microsoft controller when you have so many others :wink:

I've always preferred MS' various controllers over their contemporaries*, I could even handle their often very poor D-pads because the controllers worked so well for me. Xbox Series controllers finally have genuinely good D-pads, so if you don't need the extra bells and whistles Sony includes (gyro, touchpad, built-in but comparatively very low life battery), they are very easy to recommend. The native support in Windows makes them a breeze too (although shout-out to Linux, my Deck is just as easy to use one with).

* - although the DualSense comes by far the closest.

Jazz on
  • Options
    edited April 6
    Lack of suitable notifications once again results in belated gratitude. Apologies!

Thank you very much to @vamen for doing a @Pixelated Pixie and adding to my Steam porn collection - this time with the delightfully-titled Once a Porn a Time! Cheers! :heart:

Jazz on
  • Options
    edited April 6
    Also I got booted from chat again and this time I didn't even need to post a pic for Steam to object to me :cry:

Edit: get back in, post evidence of the Vamen-ing, booted AGAIN

Jazz on
This discussion has been closed.