As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

John Bonham? Neil Peart? Keith Moon? No…it’s the [LDB THREAD]

Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
edited 6:32PM in Social Entropy++
The Little Drummer Boy Contest begins soon. It’s easy, you just have to make it from 12:01am the Friday after Thanksgiving until 12:00am on 12/26 without hearing a minute millisecond of any version of the song The Little Drummer Boy.

Oh, that’s all? No big deal I can do that easy…WRONG.

HERE ARE THE SPECIFICS OF THE COMPETITION

1. If you realize at any time you’ve heard any of the song…you whistled it, you hummed it, someone sang a few bars, it came on at Walmart…you’re out. If you’re watching a show and it plays at all you’re out (there are lists online that warn you what episodes of shows to avoid)

2. This one comes up every year. You can’t be eliminated by someone trying to eliminate you. If someone knows you’re in the contest and intentionally makes you hear it…you’re still alive…for now.

That’s basically it. Any questionable calls can be run by me.

Oh! You cannot be eliminated by Missy Elliott’s song, Work It. I refuse to run a contest that limits listening to Missy Elliott.

If you want to be in just post here and let me know. I’ll put your name on a list of the soon to be damned. When the contest begins and you are inevitably eliminated I will move you from the Alive list to the Dead list and you will be greeted by a lovely Christmas image. Something wholesome.

Being eliminated by the Pentatonix Version is now a TRIPLE elimination and your shame shall pass to your family for the next 3 generations

When you are eliminated the expectation is that you post here and explain how and why you were eliminated. That’s the fun part…well that and the FEAR.

To sign up, just post in this thread and say that you’re in. I’ll go through and periodically add you to the list. If you see me adding people after you posted then I probably missed you. Try to sign up before the contest begins.

The prize? There is no prize. All will die.

The Liste!

On the Precipice of Death

Raijin Quickfoot
Depressperado

Perrsun
MechMantis
MegaMan001
Cello
AvalonGuard

MrMonroe
Ketar
BahamutZERO

Chromdom

Carpy
SporkAndrew
Ranlin
Rhesus Positive
DisruptedCapitalist
Elvenshae
Peewi
Magell
Peen
Astrobstrd
Psykoma
SLyM

The Lovely Bastard
Jedoc
Poorochondriac
Lord Palington

LostCanuck
SniperGuy
ASimPerson
Discrider
Furlion
Polaritie
Lucedes

Munkus Beaver
Skeith
Kayne Red Robe
Ani_Game_Bum

Enjoying the Sweet Release of Death

Jokerman - The holiday was still barely an infant

Ironknuckle’s Ghost - Definite not the…LAST MAN STANDING

Madican - Destroyed by those who brought them life

Captain Inertia - Did a 180 Bieber triple penetration Busta Flop

Mortal Sky - Self Immolation

Zero Cow - Row, row, row…you’re dead!

Ubik - Pissed on

Sleep - The only thing that smells worse than their death…was their breath.

Tofystedeth - Premature E-drum-ulation

HEY SATAN! HERE'S MY WISHLIST! GO NUTS YOU DEVIL!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/registry/wishlist/1JI9WWSRW1YJI
Raijin Quickfoot at
SporkAndrewDisruptedCapitalistElvenshaeUbikJedocani_game_bumLucedes3cl1ps3Rhesus Positive

• DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    I'm in, I somehow went the entirety of last year without hearing it without even trying so I think I'm good.

does the Bright Eyes version count? that slaps as a regular song, not only a holiday song

• UbikUbik oh pete, that's later. maybe we'll be dead by then Registered User regular
    edited November 12
    i'm in

it's the most wonderful time of the year

Ubik on
    l8e1peic77w3.jpg

SporkAndrew
  • Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Yes it counts! Everything counts!

Lucedes
  • PerrsunPerrsun Registered User regular
    I’m in.

All I can hope for is to be eliminated in an interesting way.

• MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    I shall continue my perfect streak and not hear this song. It is simply inevitable that I once again attain victory.

• MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    Hell yes I am in.

Being locked in an operating room and getting more and more tense when someone puts on a holiday playlist is delightful.

That one particular final fantasy image changed my life

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 12
    I need to start downloading images for this year’s theme…time for the FBI to start watching me closer

Raijin Quickfoot on

MegaMan001Captain InertiaElvenshaeMagellani_game_bumKane Red Robe
  • CelloCello Registered User regular
    John Wick voice yeah I guess I'm back

Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
    Depressperado
  • AvalonGuardAvalonGuard Registered User regular
    This is my first non retail holiday season in eighteen years.

I have hope.

Sign me up.

Elvenshae
  • MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    I need to start downloading images for this year’s theme…time for the FBI to start watching me closer

This annual event is, and I'm not joking, one of my favorite traditions

I am in the business of saving lives.
    JokermanBloodsheedSleepCaptain InertiaCarpySporkAndrewRanlinDisruptedCapitalistElvenshaeUbikMagellIronKnuckle's Ghostani_game_bumMadicanFishman
  • JokermanJokerman Everything EverywhereRegistered User regular
    Not my Tempo
  • MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    I'm in, may my curmudgeonly nature protect me.

chromdomElvenshae
  • KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    Alright, let's do this.

Elvenshae
  • BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    Time to eliminate myself another year in a row by thinking about the song because of the contest and singing it to myself

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    I'm in! And hey, if I lose, I simply get to listen to the David Bowie/Bing Crosby version, which is my favorite holiday song

Elvenshae
  • SleepSleep Registered User regular
    Oh I’m definitely in

Bring out the goombas with foreskins

Captain Inertia
  • I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    latter day baints

liEt3nH.png
    MechMantis wrote: »

I had an idea but I’m struggling to find images that aren’t TOO MUCH.

• chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    Where's the option to vote for Neil Peart? I don't know if I can endorse any thread that doesn't let me vote for Neil Peart.

I'm in. Again. I guess.

(Neil Peart is just the best)

• Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    Im in

I already heard it this year so I think that means I’m invincible when it counts

ElvenshaeMagell
  • JokermanJokerman Everything EverywhereRegistered User regular
    MechMantis wrote: »

I had an idea but I’m struggling to find images that aren’t TOO MUCH.

Throw that idea away. Go big or go home.

Not my Tempo
    MegaMan001
  • CarpyCarpy Registered User regular
    Sign me up Scotty

• SporkAndrewSporkAndrew Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 13
    What a coincidence, on Friday I spent some time on my Christmas playlist adding a bunch of new songs to expand it to 261. Nothing can possiblie go wrong this year!

wx906he6v3c6.png

Sign me up!

SporkAndrew on
    The one about the fucking space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedal bin
    ElvenshaeCaptain InertiaZeroCowCarpyLucedesMunkus Beaver
  • RanlinRanlin Oh gosh Registered User regular
    Woo! One of my favorite parts of the holiday season. Sign me up!

...I'm gonna be so salty if it's pentatonix again. It's been them twice now I think. I can't remember if I've even lost to anyone else yet, I usually make it through okay.

Elvenshae
  • Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    I'm in

Question: does somebody saying "pa-rum-pa-pum-pum" in reference to the song count as hearing it?

It's a bit in John Finnemore's Souvenir Programme Christmas special, so I need to know if I can relisten this year

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
    I'm in

Question: does somebody saying "pa-rum-pa-pum-pum" in reference to the song count as hearing it?

It's a bit in John Finnemore's Souvenir Programme Christmas special, so I need to know if I can relisten this year

I believe those are the very Dreaded Syllables that will immediately eliminate you, on the basis of "You recognize that it's Little Drummer Boy!"

And in that recognition, you are doomed

Captain Inertia
    I'm in

Yes. I accidentally eliminated myself watching the Regular Show Christmas special when Muscle Man says, “Pa rum pa pa pum, Santa’s got a Six Pack.”

• Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    Curses

I'll have to listen before Thanksgiving, in that case

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    Fuck. I heard Xmas music at my local grocery store this weekend. I was figuring I had at least a little time before my life was ruled by fear again.

I'm in.

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Yessssssssssssss!!!

Sign me right the heck up.

• PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    I'm in.

Last two years I died from the Christmas music playing at my family's annual pre-Christmas gathering.

Hopefully it won't happen a third time.

• MagellMagell Detroit Machine Guns Fort MyersRegistered User regular
    Im in

I already heard it this year so I think that means I’m invincible when it counts

I'm in and have the same thinking. I can't remember why it happened, but my girlfriend was trying to figure out the right way to do the pum-pum part and all I could think was thank god this challenge hadn't started yet.

Captain Inertia
  • astrobstrdastrobstrd So full of mercy... Registered User regular
    I'll join again. Finally made it last year, but my victory felt hollow because I was having a pretty limited social presence around the holidays.

Come get me, you little drummer freak.

Selling the Scream Podcast: https://anchor.fm/jeremy-donaldson
  • PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    Count me the fuck in.

• SLyMSLyM Registered User regular
    I am ready to not hear this song at any point.

If I believe it, it must come true.

My friend is working on a roguelike game you can play if you want to. (It has free demo)
  • ZeroCowZeroCow Registered User regular
    This is going to be my year!

Narrator: It was in fact, not his year.

PSN ID - Buckeye_Bert
    Magic Online - Bertro
  • The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    you can't ban me this year because i will never know the sweet release of death

7656367.jpg
    Captain Inertia
    you can't ban me this year because i will never know the sweet release of death

I can do whatever the hell I want to do!

Captain InertiaElvenshae
  • JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    !Signup Jedoc Hum loudly with my fingers in my ears for the entire month

GDdCWMm.jpg