As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Help me remember an Amstrad CPC game

Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her|Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
edited June 2007 in Games and Technology
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Amstrad_CPC_games

All I remember is that it was set in Egypt amongst the pyramids, it had 3D graphics similar to this, you had a thirst meter, teleporters, and if the moon eclipsed the sun, it was game over?...Anyone have any ideas?

Zilla360 on

• Options
    Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    A quick google gives:

"I guess i was the only one in the entire world to ever play Total Eclipse for the Commdore 64. It was a true 3D real time (hell you only had a couple hours to complete the game before the sun went into Total Eclipse and you lost) game completely done in the first person perspective.

http://www.mobygames.com/game/c64/total-eclipse"

From http://gnomeslair.blogspot.com/2006/12/history-of-fps-pictorial.html

That one?

Mr_Grinch on
    Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • Options
    fragglefartfragglefart Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    As soon as I read Egypt I thought;

"Oh Mummy"

ohmummy4.jpg

Best totally forgotten game evar.

But then you mention 3D... and now I have no idea.

fragglefart on
    fragglefart.jpg
  • Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    As soon as I read Egypt I thought;

"Oh Mummy"

ohmummy4.jpg

Best totally forgotten game evar.

But then you mention 3D... and now I have no idea.

oh you beautiful.. I REMEMBER THAT GAME!

talk of 3d stuff made me think of Tau Ceti (which is on that wiki list), but that's totally not the game. But damn, there's some nostalgia right here if we talk about Amstrad CPC games.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Mr_Grinch wrote: »
    "I guess i was the only one in the entire world to ever play Total Eclipse for the Commdore 64. It was a true 3D real time (hell you only had a couple hours to complete the game before the sun went into Total Eclipse and you lost) game completely done in the first person perspective."

That one?
    Yes! Thankyou! :D
    I never did manage to finish it either.
    Bonus points for anyone who can find screenshots. :)

Zilla360 on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    wow.. Shinobi! i remember playing this.

Borrowed Robocop, too. That was badass. Saying that though, it's games from the 'Oh Mummy' era that i'd love to see again the most. The likes of Manic Miner, Chuckie Egg and Dizzy were awesome, and there was one i remember that started with your character pulling up in some kind of horse-drawn carraige to a haunted mansion at night. After that, i've got no idea what happened because i was crap at it.

edit: Beach-Head and Harrier Attack... SQUEEEEEEEEE!

edit 2: HOLY HELL! Nonterraqueous. If anyone else remembers this game, they can have a cookie. I'm going to stop now, because it's no-doubt annoying the hell out of everyone.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Heh, good old Mastertronic, they were so awesome.

What about this gold;

24457.jpg

the_curse_of_sherwood.png

The swamp be damned.

or

1133269356-00.jpg

1133269357-00.jpg

Heh, "Have a hairy fit in Hyde Park!"

Mastertronic were epic win. The Curse of Sherwood, and Werewolves of London are a couple of my most favourite games of all time. Two killer games from back in the day which receive no love whatsoever.

fragglefart on
    fragglefart.jpg
  • Options
    Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    http://www.terminalclick.com/graphics/totaleclipse.gif

and, please pardon the really crappy pictures BUT....

DSC00327.jpg

DSC00328.jpg

I fucking thought I had this, my C64 selection is vast and I was searching it this morning for something else. This is running on an original c64 which works DAMN well on my hdtv, the on switch is a bit slippy though, you have to lift up the case a tad to get it to work. Had to try a couple of different display modes, default did some weird stretchy thing on my tv.

Didn't have a clue what to do though, I think I walked in to a wall a bit and shot it. Also took fucking forever to load.

I've had a master system AND c64 hooked up to my tv today. What a day.

Mr_Grinch on
    Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Mr_Grinch wrote: »
    I've had a master system AND c64 hooked up to my tv today. What a day.

:^:

That game looks pretty good, never played it.

And LOL @ load times. I remember Gauntlet II on the Amstrad CPC taking over 45 minutes to load - and half the time, it would bug out right at the end, and you'd have to try again!! D:

fragglefart on
    fragglefart.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    man, the tape-deck on our Amstrad totally bought it in the end. I remember my older brother tinkering around with it trying to fix it, but in the end, the only solution we had was to shake it vigorously for the duration of the multicoloured lightshow that was the loading time.

yeah. We were determined.

edit: i scoured that list of games last night, couldn't see one that seemed to be the haunted house one i described earlier. Wish i could remember more about it. I wonder if we've still got all our old tapes somewhere..

edit 2: i'm doing it again, JOE BLADE! i used to love this game as a kid. This and Eagle's Nest.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png