Options

[Tribes 3: Rivals] Early access launched too early

2»

• Options
    FiatilFiatil Registered User regular
    Having to buy skins for Blood Eagle and Diamond Sword is hilariously stupid. They have to back off on that one soon or they're just done. That would be bad for a $0 Tribes game, and they're charging for this.

I'm generally okay with selling tons of overpriced skins to fund development of games -- I've enjoyed Smite a lot over the years -- but that to me shows the developers don't really know what they're doing here. It sounds like the game doesn't even look much like Tribes if everyone is sans microtransaction skins because of that.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User, Moderator mod
    why do people keep trying to reboot tribes in the dumbest possible way like this

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    ApogeeApogee Lancks In Every Game Ever Registered User regular
    I know I'm a weirdo, but I played the shit out of Tribes:Ascend, mainly as a pilot. I just loved flying around and booping people mid air, or using the tank to squash attackers.

No vehicles at all? Guess I'm out.

8R7BtLw.png
  • Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    cB557 wrote: »
    Yeah, Penny Arcade is probably the only reason I've heard of Tribes.

It was the reason I heard of the original. Picked it up too late to get in on the "glory days" I guess, but had some fun with it and at least got what the fuss was about. (I did like the PA comics about it, they mined that well, er, very well.)

Tribes 2 eventually rolled around. It installed, spent three hours trying to patch itself, failed, and naturally refused to run. Upon uninstalling, it took out my DirectX install with it but left the registry intact so Windows (98SE I think) was insisting it was still there when it wasn't. That was fun to fix... not.

I never did get to play Tribes 2.

Missed Vengeance and Ascend... fast forward to now, I at least tried the demo? But so far this doesn't sound promising. Shame.

• Options
    discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    Midair is still there.

Looks like Midair 2 is still in beta though.
    It's development blog is at https://midair2.gg/

It's not got the name recognition of Tribes, but it's the same thing.
    I haven't dabbled in Midair 2 though.

• Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    why do people keep trying to reboot tribes in the dumbest possible way like this

i think hirez is just a horrible company or something, i dont fucking get it

these kinds of shooters CAN work, I've played several of the Tribes 3 closed tests and its not *bad* but its also not great and I feel like ironically they listen to feedback too much because the discord is full of just horrible takes

i don't see a clear vision for the game by these devs, its just whatever they think will make Tribes 1 mod players happy or something

I will concede I've been playing these tests on less than ideal internet so I can't get an absolute perfect feel for the game but here's my overall impressions....

The game plays way too fast. You move too fast, damage is too high, you respawn fast, you spawn on a perfect ski slope so you're back in the fight in like 4 seconds.. I've been attacking a base, i kill a guy, I move to the next room in the base and get shot in the back by the guy I just killed.

This is a big contributing factor to the game just having no *feel*... Tribes 1 and 2 had tons of feel. Tribes 1 was a fast game but the fast was earned with skill. In Tribes 3, no matter how bad you fuck up your ski route, you just hold spacebar and woosh you're going like 70% of max velocity again. pick the boost backpack to make it 90%! Tribes 2 was a decisively slow game that really leaned into roles and tactics, I get that most people didn't like Tribes 2 but I think there's lessons to be learned there

On damage, I've skiied into bases as a heavy, lept into the air, and I get 100-0's by multiple discs before I hit the ground. its really insane. I played a ton of Tribes, I don't recall that happening in the old games

There's no inventory stations so your base is kind of pointless, im not sure radar works at all, even if it did I don't think it would matter, the turrets do nothing (historically they never did in Tribes anyway, but still), your base usually goes down in about 30 seconds and stays down. there's no incentive to defend anything but the flag. The last alpha test game I played was just 8 people sitting on the raindance flag stand murdering anything inbound. Why not?

Feels like a college final project homage to Tribes and not a real polished game with thoughtful devs.

• Options
    Jazz wrote: »
    cB557 wrote: »
    Yeah, Penny Arcade is probably the only reason I've heard of Tribes.

It was the reason I heard of the original. Picked it up too late to get in on the "glory days" I guess, but had some fun with it and at least got what the fuss was about. (I did like the PA comics about it, they mined that well, er, very well.)

Tribes 2 eventually rolled around. It installed, spent three hours trying to patch itself, failed, and naturally refused to run. Upon uninstalling, it took out my DirectX install with it but left the registry intact so Windows (98SE I think) was insisting it was still there when it wasn't. That was fun to fix... not.

I never did get to play Tribes 2.

Missed Vengeance and Ascend... fast forward to now, I at least tried the demo? But so far this doesn't sound promising. Shame.

Oh hey that wasn't just me huh? I was like 11 and knew about the game exclusively from the PA comic, bought 2 around launch and just couldn't get it to patch to play multiplayer. Played the singleplayer for an hour or two, realized it just wasn't enough to make a "game", and returned it to Wal-Mart.

Thankfully they had that ridiculously full featured multiplayer demo as was common at the time (shoutout battlefield 1942) and I eventually just played that a ton until grabbing it for free on FilePlanet when they had it up for a bit.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    I'm so sad about this. I imagine Tribes done well would be very successful. Make large scale battles, vehicles, jetpacks, etc. I dunno why they keep trying to make these tiny little 5v5 things instead of large scale stuff. Plus all the cosmetic dlc, ai art usage, etc. Such a shame.

Why can't someone make like, Planetside but Tribes?

• Options
    i feel like i could apply that question to a ton of old games

i think its just that video game development is so utterly expensive now that there's no sense in people even trying to do something bold. imagine spending 3 years building a planetside homage with millions of dollars of developers and then it just bombs

which is why every 3rd game is a clone of either diablo, minecraft, or assassins creed

fuck, even *Elden Ring* is dark souls draped over the asscreed style open world, surprise surprise, its their most successful game ever

Hi-Rez tries to deal with this by making very small games almost indie style but they get weak in the knees quickly and reach for vile monetization and rot the game out from within. whats impressive is with T:A it took like... a solid year for that to happen. With T3 you can already see them geared up for it, lul

• Options
    edited March 13
    The "Assassin's Creed" formula you're describing is so broad that calling Elden Ring something "draped over the asscreed style open world" is super reductionist though.

"Big world with a lot of stuff to do" encompasses thousands of games, pre-dates Assassin's Creed, and doesn't describe any kind of creative bankruptcy. It's an alternative to more linear "path based" games -- it's so broad of a category that you're basically trying to discount half of all of gaming at this point for no real reason. I was enjoying that "formula" in Morrowind 5 years before Assassin's Creed came out, and in Oblivion over a year before it came out. Big open fantasy world, often quite fun.

But again, it's just so broad that it's reductionist to use it as any kind of label to describe a lack of creativity. It's an incredibly loose framework that can describe two games that otherwise look and feel almost nothing like each other. In the context of Elden Ring, it's a thing a lot of people wanted and it clearly worked out super well.

In the context of Tribes...well really has nothing to do with Tribes 3. Tribes 3 took a license people expect specific things of and ripped out a lot of the things people specifically expect. Elden Ring took a license/formula people expect specific things of, kept those specific things, and expanded it with more things.

Hell in the context of multiplayer FPS, Tribes is the big open world game with lots of stuff to do. I want big maps with vehicles and a bunch of layers to the fighting where I can fuck off and do vehicles one time, be base defense guy another time, blitz the enemy base with det packs another time, and maybe even something with a flag and capturing another time.

Fiatil on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    i wasnt saying tribes 3 was an victim of that exact phenomenon, i was discussing why we can't just have a grant planetside like experience anymore. tribes players wouldn't be the only people asking that question, i see it pop up once a month in the planetside 2 reddit.... al a "how come this incredible game has no sequel more than a decade later" lol

tribes 3 is just lame. again, class project level stuff.

someone at hirez is convinced that the essence of tribes was just midairing at 300kph and they decided to make a game where that is the only thing you can do

we can agree to disagree on elden ring

• Options
    No huuuge surprise, but Tribes 3 is dead. Maintenance updates only, credit to all who bought to play their Totally Amazing New Game, all of that good stuff.

I am shocked that focusing on small player count maps with no vehicles to chase the e-sports crowd didn't work out for them. Somehow an even worse effort than Ascend was really.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TelMarineTelMarine Registered User regular
    Fiatil wrote: »
    No huuuge surprise, but Tribes 3 is dead. Maintenance updates only, credit to all who bought to play their Totally Amazing New Game, all of that good stuff.

I am shocked that focusing on small player count maps with no vehicles to chase the e-sports crowd didn't work out for them. Somehow an even worse effort than Ascend was really.

It's too bad as I liked Tribes: Ascend, but Rivals didn't seem to offer anything better than Ascend and had fewer features I think.

3ds: 4983-4935-4575
  • Options
    Yeah my main issue with Ascend was the bad monetization policy.

It was slightly better than 3 while still being dumb, but it had the bigger issue of omitting the parts of tribes I loved the most (big ol maps and fucking around in vehicles).

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular
    It seems to me that they didn't have the funding to do this properly, given how early they added monetization and completely blew their good will. Launching a multiplayer game is really hard in the best of times, and requires persistence and funding to weather a few fuck-ups along the way. Lots of thriving live service games came back from disastrous launches. But the fact that they've been onto a new game for months already shows that they really weren't committed to this at all.

• Options
    Yeah it's hilarious that they were spun off from Hi-Rez, then just did a complete Hi-Rez speedrun. Abandoned for the new hotness genre even faster than Hi-Rez does.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    Ruining a beloved IP like this feels like a direct assault against me personally and I'm still mad.