As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PS3 1.8 Results

george-xgeorge-x New YorkRegistered User regular
edited June 2007 in Games and Technology
I checked around for a thread about this, so either I'm blind, or nobody cares.

After owning the 360 for a while, and loving every bit of my Wii, I finally caved after getting about $200 of store credit and paid the difference for a PS3. Figured why not, I'll get it eventually, I might as well fiddle around with the PSN and Resistance for now.

Besides the fact that updating the firmware caused WiFi connectivity issues, everything works very nicely. BD looks fantastic, DVD upscaling is pretty good, but one thing that I'm trying to figure out is PS2 game upscaling.

Has anybody fiddled around with this? I popped in several PS2 games, and I really can't tell much difference except for Shadow of the Collosus being a bit jaggy. Has anybody had any luck with getting PS2 games to run nicely in 1080i/p? What options did you mess around with?

roster.gif
george-x on

• Options
    mausmalonemausmalone Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    What I'd like to know is that when people say "PS2 upscaling" does that mean that they actually run at a higher resolution through emulation, or does it just mean that they render like normal but are being then resized to match your monitor's intended resolution?

mausmalone on
    266.jpg
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    george-x wrote: »
    I checked around for a thread about this, so either I'm blind, or nobody cares.

After owning the 360 for a while, and loving every bit of my Wii, I finally caved after getting about $200 of store credit and paid the difference for a PS3. Figured why not, I'll get it eventually, I might as well fiddle around with the PSN and Resistance for now.

Besides the fact that updating the firmware caused WiFi connectivity issues, everything works very nicely. BD looks fantastic, DVD upscaling is pretty good, but one thing that I'm trying to figure out is PS2 game upscaling.

Has anybody fiddled around with this? I popped in several PS2 games, and I really can't tell much difference except for Shadow of the Collosus being a bit jaggy. Has anybody had any luck with getting PS2 games to run nicely in 1080i/p? What options did you mess around with?

I don't have any hands-on experience with this, but IGN had an article with comparisions between upscaled and non-upscaled games.

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/793/793775p1.html

Most game sites have been saying the upscaling makes some games look very slightly better, some very slightly worse and many just the same. So, your mileage may vary.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Interesting - it's kinda funny how Resistance runs in 720p yet I can upscale (I know I know it's not =) old games @ 1080i.

george-x on
    roster.gif
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Nobody else has PS3 dvd/game scaling experiences/advice? I'm a bit excited to fiddle with this gigantic black box - gonna try some of that PSP remote play stuff today too.

george-x on
    roster.gif
  • Options
    ThreepioThreepio New Westminster, BCRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    The DVD upscaling is good - almost on par with Toshiba HD-DVD HD-A2.

The game upscaling takes the PS2 edge off - I find the games are easier on my eyes (both figuratively and literally, I used to get eyestrain headaches with my PS2 on my plasma. Not so any longer). In my opinion, the difference is perceptible and the price for the update was right. Hell, I'd pay twice what I did for that update.

Threepio on
    142.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Haha, free?

I messed around with the DVD scaling on Matrix Reloaded, and it definitely looked better. I need a place to find cheap Blu-Ray new releases, heh. $35 doesn't cut it for somebody who buys as many movies as I do

george-x on
    roster.gif