Options

Penny Arcade - Comic - Irsa Major

2»

• Options
    dennisdennis aka bingley Registered User regular
    dennis wrote: »
    Some good news on the IRS funding/staffing front:

https://www.npr.org/2024/01/30/1227851166/tax-return-irs-danny-werfel

The biggest thing in there is probably the 12 state trial of the thing where you can file your taxes for free directly with the IRS, like a modern country.

If only it was a truly modern system, where everything was already figured out for you with the information they already have (and because their system isn't as byzantine), and they just mail you a card you sign off on.

• Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular

The biggest thing in there is probably the 12 state trial of the thing where you can file your taxes for free directly with the IRS, like a modern country.

If only it was a truly modern system, where everything was already figured out for you with the information they already have (and because their system isn't as byzantine), and they just mail you a card you sign off on.

That's how it works in the UK, for the most part

For employees, their payroll sends real time information (RTI) to HMRC, and at the end of the year they send details about employee benefits like company cars, and it all gets totted up

This information gets provided to employees at the end of the year by their employers, and they can also check on their online tax account, where they can also claim for work expenses like having to launder their own uniform or register for professional bodies (at least, I think so - that might still have to be done over the phone)

If an employer is accidentally taking too much tax from an employee, they don't have to wait until the end of the year to check; my first job in taxes was mainly taking calls from people whose employer had out of date information on them, and sending payroll the correct data, and in those cases the overpaid tax was returned to them in the next payslip

Of course, the UK doesn't have state tax as well as federal, which makes things easier; we also don't have a massive tax services lobby keeping it hard

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Yeah, there is so much about our taxes that the IRS already knows because employers and banks etc are already required to report it all that if they were allowed to they could make it like a 5 minute process for 95% of people.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    dennisdennis aka bingley Registered User regular

That's how it works in the UK, for the most part

Yeah, that's really who I had in mind, though I know there's a large chunk of other countries that do it this way, too. But thanks for the nitty gritty!

• Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    Best job satisfaction I ever had was the HMRC contact centre

Being able to tell people "yep, you've been overpaying tax, you'll get it back next month" thirty times a day, plus the occasional more complex issue to break up the routine

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    jberryjberry longtime reader firsttime poster Fort Smith Ark USARegistered User regular
    edited February 4
    As painful as getting it solved was, the people I've dealt with in the IRS haven't been your typical stereotype of a government bureaucrat. They've tended to be smart, knowledgeable, polite, and actually interested in helping solve the issue

seventeen years in the tax division of the arkansas public service commission taught me tax laws are poorly designed & unfairly applied our workload ebbed & peaked seasonally sitting at that desk twentytwo years ago i read my first penny arcade comic strip

worst is when taxpayers try to do right & get penalized my complaint to my director its wrong for our state to punish good faith & make problems for people

she said its the legislatures problem we dont make laws we enforce

civil servants work hard & try to be strong theres a song

capitalism delights the evil devil

jberry on