Options

[Canadian Politics Thread] It's poutine all the way down

RichyRichy Registered User regular
It's the most wonderful time of the year... Poutine Week is back!

For one week only hundreds of restaurants, from your local snack bar to the high-end luxury dining experience place, is creating a serving their own poutine recipe. Meat-lovers poutine, seafood poutine, vegetarian poutine, foie-gras poutine, nachos poutine, ramen poutine, ice cream poutine, we got them all. Come get your annual fill of calories at every meal while discovering the endless and endlessly imaginative ways we can combine french fries, cheese curds, and gravy!

Oh and in politics, Trudeau is still inefficient and uninspiring, Poilievre is still spouting platitudes and desperately trying to hide the fact he'll turn Canada back 100 years, Singh is still the most successful NDP leader ever in terms of policies implemented which makes him also the most unpopular NDP leader ever somehow, Blanchet is still tilting at windmills for Québec, Bernier may or may not still be alive I dunno.

sig.gif
Richy on
«13456720

Posts

  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Hrm. I live a couple of blocks from one of those poutine spots in Toronto.

    I shouldn't... but I might anyways.

    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    Disco11Disco11 Registered User regular
    Pretty lucky, have some decent poutine places around me.

    PSN: Canadian_llama
  • Options
    ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
    Oh good. Representation.
    h0iah0zbmfs0.png
    :vomit:

    I have nothing to add to politics right now.

  • Options
    WitchsightWitchsight Registered User regular
    edited January 29
    Smoke's Poutine here still makes a very disappointing poutine, despite it being in their name. I dont ask for much, but longer cut fries helps sway my vote.

    I work with some soon to be retirees who have a real hate on for Trudeau but like... Not for anything in particular? Hes certainly made some frustrating calls but they seem to hate him for things he had nothing to do with, or outright conspiracy angles. They are of course anti-vax and think ongoing world issues are hoaxes so I avoid their opinions if I can help it.

    Witchsight on
    Witchsight.png
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Witchsight wrote: »
    Smoke's Poutine here still makes a very disappointing poutine, despite it being in their name. I dont ask for much, but longer cut fries helps sway my vote.

    I work with some soon to be retirees who have a real hate on for Trudeau but like... Not for anything in particular? Hes certainly made some frustrating calls but they seem to hate him for things he had nothing to do with, or outright conspiracy angles. They are of course anti-vax and think ongoing world issues are hoaxes so I avoid their opinions if I can help it.

    No one who hates Trudeau has ever been able to articulate an actual reason for it. It's all just vague and formless, which is how you know it's just ginned up by right-wing media for his crime of being the leader of the Liberal Party.

  • Options
    CorlisCorlis Registered User regular
    I've lived in Canada for 32 years now and I've never had poutine. Something about the idea of fries with curds and gravy just feels off in my brain. Also, I lived in England for my first few years, so salt and malt vinegar are how I experienced fries as a kid.

    But I don't mind, as long as there's a bed beneath the stars that shine,
    I'll be fine, just give me a minute, a man's got a limit, I can't get a life if my heart's not in it.
  • Options
    daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular
    Oh good. Representation.
    h0iah0zbmfs0.png
    :vomit:

    I have nothing to add to politics right now.

    Where is the tortilla? Why is there an egg? What the hell?

    Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular
    edited January 29
    daveNYC wrote: »
    Oh good. Representation.
    h0iah0zbmfs0.png
    :vomit:

    I have nothing to add to politics right now.

    Where is the tortilla? Why is there an egg? What the hell?

    Well the description says there's a black bean patty, I assume it's somewhere under the toppings so we can't see it in the picture.

    Cora is a breakfast restaurant, so this is a breakfast poutine, hence the egg.


    EDIT:
    Cora is, in fact, a Québec chain of breakfast restaurants. Eating there was a special treat for me when I was a kid. It's cool they're in Halifax, I did not know they extended this far out.

    You might also remember them from the news, since a few years ago the company owner was kidnapped in his home by a disgruntled franchise owner, shoved in the trunk of a car, and held for an 11-million-dollar ransom.

    Richy on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
    Thanks, Richy. That's the best thing I've ever learned about Cora~

  • Options
    PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    Cora is everywhere. Except PEI

  • Options
    SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    Phyphor wrote: »
    Cora is everywhere. Except PEI

    I first ate there as a kid visiting family friends in Montreal, then again as a young adult when my brother moved there for work. I loved it.

    Expansion out of Montreal didn't do the chain any favours though. IMO the quality dropped from when it was only in Quebec.

  • Options
    physi_marcphysi_marc Positron Tracker In a nutshellRegistered User regular
    One of my first jobs was as a busboy at Cora’s, back when they still had a smoking section in restaurants. Our best dishwasher came to work drunk twice a week or so.

    I don’t miss those days.

    Switch Friend Code: 3102-5341-0358
    Nintendo Network ID: PhysiMarc
  • Options
    Disco11Disco11 Registered User regular
    shryke wrote: »
    Witchsight wrote: »
    Smoke's Poutine here still makes a very disappointing poutine, despite it being in their name. I dont ask for much, but longer cut fries helps sway my vote.

    I work with some soon to be retirees who have a real hate on for Trudeau but like... Not for anything in particular? Hes certainly made some frustrating calls but they seem to hate him for things he had nothing to do with, or outright conspiracy angles. They are of course anti-vax and think ongoing world issues are hoaxes so I avoid their opinions if I can help it.

    No one who hates Trudeau has ever been able to articulate an actual reason for it. It's all just vague and formless, which is how you know it's just ginned up by right-wing media for his crime of being the leader of the Liberal Party.

    It's the same thing as MAGA folks.

    It makes no sense because you are looking at it as a rational being. They have given up thinking and approached it as a religion. Trump is looking out for "the little guy/average American" is so laughingly absurd if you even put an iota of thought into it or have been on planet Earth anytime in the last years and yet..... JT is bad because he's bad and the people that tell them what to think say so.

    There are literal shrines to hating Trudeau on the side roads all over AB. That shit is not done by reasonable minds.

    PSN: Canadian_llama
  • Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    I think Trudeau is an empty suit and is literally riding on his father's coattails through life. That's about all I really think of him. He's boring and ineffective and has made some idiotic mistakes but I think that's also saved him because not alot of criticism against him gains traction outside of the right. Because he's so fucking bland. Could be worse.

    I checked the site and the nearest Poutine Week participant to me is something like a thousand kilometers away. C'est la vie.

  • Options
    PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    Steelhawk wrote: »
    Phyphor wrote: »
    Cora is everywhere. Except PEI

    I first ate there as a kid visiting family friends in Montreal, then again as a young adult when my brother moved there for work. I loved it.

    Expansion out of Montreal didn't do the chain any favours though. IMO the quality dropped from when it was only in Quebec.

    Unless you have like McDonald's rigor when it comes to training the franchisees, that's inevitable

  • Options
    Disco11Disco11 Registered User regular
    Nova_C wrote: »
    I think Trudeau is an empty suit and is literally riding on his father's coattails through life. That's about all I really think of him. He's boring and ineffective and has made some idiotic mistakes but I think that's also saved him because not alot of criticism against him gains traction outside of the right. Because he's so fucking bland. Could be worse.

    I checked the site and the nearest Poutine Week participant to me is something like a thousand kilometers away. C'est la vie.

    I think many here are not fans of JT...... But like yourself, we can articulate some pretty solid reasons why.

    PSN: Canadian_llama
  • Options
    GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    edited January 29
    There are apparently 4 cities in the whole of ontario participating in poutine week and apparently London ontario (my current residence) isn't on that list but Thunder bay (with it's population of 108k; less then my home town of whitby ontario for christ's sake) is on that list.

    The Fuck.

    Gaddez on
  • Options
    HerrCronHerrCron It that wickedly supports taxation Registered User regular
    Corlis wrote: »
    I've lived in Canada for 32 years now and I've never had poutine. Something about the idea of fries with curds and gravy just feels off in my brain. Also, I lived in England for my first few years, so salt and malt vinegar are how I experienced fries as a kid.

    My brain has betrayed me more than once in my life, but never this badly.

    Now Playing:
    Celeste [Switch] - She'll be wrestling with inner demons when she comes...
  • Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular
    Gaddez wrote: »
    There are apparently 4 cities in the whole of ontario participating in poutine week and apparently London ontario (my current residence) isn't on that list but Thunder bay (with it's population of 108k; less then my home town of whitby ontario for christ's sake) is on that list.

    The Fuck.

    The fuck is their city listing is fucked. If you look at the map, there are poutine markers all over southern Ontario (including two in London), but none in Thunder Bay.

    As a former resident of Thunder Bay, I am very much disappointed.

    sig.gif
  • Options
    Disco11Disco11 Registered User regular
    HerrCron wrote: »
    Corlis wrote: »
    I've lived in Canada for 32 years now and I've never had poutine. Something about the idea of fries with curds and gravy just feels off in my brain. Also, I lived in England for my first few years, so salt and malt vinegar are how I experienced fries as a kid.

    My brain has betrayed me more than once in my life, but never this badly.

    A greasy poutine at 3am after a night of drinking was mana from heaven.

    PSN: Canadian_llama
  • Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    I've only had poutine a handful of times. It's never been bad. But I had poutine once with braised beef and it was one of the most amazing meals I've ever had.

  • Options
    WitchsightWitchsight Registered User regular
    Disco11 wrote: »
    HerrCron wrote: »
    Corlis wrote: »
    I've lived in Canada for 32 years now and I've never had poutine. Something about the idea of fries with curds and gravy just feels off in my brain. Also, I lived in England for my first few years, so salt and malt vinegar are how I experienced fries as a kid.

    My brain has betrayed me more than once in my life, but never this badly.

    A greasy poutine at 3am after a night of drinking was mana from heaven.

    *Those were the conditions leading to the best poutine of my life, so if I anyone asks I have to use that asterisk. *

    Witchsight.png
  • Options
    Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    I'm not really anti-trudeau, but I'm not exactly impressed with the federal liberal party in the last few years. They just seem like a bunch of ineffectual do-nothings. I don't restrict this feeling to trudeau.

    Of course, when I vote its basically "who is most likely to beat the conservative in my riding" so I could very well end up voting Liberal in the next election. Or NDP, if their candidate in my riding looks more promising.

  • Options
    CorlisCorlis Registered User regular
    Disco11 wrote: »
    HerrCron wrote: »
    Corlis wrote: »
    I've lived in Canada for 32 years now and I've never had poutine. Something about the idea of fries with curds and gravy just feels off in my brain. Also, I lived in England for my first few years, so salt and malt vinegar are how I experienced fries as a kid.

    My brain has betrayed me more than once in my life, but never this badly.

    A greasy poutine at 3am after a night of drinking was mana from heaven.
    I suppose being so drunk that I couldn't taste what I'm eating would indeed be the optimal way to consume it. >:D

    Ok, let's just agree to laughter together at the guy in my high school who are his fries with mustard...

    But I don't mind, as long as there's a bed beneath the stars that shine,
    I'll be fine, just give me a minute, a man's got a limit, I can't get a life if my heart's not in it.
  • Options
    Disco11Disco11 Registered User regular
    Al_wat wrote: »
    I'm not really anti-trudeau, but I'm not exactly impressed with the federal liberal party in the last few years. They just seem like a bunch of ineffectual do-nothings. I don't restrict this feeling to trudeau.

    Of course, when I vote its basically "who is most likely to beat the conservative in my riding" so I could very well end up voting Liberal in the next election. Or NDP, if their candidate in my riding looks more promising.

    I think this is 90% of my entourage that votes this way.

    Lesser evil as a lifestyle, at this point

    PSN: Canadian_llama
  • Options
    GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    My Schtick with politics is that generally speaking I'm going to wind up pulling the lever for either an NDP or a Liberal pretty much non-stop with JT mostly being... fine. Not bad or good but this almost perfectly average politician who survives mostly because the other parties haven't been able to field especially strong candidates that the electorate can rally around.

  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Trudeau is in the end exactly what I expect of the Liberals. He's the baseline. We've done better. But he's solidly boring and midline and sometimes that's good enough.

  • Options
    darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular
    Yup, said it before.. he is his and the liberals own worst enemy. A lifetime of being Pierre Trudeau's son in a very wealthy family turned off his self awareness.. hey maybe this is bad optics.. maybe I should recuse myself from this, maybe I shouldn't do some cringe shit . I'm in Alberta.. the liberals might as well not even exist here, its NDP for me.

    Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • Options
    Disco11Disco11 Registered User regular
    darkmayo wrote: »
    Yup, said it before.. he is his and the liberals own worst enemy. A lifetime of being Pierre Trudeau's son in a very wealthy family turned off his self awareness.. hey maybe this is bad optics.. maybe I should recuse myself from this, maybe I shouldn't do some cringe shit . I'm in Alberta.. the liberals might as well not even exist here, its NDP for me.

    My old district was the only liberal one last election!

    The big problem is that this "lesser evil" mentality does zero to inspire moderate or new voters. The youth feel disenfranchised and "meh" is not going to bring them to the voting booth. We know the alternative is worse, My daughter has had JT as premier since she was 12, she and her cohort have no idea what any other government looks like, good or ill.

    PSN: Canadian_llama
  • Options
    DaimarDaimar A Million Feet Tall of Awesome Registered User regular
    Disco11 wrote: »
    darkmayo wrote: »
    Yup, said it before.. he is his and the liberals own worst enemy. A lifetime of being Pierre Trudeau's son in a very wealthy family turned off his self awareness.. hey maybe this is bad optics.. maybe I should recuse myself from this, maybe I shouldn't do some cringe shit . I'm in Alberta.. the liberals might as well not even exist here, its NDP for me.

    My old district was the only liberal one last election!

    The big problem is that this "lesser evil" mentality does zero to inspire moderate or new voters. The youth feel disenfranchised and "meh" is not going to bring them to the voting booth. We know the alternative is worse, My daughter has had JT as premier since she was 12, she and her cohort have no idea what any other government looks like, good or ill.

    I keep thinking back to how the Liberals totally botched their promise to get rid of first past the post voting. There are so many disenfranchised people from all parties that could get some feeling of enthusiasm about politics if only that had gone through in some form. Meanwhile, my district has gone to the cons who have less than 40% of the vote with an equal split between Liberal and NDP since I've been paying attention so I feel just super about it.

    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Disco11Disco11 Registered User regular
    Daimar wrote: »
    Disco11 wrote: »
    darkmayo wrote: »
    Yup, said it before.. he is his and the liberals own worst enemy. A lifetime of being Pierre Trudeau's son in a very wealthy family turned off his self awareness.. hey maybe this is bad optics.. maybe I should recuse myself from this, maybe I shouldn't do some cringe shit . I'm in Alberta.. the liberals might as well not even exist here, its NDP for me.

    My old district was the only liberal one last election!

    The big problem is that this "lesser evil" mentality does zero to inspire moderate or new voters. The youth feel disenfranchised and "meh" is not going to bring them to the voting booth. We know the alternative is worse, My daughter has had JT as premier since she was 12, she and her cohort have no idea what any other government looks like, good or ill.

    I keep thinking back to how the Liberals totally botched their promise to get rid of first past the post voting. There are so many disenfranchised people from all parties that could get some feeling of enthusiasm about politics if only that had gone through in some form. Meanwhile, my district has gone to the cons who have less than 40% of the vote with an equal split between Liberal and NDP since I've been paying attention so I feel just super about it.

    The sponsorship scandal happened when I was in my early 20's and had only voted once before if I remember correctly. I voted conservative, and proudly so, because the liberals did their liberal thing and fed the hog. I felt very morally justified, at the time, but was also too young to remember or understand how utterly terrible Mulroney and co were not a decade before and how Harper would do the same . Kids today are going to do the same, IMO. Currently, the only party hammering on the cost of living is the Conservatives and the young don't have the life experience to see past that. The liberals have done nothing to attract young voters. The only policy in this cycle I can think of that helped was the dental plan and we all know who is really behind it.

    I look at rent and food and can't fathom how this generation is going to succeed, the deck is stacked hard against them. I worked 70ish hours a week in my 20's , to get ahead. I did it for overtime that allowed me to buy a home, etc etc etc..... We now expect that just to survive and barely hang on.

    There is a reason there is a real 2nd right party does not exist as the left is cannibalizing itself and should merge ASAP, as much as I hate to say it.

    PSN: Canadian_llama
  • Options
    TubularLuggageTubularLuggage Registered User regular
    I feel like the NDP need to find new ways to get their message out there, and I don't know what that is. They talk about affordability and cost of living all the time, but I feel like it doesn't get any coverage or circulation, partly because they're not one of the big two parties, and then ironically because it's been a part of their message for so long that it's just expected from them and doesn't stand out.

  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited January 31
    I mean, I have no idea how long this has been a page, or how much it comes up in local or provincial/federal discussions, but the Ontario Liberals have a page addressing the cost of living crisis.

    Presumably it's not going to go very far with Ford as premiere, but a cursory google'ing doesn't indicate to me that it's being swept under the rug either.

    Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular
    Fuck the UCP and Danielle Smith… more to follow after I am not so angry

    Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • Options
    HerrCronHerrCron It that wickedly supports taxation Registered User regular
    darkmayo wrote: »
    Fuck the UCP and Danielle Smith… more to follow after I am not so angry

    I agree on general principle, but after a bit of investigation, yes.
    100% yes.

    Now Playing:
    Celeste [Switch] - She'll be wrestling with inner demons when she comes...
  • Options
    DissociaterDissociater Registered User regular
    So it's February, and my little corner of Toronto still has no snow, and it's like +4 out this morning. I think this is the first time I can remember there being no snow accumulation after January. Everything that fell melted within 24 hours. I don't like it.

  • Options
    CorlisCorlis Registered User regular
    So it's February, and my little corner of Toronto still has no snow, and it's like +4 out this morning. I think this is the first time I can remember there being no snow accumulation after January. Everything that fell melted within 24 hours. I don't like it.
    I'm a bit outside of Toronto and, yeah, this is great weather for April, maybe late March. In January and February, it just unnerves me.

    But I don't mind, as long as there's a bed beneath the stars that shine,
    I'll be fine, just give me a minute, a man's got a limit, I can't get a life if my heart's not in it.
  • Options
    SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    I'm out in the 'burbs north of Toronto and I swear I heard a bird sweetly* singing away in a tree the other day when I got home from work.... that poor bastard must be so confused.

    *(unrelated: I love that birds "sweetly singing away" is really just Bird language for "Fuck You, Jimmy!! Get the fuck away from my tree you sonuvabitch!!!")

  • Options
    darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular
    edited February 1
    so , still really pissed off but here is the details
    https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmonton/danielle-smith-unveils-sweeping-changes-to-alberta-s-student-gender-identity-sports-and-surgery-policies-1.7101053

    Surprisingly until yesterday Danielle Smith had been pretty quiet on anything related to the Trans community and due to having someone non-binary in her own family she kept it out of her policies (generally)
    https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/analysis-danielle-smith-alberta-trans-lgbtq-rightwing-1.6913153

    https://theprovince.com/news/canada/danielle-smith-alberta-transgender-pronoun-rules excerpts taken form this site


    Alberta will ban all top and bottom surgeries for those under the age of 18.
    - This never was a thing in the first place, unless someone is going out of country for surgery it doesn't happen, not within the framework of health Canada and it certainly isn't given as an option.


    Alberta will ban puberty blockers and hormone therapy for youths under the age of 16, with an exception for those who are already undergoing treatment.
    Those aged 16 and 17 can begin hormone treatments, so long as they have approval from their parents, doctor and psychologist.
    (I assume they mean psychiatrist)
    -too bad puberty is already over by that age so puberty blockers would be pointless, and I am pretty sure they already aren't being prescribed estrogen or testosterone until they are older anyways (id have to double check that)
    so the ability for a physician to buy time for their patient as they navigate their life and to avoid some of the irreparable changes that puberty can bring will be completely removed.

    For those aged 15 and under, parents will be notified and will be required to give consent to their child’s new name or pronoun.
    For those aged 16 or 17, parents will be notified but will not be required to give consent.

    There is many reason why you don't out a child. But don't worry Danielle Smith says there is already child protection laws that will be enforced if a child is abused due to their parents finding out. That is no comfort to the child who has to get yelled at, hit, injured, raped or killed due to their parents.


    Schools will need to notify parents, and receive an opt-in requirement, every single time there is a formal lesson on human sexuality, gender identity or sexual orientation. .
    Smith also said that the education ministry will review all instructional materials used on these subjects in classrooms.

    keep em ignorant and in the dark.. that always helps

    government will explore female-only sports leagues, with the possibility of transgender youth getting to participate in co-ed leagues.
    yea... this nonsense.

    There was absolutely no consultation with any medical professionals who are currently doing the work here in the province with the community. How do I know this.. because my wife is one of the few who does it in this province. They are absolutely horrified at these changes, the amount of kids who are going to suffer because of this crap is insane. This likely will also put a more distinct bullseye on the groups/clinics that support the trans community as well, my wife included.

    So yea... fuck the UCP and fuck Danielle Smith.

    darkmayo on
    Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular
    They are literally torturing and killing children for political gain. This is horrifying and disgusting.

    sig.gif
Sign In or Register to comment.