Options

Better Call (The [TV] Thread) Saul

• Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    Zonugal wrote: »
    Hacksaw wrote: »
    The Boys S4E6:
    Tek Knight being a private prison billionaire/descended from slave catchers was perhaps the most on-the-nose character trait for someone already so insanely vile. Well done, writers!
    The-Boys-Tek-Knight.jpg

Unlessss…

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    https://x.com/vulture/status/1810326654297813342
    Vulture wrote:
    Daunted by trying to get through 121 episodes of "Lost" now that it's on Netflix? Why not try doing it at 1.25x speed?

sick, twisted, disgusting, etc

• Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    edited July 8
    https://x.com/vulture/status/1810326654297813342
    Vulture wrote:
    Daunted by trying to get through 121 episodes of "Lost" now that it's on Netflix? Why not try doing it at 1.25x speed?

sick, twisted, disgusting, etc

Smells of cowardice

These hacks will behold the adventures of Nikki and Paulo at .5 speed for their crimes

Johnny Chopsocky on
    ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    uh, I binge shows to eat up time

speeding through them is counterproductive

• Options
    JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    MegaMan001 wrote: »
    EVIL Season 2 Spoilers / Questions
    I am only on the Elevator Game episode (which is such a good hook I cannot deal with it), but I am so curious what's going on with Sheryl / Leland / Kristen. Has Sheryl actually left Leland?
    It feels like she's still working for him, somehow. Sheryl felt disingenuous when she was apologizing to Kristen and I don't know if that character would be as tone deaf as to go to the same therapist as Kristen. Also, Leland made a comment about knowing what Sheryl's blood tasted like (which could be interpreted in so many ways) and Sheryl said Leland wasn't the first demon she's been involved with.

Was that metaphor? Was she being literal? Given this show I have genuinely no idea and it's a lot of fun.

I wanted to post that song from the Christmas episode, but removed cause some dick put a jump scare in it.

Ah! Here we go.

https://youtu.be/xtiW8rPp9AA?si=Cv2tjCfiAcIA_5V3
    I am starting to think Sheryl is the actual villain of the show.

It feels like shes being set up as a sort of puppet master or something. Just a rogue agent who's gonna play everybody off eachother.

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    I sat through 92 hours of Lost to learn the mystery of the island and god dammit, everyone should have to!

• Options
    The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    nikki and paulo?

the heart and soul of lost???

7656367.jpg
  • Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    I spent entirely too much time watching Sawyer and Kate locked in a damn cage!

• Options
    GustavGustav Friend of Goats Somewhere in the OzarksRegistered User regular
    Watching sawyer getting a fish biscuit is a gift god damnit

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    Newest House of the Dragon really showed for me it can not only do palace intrigue and political manuevering better than GoT but also big epic battles and scale. Think that’s the first time I was properly wowed by dragons.

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    LarsLars Registered User regular
    Gustav wrote: »

Only took the bears two hours.

• Options

the look of satisfaction on his face when he finally learned how to get the fish biscuit was the moment i knew i would defend lost to my dying breath

7656367.jpg
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    edited July 9
    The Shield season 5!
    ok ok.

One thing i really dont get is Vick's lawyer.

They haven't done a very good job of making her situation seem believable. Her whole thing is defending criminals and being against crooked cops.

And now she's defending crooked cops and had multiple times said he needed to prove to her that she should be defending him and he just keeps... showing her he's crooked as fuck and lying to her? And she seems to like him more and more?

I really don't get what they were going for with this character.

Beyond that though HOLY BUTTS this is getting spicy we cannot stop staying up too late watching it.

DemonStacey on
  • Options

the look of satisfaction on his face when he finally learned how to get the fish biscuit was the moment i knew i would defend lost to my dying breath

It’s also the point where everyone who tells a new watcher “You’ll turn around on Sawyer” gets to start feeling real smug

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    I kinda forgot Lost exists

doesn't stick the landing, I guess?

• Options
    Well no because the plane crashes but otherwise

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular

Oh no

Happiness is within reach!
  • Options
    GR_ZombieGR_Zombie Krillin It Registered User regular

The #1 Lost-head around here went out for cigarettes and never came back, and this is the result.

Oh shit

Is Geebs on the Island?

04xkcuvaav19.png
  • Options
    The ending of Lost is fine.

It’s FINE

Just leave it alone

• Options
    the ending of lost rules, actually

7656367.jpg
  • Options
    Dunno what else you could want from an ending to Lost tbh. Your mysteries get answered and you get a parade of incredible character beats.

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    MalReynoldsMalReynolds The Hunter S Thompson of incredibly mild medicines Registered User regular
    For all the shit the ending of LOST gets
    I really liked seeing everyone who has suffered so much under indifferent dieties get to be happy, and learning that they get to be happy together going forward is an incredible payoff in my eyes.

"A new take on the epic fantasy genre... Darkly comic, relatable characters... twisted storyline."
    "Readers who prefer tension and romance, Maledictions: The Offering, delivers... As serious YA fiction, I’ll give it five stars out of five. As a novel? Four and a half." - Liz Ellor
    My new novel: Maledictions: The Offering. Now in Paperback!
  • Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    edited July 9
    I only ever saw bits of Lost from passing in and out of rooms while other people were watching and the impression I got was something like a fever dream. At one point people were in a bunker, and Pippin Merry? was there but I think he died. And there was something about a polar bear?

Brovid Hasselsmof on
  • Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    As someone who hated the Lost ending seeing it live, I really really like the Lost ending now. Definitely something time's been good to

• Options
    GR_ZombieGR_Zombie Krillin It Registered User regular
    I only ever saw bits of Lost from passing in and out of rooms while other people were watching and the impression I got was something like a fever dream. At one point people were in a bunker, and Pippin Merry? was there but I think he died. And there was something about a polar bear?

These are all true things about Lost

04xkcuvaav19.png
  • Options
    I like the ending of Lost. I was just trying to avoid another discussion!

• Options
    but i always wanna talk about lost

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    If it was titled Lust instead of Lost I bet it would've been an even bigger hit

• Options
    pookapooka Registered User regular
    If there's a streamlined viewer's guide of Lost to get the highlights, I'd say it's a worthwhile cultural artifact -- if you're interested, not, like, as essential TV canon.

But I also feel like the interminable-ness of it all is also kind of a mixed contributing factor? You really dig in with these characters just because there's significant time spent with them.

Lost had some really good episodes of TV, and I'm curious if it hangs together as a series if you whittle it down. Film and TV are made in the editing, (well, you know) so it's just a subjective thought exercise, and I haven't been interested enough to revisit Lost since the initial airing. But maybe The Lost Fan will log on and be able to highlight essential threads and themes and a viewing order. (Other than 'Just and All Desmond Episodes'.)

As an example, "The Constant." It's a compelling story on its own, self-contained enough for a random viewer to enjoy, but is just such a bit of character and plot work that sets up, progresses, and resolves long-running themes and mysteries. It benefits from that weight of narrative and time investment the viewer has put in. But that knowledge isn't necessary, unlike many other episodes.

I was dissatisfied with the end of the series, so it feels to me less big-brained planning the way the seasons stretch things out. But whatever the intent, the result is that people who stuck it out were really invested in inferring story & meaning to fill in any perceived inconsistencies or justify the noodling around.

lfchwLd.jpg
  • Options
    ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    What if that guy's name was Voyeur instead of Sawyer?

• Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    The first season is still one of the most beautifully shot seasons of television ever. It's crazy how good it looks. Except it's not crazy because it was super expensive and they were using movie cameras.

It is funny when you notice the switch to digital in the 4th (I think) season and the color palatte takes a big old dump.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    The Shield season 5!
    ok ok.

One thing i really dont get is Vick's lawyer.

They haven't done a very good job of making her situation seem believable. Her whole thing is defending criminals and being against crooked cops.

And now she's defending crooked cops and had multiple times said he needed to prove to her that she should be defending him and he just keeps... showing her he's crooked as fuck and lying to her? And she seems to like him more and more?

I really don't get what they were going for with this character.

Beyond that though HOLY BUTTS this is getting spicy we cannot stop staying up too late watching it.

I adore Season 5 of The Shield. Forrest Whitaker was exactly the guest star that show needed.

ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    pooka wrote: »
    If there's a streamlined viewer's guide of Lost to get the highlights, I'd say it's a worthwhile cultural artifact -- if you're interested, not, like, as essential TV canon.

But I also feel like the interminable-ness of it all is also kind of a mixed contributing factor? You really dig in with these characters just because there's significant time spent with them.

Lost had some really good episodes of TV, and I'm curious if it hangs together as a series if you whittle it down. Film and TV are made in the editing, (well, you know) so it's just a subjective thought exercise, and I haven't been interested enough to revisit Lost since the initial airing. But maybe The Lost Fan will log on and be able to highlight essential threads and themes and a viewing order. (Other than 'Just and All Desmond Episodes'.)

As an example, "The Constant." It's a compelling story on its own, self-contained enough for a random viewer to enjoy, but is just such a bit of character and plot work that sets up, progresses, and resolves long-running themes and mysteries. It benefits from that weight of narrative and time investment the viewer has put in. But that knowledge isn't necessary, unlike many other episodes.

I was dissatisfied with the end of the series, so it feels to me less big-brained planning the way the seasons stretch things out. But whatever the intent, the result is that people who stuck it out were really invested in inferring story & meaning to fill in any perceived inconsistencies or justify the noodling around.

The challenge with this is that Lost doesn't really feature stand-alone episodes because of the overarching narrative of each season.

I can think of only two episodes that really function on their own: The Other 48 Days and Exposé.

Exposé would be AWFUL to show to someone as their first experience with Lost, because it'd spoil way too many reveals, per the joke of that entire episode.

So I usually suggest The Other 48 Days to folks. I think that episode showcases enough of Lost's entire energy that if they don't like what they saw, well, they probably won't like the series.

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    edited July 10
    The season 3 finale of Hacks is, as of right now, up there in my top favorite season enders of all time. Really the entire series is. This show is fucking phenomenonal. Every episode is better than the last. I cannot recommend this show enough.

2024 has been a fucking banner year for TV thus far!

Hacksaw on
  • Options
    DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    you guys ever notice that, despite not remember and/or hating Homer, whenever him and Mr. Burns are put together they get along really well?

• Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    edited July 10
    their dynamic is always great. Maybe because they both lack guile but in opposite ways. Homer is incapable of it, whereas Mr Burns thinks of himself as scheming and full of guile but hes so out of step he cant effectively pull it off.

Prohass on
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    It's a very tumultuous relationship. You've got hugs and personal growth, but also punches in the face and hallucinatory snowman gangfights.

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Prohass wrote: »
    their dynamic is always great. Maybe because they both lack guile but in opposite ways. Homer is incapable of it, whereas Mr Burns thinks of himself as scheming and full of guile but hes so out of step he cant effectively pull it off.

Except for the prank monkey episode. I think that was about where I gave up on the series.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    what makes lost special, at least to me, is that yeah it has this deeply entrenched, almost impenetrable at times narrative, but like none of it actually matters. it's a show driven by character beats, that loves and dies by simply putting different combinations of fascinating people in the same room together. it really dives into what makes these people tick and rewards you for spending time with your island pals and nemeses.

7656367.jpg
  • Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    edited July 10
    Lost's main problem was "not enough Shannon"

Poorochondriac on