Options

Better Call (The [TV] Thread) Saul

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    If you didn’t watch Lost when it was new it probably doesn’t seem like much but at the time it was one of the only shows out there like it.

Now the whole ensemble cast in weird mystery, maybe magical, situations seems to be pretty common. (Probably based on the popularity of Lost)

• Options
    LarsLars Registered User regular
    My enjoyment of Lost was bolstered by also reading the Lost threads here.

Does the website with all the Lost Points still exist?

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    The Lost video game for Xbox 360 is the game that got me over 100k gamerscore and I’ll never forget that.

• Options
    The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    Lost's main problem was "not enough Shannon"

yes, obviously

that and sawyer's boar nemesis

7656367.jpg
  • Options
    RELtasticRELtastic Registered User regular
    Arzt deserved better

• Options
    more shows need a shannon

7656367.jpg
  • Options
    Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Not a doctor Tree townRegistered User regular
    We started Lost with the girls a while ago, but it didn't quite stick. We might come back to it.

But they are starting to get into Vampire Diaries, so it's still Ian Somerhalder.

• Options
    GustavGustav Friend of Goats Somewhere in the OzarksRegistered User regular
    Remember Dr Artz? Remember when he just exploded like that?

Another underrated part of Lost is sometimes it’s written by a kid with a magnifying glass and some ants to burn.

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    Gustav wrote: »
    Remember Dr Artz? Remember when he just exploded like that?

Another underrated part of Lost is sometimes it’s written by a kid with a magnifying glass and some ants to burn.

The biggest possible accolade to Lost somehow finding the precise, balanced point where the ostensible "good god" on the show is still a huge piece of shit.

Oh? This guy? Jacob? He's trying to stop the world from being engulfed in darkness forever. He's also an asshole.

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    The Lost pilot is so fucking good.

• Options
    Casting guys who can really nail playing sleaze balls and crooks as basically the gods was a great touch yeah.

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    I've described Lost enough times to high school seniors who ask me to recommend them shows to watch that I have adjusted my initial sales pitch for it.

I usually lead with the basic premise: "A group of strangers crash land on a mysterious, magical island."

Afterwards I try to prepare them for the show itself by asking: "Can you believe in magic? Can you fully accept magic, as a storytelling concept?"

Because if they can't? Lost isn't for them.

• Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    I had a roommate who was like an evangelist for Lost, who would just not shut the fuck up about it, so I never watched it, out of spite, despite it very much sounding like my kinda thing, and now it's too daunting

Ah, hubris

• Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    Storytelling concept is one way to describe it, yeah.

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    GrisloGrislo Registered User regular

If he's so good, why did the plane crash like it did?

This post was sponsored by Tom Cruise.
  • Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    I had a roommate who was like an evangelist for Lost, who would just not shut the fuck up about it, so I never watched it, out of spite, despite it very much sounding like my kinda thing, and now it's too daunting

Ah, hubris

Anti-hype is a thing. I didn't watch any Breaking Bad until a year or two after it finished because people wouldn't shut up about how I should watch Breaking Bad and that made me pre-emptively hate it.

• Options
    Grislo wrote: »

You try piloting an airplane during an electromagnetic mega-surge.

• Options

It was THE ISLAND

• Options
    The thing about the magic aspects of Lost is that it gives you enough sci-fi and pseudoscience bullshit all around it that you can pretty easily make a read that's far less fantasy and more comic book sci-fi (though the distance between those concepts is basically non existent)

It just doesn't sit and give a lecture on the mechanics, which thank god.

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options

Look, Greg Grunberg was distracted. He was about to have to be a main character in Heroes.

• Options
    Oh, unless you meant Frank Lapidus. He was a great pilot.

• Options
    The thing about the magic aspects of Lost is that it gives you enough sci-fi and pseudoscience bullshit all around it that you can pretty easily make a read that's far less fantasy and more comic book sci-fi (though the distance between those concepts is basically non existent)

Oh, what I mean is that if you fundamentally can't accept "It's magic" as an explanation for stuff, oh, you'll have a difficult time in the back portion of Lost.

Because sci-fi at least provides a semblance of reason and logic, but magic? Well, magic ya just have to take on faith.

• Options
    Lars wrote: »
    Oh, unless you meant Frank Lapidus. He was a great pilot.

Frank Lapidus could pilot a plane in AND out of hell itself.

• Options
    Zonugal wrote: »

Oh, what I mean is that if you fundamentally can't accept "It's magic" as an explanation for stuff, oh, you'll have a difficult time in the back portion of Lost.

Because sci-fi at least provides a semblance of reason and logic, but magic? Well, magic ya just have to take on faith.

So you're saying it comes down to being a man of science vs a man of faith?

• Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    So you're saying Lost is a show about wizards

• Options
    Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    more shows need a shannon

Michael Shannon, specifically

XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
  • Options

Every show is about wizards.

Except for Wizards of Waverly Place.

• Options
    Whoa! I did not realize LA to Vegas got a physical media release!

• Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    "It's not the Devil. It's not mental illness. It's internet advertising."

Hell yeah, Evil.

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options

motherfu--

7656367.jpg
  • Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    If you didn’t watch Lost when it was new it probably doesn’t seem like much but at the time it was one of the only shows out there like it.

Now the whole ensemble cast in weird mystery, maybe magical, situations seems to be pretty common. (Probably based on the popularity of Lost)

in general you're probably right, but I avoided Lost like the plague when it was new because I was a special boy who didn't need mainstream slop maaan

many years later I decided to dip in, and by some miracle I had also avoided every single spoiler beyond "polar bear" and "smoke monster?". I didn't binge it exactly but got through a few episodes a week, and going in after the hype with zero expectations was actually really enjoyable

I don't think I'd rank it among my favorite shows ever but it was a good time overall (despite some of the sagging in the middle) and I enjoyed the ending a lot more than I think people did when it was new

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I tapped out of Lost about halfway through episode one, and I cannot give any sort of coherent reason about why it failed to grab me, but I bounced off it hard and have never felt the urge to go back.

It will probably just continue to be a giant hole in my cultural knowledge I guess.

• Options
    ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    I also did not finish the first episode of Lost.

Because it was a real snooze festival.

• Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    oh that's totally valid and honestly in the grand scheme of the full media landscape I don't really think you're missing out. I'm glad I got through it but it's a lot and for a lot of folks I'm sure the juice isn't worth the squeeze

• Options
    HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    I watched the entirety of Lost and can only remember bits and pieces of it. It was a show of intensely good imagery, especially by television standards, but that was all that stood out to me. A few good character moments here and there, some decent plot beats, but ultimately more froth than wave in my book. Not a show I find myself drawn to rewatch.

Honestly I think the reason the show has so much staying power for this community is because of just how big of a collective culture event it was for us. I remember the Lost threads. I remember the memes and the speculation and the rumors and the fanfics. Lost was a huge big deal for this place, and in many ways foreshadowed the group watch threads to come.

• Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    ChicoBlue wrote: »

It does start with a dude just sleeping one off on an island.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    ChicoBlue wrote: »

It does start with a dude just sleeping one off on an island.

And that dude…was Ernest Hemingway

• Options
    Zonugal wrote: »
    Oh, what I mean is that if you fundamentally can't accept "It's magic" as an explanation for stuff, oh, you'll have a difficult time in the back portion of Battlestar Galactica.

Just realized this also applies to another show.

• Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    Just finished up Shoresy season 3. That show continues to be the best sports drama on TV, and that's on top of being incredibly funny. But like, it just gets the aspirational underdog sports drama so well. Great pacing, always surprising, and what a note to end it on.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    Ratsult2Ratsult2 Registered User regular
    edited July 11
    y0CKoeg.jpeg
    close enough

Ratsult2 on