Options

Penny Arcade - Comic - Thanks In Advance

2»

Posts

  • Options
    nialloniallo Registered User regular
    Quid wrote: »
    Influencer just means minor celebrity. That's it. There are plenty of celebrities, small and big, I'd actually listen to on certain topics. Virtually everyone does.

    Yes. Good point. They're called influencers because of the encroachment of marketing language into everyday life - they influence consumers.

    Personally, I push back against all of this. My home is not 'a property'. My pile of boardgames is not an asset or a collection. The shit I make outside work is not a portfolio.

    I don't see young people as more - or less - victims of this capitalist influence on English.

  • Options
    Emperor MegamanEmperor Megaman Registered User regular
    niallo wrote: »
    I think Mike read a dumb book, or at least a book that said one particular silly thing. Perhaps as hyperbole.

    And because he's famous and we like his work, people are working to make that statement true, rather than looking at the actual humans around them. And no, Youtube and Polygon don't count.

    When I talk to young people in person they seem, frankly, much more politically aware than my own generation. But even if they were much less, the idea that they are so entirely broken that they don't understand basic concepts like 'selling out'? That's insane.

    The thing is... The newspost didn't say anything about "Young People". because he is famous and we like his work, people looked into this line much more that it deserved and took it as some sort of big statement (when it wasn't the main point of the rant), and assumed he was making a commentary on "the entire ensemble of human beings born after 2001" or something, but all he did was express surprise at a podcast where the podcaster where apparently genuinely confused at the notion of "selling out". He didn't went Kids theses days. This line was more like, "Surprised there are influencers (for lack of a better terms) who'd have a hard time understanding the concept". So yes, Youtube and Tiktok count, and are in fact the only thing relevant to that statement since that's precisely what he was talking about. Not the average kids theses days.
    The guy have kids, pretty sure he knows "normal" young people aren't like the podcasters in question.

  • Options
    Emperor MegamanEmperor Megaman Registered User regular
    Pyrian wrote: »
    Vast majority of the people chasing the algorithm also languish in obscurity. I'm not quite sure what chasing the algorithm has to do with selling out, though. In fairness, "selling out" was always a bit of a weird, nebulous concept that depended heavily on arbitrarily drawn lines. Like, a musician who directly hocked a product for pay would typically be accused of selling out - even though much of that same musician's income would come from sponsorships and radio advertisements that were adjacent to their music in the first place. But if they did it directly, that would get hackles up. You see the same dynamic on YouTube. Nobody blinks at ads that appear before/during/after your video, but if you personally endorse a sponsor in that video, that's both much more potentially lucrative and looked down on by some audiences. Heaven forbid you fail to disclose that you were paid for that endorsement. The terminology is different, but the dynamic hasn't shifted so much, IMO.

    The difference is that in the second case you are "lying" to your audience. and yes, that's a gross exageration. i use the hyperbole to make the distinction more obvious. If i am famous for -say- making music or youtube video, and youtube or the radio air adds before or after my content ? They're ads, everyon know they're ads and do of that what they will. if i'm the same famous person and pretend to be really into that latest brand without telling my audience i'm saying this because i'm paid to say it, that's a different level of scummyness.
    That said, yes, not anyone doing a endorssement is selling out. If you're being honest about what you're doing, and it doesn't contradict any walue you've been claiming to uphold, your audience will be much more willing to let that slide. If, for example, you claim to value a cause, but then go and advertise a company that goes against that cause one way or another, though? Part of you audience will call you out.
    It's like @dennis quoting Gabe quoting a book he's read recently said earlier.

  • Options
    dennisdennis aka bingley Registered User regular
    The thing is... The newspost didn't say anything about "Young People". because he is famous and we like his work, people looked into this line much more that it deserved and took it as some sort of big statement (when it wasn't the main point of the rant), and assumed he was making a commentary on "the entire ensemble of human beings born after 2001" or something, but all he did was express surprise at a podcast where the podcaster where apparently genuinely confused at the notion of "selling out".

    Jerry specifically called it out as "a podcast where two people younger than me" said it. Granted, Jerry is almost my age and there's a lot of people who are younger than us but also not "kids." And Mike added that his book quote was about "a young person".

    I think it's pretty reasonable to read that - I won't even say "infer" because that makes it seem like you have to piece together some missing clues and this is much more obvious - that he's talking about younger generations being different in this way due to the rise of influencer culture in their formative years.

  • Options
    Emperor MegamanEmperor Megaman Registered User regular
    dennis wrote: »
    The thing is... The newspost didn't say anything about "Young People". because he is famous and we like his work, people looked into this line much more that it deserved and took it as some sort of big statement (when it wasn't the main point of the rant), and assumed he was making a commentary on "the entire ensemble of human beings born after 2001" or something, but all he did was express surprise at a podcast where the podcaster where apparently genuinely confused at the notion of "selling out".

    Jerry specifically called it out as "a podcast where two people younger than me" said it. Granted, Jerry is almost my age and there's a lot of people who are younger than us but also not "kids." And Mike added that his book quote was about "a young person".

    I think it's pretty reasonable to read that - I won't even say "infer" because that makes it seem like you have to piece together some missing clues and this is much more obvious - that he's talking about younger generations being different in this way due to the rise of influencer culture in their formative years.

    My bad, the first quote should have been "young people in general". He did say something about young people, the post did implies that there is a generational factor in there, but my point is that he didn't claim that every young person was like that or that kids theses days have no morals like people have been discussing on this thread. It was more "It's baffling that there are people like that nowadays (on Youtube or social media, as opposed to every kid in Real life) as a result of how many things works". And the rant seems to place the blame more on how corporations are running things, than Kids having no sense of morals or anything.
    Now, one thing to argue is that there might have been people like that in the past as well but they just didn't have a podcast to express their confusion in public.

  • Options
    dennisdennis aka bingley Registered User regular
    Why would anyone assume that any blanket statement about a large group of people literally means every person in that group rather than just the majority?

  • Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    How about this for "selling out": If i'm sent a product for free and all to review it and I provide an honest review, that is not selling out.

    If however I get that product and provide a dishonest review with the implied or explicit expectation of receiving additional products, that is selling out.

    Me working at Brand X in the marketing department is not selling out, as that is my job to promote the product.

  • Options
    LttlefootLttlefoot Registered User regular
    Thats not selling out, that’s just lying. Unless you previously had a reputation as an honest reviewer, or had stated “I believe reviewers should be honest”, then it’s selling out

  • Options
    DjiemDjiem Registered User regular
    dennis wrote: »
    Why would anyone assume that any blanket statement about a large group of people literally means every person in that group rather than just the majority?

    I dunno. People just make that assumption.

    (Like this?)

  • Options
    dennisdennis aka bingley Registered User regular
    Djiem wrote: »
    dennis wrote: »
    Why would anyone assume that any blanket statement about a large group of people literally means every person in that group rather than just the majority?

    I dunno. People just make that assumption.

    (Like this?)

    Sorry, should have specified that was a direct followup to the post above. Specifically "my point is that he didn't claim that every young person was like that or that kids theses days have no morals like people have been discussing on this thread."

Sign In or Register to comment.