Options

The [Fighting Game Thread] is ok if you're close to the router

• Options
    Fig-DFig-D Tustin, CA, USRegistered User regular
    I had a 14 game win streak, 100% win rate with Jun before I switched to Asuka. I feel like I can never go back to her for that reason.

SteamID - Fig-D :: PSN - Fig-D
  • Options
    KnobKnob TURN THE BEAT BACK InternetModerator Mod Emeritus
    Bad yoshis will panic flash. Good yoshis will very intentionally throw out stuff in the -3 to -6 range and study how you react. If you're overly cautious, they're going to start stealing a bunch of free pressure. If you're overly aggressive about pressing on slight advantage, they're gonna flash you.

Pay attention to what is getting you flashed. His df+1,2,db+2 series is probably the most common flash bait.

Most importantly, you absolutely have to punish every whiffed or blocked flash as hard as you can. The quickest way to get a yoshi to stop random flashes is to make him scared of using it.

• Options
    TransporterTransporter Registered User regular
    I just want to say, listen to Knob and Morninglord.

Knob can attest to me not being trash, but that’s only because we’ve played in real life and I’m a disrespectful goblin who played Lili.

• Options
    I coulda sworn you picked Katarina on me

• Options
    TransporterTransporter Registered User regular
    Oh I’m old and mixing up years. I certainly did, before her hopkick was nerfed too, my Lili wasn’t ready then.

• Options
    ph blakeph blake Registered User regular
    I've been keeping a google doc of "stuff that is blowing me up and I need to lab"

So far my entry for Jun is "fucking everything"

7h8wnycre6vs.png
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    I mean, I can't even Dragon Punch cleanly, which is kind of why I fell off SF6, because I can't really do things (yes, I know modern controls, but still)

• Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    ph blake wrote: »
    I've been keeping a google doc of "stuff that is blowing me up and I need to lab"

She's extremely absurd and I've only played her for one day.

(PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular

The learning process wouldn't be so hard if the string abusers weren't also the most likely to one and done but at least replay exists.

• Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited February 21
    I went from assailsnt to the verge of garyu in like two hours because nobody can fight this character. Got busted down a level by people who popped up who can actually play. I shouldnt be here on this character I barely know how she works. No muscle memory. no idea what my ranges are, no idea which way she tracks, drop my combos half the time, and when pressured I get confused and typo and accidentally mash strings and people just die. Why am I at the top of oranges this is silly. I hadnt even touched her when I woke up this this morning!

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited February 21
    I wondered why Azucena players just throw out her power crush without a care in the world.

It's 16f and -8 on block, also a heat engager. Only downside is it's a high but do you really want to duck against her?

The frame data on this character is very interesting.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    Same with Victor b1+2, i15 safe power crush heat engager that deals chip damage on block

Actually one of the most annoying things about fighting that character (along with the bugged throws)

7h8wnycre6vs.png
  • Options
    Same with Victor b1+2, i15 safe power crush heat engager that deals chip damage on block

Actually one of the most annoying things about fighting that character (along with the bugged throws)

Victor is definitely one of those characters where I feel I'm losing more to my own ignorance than the people I'm playing. But every game has one of those so just have to figure it out.

• Options
    I literally launched punished a Lili who refused to stop spring kicking 9 times in a match to win.

They were Tenryu rank.

• Options
    I need to learn more about the Jun matchup, but I'm confident that once I really dig into it everything I find is just gonna make me sad

• Options
    Kevin CristKevin Crist I make the devil hit his knees and say the 'our father'Registered User regular
    Hey folks, Tomorrow (for real) we'll drop a quick Project L update. It will also be the last Project L update, because we're announcing our actual name and social channels. See you then!

acpRlGW.jpg
    Steam: YOU FACE JARAXXUS| Twitch.tv: CainLoveless
  • Options
    Watching TheMainMan have a hard time dealing with the same bs I have trouble with from Victor does make me feel a little better though.

That character just really has some ludicrous hitboxes.

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Looks like there's balance changes at CPT with the version running Ed

Not that it's a given that these will make it to the patch WE get, maybe they're looking for feedback from the pro players... but I'm very excited for what this probably all means

• Options
    Getting close to Garyu.

The amount of 1 and dones has increased exponentially.

• Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    Project L is now 2XKO, quite possibly the worst name.

• Options
    Kevin CristKevin Crist I make the devil hit his knees and say the 'our father'Registered User regular
    edited February 22
  • Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    i hate to be a doomer but this project (L) has some serious odor coming off of it

this shit has been in development for the better part of a decade and they seem more interested in blogging out about the great job they are doing for themselves rather than idk maybe put a product out

then you sprinkle in little things like the name (couldn't get any farther away from the league brand could you??) and its like man.. what is this going to be exactly

dont get me wrong it is visually very impressive but we have no shortage of visually impressive games that are fucking trash

playable demo?? two months from now? offline only? in japan? what?

valorant was announced and in peoples hands in the space of a few months lol

• Options
    Nah, I trust the Cannon brothers to make a good product. Rising Thunder was fun, and every bit of footage looks good + the demo impressions from people who have played it are positive.

Fighting games are hard to make, and I'd rather they take their sweet ass time than the other option

Like yeah, the name sucks, but eh, whatever?

7h8wnycre6vs.png
  • Options
    LarsLars Registered User regular
    For some reason, I thought the name "Project L" was for a Smash mod.

• Options
    Close, that was "Project M"

7h8wnycre6vs.png
  • Options
    Nah, I trust the Cannon brothers to make a good product. Rising Thunder was fun, and every bit of footage looks good + the demo impressions from people who have played it are positive.

Fighting games are hard to make, and I'd rather they take their sweet ass time than the other option

Like yeah, the name sucks, but eh, whatever?

I played it at EVO last year and I'm still excited to go hands on again. It was basically Rising Thunder x BlazBlue Cross Tag Battle and yeah I'm all in on that.

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    what is Seth Killian up to these days anyway

• Options
    Brolo wrote: »
    what is Seth Killian up to these days anyway

He's over at Netflix Games I believe.

He was working at Riot following the acquisition of Radiant, then hopped over to Epic, and now Netflix.

• Options
    Ima call it Dos Equis Knockout

• Options
    AshtonDragonAshtonDragon AKA The Nix Registered User regular
    Jasconius wrote: »
    valorant was announced and in peoples hands in the space of a few months lol

I think the game looks fine, and I'm looking forward to it, but I gotta agree with this. It's always rough when something releases multiple years after it has announced. Often times I'm no longer interested in it by that point. I have to assume there's some reason that devs do it, though... maybe they need to prove to investors that there's a demand, or something.

• Options
    It's inspired by marvel, and in marvel a 2xko is called a happy birthday

Therefore

2XKO is pronounced 'Happy Birthday'

• Options
    For how much I feel like I be fighting for my life in ranked I'm surprised I have a 53% win rate.

Also, this might be the salt talking but Victor has to be the most baby mode character in the game. I don't even think he's the best. He's just good in a very degenerate way.

• Options
    WearingglassesWearingglasses Of the friendly neighborhood variety Registered User regular
    I really wish I can be a fly in the wall and see how they're taking the community's reaction to the name they gave Project L

How surprised are they, I wonder?

• Options
    P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    if 2xKO were supposed to be pronounced "Double KO" that wouldn't be a good name either but i would at least understand it

Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Dos Equis Kao

• Options
    My Tekken ranked experience has been a bit wild the past few days. Went on a hellish losing streak; the classic "close loss into bad connection into losing to a weird knowledge check into tilting and playing terribly" where I really should have stopped but just kept rage queuing. Dropped like 3 entire ranks over 2 days, was just playing like utter ass.

Finally snapped out of it by 1) growing some sense and denying every single wifi player (which immediately made the average quality of my matches 100 times better), and 2) actually labbing some of the punishment/anti string stuff that I told myself I was gonna do but then put off for "just 1 more game of ranked, fuck it" (which of course always turned into another hour of rage queuing)

Immediately started winning again and made back those points, hopefully hit purple tomorrow if I can find time to play.

Biggest thing I need to work on with Leo is not just defaulting to stance pressure against people who obviously know how to defend against it. Like, there are so many people in red ranks who just eat shit to KnK 4 or even just never stop mashing and get counterhit by KnK2 over and over again, so when I actually play against someone with defense I'm sometimes slow to adjust.

7h8wnycre6vs.png
  • Options
    edited February 25
    My Tekken ranked experience has been a bit wild the past few days. Went on a hellish losing streak; the classic "close loss into bad connection into losing to a weird knowledge check into tilting and playing terribly" where I really should have stopped but just kept rage queuing. Dropped like 3 entire ranks over 2 days, was just playing like utter ass.

Finally snapped out of it by 1) growing some sense and denying every single wifi player (which immediately made the average quality of my matches 100 times better), and 2) actually labbing some of the punishment/anti string stuff that I told myself I was gonna do but then put off for "just 1 more game of ranked, fuck it" (which of course always turned into another hour of rage queuing)

Immediately started winning again and made back those points, hopefully hit purple tomorrow if I can find time to play.

Biggest thing I need to work on with Leo is not just defaulting to stance pressure against people who obviously know how to defend against it. Like, there are so many people in red ranks who just eat shit to KnK 4 or even just never stop mashing and get counterhit by KnK2 over and over again, so when I actually play against someone with defense I'm sometimes slow to adjust.

One thing you should keep in mind against people who respect KnK is that outside of sending it on 3,4 for the mixup(risky yes but you have to enforce it every now and then) is that if you hold df to transition into crouch dash where you have a lot of safe mid options and another low.

But yeah after a while knk doesn't become free wins so you need to vary things a bit more.

Also don't sleep on b1, 1+2. It may be -12 on block but it can transition into bok to duck any highs if your opponent tries to instantly retaliate and as long as you cycle that well you can make your opponent hesitate.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    yeah, that's what I usually try and go to in those situations, just crouch dash cancel block and see what they do, maybe into qcf1 or ws3 or whatever if I see they aren't challenging.

The real problem is that I've noticed I tend to actively think more on defense (look out for X string against this character, step here, flash duck here, punish with this, etc) and default to a rather flowchart-ish gameplan on offense to conserve brain juice.

And that works really, really well against like 80% of the people I'm playing at this level, the ones who just want to run their own offense over and over again and love to press buttons; it's just the 20% of the time I face someone with real defense and patience I'm way too slow to adjust.

7h8wnycre6vs.png
  • Options
    DeansDeans Registered User regular
    Man Tekken feels good. Every day the game feels noticeably slower, my movement and spacing get cleaner, and I learn how to punish a new gimmick. So satisfying.

• Options
    Yeah one thing about Tekken is that because there is so much to the game there is almost always something to learn so it's good at giving you something to strive for regardless of skill level.

Like I'm about to hit Garyu and now I have to actually start figuring out how to break throws.

Now I'm far from being able to eyeball it so for now I just focus on breaking the strongest options for each character.