Options

Come for the complaints, stay for the [Job] thread

• Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    Tonight one of those nights where i am reminded why I should not be in the field

• Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular
    edited July 3
    @RoyceSraphim

I'm having a hard time understanding what you're complaining about, could you please be more direct and less obtuse?

What is a timed quest giver?

Measuring something in time zones suggests covering a great geographic distance, but I cannot figure out who or what the first half of the sentencing means.

Royce is our resident Sphinx. I enjoy trying to puzzle out what he's talking about.

I got into the habit after that contract night where i worked for humans, who contacted me out to elves, who had me work with gnomes, whose shit got delayed because of dwarves working their shit.

So until the dwarves (didn't pay me) finished the gnomes needed me there

Until the gnomes (didn't pay me) finished, the elves needed me on site

And until the elves (paying the company, not me) didn't need me, i couldnt return to base and sign out to go home after having finished the contract assigned to me and later get paid by my human employers for this 8 hour shift that's getting pushed closer to 12 because of the dwarves
    Well get on to ChatGPT or whatever it's called and get it to write a 4-volume series 'based on' the writing style of Terry Brooks, who has no room to complain about that kind of thing, and get it on Amazon.

V1m on
  • Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    edited July 3
    V1m wrote: »
    RoyceSraphim

I'm having a hard time understanding what you're complaining about, could you please be more direct and less obtuse?

Measuring something in time zones suggests covering a great geographic distance, but I cannot figure out who or what the first half of the sentencing means.

Royce is our resident Sphinx. I enjoy trying to puzzle out what he's talking about.

I got into the habit after that contract night where i worked for humans, who contacted me out to elves, who had me work with gnomes, whose shit got delayed because of dwarves working their shit.

And until the elves (paying the company, not me) didn't need me, i couldnt return to base and sign out to go home after having finished the contract assigned to me and later get paid by my human employers for this 8 hour shift that's getting pushed closer to 12 because of the dwarves
    Well get on to ChatGPT or whatever it's called and get it to write a 4-volume series 'based on' the writing style of Terry Brooks, who has no room to complain about that kind of thing, and get it on Amazon.

Zen and the Art of Bikini Barristas by Royce Sraphim

BlackDragon480 on
    No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    There, had an initial 20-minute chat with a recruiter from Swedish Game Developer.

Funny thing is that this is for a position where a former EchoCorp coworker is the tech lead, so no bullshitting on the CV. Not that I would anyway.

• Options
    Let me finished editing the african mother book with a dark past and the Mali empire lost world mystery and I will get started on that

• Options
    V1m wrote: »
    @RoyceSraphim

Zen and the Art of Bikini Barristas by Royce Sraphim

Pounded In The Butt By Butch Femboy Elven Quest-Givers by Royce Seraphim & Chuck Tingle

• Options
    Please edit out the @'s, although I appreciate the lovr

• Options
    [Re]Quest assigned to me after hours yesterday: "Please provide a manual fund unit exit calculation* for this policy, as it has a manual calculation flag"

My reply: "Please refer to the Incident log* for this policy. We are not able to provide the requested calculation"

Their reply, summarised: several paragraphs about how important this is and what a huge complaint its associated with and how vulnerable the beneficiary is and how it is out team's responsbility to do manual rectification calculations, etc etc etc. All true no doubt, and widely cc'd for the education and edification of the audience

My reply: "Please review the contract notes for this policy type. It does not and can not have any fund holdings. It is purely a Term Assurance policy. Can I confirm where the request for the unit calculation originated?"

No reply as yet. Maybe when the team you use as a resource of last resort suggest you RTFM, TFM should be read. Just a thought.

* - a claim value
    * - a description of what's actually wrong with the policy record and what manual calculation is required and why

• Options
    chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    edited July 5
    In the US tomorrow is Independence Day. Where I live, it's predicted to be 105 F. That's too hot.
    We have to work Friday, when it's predicted to be 100+. As it will be so hot, we are coming in god-awful early to avoid being roasted like a brisket in the warehouse.
    Which means that on July 4th, with all the fireworks and noise and bamgbangs, on top of the heat, I have to go to bed early enough to get up at 0330.

Nope, no downsides with this. Surely everything will go smoothly and no one will have any complaints at all!

chromdom on
  • Options
    TayaTaya Registered User regular
    Taya wrote: »
    I have a meeting tomorrow scheduled from 11:45 to 1:15 do you think they will provide lunch

There was no food at the meeting. Our team leader said he considered bringing timbits but he was afraid of losing his parking space, so he didn't. Thanks boss.

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    I have a meeting tomorrow scheduled from 11:45 to 1:15 do you think they will provide lunch

There was no food at the meeting. Our team leader said he considered bringing timbits but he was afraid of losing his parking space, so he didn't. Thanks boss.

Fuck that team lead.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    Our department manager routinely schedules "crew chats" at noon on fridays - where he comes down to the control room and has this meeting.

Majority of the time, 60% of the crew doesnt show up because they are having lunch.

I think he does this on purpose because usually we end up asking "hard questions" that he doesnt like to answer

• Options

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aR1WKu4SLkg

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Sent out the monthly reminder last week for all the shop supervisors to send me their monthly reporting for a specific type of work so I can put together a report on things like the work that was done, who did it, how many hours, etc and hand it off to to the next person in line. It's not new, this has been a thing for nearly a year now.

Received nothing back aside from one shop saying no work of that type was done this month. Fine, I'm not chasing down every single one of these bastards to confirm so I mark down that none of this type of work was done for June, as I hadn't received any reporting otherwise, and sent it off.

Cue one of the higher ups looping in a shop supervisor and asking about work they'd told them had been done last week. Supervisor responds in the affirmative, so I send an email asking for details and a work order # so I can see what work was done. "Oh there isn't a work order, I'll make one."

That was half an hour ago. This reporting is due to Sacramento before the 5th of each month, tomorrow is a holiday, and I'm off on Friday. So it's not going to be my problem if they don't get me the data before the end of the day and this reporting isn't done on time as a result. I did my job, they did not, fuck this place and its legion of dipshits.

• Options
    You sent a timestamped email. End of story.

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Love to spend two days troubleshooting something to eventually realize that the problem is with the manufacturers own parameter values

I mean at least I confirmed it wasn't something stupid I'd done, I suppose

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    They did not get me the data. Who is surprised.

ANYWAY now it's time to get things ready because I'm spending the 4th of July moving into a new apartment and stuff that's not already in a box is gonna get thrown into a box.

• Options
    Oh yeah, pack up those last minute "miscellaneous" boxes!

• Options
    Dunno if this is firework ash or an actual fucking wildfire but I fucking want to throw up

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Dunno if this is firework ash or an actual fucking wildfire but I fucking want to throw up

It says it's 109 aqi here a notice on my phone I have no idea what it means

• Options
    109 means it's not great if you have sensitive lungs. If you do, stay inside, if you don't, maybe still stay inside but it's probably okish.

• Options
    David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    As part of switching to a new data capturing system, there's also the sunsetting of the old data capturing system. Of course, we still need historical data from that system, in case someone shows up and wants fuel receipts from two months ago or suddenly discovers that this fueling in January was on a different customer, but the termination notice was six months, we figured they could sort that out in six months.

Six months later we find out that they could not. We've been consistently stone-walled at every turn, we just now received a quote for the work they need to do to extract the data, and it's been five days of a big ol' "Site is undergoing maintenance" when trying to log in. All the current transactions are in the new system, so nothing is blowing up right now, but if they can't provide us with the historic data externally, they need to allow us access to the data in the system until they do. So I've been trying to call them directly and boy, that is also like pulling teeth. "Oh, he's just in a meeting, but he'll call you in fifteen minutes", no he won't.

"Someone will get in touch with you shortly."

"That sounds unlik--delightful."

13iepvv6o8ip.png
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    Haha

These buyers think they can tell my teammates and me what we should be doing

Some of their responsibilities did shift to my team when we moved to a new ERP and inventory system, but it's no wonder the buyers are always busy, with the amount of disorganized bullshit they work on instead you know, buying stuff and taking to vendors and getting ETAs and you know, they're job duties

No one needs to do this shit, shut up, geez

• Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    I got my second paycheck at this job and it’s honestly kind of infuriating to realize that all of the damage of slowly withering away and depleting savings can be undone so quickly if someone literally just gives you money every few weeks.

• Options
    Oh yeah I remember that feeling. The sudden realisation that you bought the good bread instead of the cheapest basic shit and that's actually OK. Needing new shoes and it's just a pain in the ass that you have to actually go get some, not live on noodles and popcorn for the rest of the week. And so on.

• Options
    Thanks for reminding me to budget for new shoes and my cousin's bills

• Options
    I do have to get new shoes but it is the unfun bills that prevent me from getting it [also the size I have to get limits my options}

It just annoys me to the point of enraging I can do 2/3rds of frozen but the cost is I am tried all the time which adds to it. Yesterday during the pep rally They said I was in frozen because someone called out. I said I saw. as I was leaving the room the team lead aggressively said how did you know he called out! I saw he did. You looked at the call out log {on the phone you can see who called out/called in late}

• Options
    Wow, just wow.

Had a plan, delegated said plan, fellow leadership did not do said plan because they didn't pay attention to text messages the night shit went down when we were both on the clock

Fuck it, I'm done

• Options
    We did not get a tailer for frozen/dairy because the warehouse had 60+ call outs on friday. So last night we got two trailers So I ended up doing just entree by myself with 4 1/2 pallets
    Friday was worse as I ended up doing all of the coffee isle and chips putting away all the bulk/gallons of water and ending up in garden center wresting with pools I came home a mess

• Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    Well I've had work stress brain worms all weekend and I think I figured out the problem. Basically we "cleaned" out account database 5 months ago to prep it for the new system. The problem is the people we were talking to only knew half of the long term integration needs so we macheted a bunch of stuff we're now going to have to go back and fix re-add.

If I've thought this through correctly it should work out but I could see it being impossible to explain to everyone that is already mad things aren't working right (they never did, but it's now a devil you know situation)

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    ElaroElaro Apologetic Registered User regular
    edited July 7
    Hi Job thread, long time no see.

Do you pals know if there's a website that tracks worker conditions and upper management behavior in different companies/employers? I'm thinking of doing a regular report to help job seekers form an evidence-based idea of where it's healthy to work and the risk of losing their jobs because management messed up.

I've tried to use Glassdoor, but it won't let me consult their 'Companies' listings unless I contribute my past work salary or a review. Which sucks, because I've not had a job in 16 years (for mental health reasons).

(An old friend got canned from Tesla a while back and I've been ruminating on how to prevent such a thing from happening again without having to talk to everyone who would need that info.)

Elaro on
    Children's rights are human rights.
  • Options
    XenaLenaXenaLena Bumflum IndianaRegistered User regular
    I guess my job isn't terrible. Where else can I go to get paid a semi liveable wage to sit and make a spotify life soundtrack?

• Options
    DaimarDaimar A Million Feet Tall of Awesome Registered User regular
    Elaro wrote: »
    I've tried to use Glassdoor, but it won't let me consult their 'Companies' listings unless I contribute my past work salary or a review. Which sucks, because I've not had a job in 16 years (for mental health reasons).

Nothing says you have to be truthful to the data harvester to get access.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    Daimar wrote: »

Tell them you're currently serving as first officer of the USS Lollipop. "It's just been commissioned. It's a good ship."

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Daimar wrote: »

Tell them you're currently serving as first officer of the USS Lollipop. "It's just been commissioned. It's a good ship."

It is always a moral act to lie to Glassdoor, and they're the deepest and widest trove of employer information around.

Do a good deed while you're at it, claim you worked at Walmart and they didn't pay you enough to damage your body stocking frozen every night.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I am being sent to work at two locations in my home state these next two weeks and I am not keen on it.

...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Options
    chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    edited July 8
    Hell, I even said in my Glassdoor review that my info was a lie and I never worked at... Microsoft? I forget, someone big like that.

chromdom on
  • Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    Probably for the best to lie to Glassdoor since they just exposed all the real posters of reviews or salaries or something recently so good luck not being retaliated against to all the honest posters

• Options
    Hmmm, the two women that top my list of people most capable of replacing me are beefing at work.

This is gonna be a clusterfuck

• Options
    DocshiftyDocshifty Registered User regular
    Whelp, I do belive I found my next Playlist for work

jd04tefj9cdr.jpg