Options

[D&D5e] [OOC] Icewind Dale - Rime of the Frostmaiden

• Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    ...Archie is offering the repeated use of Bonfire in that time. Provided you can keep your eyebrows from being singed...
    :joy:

• Options
    BursarBursar Hee Noooo! PDX areaRegistered User regular
    Esk probably can't contribute directly (with +2 Nature and +1 Survival), but would absolutely Help anyone going out to forage for firewood and/or bring Bluebell in, though the bird likely won't make it up the waterfall to this room.

If we are going to bring the remains of the fishers back, we will be bringing back a rather large container with us, though the optics of such a return to town would be iffy at best.

GNU Terry Pratchett
    PSN: Wstfgl | GamerTag: An Evil Plan | Battle.net: FallenIdle#1970
    Hit me up on BoardGameArena! User: Loaded D1
    Spoilered until images are unborked. egc6gp2emz1v.png
  • Options
    The BraysterThe Brayster UKRegistered User regular
    So uh, have we decided on Short or Long rest?

Some of you seem like you're happy with Short, some of you seem like you are preparing for a Long

Steam: TheBrayster
    PSN: TheBrayster_92
  • Options
    Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    There we go. From now when we bring it up we should post in here for a vote.

• Options
    edited May 30
    Agree for Short Rest
    Awesome for Long Rest

(+1 to Short from me, as you can't react to your own posts)

Bursar on
    GNU Terry Pratchett
  • Options
    ZomroZomro Registered User regular
    I voted for the Short Rest. Thorkel built the fire to keep Mort warm and dry his clothes for the journey back

• Options
    El SkidEl Skid The frozen white northRegistered User regular
    Looks like the short resters have it! Sorry for the delay Brayster, we’ll start voting right away next time I think, just to keep things moving

• Options
    You do have that axe bird right? I missed if it was given away or left.

• Options
    Bird is still outside… as far as we know anyway

• Options
    Hrm. I'm not sure what skill "build a sled" comes under, but Uma is very handy as a blacksmith... Perhaps she could put something together out of wood and nails?

• Options
    A simple Wisdom (Survival) check will suffice for gathering materials for a makeshift sled for both Cauldron and Remains, provided someone in the group has any form of crafting tools and the proficiency to use them.
    Nat20, woo

• Options
    edited May 31
    When we begin heading back to town, Thorkel can lead Bluebell by the reins as she (is the Axebeak a she? I cannot remember) pulls the sled, he is proficient in Animal Handling. He also has his lantern to light our way for our Darkvision lacking members.

Zomro on
  • Options
    Thorkel does not trust the Speaker at all, he thinks that the Speaker would use the cauldron to earn himself more gold and power rather than help the regular folk.

• Options
    @El Skid Do you currently possess a Pearl worth 100gp for that spell?

Either way, before spending that, I would draw you to the fact that Identify tells you the nature of the magic item, not anyone around you. Do with that information as you will.

• Options
    Oh! I missed that it had a non-trivial component…ugh, no I don’t have a pearl on me.

And yeah, us knowing that was kind of the point hehe… Uma doesn’t trust these goobers at all.

• Options
    El Skid wrote: »
    Oh! I missed that it had a non-trivial component…ugh, no I don’t have a pearl on me.

And yeah, us knowing that was kind of the point hehe… Uma doesn’t trust these goobers at all.
    Is that something we can buy in town, at this hour? We could send a couple folk in to grab it while the others stay here and guard the cauldron.

• Options
    I note with amusement that so far no one has come out and said what the Cauldron does yet, and we have also taken away Prudence's ability to find out on her own.

GNU Terry Pratchett
  • Options
    Thorkel won't blame anyone if they spill the beans, but he just doesn't trust the Speaker. A mixture of his natural distrust of strangers and his being uncomfortable in the more civilized parts of Icewind Dale.

• Options
    I think they’re probably lawful good just to throw us.

• Options
    We'll address the funeral when business in the town hall is concluded guys

• Options
    Could we flip the events around now that all the cool roleplaying has been done? Should be fine, right? Unless the DM is planning on adding to the death count between now and the funeral….

• Options
    Any opposition to filling the cauldron with a gallon of water, stirring it up, and taking a bite?

• Options
    I mean, on this occasion I suppose we could flip it around, but guys I'd really prefer not to make a running habit of zig-zagging across time periods in play if we can help it.

At the best of times this can get pretty confusing, doubly so in a module like this where time does matter and I need to track it. I'll end up either making mistakes or forgetting to loop something back in that you wanted to do, and no one wants a DM that 'Ignores' them.

In a hypothetical scenario where events went south before the funeral had a chance to get going, I'd have to declare everyone's posts void and that would be shit.

So in short, I don't mind the occasional post to the effect of 'I'm not going to be around much or have much to do in this scene, have my character do X when Y happens', but try not to let it devolve into entire scenes being played out of sync. My caffeine-hydrated brain only keeps steady at the best of times, I will make mistakes and your game will only be worse for it.

• Options
    I got too excited by the idea I had so wanted to post it while I had the time to write it out. I probably should have written Thorkel's song on a text doc or something to avoid that confusion.

So that's on me.

• Options
    I apologize, I didn't read the post carefully enough and thought we had skipped over the other stuff and had moved on the funeral. I'm happy to drop the funeral stuff behind a spoiler tag for later.

• Options
    I mean we can always spoiler the posts and copy em in later… no stress if keeping things chronological is important :)

• Options
    Hmm, if the Speaker spent up his own family fortune to try and keep the town going, that puts him a few notches up in Thorkel's book. It might not make him the best person, but assuages some concerns that he's entirely selfish. If they promise that the neediest of the townsfolk will be given food from the cauldron, then Thorkel would probably be fine with leaving it with the town leadership.

• Options
    I say deal, definitely a good guy. The money is worth it anyhow, it’ll do more good in our hands.

• Options
    Might be pushing it a little, but if we can get them to stop sacrificing people to Auril, that's also a huge win.

• Options
    Yeaaah that might be pushing it quite a lot haha. We’ll see what they say though I guess!

• Options
  • Options
    Nope, you're completely fine

• Options
    I figured it'd be a good idea to take a current inventory of our rumors / story hooks, since we're probably finished in Easthaven after the cauldron is resolved, for better or worse, in a few in game days.

This is what I can remember/ found on rereading sections of the IC thread. Please feel free to add anything I missed and especially feel free to correct anything I misremembered.

Torg's Caravan - we believe Torg's bodyguard, Sephek, to be a serial killer and are following the caravan in order to confront him. Partially connected to this is that the Easthaven Guard Captain is investigating who is rigging the 'lottery' system, the Speaker was looked into and apparently innocent.

Duergar - We killed one Duergar at the Easthaven Ferry, but there are more out there somewhere. They're looking for some kind of rare metal / mineral that can be used to forge magic items, I think?

White Moose - Thorkel heard a story in the Wet Trout about a dangerous White Moose around Lonelywood and shared it with the party.

Oyaminartok - Thorkel asked in the Wet Trout about hos childhood savior, the Goliath. Oyarminartok. Apparently a group of adventurers on the hunt for a lycanthrope were asking about Oyarminartok and were pointed towards Targos to find a tracking expert. Unclear whether the Goliath is the tracker they want help from or their lycanthrope target, though Thorkel has his own suspicions. Thorkel has not shared, yet.

House of the Morninglord - Uma asked the Easthaven Speaker about especially powerful healing magic and he suggested the House of the Morning Lord in Bryn Shander.

• Options
    Two you've missed to my memory:

1) Caer-Konig - they're having problems with seemingly invisible thieves

2) Good Mead - The Speaker was recently killed by some kind of giant, who also stole a large amount of their namesake, which has disrupted Ale-distribution.

• Options
    edited June 4
    I’m going to stay out with the cauldron, which I think is enough of a guard.

Arguably the serial killer is just a symptom of the sacrifices and isn’t the biggest fish to fry. I think the duergar would be able to kill more people in one go than ‘guy kills people who avoid being made into human sacrifices by getting someone else sacrificed instead’. It’s not like people aren’t being killed without him.

A handful of duergar means more duergar elsewhere. They might even be trying to make their own weapon against the big bad, since she’s a giantess (I think?) and all dwarves fight giants. Or should. Still, worth checking out.

Hunting down a magic moose is not a priority for ending the winter in my eyes, and probably existed naturally before it. It’s probably pissed it’s been winter for months.

I think Oyaminartok should be up there on our priorities, to get a huge werewolf ally who can make us all werewolves!!!

If a healer is needed for someone because they’ve turning undead or get mindflayered, that probably needs sorting soonish.

Endless_Serpents on
  • Options
    Arguably the serial killer is just a symptom of the sacrifices and isn’t the biggest fish to fry. I think the duergar would be able to kill more people in one go than ‘guy kills people who avoid being made into human sacrifices by getting someone else sacrificed instead’. It’s not like people aren’t being killed without him.
    True, but we told somebody we'd look into it. Might as well check that off our list first.

Once Sephek is taken care of, we can turn our attention to whatever's closest. That might be Caer-Konig or Good Mead, depending on where we finally catch up to them.

Looks like Targos is back near Bryn Shander, so we can head up that way after turning in the Sephek quest.

...though we might have enough to pick up +1 weapons after getting the cauldron payday.

• Options
    I have an idea for getting Sephek to come to us. He hunts people who avoid being sacrifices to Auril and then sacrifices them himself. Thorkel happens to know of someone who avoided sacrifice and might be an especially tempting target for Sephek.

• Options
    I don’t know your plan, but I can’t believe I didn't think to tell the speaker to put me down for a sacrifice, then stage a fake swap to someone else to draw in Sephek.

• Options
    Don't let me interrupt your planning and theory crafting, but once done please do confirm what the group as a whole is planning to do, as I can't really progress anything until I know where everyone is going to be.

The situation as it stands is - it's currently late evening/night of the 17th, your payment will be waiting from the morning of the 20th.

You have two full days to 'X'.

You need to decide if you want to actively do something during this time or 'Fast-Forward'.

If you opt to Fast-Forward, you have the option to remain with the Cauldron, or else give a summary of what else it is you are doing during this time.

If you don't opt to stay with the Cauldron, a retinue of guards will be posted there instead.

• Options
    I am simply going to guard the cauldron, get in good with the guards and gossip with whoever turns up/is staying there too.

If possible, and not illegal, I think it’d be fun to set up some regular card gambling games for a couple days. I can roll to see if I double or lose my 10 gp. I’m not thinking some crazy bet your life stuff. Just friendly games. Got to use a proficiency with cards somewhere!

This also allows me to pop out of the game again until robbers turn up to fight me or the party meet back up for payment.