Options

[D&D5e] [OOC] Icewind Dale - Rime of the Frostmaiden

191011121315»

• Options
    Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    Oh! I can say it here or the in-character thread, before you head out you should definitely advise the captain to get the cauldron chained and nailed to wherever they want to keep it. It doesn’t even have to be that conspicuous; four metal bars smelted to it would work, with a hole for nails.

u0sb78syr8hc.jpeg

It doesn’t need to be invincible, but it’d be a huge inconvenience in a robbery.

• Options
    ZomroZomro Registered User regular
    If I read through correctly when making my little summary post, the Guard Captain was going to give us some info on Torg's Caravan, but they might not have finished their investigation yet.

We can look into the caravan ourselves over the next couple of days by asking local merchants and then maybe even look into the rigged 'lottery' as that might give us a clue as to who Sephek may target next.

• Options
    El SkidEl Skid The frozen white northRegistered User regular
    If it’s true that we are responsible for guarding the cauldron until we are paid then I think we all need to play guard. It’s too tempting a target. Uma would be happy to weld it to the ground regardless, if Prudence or the speaker want to fo that- I think it’s a good idea.

If we’re not on the hook for it then I’m all foe getting out of here and moving back to our main quest.

• Options
    It’s a great idea.

• Options
    BursarBursar Hee Noooo! PDX areaRegistered User regular
    As Archie is going to guard the Cauldron in any case, I suggest we stay in town and fast-forward the next two days while Uma constructs a way to keep it less easily portable.

Barring any RP events for that time, of course!

GNU Terry Pratchett
    PSN: Wstfgl | GamerTag: An Evil Plan | Battle.net: FallenIdle#1970
    Hit me up on BoardGameArena! User: Loaded D1
    Spoilered until images are unborked. egc6gp2emz1v.png
  • Options
    I don't mind fast forwarding the next couple of days. Once Thorkel speaks with the party and announces his plan to bait Sephek, it should be simple enough to do as a quck aside if the group agrees to it.

Basically just gotta get the word to people with big mouths (Scython at the Wet Trout, for example) and it'll reach Sephek eventually.

• Options
    The BraysterThe Brayster UKRegistered User regular
    Apologies for the delay, it's been a busy couple of days.

Going by the plan to Fast-Forward, feel free to discuss anything that happens this evening, then let me know when you are done and I can move us on.

Steam: TheBrayster
    PSN: TheBrayster_92
  • Options
    Putting the finishing touches on a draft for Thorkel's reveal. Should be up in a little bit.

• Options
    El SkidEl Skid The frozen white northRegistered User regular
    Haha now I'm imagining all sorts of terrifying things Thorkel could be revealing.

..."Thorkel is actually... A MIND FLAYER!" :D

• Options
    On that note, it's probably as good a time as any to go back and read over your Secrets again. It's been a minute and you now have more, uh, 'Context' for the setting, so it's a good idea to refresh yourselves on your pasts to reflect on how you fit in the world.

Also, just because certain secrets might not have become relevant so far, do not assume they won't as the game foes on. That'd be a dangerous way to play.

• Options
    I did add a little spice to mine, the 'Old Ways' and 'touched by spirits' is just a narrative connection to when I go Path of the Beast, going with this from the subclass description.
    Such a barbarian might be inhabited by a primal spirit or be descended from shape-shifters

Everything else I'll leave to be discovered through play.

• Options
    If the party is cool with Thorkel's plan to put a target on his back, we can probably get our Long Rest in and fast forward to getting paid

• Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    I'm not 100% opposed to trying to draw Sephek to us, but I would be concerned if the idea is to spread those rumors then go about our business. Being ambushed on the way back (or during!) a big fight could be bad.

• Options
    Had to do a dozen edits there, my phone was having none of it.

I think starting the rumour after the payment makes the most sense.We can roll getting the cauldron and payment into why he was swapped off the list.

• Options
    We should probably come up with a plan of action here. Morti's best on the front lines... and isn't terribly well versed in subterfuge regardless. Is there a better plan than "Thorkel and Mortilocian walk up and ask Sephek if they've been killing people"? Do we want to attempt to scout where they're at, draw them to a location, etc, etc?

• Options
    Thorkel is fairly dim if it's not hunting or survival related, if he can relate something to those things he can be fairly clever, otherwise he's a blunt instrument. So Thorkel is 100% down to just roll up on Sephek and accuse him to his face.

• Options
    I'd love to gather some evidence, but our party is light on Stealth and Slight of Hand.

• Options
    Could pull the old we’re crazy cultists too! But that’s gonna be a big Deception check.

You guys could turn up to his ex to tell the bad news, but I doubt they split at the altar on good terms, and she’s known for her bad attitude anyhow so I’m not sure what that’s accomplish.

We could simply meet up with them to buy things, I could become offended by Sephy and then challenge him to a duel. My fire magic might have some effect vs his cold magic. Or he might body me and then you attack in my defence. We’re in pretty good with the guards and speaker.

• Options
    Provoking Sephek is a good play. Thorkel will probably end up talking shit about Auril anyway, he really doesn't like Her.

• Options
    Could Esk make a Religion or History roll? How common would it be for people to be Auril worshippers in general, without necessarily being bloodthirsty maniacs?

It would seem to me that there would be a lot of otherwise decent people switching religions just trying to get on the goddess's good side, since she's clearly in power over the region and can make their lives even worse if she wants to.

GNU Terry Pratchett
  • Options
    Yes, go ahead and make either of those rolls

• Options
    Esk seems... suspiciously knowledgeable about this, haha.

GNU Terry Pratchett
  • Options
    I think we're good to at least meet Sephek and catch a vibe on him. Whoever's got a good Insight can try to get a read on him as we talk to him about the killings.

• Options
    My apologies guys, things have gone from 1-100 for me for the last couple of weeks.

I haven't forgotten about this game.

I'll get you guys set up to continue during this coming week.