Options

[D&D5e] [OOC] Icewind Dale - Rime of the Frostmaiden

• Options
    ZomroZomro Registered User regular
    I may or may not know something about sacrifices due to background. Left it up for the dice to decide and though I forgot that my CHA mod is 0 and not -1, that was still a nat 1.

Thorkel does not like the subject of sacrifices and everyone can see that it bothers him.

• Options
    The BraysterThe Brayster UKRegistered User regular
    Just to clarify @Bursar , is that history check to recall information of the sacrifices or in regard to the murders?

Steam: TheBrayster
    PSN: TheBrayster_92
  • Options
    BursarBursar Hee Noooo! PDX areaRegistered User regular
    Oh! Shoot, I put them together in my mind. I suppose that was for the murders, but since no one was particularly asking about it you can ignore the roll.

GNU Terry Pratchett
    PSN: Wstfgl | GamerTag: An Evil Plan | Battle.net: FallenIdle#1970
    Hit me up on BoardGameArena! User: Loaded D1
    Spoilered until images are unborked. egc6gp2emz1v.png
  • Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    ...are there preparations we can make at Blackiron Blades? Mortilocian is pretty much broke :joy:

• Options
    Remember that Blackiron Blades not only operates as a blacksmith, but also as a vendor of 'General' supplies.

If it is a question of coin, perhaps aiding the citizens of Ten Towns along the way might give you the income you need.

Who knows what opportunities might reveal themselves

ooooOOOOOOooooooo

• Options
    It occurs to me that I didn't really address currency, as not everyone plays a lot of DnD and even those who do might have all kinds of different currency systems. This is the currency exchange for this setting, and I'll keep one in the Resources post for convenience

pgwj1uxdc4fn.png

• Options
    @Endless_Serpents Going on the assumption that you're all staying in the inn and in separate beds, you or another member of the party owe the proprietor another 7 silver, (or 70 copper, or 0.7 Gold, however you like to visualise it) on top of the 2 gold you already handed over

20 copper + 25 silver = 2.7 gold

• Options
    'Mixed' checks and you:

This module often makes use of check combinations that rarely see use in DnD, largely because DMs can't be bothered to ask for checks that aren't already paired up, if they even know this is a thing themselves.

In the event that you receive instruction to roll a 'mixed' check (such as the Charisma (Investigation) check I have just asked), just remember that whatever is in the brackets is a proficiency. So roll your 1d20+CHA, with the option to include your proficiency bonus (currently 2) to the roll if you are proficient in (Investigation) (even though it is normally paired with INT).

• Options
    Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    That should be the right bonuses. Hoping I can play it out a bit though, I gots an angle.

• Options
    I'm going to come up with a list of supplies to get, but what kind of gear does everyone have?

Thorkel has a hunting trap (from his background) and an explorer's pack which comes with:

-backpack
    -bedroll
    -mess kit
    -tinder box
    -water skin
    -torches
    -rations

So he's got a decent outfit for venturing into the wilderness. I know I want to get a shovel, as that should have some use. Depending on how in depth we're getting with the survival angle, then I was thinking of getting an iron pot (for cooking), a bucket (to collect water) and a basket (for foraging fruit, veggies, mushrooms, etc). If we're getting into the weeds on this, then everyone needs a waterskin and should have a mess kit so they can eat if we catch / forage something and cook it.

After that, rations are good in case we go long periods of time without successfully foraging / hunting.

There are tents you can buy but 1) they're pricey (2gp for a two person tent) and 2) Thorkel seems like the "build a primitive shelter" kind of mountain man. Perhaps some kind of canvas tarp, or two, that we can use to help build shelter when camping.

• Options
    I’m honestly pretty happy with my gear, I even got spare boots!

I think a bucket is a great idea, and surely we can settle for a bucket being a poor man’s basket. A tinder box is good too. I trust you, you’ve ’ventured before.
    dv6zuwjf8mq2.jpeg

• Options
    edited April 4
    Zomro wrote: »
    I'm going to come up with a list of supplies to get, but what kind of gear does everyone have?
    There are tents you can buy but 1) they're pricey (2gp for a two person tent) and 2) Thorkel seems like the "build a primitive shelter" kind of mountain man. Perhaps some kind of canvas tarp, or two, that we can use to help build shelter when camping.
    All the standard stuff (Adventure Kit, etc), plus Traveler's Clothes (2gp, sounded way warmer than the default Common Clothes and Cook's Utensils (1gp). Minus the 7 sp from the Inn, Morti has 6g 3s.

Tents aren't a terrible idea. I know most of us have Survival, but at 1gp / person the added protection and ease of use is probably worth it.
    (...though, speaking as somebody with experience in cold weather camping, a "portable canvas shelter" is only going to help so much. we'd really want a wind break and more insulation.)

I couldn't find anything explicitly "cold weather gear".
    So he's got a decent outfit for venturing into the wilderness. I know I want to get a shovel, as that should have some use. Depending on how in depth we're getting with the survival angle, then I was thinking of getting an iron pot (for cooking), a bucket (to collect water) and a basket (for foraging fruit, veggies, mushrooms, etc). If we're getting into the weeds on this, then everyone needs a waterskin and should have a mess kit so they can eat if we catch / forage something and cook it.

After that, rations are good in case we go long periods of time without successfully foraging / hunting.
    There's a pot in Morti's Cooking Utensils, but another pot couldn't hurt. From a survivalist perspective, everything's going to be frozen - we should have access to snow/ice, but we'll need to melt (..and imo, boil) the snow/ice before being able to drink it. The catch of course, is that pots are expensive - 2gp, as much as tent.

Most of us are trained in Survival, which should really help extend the rations. Bonus, Flint has "Arctic" for his preferred environment, which will grant him double yields. Assuming default rules (which is a bad assumption), if Morti and Flint can pass Survival checks for foraging every day we'll wind up with like 6 lbs food / day - which should be enough for the five of us.

That said, we should have at least 4 days worth of rations on us. Preferably (estimated journey duration + 20%) days, but I have no idea if that's feasible yet. Assuming default rules (see above), once you start stacking up Exhaustion due to starvation it's like 4-6 days before death. Ironically, Flint is gonna be the one at the highest risk for that. With a CON of -1, it's two days of starvation before his skill checks start getting halved. Bad times if we're need the Ranger to save us and he's starving to death. :smile:

Edit: Oh yeah, and Morti has Goodberry. 10 berries that provide nourishment for one day, and they last for 24 hours. As long as Morti can cast spells, we should be OK.

jdarksun on
  • Options
    Friendly reminder that you should all already have Cold Weather Clothes on top of anything else you started with. If you want to talk spares however, don't mind me.

5) Take your Class/Background equipment as presented, however you should also each start with a full set of Cold Weather Clothes*

This outfit consists of a heavy fur coat or cloak over layers of wool clothing, as well as a fur-lined hat or hood, goggles, and fur-lined leather boots and gloves. As long as cold weather clothing remains dry, its wearer automatically succeeds on saving throws against the effects of extreme cold (see “Extreme Cold”).

• Options
    @The Brayster Could Mortilocian Help (assist?) someone else on their Charisma (Investigation) check? @Bursar would Esk be willing to accept Morti's help on the task?

• Options
    Yes, in such a case the person rolling could do so with Advantage, provided the 'help' would be an action that actually makes it easier.

• Options
    Alright got some info. I’ll be back when The Brayster says I walk through the door, assuming I don’t have a random encounter on the way.

• Options
    I'll have a post up for Thorkel's shopping list a little later. Work has been a nightmare today.

• Options
    El SkidEl Skid The frozen white northRegistered User regular
    edited April 3
    Uma also has the guidance cantrip, and she’s happy to add a d4 to any non-combat skill checks

El Skid on
  • Options
    Also, another thing I should have gotten you guys doing at character creation but I kind of forgot about:

At some point, not necessarily right away, make a list of weapons/armor/items that you might like to have the chance to find in the world/be awarded. A wishlist of sorts.

You're not guaranteed to receive all of them, or indeed any of them, and if I do put them in they'll be unique in the world (ie if you miss that chest I'm not spawning it in the next chest, it remains in the missed one). Just gives me some ideas to fill out the loot where the module might be lacking in some areas/might not be as favorable to particular classes.

• Options
    I realized during character creation that Esk didn't have the money to afford a bow, so he's currently carrying a stack of javelins (as is Thorkel, I believe). He does, however, have both an amulet and a reliquary from his starting equipment because he's so dang holy. He's also carrying 15gp to donate to the "Let's Not Die in the Wilderness" fund.

He just has the default Explorer's Pack items for adventuring, which has 10 days of rations and rope/mess kit/bedroll/tinderbox/waterskin, so I agree that as long as we're going into a semi-hardcore survival campaign there's some gaps that will need to be filled. A simple knife/dagger and a handaxe for cutting wood should be possible from the blacksmith with his current amount of cash.
    For the Cold Weather Clothes, I just wrote it up as a custom item in Beyond and stuck it in my equipment.
    evz765ga925a.png

GNU Terry Pratchett
  • Options
    edited April 3
    Thorkel has his battle axe and two hand axes, the hand axes would make great tools for gathering wood for fire and shelter. A dagger / knife would be very useful. I do also hve 10 days of rations, so I can wait until our first payday to get some more. And with a druid, ranger and barbarian all trained in Survival, there's a good chance we'll be successful hunting / foraging (knock on wood).

If, and that could be a big if, the prices are going by the book, then a dagger, shovel and three tents (which would be enough for all of us), is 10gp, which is all my cash. Any other stuff would need to be picked up by someone else, but I'm willing to get those bigger items. Prices could be lower or higher due to a) lack of trade and b) lack of material or deliveries.

Zomro on
  • Options
    edited April 4
    @Zomro (and party)

For the purposes of this visit to Blackiron blades, I am happy for you to use the list from Chapter 5: Basic Rules as the stock of this shop, from 'Armor and Shields' through to 'Tools' with a couple of modifiers.

For as long as the shop is suffering its supply woes, the following modifiers apply:

1) All weapons are half the price listed in that chapter, but are noticeably poor quality metal, suffering a malus of -1 to attack and damage rolls and a Disadvantage on Intimidation checks using said weapon

2) All other basic adventuring gear is double the price, in a desperate bid by the store to actually turn a profit

Edit: Just realized these aren't present on that list, but they are available as well
    Snow Shoes (2gp, 4gp with modifier) - When worn, ignore movement speed penalty from difficult terrain (Snow).

Crampons (2gp, 4gp with modifier) - A crampon is a metal plate with spikes that is strapped to the sole of a boot. A creature wearing crampons can't fall prone while moving across slippery ice.

Cold Weather Clothers (10gp, 20gp with modifier) - This outfit consists of a heavy fur coat or cloak over layers of wool clothing, as well as a fur-lined hat or hood, goggles, and fur-lined leather boots and gloves. As long as cold weather clothing remains dry, its wearer automatically succeeds on saving throws against the effects of extreme cold (see “Extreme Cold”)

The Brayster on
  • Options
    I picked Dwarven as a background language, very awesome for it to be potentially useful already in speaking with the shop owners.

Maybe we can turn this missing iron thing into a discount or another paying job.

• Options
    Are the Cold Weather Clothes for sale supposed to be different from the starting equipment earlier in this thread? If I need to edit my gear, please let us know.
    Cold Weather Clothers (10gp, 20gp with modifier) - Thick clothing including a coat, gloves, a scarf, a possibly furred cloak or hat, woolen stockings, and thick boots. While wearing these clothes, you have advantage on saving throws to resist the effects of cold weather. Additionally, you have disadvantage on saving throws to resist the effects of hot weather.
    This outfit consists of a heavy fur coat or cloak over layers of wool clothing, as well as a fur-lined hat or hood, goggles, and fur-lined leather boots and gloves. As long as cold weather clothing remains dry, its wearer automatically succeeds on saving throws against the effects of extreme cold (see “Extreme Cold”)

GNU Terry Pratchett
  • Options
    Bursar wrote: »
    Are the Cold Weather Clothes for sale supposed to be different from the starting equipment earlier in this thread? If I need to edit my gear, please let us know.
    Cold Weather Clothers (10gp, 20gp with modifier) - Thick clothing including a coat, gloves, a scarf, a possibly furred cloak or hat, woolen stockings, and thick boots. While wearing these clothes, you have advantage on saving throws to resist the effects of cold weather. Additionally, you have disadvantage on saving throws to resist the effects of hot weather.
    This outfit consists of a heavy fur coat or cloak over layers of wool clothing, as well as a fur-lined hat or hood, goggles, and fur-lined leather boots and gloves. As long as cold weather clothing remains dry, its wearer automatically succeeds on saving throws against the effects of extreme cold (see “Extreme Cold”)

Woops.

Ignore that new description, I changed it back to the old one. A reminder to double check your sources, kids.

• Options
    edited April 4
    Thorkel is unequipped to try and talk down prices, so we're looking at 4gp for a shovel and 4gp per tent, which is out of budget. We might have to slum it in the wild and rely on Survival checks to handle camping / shelter for a bit.

I'll definitely buy a dagger for 1gp, Thorkel won't be using it as a weapon anyway, but just as a survival knife / tool.

Which way are we going to be heading out when we're prepped? I have a feeling that our current objective is at least in the same general direction as the side quest for the iron shipment, or I guess I hope so.

Zomro on
  • Options
    Thorkel is unequipped to try and talk down prices, so we're looking at 4gp for a shovel and 4gp per tent, which is out of budget. We might have to slum it in the wild and rely on Survival checks to handle camping / shelter for a bit.

I'll definitely buy a dagger for 1gp, Thorkel won't be using it as a weapon anyway, but just as a survival knife / tool.

Which way are we going to be heading out when we're prepped? I have a feeling that our current objective is at least in the same general direction as the side quest for the iron shipment, or I guess I hope so.

I’ll hop in the thread tomorrow, but the info I got that I’m about to share is: “He reveals that they left through the East Gate early the next morning, most likely in the direction of Easthaven, the largest town out in that direction.”

I’ll see if I can square that circle then.

• Options
    @jdarksun No need for an extra roll there; I don't think Esk would have done better. But you can have another roll for Advantage with Esk Helping!

GNU Terry Pratchett
  • Options
    edited April 5
    Alright, I’ll say more in character but it’s hard to describe so I’ll lay it out here.

We’ve got a problem, in that these two quests are not geographically lining up.

Our serial killer is heading east with the merchants he’s the bodyguard of. The shipment of iron is heading south from the mine. We’re always going to be behind the serial killer, unless the merchants stop for a couple days, which we can’t be sure of.
    ckw2yv1zdikt.png

But we could definitely fulfil the dwarves request, because the whole problem is the shipment of iron is halted by something, so we can reach them, wherever they are. If we assume the merchants have to use the roads, they’ll have to travel west from Easthaven, then turn off to head to the next town, which is to the north. This wastes a lot of their time.
    dq868iko06i1.png

So once we’ve sorted the dwarves problem, we cut across the wastes and meet them at Caer-Dineval. Kill the serial killer, or if they’re not we just rough the merchants up for being known assholes, take a cut of their ill earned gold and find the nearest sauna.
    vhbeqibranr1.png

What do you say?

Endless_Serpents on
  • Options
    I don't think it's certain that the dwarven iron trade is being held up somewhere along the route. It could be that the ore isn't getting out of Kelvin's Cairn at all. Do we want to go as far as we need to towards KC to find out what their issue is, or do we make the eastward hook halfway along the possible blue route* and ensure we make it to Caer-Dineval quickly?

*I suspect a trade route from the mine to Bryn Shander would also connect through Termalaine, which would make our shortcut less short. But we'll hopefully find out the common routes from Morti's investigation into a trademeister here.

GNU Terry Pratchett
  • Options
    What do you say?
    I love maps. I'm also extremely confident in Flint's abilities to navigate us off road.

...though I don't know the scale of the map. Ballpark 20-25 miles between Bryn Shander and Kelvin's Cairn? If we can manage 10 miles / day, that's probably ~2.5 days on foot at a good pace; I don't know the terrain, so it could be strenuous. If anything off road is considered deep snow it could be more like 5 miles per day, which would put it closer to four days to Kelvin's Cairn. If cross country hiking really is that bad, it'd be another day from Kelvin's Cairn to Caer-Konig; then another day down to Caer-Dineval. Six days.

Bryn Shander to Easthaven looks closer, 15-20 miles? Not sure how fast the cart would be traveling (5-10mi/day?), but ... two to three days by cart? And another 15-20 to Caer-Dineval from Easthaven, so between four and six days from Bryn Shander to Caer-Dineval through Easthaven (maybe).

Worst case (slow off road, have to go all the way up to Kelvin's Cairn + fast cart), we'd probably miss the serial killer's caravan at Caer-Dineval by a couple days. If Flint's knowledge of the Arctic (Natural Explorer!) can keep us at 10 miles / day, we'd definitely get to Caer-Dineval with or before the serial killer.

But.

Easthaven's a pretty big place, and I bet the serial killer will kill somebody there. The dwarven iron situation isn't urgent (hopefully); if we're confident that we can take down Sephek Kaltro with the gear we have, we should try to chase him down first. And then try to track down the iron caravan.
    I don't think it's certain that the dwarven iron trade is being held up somewhere along the route. It could be that the ore isn't getting out of Kelvin's Cairn at all. Do we want to go as far as we need to towards KC to find out what their issue is, or do we make the eastward hook halfway along the possible blue route* and ensure we make it to Caer-Dineval quickly?

*I suspect a trade route from the mine to Bryn Shander would also connect through Termalaine, which would make our shortcut less short. But we'll hopefully find out the common routes from Morti's investigation into a trademeister here.
    Yeah; do we know the path the Battlehammer Clan would take? If they've got a cart, you'd figure they'd want to take the roads - which would put them overload towards Caer-Konig, then following the road. If they're on foot, the blue line through the valley seems like it would make sense.

Anybody have knowledge of dwarves for a skill check / want to ask Elza and Garn?

• Options
    edited April 5
    I feel like we’ll need big fire damage capabilities before we take on a cleric of winter or whatever he is.

Edit: Actually maybe we can do that the old fashioned way… I do have some oil and torches on me…

Endless_Serpents on
  • Options
    But we'll hopefully find out the common routes from Morti's investigation into a trademeister here.
    No joy on exact direction, but we know how long they're gone for (days to weeks) and that they return from the same direction they left. At least we don't have to worry about them loop back around from the other direction.
    I feel like we’ll need big fire damage capabilities before we take on a cleric of winter or whatever he is.

Edit: Actually maybe we can do that the old fashioned way… I do have some oil and torches on me…
    Few things survive a funeral pyre.

• Options
    We can always see to the iron shipment later, it's not as obviously pressing as the prospect of a killer killing another victim. It could be pressing if the group delivering it is stuck out in the wilderness, but we don't know if the shipment even left the mine let alone got stuck somewhere along the way.

And Thorkel has... personal reasons why he wants to stop someone who is ritualistically murdering people.

• Options
    edited April 5
    Thorkel will definitely be buying (already calculating both the shoddy weapon discount and general good increase):

1 dagger - 1 gold
    1 shovel - 4 gold
    1 bucket - 10 copper

I was also considering maybe getting some signal whistles, which would be 10 copper a piece. There are risks involved with something like that, but I was also imagining a situation where aomeone gets separated and lost and can try to signal to the rest of the group where they are.

Zomro on
  • Options
    All good lads, I've been on the drink, I'll make some updates tomorrow

• Options
    Esk will be purchasing:

1 dagger - 1 gold
    1 set of showshoes - 4 gold

And will go in on the whistle idea for 10 cp

GNU Terry Pratchett
  • Options
    For the sake of keeping of keeping the narrative moving, provided you are not in danger I might occasionally just 'move you on' as it were, if I sense that there is nought more to be gained from a 'scene', so to speak. If at any point I do this while you were planning to do something else within that scene, let me know and I'll adjust.

For domestic scenes like shopping, you can still post in here what you're buying and how much money you are handing over and we can treat this as given without the need to roleplay the transaction, unless you're trying to haggle or similar, even if the story has moved you outside. Provided you haven't left town and are otherwise not in immediate danger, it would generally stand to reason you can shop at your leisure.

• Options
    So my secret was to have an old flame, and I picked that dwarf merchant with the serial killer bodyguard. I left her at the altar.

• Options
    Over to you guys since they don’t want to do a cool murder quest. Seal the deal.