Options

[D&D5e] [PBP] [IC] Aurils' Everlasting Winter

11213141517

Posts

  • Options
    The BraysterThe Brayster UKRegistered User regular
    7pm, 17th Nightal: 1489DR

    "Theres a market by the town square that tends to stay open until about 9pm. Pretty much anything you can imagine is sold amongst those stalls!"

    He pauses a moment

    "Say uh... Prudence? Were you not going to need a pearl for your magic?"

    His assistant is already holding a Pearl up in front of her face.

    The speaker nods and continues.

    "Well, uh, why not let them have that, as at least part of a reward for a job well done, eh? I can buy you a new one on the morrow"

    Prudence raises an eyebrow at her employer.

    "I suppose so?" She holds out the Pearl as an offering.

    Steam: TheBrayster
    PSN: TheBrayster_92
  • Options
    Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    edited May 31
    Archie stands up a little straighter.

    “We’ll be the first to have a meal from it, right before your eyes, sire. Arcturus Summerson, at your service.”, he shakes his outstretched hand, “Forgive me for asking right off the bat, but I deal in resources, and time is one of them. Is it coincidence that you meet us here and now, or do you require further aid?”

    Archie flicks a small crystal on a string free of his robes and palms it up to the captain. It’s a symbol of his rank, from another life. A borrowed dwarven military ranking system the towns use.

    For the captain’s benefit, he adds, “I’ll be working with these fellows, and I know them to be true. They’re up to any task, I’m sure of it.”

    Endless_Serpents on
  • Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    Mortilocian

    The druid looks at the pearl, momentarily confused. "Apologies, Speaker. I appear to have grown accustomed to the obstacles we encountered needing to be resolved by our own hands. I should remember that asking for help is a possibility. Assuming Uma is willing, this seems like an acceptable path forward."

  • Options
    ZomroZomro Registered User regular
    "Once Uma proves the cauldron safe, we are free to go? We lost a companion earlier today, and a few of us almost died today as well. We must put our friend to rest and then we must get some rest ourselves. The sooner we settle our reward, the sooner we can get some needed sleep."

  • Options
    The BraysterThe Brayster UKRegistered User regular
    7pm, 17th Nightal: 1489DR

    All three are intrigued by Archie's introduction.

    The Captain inspects the rank and gives an approving nod.

    The Speaker straightens himself up.

    "Well, truly, we were out in the docklands as I wished to check up on the Captain's progress of rooting out any more Duergar, following your incident earlier. It is only that the Captain spied you from afar and filled me in on the who and what. I'm always thrilled to meet travelers and adventurers passing through my town!"

    He then leans in a bit, almost as if he were hard of hearing.

    "But tell me lad, did you say you'll eat a meal out of it? Why would you do such a thing, if this is fresh from a hag's lair? Is this not dangerous?"

    Steam: TheBrayster
    PSN: TheBrayster_92
  • Options
    El SkidEl Skid The frozen white northRegistered User regular
    Uma takes the pearl, thanking Prudence. She moves over to the cauldron and takes an eagle feather from her bag, and begins to mutter while touching the cauldron.

  • Options
    Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    edited May 31
    Archie smiles, “To the victor the spoils and all that. Once clean, it’ll do no harm. Perhaps there’s a tavern you have preference to, we could dine together; I only have…”

    Archie pats himself down as if he usually carries a lot on him.

    “…10 gold piece on me right now, but that should cover us.”

    Endless_Serpents on
  • Options
    The BraysterThe Brayster UKRegistered User regular
    7pm, 17th Nightal: 1489DR

    Uma
    You learn little new from the Cauldron, save that its magic is very old. There is nothing immediately harmful about it, however. It is a Cauldron of Plenty.

    The Speaker looks like he is about to speak up, but Captain Arlaggath intercedes.

    "Perhaps the Town Hall might be a suitable place for the Cauldron, if we are at least quite convinced that it isn't the architect of our doom. Perhaps there you can regale us with what magic is in the damned thing that makes it worth dragging around"

    The Speaker nods his head swiftly.

    "Yes, the good Captain is quite right. I can arrange some food brought in for you all, we too would be quite eager to hear the tale! With your permission, of course."

    Steam: TheBrayster
    PSN: TheBrayster_92
  • Options
    El SkidEl Skid The frozen white northRegistered User regular
    edited June 1
    Uma stands, noddimg to herself. “Sounds like a plan! I vouch that the cauldron is safe as of this moment...at least so far as my identify spell can tell. If you want to be totally sure you could attempt a spell that specifically detects curses…I do not have access to any such thing.”

    El Skid on
  • Options
    The BraysterThe Brayster UKRegistered User regular
    8pm, 17th Nightal: 1489DR

    Captain Arlaggath gestures for the group to move away from the docks. She, along with Speaker Waylan and Prudence, lead the group through the streets as you pull the Cauldron sled behind you. You soon reach the town square, and across the way you glimpse a large building one could only assume would be the town hall. Between here and there you find multiple market stalls, seemingly crammed to the sides of the square to make room for events taking place in the centre.

    Yesterday it was the fires of an execution. Today it will the the fires of a funeral. The pyre under construction is almost complete, and already you can see the corpse of Flint Herdsman being prepared for its final moments. As you pass, the Captain briefly halts your procession to hand over the remains that you returned from the Hag's lair.

    As you approach the Town Hall, Captain Arlaggath motions to a number of guards, who take the cauldron off your hands and heave it inside. On entrance, Speaker Waylan gestures to some staff who scatter at once, and he follows them. Prudence leads you into what appears to be a sort of 'event venue', a room made up with multiple wooden tables and chairs, with colourful streamers hanging from the sealing.

    "The Speaker is arranging some food for you" she says at last. "I'm going to see if I can find a bottle of something good".

    Prudence then taker her own leave, leaving you sitting near the fire with Captain Arlaggath, who waits for her to leave before speaking.

    "I just wanted say how grateful I am to you all for resolving that business with the missing fisherfolk. While their ending is grim, at least we now know. I'm not technically authorized to provide a monetary reward, however the Wizard Dzaan had these items on him, and I figured they'd be far better in your hands than gathering dust in these offices".

    She hands over a Brooch of Shielding, a Wand of Secrets and a small leather pouch containing 40 Gold and 20 Silver Pieces.




    Brooch of Shielding*
    Brooch of Shielding
    Wondrous item, uncommon (requires attunement)

    While wearing this brooch, you have resistance to force damage, and you have immunity to damage from the magic missile spell.


    Wand of Secrets*
    Wand of Secrets
    Wand, uncommon

    The wand has 3 charges. While holding it, you can use an action to expend 1 of its charges, and if a secret door or trap is within 30 feet of you, the wand pulses and points at the one nearest to you. The wand regains 1d3 expended charges daily at dawn.

    Steam: TheBrayster
    PSN: TheBrayster_92
  • Options
    ZomroZomro Registered User regular
    This is for when the funeral pyre is lit, so slot it in when that happens

    When the funeral pyre is lit and the flames begin to consume Flint's body, Thorkel begins to sing. His voice is rough and untrained, but sincere and earnest. The song is a simple Reghed farewell to the departed.

    And now your suffering is ended
    Journey now, your Ancestors will meet
    Join them in longhouses well appointed
    To feast and sing, your story complete

  • Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    edited June 3
    Mortilocian

    "We should give the cauldron a test run, try it out among ourselves before offering it to the community. Just in case."

    (funeral)
    The druid listens carefully as Thorkel sings, registering the words and committing them to memory. When the half-orc is finished, Morti waits what they hope is a respectful amount of time before offering a prayer to the First Circle. "Birth is not the beginning; death is not the end. Grand is the cycle: one to the other, then back again." Morti smiles. "Maybe we'll meet again next cycle, Flint."

    jdarksun on
  • Options
    El SkidEl Skid The frozen white northRegistered User regular
    Uma raises her hammer to Flint’s pyre, remaining silent and sombre. As the others finish speaking their words she quietly says

    “I hope you find your way to wherever it is you wanted to go Flint.”

    And with that she puts her hammer away and heads off with the others.

  • Options
    Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    Archie simply remains quiet, his back to the fire.

    He weighs the pouch of coins in his hand before putting it back in some pocket. He’s keeping the loot for the time being, but intends to hand it out to however would best make use of it.

    Focusing on the business side of adventuring helps keep his mind off…

  • Options
    BursarBursar Hee Noooo! PDX areaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2
    Spoiler for post-Hall funeral, if applicable:
    Eskatan watches the pyre for a bit. It wasn't the fact of Flint's death that rattles him so much as its suddenness.

    "You died for these people, who never knew you, and will go on never knowing. But your acts have taken root and will grow in time, even if you yourself are lost. Your goodness reflects back into the world like the moon sending the sun's light back to us, illuminating the dark of night. Be in peace."

    Bursar on
    GNU Terry Pratchett
    PSN: Wstfgl | GamerTag: An Evil Plan | Battle.net: FallenIdle#1970
    Hit me up on BoardGameArena! User: Loaded D1
    Spoilered until images are unborked. egc6gp2emz1v.png
  • Options
    ZomroZomro Registered User regular
    edited June 2
    Thorkel looks to the Captain, "Wish we could have returned them safely, but at least no one else will fall prey to the hag's trap. Some comfort in that, as little as it may be for those men's families."

    "How is the food situation here in town? I can't imagine the Eternal Winter has been easy on your people."

    Zomro on
  • Options
    The BraysterThe Brayster UKRegistered User regular
    8pm, 17th Nightal: 1489DR

    The Captain shakes her head.

    "I'm afraid not. We've lost any means of farming across the Dale, hunting is problematic with a lack of foliage to sustain animals, and the Regheds won't tolerate any Townsmen interfering with their Reindeer. Trout fishing is the only real staple these days, but keeping up with demand is troublesome. People keep coming to the larger towns for hopes of better opporunities, only to find themselves disappointed. The more people there, the less food there is to go around. We find ourselves increasingly reliant on trade caravans"

    Prudence appears once again, with Speaker Waylan in tow, carrying a bottle of wine and a couple of pots of soup between them. They dish out food and wine to everyone present, before taking a seat themselves.

    Captain Alraggath continues - "Speaker Waylan has spent most of his time in office appealing to outside sources for support, to very little avail".

    The Speaker gives a grave nod. "Indeed. My family used to hold a small fortune, but most of that I've had to throw away to keep Easthaven alive. The smaller towns can't even support themselves, and Bryn Shander is in a similar position to us and can spare little. Targos is the only other of the Large towns that can reliably provide aid, but they charge us a fortune each time"

    Steam: TheBrayster
    PSN: TheBrayster_92
  • Options
    Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    “Speaking purely logistically… It seems clear war, though on a pitiful scale, is set to hit the towns soon enough. When resources are scarce, the obvious solution is to take what little there is by force, and if lives are lost, even your own? Well, let’s less mouths to feed.”, Archie muses.

    “How defensible do you consider this town, with your current man-power? Are you aware of any mounting threats?”

  • Options
    The BraysterThe Brayster UKRegistered User regular
    8pm, 17th Nightal: 1489DR

    Speakers Waylan's eyes widen a bit.

    "War? Heavens no, surely not. The Council of Speakers meets regularly enough that any town's grievance would be known and handled long before it came to that. Times are very difficult, that much is certain, but the Dale hasn't turned on itself yet".

    He straightens himself in his chair a little and looks to Captain Arlaggath, who clears her throat then takes over.

    "In the unlikely event of one Town turning hostile toward the others, the others would band together against them. However, I don't think any Speaker is fool enough to consider it. Waging war is nothing but cost and devastation, more than any of us could stand to gain.

    However, if you truly are concerned, then know this. Easthaven can muster up to 160 Soldiers, that much I can vouch, and I have full confidence in their training. Should a threat to the Dale prove more serious, it is long agreed that any endangered town would evacuate towards the nearest Walled Settlement - those being either Bryn Shander or Targos".


    She takes a sip of wine.

    "As for threats? You've just delivered us from one and alerted us to another. Whatever these Duergar are up to I would be keen to find out, but investigations take time. In the meantime, it might be worth listening for news from other towns, perhaps they have dealt with something similar"

    Steam: TheBrayster
    PSN: TheBrayster_92
  • Options
    BursarBursar Hee Noooo! PDX areaRegistered User regular
    "We may have helped to deliver you from a third threat," Eskatan says, looking at the Cauldron meaningfully. "I think we were hesitant to say it loudly in public, but this, er, item should be able to produce a substantial amount of food with minimal work. The hag attempted to bribe us with it, among other things, to let her live, but we contented ourselves with just the pot and a dead hag. Uma has examined it, and I believe that your assistant Prudy will agree with her assessment once she is able to learn of its powers."

    "But, given where it came from and its previous owner, I would understand if people wouldn't be willing to depend on it. But as a personal word of caution, if you do decide to keep and make use of this, don't keep it a secret. Things have a way of getting out, no matter how tightly you think you've clamped them down."

    GNU Terry Pratchett
    PSN: Wstfgl | GamerTag: An Evil Plan | Battle.net: FallenIdle#1970
    Hit me up on BoardGameArena! User: Loaded D1
    Spoilered until images are unborked. egc6gp2emz1v.png
  • Options
    The BraysterThe Brayster UKRegistered User regular
    8pm, 17th Nightal: 1489DR

    Everyone's eyes widen at hearing the capabilities of the Cauldron. A minute passes before Speaker Waylan turns to Prudence "Go ahead and verify if that is true for me"

    She nods, and swiftly leaves the room.

    "If what you've said is true, that Cauldron could save my town!"

    A few minutes pass, then Prudence returns with haste in her step and whispers in the Speaker's ear.

    "By all the gods! It is true!?"

    He turns towards you all and seems to be visibly sweating.

    "Please, please, good adventurers. You must let me purchase the Cauldron from you! I had money set aside to solicit more aid from Targos, but with the Cauldron that'd no longer be necessary!"

    He pulls a notepad from his pocket, and begins flicking through it furiously.

    "I need a couple of days to call in the necessary favours. Today is the 17th... Come see me on the Morning of the 20th Nightal, and I will be able to compensate you to the value of 2,500 Gold. In return, you leave the Cauldron in my hands, to be kept in this here Town Hall to provide for the people of Easthaven"

    Steam: TheBrayster
    PSN: TheBrayster_92
  • Options
    ZomroZomro Registered User regular
    "I have my own... issues with trusting those who lead, but what you've said makes me believe you're honest in wanting to provide for your people."

    "If we leave this cauldron in your care, you could feed hundreds a day with nothing but water, and there's a lake right here." Thorkel hesitates before finishing, "Would you swear to end the 'lottery' if we give it to you?"

  • Options
    The BraysterThe Brayster UKRegistered User regular
    8pm, 17th Nightal: 1489DR

    Speaker Waylan's expression dips as you refer to the lottery

    "What you ask is, difficult, if not impossible. The Frostmaiden has shown herself to be wrathful to those who would deny her their offerings. She would hold Easthaven, if not the whole of Ten-Towns, accountable for us not continuing to appease her. We'd likely condemn more lives than we would save"

    Steam: TheBrayster
    PSN: TheBrayster_92
  • Options
    Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    Archie leans in, trying to smooth things over.

    “I think I speak for us all when I say your offer is beyond generous, and will see us in good stead for our future pursuits—all of which will be to bring peace to this region. My ally here,” Archie can’t remember his name, but pats his shoulder anyway, “is especially heroic, so I hope you understand his sentiment.”

    “We accept your offer, sir, but I will put this to you: If ever we find a gap in her armour, a weakness to exploit, and return to you with knowledge of it, you’ll spread the word to end the lottery.”

    “History has many invincible tyrants… until someone kills them. Take heart, it is our intention to end this winter by way of sword and sorcery!”

    You get the odd sense the ‘our’ is not referring to the party.

  • Options
    The BraysterThe Brayster UKRegistered User regular
    8pm, 17th Nightal: 1489DR

    "I think any man who seeks to fell a god to be insane, to be blunt, but you almost make me want to believe you. Yes, the very moment I believed the lottery to be unnecessary, I'd put an end to it.

    As to the matter of the Cauldron - as I say, I should be able to summon my resources by the morning of the 20th. For the sake of security, I'd entreat you to leave the Cauldron here in the meantime. You are welcome to remain with the Cauldron yourselves until then, if not I can arrange a number of guards to remain with it. In the latter case, I am more than happy to foot the fee for whichever Inn you are staying at while you conduct any of your business in the interim".


    He finds himself interrupted by Prudence suddenly rising from her seat, and strolling towards the door.

    "Fret not" she calls back, "I'm just going to check on the progress of the Pyre. Pray, finish your meals while you wait"

    Steam: TheBrayster
    PSN: TheBrayster_92
  • Options
    ZomroZomro Registered User regular
    Thorkel raises his cup "Here's to remembering warmer times with full bellies. May it make the lottery unnecessary sooner rather than later."

    Thorkel addresses his companions, "Best we could hope for, I think. At least we won't have to lug that thing around in the ice and snow."

  • Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    Mortilocian

    "The Frostmaiden is not known for her mercy, Speaker." The druid shook free a bead of sweat to the ground, letting it freeze as an offering of respect to a member of the First Circle. "I don't think you're buying a reprieve from the storm with those sacrifices, so much as hoping her wrath is focused elsewhere." Morti shrugs, looking out across the frozen landscape. "How long until another town starts doubling the lottery, in the hopes of currying more favor? To be clear, I have no answer for you yet. Just the feeling that sacrifices will not stop one who wishes to cover the world in ice."

  • Options
    Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    Archie can only nod in agreement, but is sympathetic to their plight. He takes out his cards and begins to shuffle them to pass the time.

  • Options
    El SkidEl Skid The frozen white northRegistered User regular
    Uma shakes her head and mutters quietly “t‘is a waste of people, but I guess they’re yer people..”

    Once talk of sacrifices and gods die down, Uma walks up beside the speaker, clearing her throat and softly saying:

    “Yer eminence, I was wondering if I might ask ye who th’ most powerful healer in th’ ten towns might be? An acquaintance has gotten themselves into summat, and I need ta speak with someone with access to tha good stuff, magic wise, if ye ken.”

  • Options
    The BraysterThe Brayster UKRegistered User regular
    9pm, 17th Nightal: 1489DR

    "You're right, young one, she's not known for her mercy. Which is why we can't count on it, no matter what. No Speaker among the Ten-Towns is insane enough to believe that her favour can be gained in any meaninful way, only that her wrath might be averted for a short time. We are painfully aware of the difference."

    Waylan turns to the Kobold.

    "If your acquintance needs healing magic more powerful than that which the average cleric or healer can provide, the only advice I can give you is to seek out the House of the Morninglord in Bryn Shander. The priest there is more capable than anyone else in Ten-Towns that I am aware of"

    The small talk continues for a short while longer before Prudence re-appears.

    "The Pyre is ready Sir, they're wating on you to begin"


    You all filter out of the Town Hall, back into the main square. In the centre is a rudimentary stockade of firewood, built both tall and wide to account for the remains of the fishermen you returned, as well as a couple of other bodies you do not recognise. In the centre of it all, however, lies the corpse of Flint Herdsman, your former companion.

    Speaker Waylan strolls though a parting crowd and accepts a torch from one of the attending militia. He speaks out, in a voice more loud and clear than you thought him capable of, certainly a marked difference from the overly-grandiose yet stuttering old man you had been talking to prior.

    "My good fellows of Easthaven. We are gathered here today to mourn a tragedy, one of horrifyingly too many to strike our good Town in recent times. It is important in this time of sorrow to remember the bright lights that these folks represented in our lives".

    Speaker Waylan begins to recite name after name, deed after deed, of all the deceased lying before you. Across the crowd you hear the bitter cries of old women, the wailing of the young, and notice a number of children clutching the legs of a singular parent in mourning. Finally, the Speaker comes to a name you recognise, his voice now almost hoarse against the blowing winter winds.

    "Finally, we come to Flint Herdsman. While not of Easthaven, he was our brother of the Dale. I am told he is born of the Reghed Tribes, his people - the Tribe of the Marmot. He was an everyman, a confidant, a hero, and a friend. While his time among us was much too short, may his deeds carry his name and soul long into the eternal mists".

    He lowers his torch to the Pyre, and despite the cold, the flames carry high and hot in short order.


    Thorkel

    When the funeral pyre is lit and the flames begin to consume Flint's body, Thorkel begins to sing. His voice is rough and untrained, but sincere and earnest. The song is a simple Reghed farewell to the departed.

    And now your suffering is ended
    Journey now, your Ancestors will meet
    Join them in longhouses well appointed
    To feast and sing, your story complete



    Mortilocian

    The druid listens carefully as Thorkel sings, registering the words and committing them to memory. When the half-orc is finished, Morti waits what they hope is a respectful amount of time before offering a prayer to the First Circle. "Birth is not the beginning; death is not the end. Grand is the cycle: one to the other, then back again." Morti smiles. "Maybe we'll meet again next cycle, Flint."


    Uma

    Uma raises her hammer to Flint’s pyre, remaining silent and sombre. As the others finish speaking their words she quietly says

    “I hope you find your way to wherever it is you wanted to go Flint.”


    Eskatan

    Eskatan watches the pyre for a bit. It wasn't the fact of Flint's death that rattles him so much as its suddenness.

    "You died for these people, who never knew you, and will go on never knowing. But your acts have taken root and will grow in time, even if you yourself are lost. Your goodness reflects back into the world like the moon sending the sun's light back to us, illuminating the dark of night. Be in peace."

    Steam: TheBrayster
    PSN: TheBrayster_92
  • Options
    The BraysterThe Brayster UKRegistered User regular
    10pm, 17th Nightal: 1489DR

    The Pyre burns for some time before the fires begin to dim. The crowd, little by little, begins to disperse. Above you, light begins to shine upon the Dale once more, as once again Auriel's Aurora fills the sky, her nightly ritual to banish the sun complete, an all too usual reminder to the people of Ten-Towns of their chilling fate.

    As the crowd narrows, Prudence approaches the group.

    "Well, folks, I guess that's it for the evening. My Master would remind you to see him on the morning of the 20th Nightal to collect your fee. Will you be attending the Cauldron during this time, or shall I arrange a guard from the militia?"

    Steam: TheBrayster
    PSN: TheBrayster_92
  • Options
    ZomroZomro Registered User regular
    "It's a large amount of gold, is there a writ or note to prove our payment? A dwarven merchant I knew once told me to get these things 'in writing'."

    "If not, then I may just keep guard over it. To be safe."

  • Options
    The BraysterThe Brayster UKRegistered User regular
    10pm, 17th Nightal: 1489DR

    "Truth be told, I didn't expect that" Prudence says, rubbing her hands to stave off cold.

    "This isn't a normal transaction. Perhaps the Speaker intends to provide one once he pays you?"

    The crowd filters out further, until there are only a handful of people remaining on the street.

    "The choice is yours. You can guard your property yourself until payment is made, or we can arrange a guard for it. If you would rather free yourselves for other business, do keep in mind that the Speaker has offered to cover your Inn fees until he makes his payment"

    Steam: TheBrayster
    PSN: TheBrayster_92
  • Options
    El SkidEl Skid The frozen white northRegistered User regular
    edited June 4
    Uma looks at Prudence thoughtfully. “This dinnae seem right. We’ve given an item to yas into yer custody… a town tha’ should be able to protect it better than we… an’ we’re bein’ asked to guard it oorswlves just ‘cause ye canna pay yet?”

    She frowned. “An’ am I understandin’ tha’ if someone nicks the cauldron, either from us or from the militia, tha’ we’ll not be paid? Tha’ sounds all kinds a’ wrong…”

    El Skid on
  • Options
    BursarBursar Hee Noooo! PDX areaRegistered User regular
    "This does give us some days to check up on our other quarry in Caer-Dineval, then swing back through here on our return along the roads to the other Towns," Esk reasons. "We have the word of two high-ranking members of the local government that we will be paid for our efforts."

    He chuckles thoughtfully. "Though having seen Uma's skill with crafting a sled from scraps, I have half a mind to suggest she attach some wheels to the thing and have Bluebell pull her around like a chariot."

    GNU Terry Pratchett
    PSN: Wstfgl | GamerTag: An Evil Plan | Battle.net: FallenIdle#1970
    Hit me up on BoardGameArena! User: Loaded D1
    Spoilered until images are unborked. egc6gp2emz1v.png
  • Options
    Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    “I was hoping to attend to some other matters.”, Archie sighs, “But I can see the right of it. I volunteer to guard the cauldron. That said, I’d be glad of the company of any guards that can be spared at odd intervals. I trust your Speaker is thinking up a more permanent arrangement for the cauldron as we… converse.”

    Free bed and board while on official business from a Speaker, while able to pick up on gossip the whole time? It’s not a bad fate. Though he doesn’t have eyes in the back of his head, and only one that works in the front, Archie is sure he can handle it.

    “The rest of you can go about your business as you wish. We’ll meet again when we’re paid.”

  • Options
    ZomroZomro Registered User regular
    "If the Speaker will pay for our rooms, then we should go get rest." Thorkel suggests. "I need to speak with you all in private, anyway."

  • Options
    BursarBursar Hee Noooo! PDX areaRegistered User regular
    "It has been a very long and trying day," Esk agrees.

    GNU Terry Pratchett
    PSN: Wstfgl | GamerTag: An Evil Plan | Battle.net: FallenIdle#1970
    Hit me up on BoardGameArena! User: Loaded D1
    Spoilered until images are unborked. egc6gp2emz1v.png
  • Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    Mortilocian

    The druid's eyes drift north, their thoughts clearly on the road and what might await them at the next stop. "I suppose two days is not too long to spend in town."

  • Options
    The BraysterThe Brayster UKRegistered User regular
    edited June 6
    10pm, 17th Nightal: 1489DR

    Prudence smiles.

    "Do not fret, you will receive your payment. Speaker Waylan is honest to the point of being naive at times. If he says he will do something, he will do it. The payment is as good as yours".

    She continues to rub her hands together, and stops only to reveal and hand you a piece of paper.

    "This much I did think of ahead of time. A Promissary Note, for the White Lady Inn. The proprietor will know to charge the Speaker for your time there. Now, if you don't mind, while it is late I do unfortunately still have work to do, letters to send, and now a Cauldron to arrange a guard rotation for, if you'll excuse me"

    She lifts her cloak as she turns and heads back in to the Town Hall.

    Meanwhile, it takes you very little time to return to the inn, where you are greeted by a very welcome fire in the common area, and no other patrons to compete for space.

    The Brayster on
    Steam: TheBrayster
    PSN: TheBrayster_92
Sign In or Register to comment.