• Options
    sponospono Mining for Nose Diamonds Booger CoveRegistered User regular
    A small chunk of wood snapped off of my bed frame and cut my pinky finger

640qocnq4ske.gif
  • Options
    UrielUriel Registered User regular
    I had that therapy appointment

It only helped a tiny bit!

I still kind of feel like I can't do this much longer.

• Options
    ASimPersonASimPerson Cold... and hard.Registered User regular
    edited April 29
    smof wrote: »
    What provoked you to get that surgery? I have an overbite and I keep wondering if it's something I'm ever going to have to do anything about, or if at my age there's no point.

Generally speaking, a slight overbite is what you want and what I was corrected to. I had an underbite of about 1cm that dentists/orthodontists had suggested I get corrected since I was a teenager. I put it off for years because it didn't seem to affect me and I didn't care about the appearance. I finally had a dentist prevail upon me that if I wanted to keep all of my teeth I needed to get this fixed (my back two upper molars did not have any teeth under them, rendering them effectively useless), and she also pointed out that all of the times I'd never been able to fully bite through a sandwich or a tortilla were because my underbite prevented from being able to bite and tear.

The fact that my teeth are now straight and I'll have a pleasant, telegenic overbite are sort of bonuses in my view, but I also do care a lot more about my appearance these days so it really doesn't hurt. Well, I mean, right now it does, but that'll go away soon.

ASimPerson on
  • Options
    DidgeridooDidgeridoo Flighty Dame Registered User regular
    This thread is killing me because there’s no fist bump reaction any more

“I cut my finger” cool here’s a heart, I love that this happened to you

• Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    I got a blister on my thumb while whittlin at work. Haven't cut myself yet, but it's just a matter of time. My supervisors are gonna be real miffed if I cut myself at work since that's a bunch of paperwork they'll have to fill out heh. And they'll have to give me an ass chewing for using a knife for a non-work related purpose or something, but I don't even give a shit at this point

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    SharePoint has changed its default font when creating Word documents within it

It's just close enough to Calibri that I don't really care, certainly not enough to change it back or find the template options, but the £ looks weird and I type that a fair amount

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    edited April 30
    ASimPerson wrote: »
    smof wrote: »
    What provoked you to get that surgery? I have an overbite and I keep wondering if it's something I'm ever going to have to do anything about, or if at my age there's no point.

Generally speaking, a slight overbite is what you want and what I was corrected to. I had an underbite of about 1cm that dentists/orthodontists had suggested I get corrected since I was a teenager. I put it off for years because it didn't seem to affect me and I didn't care about the appearance. I finally had a dentist prevail upon me that if I wanted to keep all of my teeth I needed to get this fixed (my back two upper molars did not have any teeth under them, rendering them effectively useless), and she also pointed out that all of the times I'd never been able to fully bite through a sandwich or a tortilla were because my underbite prevented from being able to bite and tear.

The fact that my teeth are now straight and I'll have a pleasant, telegenic overbite are sort of bonuses in my view, but I also do care a lot more about my appearance these days so it really doesn't hurt. Well, I mean, right now it does, but that'll go away soon.

My overbite is pretty severe. It's resulted in my teeth wearing down abnormally because they line up wonky when I chew. I don't know how big a problem it is/will be though because dentists are impossible to find.

The biggest issue with it is I have one upper premolar that is super sharp because I guess it never gets abraded the way my other teeth do, and combined with my tendency to clench my jaw in my sleep means I occasionally wake up with a punctured tongue.

Bodies are so dumb.

Brovid Hasselsmof on
  • Options
    DidgeridooDidgeridoo Flighty Dame Registered User regular

[fistbump]

Anecdotally, I find that right after a therapy session I tend to feel pretty bad. I’m usually thinking things over and feeling like nothing got resolved.

Then a couple days or weeks later, THAT’S when I feel like I’m able to make a positive change or put something we talked about in therapy into practice.

Maybe you’re in the ‘chewing stuff over’ phase?

It took me a long time to realize I had to let myself cook in between sessions. Nearly quit therapy because of it. Glad I didn’t, but I have to remind myself of the stewing phase every single time.

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Blake T wrote: »
    I have started doing the 3D printing for my coffee project. The first piece needs to be reprinted as it doesn’t the electronics. I can probably resize it and reprint but it is still annoying.

I want to hear about this project as you do it. I want to try it myself someday but I think I would only do it if I somehow hit the lottery and could get a new espresso machine and just use the gaggia as a backup.

I looked at a bit of the diagrams and shit the other day and it looks really complicated and I'm sure I would screw it up ha

I think the wiring plans are a bit over complicated yes. But I also think they are a thing where once you do them it will be a lot easier than you think.

The discord they have is pretty mature and as long as you follow the rules they’re very helpful.

Anyway I reprinted the part again and it is still too small, but this time I measured all of the inside dimensions and I’m not surprised it didn’t fit because it’s too small in general. I’ll increase all the dimensions tomorrow and it should work first time.

• Options
    JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    When I was a children I had a cross bite! It's where some of your top teeth go behind your bottom teeth and some go in front. I had braces for six (6) fucking years! Even had one of those pallet spreaders where you had to put a key in there and crank it down so it would spread my gotdamn pallet wider. I think it expanded my whole skull which dislodged my brain from its protective harness and allowed it to rattle around in there and get tumbled smooth like a river stone.

My mouth was fucked up real bad.

• Options
    I miss

Teeth

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    I had braces for several years as a teen and still remember the fucking pain and now I probably need new braces and or surgery to undo the shit the braces of that quack did to my teeth and jaw

• Options
    CelloCello Registered User regular
    We could never afford braces when I was a kid, so I finally had an okay enough amount of coverage to be able to start Invisalign last January

Annoyingly because of the wait some of my teeth ground down against the others over time, so I'll still have some angles that can't be fixed (though the most fuckin, 5 degree one on my front tooth can at least be veneered)

Bit of a bummer that my family being in that low level income position has a visible impact forever, though

Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
  • Options
    MuzzmuzzMuzzmuzz Registered User regular
    Ugh, Netflix is telling me as of June, my standard 10 buck a month ad free subscription is gone, I either pay five bucks more for ad free (and improved quality and more devices), or I start paying for the four buck cheaper ad included package (that does have improved quality and more devices...but the ads...)

I'd probably start hoisting the sails, but with my kid and Mr. Muzz (the main users of Netflix) both not having the correct knowledge to pirate, (the former is a bit too young, and the latter...not a tech guy), I will probably begrudgingly switch to the ad service.

The enshitification of EVERYTHING is rampant. Mark my words, in a couple years, Amazon Prime memberships will only give you a discount on shipping.

• Options
    SirToastySirToasty Registered User regular
    Never did get braces cause of crowding or anything. Some of my front teeth are kinda crooked though. I've thought about giving some invisible braces a go but it might also make playing saxophone and clarinet weird feeling for a bit, though I think I would adjust.

• Options
    edited April 30
    I didn't know why pod coffee machines have those little baskets to grind your own coffee. Dont get me wrong I like that less an option and you can theoretically source more sustainable coffee beans and not fill a landfill full of plastic garbage but It never makes a good cup that way because of the variance in grind size and the fact that it pushes very very hot water far too quickly to get a decent extraction. It's like a turbo version of a shitty low end mister coffee type machine.

I only just now tried it because I hadn't yet. And I feel like I wasted 14g of these really nice natural processed Ethiopian beans because this cup is nearly undrinkable.

Uriel on
  • Options
    edited April 30
    SirToasty wrote: »
    Never did get braces cause of crowding or anything. Some of my front teeth are kinda crooked though. I've thought about giving some invisible braces a go but it might also make playing saxophone and clarinet weird feeling for a bit, though I think I would adjust.

I'm glad I didn't stick with my trumpet in middle school. I bet playing it without top teeth would be weird.

Would be better for annoying my upstairs neighbor though than my electric guitar I think. Trumpet only really has one volume setting. Loud AF. And I've gotten so much better at guitar the past two years that honestly I don't think my neighbor minds much.

Uriel on
  • Options
    SirToasty wrote: »

During the same time I had braces I also played clarinet/saxophone. the first few days after the braces got adjusted every month were agonising

• Options
    JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    edited April 30
    I was in constant, constant pain during those six years. I still have scar tissue on the inside of my cheeks from where they wouldn't cut the wires short enough and they would catch and pull the skin in my mouth. Also, the constant aching from having my jaw pulled into shape, boy that sure was fun.

Also, my high-school Spanish teacher would get mad at me for not rolling my R's when I literally had a metal doohickey in the cleft of my mouth and physically could not roll my tongue. I couldn't roll my R's after, either, but it was a good excuse at the time.

Weirdly enough, I learned how to do that singing along to Rammstein. Take that, Senora Williams.

Juggernut on
  • Options
    My attempt at rolling R sounds always just comes out sounding like an L

But then I needed speech therapy classes when I was in early grade school because I literally couldn't hear the difference between like, L and W at the time!

• Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    After I got my braces off I wore my retainer for a year like they told me to, and then I stopped and then all my teeth gradually shifted back to where they were before ever having braces. I should have gone back as soon as I noticed, but a mixture of "oh it probably won't shift much" combined with executive dysfunction meant I never did go even after they kept shifting. Now I'm wearing braces again and I turn 40 in a few months lol. I hate how much the wires can tear up my cheeks if they don't clip em short enough

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    My daughter is too tall for size 8 clothes and too skinny for size 10. Size 9 doesn't really exist (the brands that have it are 9/10 or the 9s fit like 8s). This is very annoying.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    edited April 30
    I had extra teeth in my jaw so before i could get braces they had to extract them. That was not fun for a 12 year old. Apparently my dad and his dad both had extra too.

webguy20 on
    Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    You stole mine! I was missing two

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    I just drank orange juice that had gone off. I only realised about half way through the glass when some juice the consistency of snot slid into my mouth.

• Options
    ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    Are you sure it's not just extra pulp?!

Heh heh!

pulp heads are gonna frickin flip about my take down of pulp

• Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    had to have four teeth pulled for braces club over here

• Options
    Didgeridoo wrote: »

[fistbump]

Anecdotally, I find that right after a therapy session I tend to feel pretty bad. I’m usually thinking things over and feeling like nothing got resolved.

Then a couple days or weeks later, THAT’S when I feel like I’m able to make a positive change or put something we talked about in therapy into practice.

Maybe you’re in the ‘chewing stuff over’ phase?

It took me a long time to realize I had to let myself cook in between sessions. Nearly quit therapy because of it. Glad I didn’t, but I have to remind myself of the stewing phase every single time.

I think part of the problem is there just isn't anything I can do about my issues, nothing to put into practice.

I'm kinda stuck. Nothing I can do about anything that makes me feel sad or lonely or anything. Just got to suck it up and bear it somehow.

Hopefully I'll only need to do it for another 30ish years tops.

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    If this stupid respiratory thing turns into another stupid ear infection I'm going to pull off my head and throw it into traffic.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    my teeth would be wicked fucked up if my mom hadn't brought me to a very... experimental pedodontist.

he was like "his baby teeth are all bunched and are gonna fuck up his adult teeth, unless we pull like 6 of his baby teeth right now."

everyone said it was medical torture, but now my teeth are perfect ivory tombstones, so he was vindicated.

• Options
    Lost CanuckLost Canuck World's Greatest Escape Artist Doctor Vundabar's Murder MachineRegistered User regular
    Juggernut wrote: »
    I was in constant, constant pain during those six years. I still have scar tissue on the inside of my cheeks from where they wouldn't cut the wires short enough and they would catch and pull the skin in my mouth. Also, the constant aching from having my jaw pulled into shape, boy that sure was fun.

Also, my high-school Spanish teacher would get mad at me for not rolling my R's when I literally had a metal doohickey in the cleft of my mouth and physically could not roll my tongue. I couldn't roll my R's after, either, but it was a good excuse at the time.

Weirdly enough, I learned how to do that singing along to Rammstein. Take that, Senora Williams.

I hated wearing my pallet expander when I was in first grade. I begged my mom to let me smash it with a hammer when I was done but she said she paid too much for it to let me wreck it.

QYW8SHm.jpg
    Nintendo Switch friend code: SW-4012-4821-3053
  • Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    my teeth would be wicked fucked up if my mom hadn't brought me to a very... experimental pedodontist.

he was like "his baby teeth are all bunched and are gonna fuck up his adult teeth, unless we pull like 6 of his baby teeth right now."

everyone said it was medical torture, but now my teeth are perfect ivory tombstones, so he was vindicated.

This is pretty common now, he was just ahead of his time. My daughter's teeth are coming up angled behind her baby teeth, like a shark. This is going to not only fail to displace the baby tooth root (and so it won't fall out), but also damage the adult tooth at it scrapes against the baby teeth.

So she's gonna get quite a few teeth extracted.

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular

Unless your teeth would have been fine anyway and he owed a bad debt to the local fairy mafia.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    My electric toothbrush broke. It worked yesterday, but now it's not turning on and it's not charging.

• Options
    Electric toothbrushes can't really break

They just become manual brushes

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    I had braces as a kid and retainer after. Up until the day I "lost" the retainer in the trash after lunch while we were out because I hated that thing with an intensity I've not felt ever since.

My teeth did shift some afterwards, definitely don't have a "beautiful smile" or anything, but it's not like I smile anyway, plus I don't need to look attractive and I can eat just fine so meh.

• Options
    My top denture is so uncomfortable I basically can't wear it

It cost... Like a cheap used car?

Oh if I wanted a good pair that clicks into implants so I could actually stand to use it because it wouldn't be rubbing the roof of my mouth?

That is basically a new car worth of money

• Options
    ASimPersonASimPerson Cold... and hard.Registered User regular
    In positive news, I got the bands and stuff taken off today, so for the first time in 10 days I can talk and drink water normally! It's going to be another few weeks before I can eat normally again though.

• Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    edited May 1
    Electric toothbrushes can't really break

They just become manual brushes

Don’t even try to be like I didn’t get that toothbrush.

I got the documentation right here.

sarukun on
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    edited May 1
    Woke up from an impromptu "nap" to see a decently sized insect on the wall next to me. It was kind of dark-ish so I didn't get a good look, but it seemed to have ridged hind legs and three "hairs" on its rear. Didn't look like a cockroach at least, or any kind of beetle, so I trapped and tossed it outside.

Now I'm wondering what it actually was. I had no way to get a good look without it escaping and that's not something my unhappy legs (they were dangling off the bed during the "nap") were willing to chase.

Madican on