Options

Penny Arcade - Comic - A Very Particular Set of Skills

DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin

A Very Particular Set of Skills!

Penny Arcade - Comic - A Very Particular Set of Skills

Videogaming-related online strip by Mike Krahulik and Jerry Holkins. Includes news and commentary.

Read the full story here

• Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular
    Pretty much what I assumed, yes.

• Options
    OverkillengineOverkillengine Registered User regular
    I mean, the difference between a live shitpost and one from archived training data would just be a timestamp, really.

• Options
    DjiemDjiem Registered User regular
    Say it with me

Enshittification

• Options
    GrendusGrendus Registered User regular
    I have no problem with Google using their AI to answer questions. That's basically what they've been doing this entire time with their search engine, it just gave you links instead of summarizing them.

I hate that it's on by default and shows up before the actual answers. This is content that should be on a sidebar or something.

• Options
    dennisdennis aka bingley Registered User regular
    Grendus wrote: »
    I have no problem with Google using their AI to answer questions. That's basically what they've been doing this entire time with their search engine, it just gave you links instead of summarizing them.

I think you're glossing over some pretty fundamental differences. In a perfect world, there would be no difference (other than google completely funneling other people's work into their moneymaker and completely obscuring them.) We don't live in that world. These LLMs are terrible at knowledge. They are made to sound right, not actually be right.
    I hate that it's on by default and shows up before the actual answers. This is content that should be on a sidebar or something.

You can get around it. For now.

• Options
    tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    It really sucks (more) for the legit sites that actually produce the answers it's pulling from, but search engines have been pulling traffic away and making it so you don't have leave them forever now. If only there was some kind of
    regulatory organizations capable of.... regulating these things. :V

I haven't run into this with Google, but Bing has been giving me the AI digest results before weighted results. Does the Google AI response do a fake chat thing too?

“I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • Options
    dennisdennis aka bingley Registered User regular
    edited May 28
    Yes. They just turned it on when Google I/O kicked off.

It's pretty spotty on which thing it thinks it knows well enough to summarize, in my experience. But then I changed my search shortcuts to turn it off so I don't know beyond that.

dennis on