Options

[Knave] [IC] Hold Your Horses

24

Posts

  • Options
    Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    edited June 3
    You push with all your might, toppling the boulder down the hill, which to your surprise keeps up incredible speed, even bouncing twice before slamming into the ground before a hidden beast (3)!

    It turns and bolts!

    Water-wolf 3 will retreat on its turn. No longer a problem.

    Single Morale Save:
    2d6 11 [2d6=5, 6]

    Endless_Serpents on
  • Options
    discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    And now Jenna is going to be trying to get back to the group as fast as she can.

  • Options
    Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    It’s late on my half of the world, so quick note for Bunny: You’re a bit too far away for melee, but spears can be thrown that far easily. If you want to try some crazy trick instead though, go for it!

  • Options
    Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    u14ubr1j10b6.jpeg

  • Options
    Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    Irina stumbled for a second, surprised at the sudden violence. Still, she'd done her stint as a guard and enough hunting to not be a virgin to violence. She put herself, her shield and spear between Henn and the beast and braced to break the hide on her iron tip.

    Geth Roll 1d20+2

    1d20+2 13 [1d20=11]

  • Options
    Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    edited June 5
    Water-Wolves

    The northmost beast scrambles to turn on its short legs and retreats from the boulder. So frightened it intends to leave its pack behind. You all lose sight of it within seconds.



    Irina! A beast (4) bursts forth, snapping reeds and sending seeds up into the air! But you’re ready—

    When you play a game with few rules, making stuff up is the norm, so… Let’s make your roll the target for its own save. It wants to get around you and carry off the old dear.

    The beast slams into your shield, and briefly tries to overcome you, but you throw it back! You have Advantage on your next turn, whatever you do.



    Undeterred or unaware of the fates of those around it, the beast (1) Phil first disturbed grips his leg in its terrible jaws! Phil, the weight of it pulls you down, it looks like it hopes to drag you to the water! 6 damage!



    Those furthest away charge for Phil, bolstered by the action of what must be the pack leader!

    fsgyrsa058lg.jpeg

    Dodge:
    1d20+1 8 [1d20=7]
    Attack:
    1d20+3 12 [1d20=9]
    Damage:
    1d6 6 [1d6=6]

    Endless_Serpents on
  • Options
    Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    Party first, then the remaining water-wolves. Morale rules in effect, so I’ll roll to see if they leg it if you kill another.

  • Options
    El SkidEl Skid The frozen white northRegistered User regular
    edited June 5
    Crying out in pain Phil frantically reaches into his pack…

    Phil is hoping you guys can rescue him or scare the wolves away before taking he takes his turn

    El Skid on
  • Options
    joshgotrojoshgotro Deviled Egg The Land of REAL CHILIRegistered User regular
    Phil's cry focuses Malosi. His arm slides around Phil's midsection, "keep that leg still eh?"

    Malosi will pull Phil and the water-wolf further away from the water until someone comes to smack the beast. Or attempt to cut without giving Phil a stump.

  • Options
    Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    edited June 5
    Hm! Guess I’ll call that a save vs Malosi’s Strength.

    Malosi! You pull so hard you rip Phil free of the beast entirely.

    Phil! You lose your footwear and are bleeding all over the place! You didn’t know you had so much blood!

    The water-wolf’s damage is reduced to d4. It has fewer teeth now.

    Save:
    1d20+3 5 [1d20=2]

    Endless_Serpents on
  • Options
    discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    As Jenna charges towards the battle, she yells,
    'YyYYAAAARRRRRRR..'
    She trails off. The distance is not quite that close, and she needs the air for running and breathing.

    Mid-stride, she realises she is still holding the chalk.
    Without slowing down, she attempts to hock it at the pack leader.

    Geth roll 1d20+1 for throwing a rock

    throwing a rock:
    1d20+1 13 [1d20=12]

  • Options
    Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    A momentary distraction, but the leader’s large head flicks in your direction!

  • Options
    Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    edited June 6
    Henn runs towards danger! Her arms are deep in her medicine bag.

    Kap has another go! This time he over shoots.

    Shoot:
    1d20+1 11 [1d20=10]
    Score:
    1d4 1 [1d4=1]

    Endless_Serpents on
  • Options
    El SkidEl Skid The frozen white northRegistered User regular
    Phil decides that if he completely ignores his leg he might be able to not faint. So he grabs a bolt and reloads his crossbow quickly. Aiming at the now-less-toothed wolf he lets an arrow fly!

    Geth roll 1d20+5 for crossbow attack
    Geth roll 1d8 for damage

    crossbow attack:
    1d20+5 18 [1d20=13]
    damage:
    1d8 3 [1d8=3]

  • Options
    Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    Phil Wolf-Slayer

    The beast opens is long jaws and—you shoot through the roof of its mouth and instantly kill it. It slumps softly to the ground.

    Geth roll 2d6 for Morale

    Morale:
    2d6 6 [2d6=3, 3]

  • Options
    Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    edited June 6
    Combat Complete

    The remaining beasts turn tail and vanish into the long grass unceremoniously. You’re obviously not food, and with their leader dead along with two others, fighting to the death is a foolish notion. Their frantic paws can be heard overturning reeds for some time as you catch your breath; they’re not planning an ambush. They’ll probably run until they hit another lake, however long that will be.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rgUksX6eM0Y

    Everyone earns a big fat 200 experience for their first fight!



    Irina

    Your ears pound with your own beating heart, but your foe has fled.

    Keep your Advantage to your next roll!



    Malosi

    First big kill! That’s gotta be a sign of… something. Something important!



    Phil

    There’s still that pheasant, all yours.

    1 slot, a ration, basically.

    You don’t notice Henn wrapping a bandage around your leg until she’s almost done. You’re sweating buckets.



    Jenna

    Well. You can pick your chalk back up now.

    As you stand panting from your run, you’re grateful at least that the breeze, now heading south-east, has returned.

    Endless_Serpents on
  • Options
    Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    edited June 6
    Cooking Mechanic!!!

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JBsaYAHPJII&list=PLb2WIV_ej2RhrxPr-SwMrwXzBWojOebnz&index=10

    Now we’re at the first major thingy of this otherwise very simple game. I’ll drop the italics for a sec:

    Every day, you’ll need 1 ration to get by. If you go without, that’ll be -2 to your rolls, then -4 etc.

    But that’s no biggie. You’re people who know how to hunt, fish and forage.

    The real meat of gathering food is in cooking! When you find two significant ingredients in a large enough quantity for everyone present, tell me what effect you think it will grant until the next dawn. Whoever is doing the cooking, make a Wisdom saving throw and we’ll determine the result together:
    1-5, it’s poisonous and has no beneficial effect. You can’t cook these ingredients together again.
    6-10, it’s simply food of no special note. Try again another day.
    11-15, it has a lesser effect or shorter duration. This meal will always have this effect.
    16-20, it’s exactly as you say! This meal will always have this effect, no roll required.

    So you might want to hang onto some water wolf cuts to go with your pheasant…

    Endless_Serpents on
  • Options
    El SkidEl Skid The frozen white northRegistered User regular
    Now that the danger has passed Phil looks at his leg and gives off a wail.

    “Ahhh it’s still bleeding!! Someone do something!!” And with that he faints, slumping somewhat sideways in a way that conveniently avoid knocking his head on a sharp rock.

  • Options
    Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    edited June 6
    Everyone

    It has become clear you’re going to need to make a sled to pull Phil around, at least until tomorrow. You know what he’s like at the best of times.

    I got a silly mechanic for crafting too, but I don’t think you’ll need to roll for this. Just a good thunk.

    You could carry him actually. What’s Phil weigh? 6 slots.

    Please do not question the quantum mechanics of how heavy a person is if that person is also carrying things.

    Endless_Serpents on
  • Options
    discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    edited June 7
    El Skid wrote: »
    Now that the danger has passed Phil looks at his leg and gives off a wail.

    “Ahhh it’s still bleeding!! Someone do something!!” And with that he faints, slumping somewhat sideways in a way that conveniently avoid knocking his head on a sharp rock.

    Jenna briefly considers putting her sack over Phil's head.
    But he probably still needs to breathe.

    The wailing continues.
    Or does he..

    discrider on
  • Options
    discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    Have we got any wood nearby for a sled? Jenna's all for making one, if we have materials.

    Otherwise I guess there's the altar in the lake that we might want to look at.

  • Options
    Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    I’m in the world’s loudest bar so I’ll get back to you tomorrow. 50 weekend experience!!

  • Options
    Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    edited June 8
    Jenna

    Many of the reeds and grasses here are tall enough and sturdy enough that they could be used to tie things together, in fact, you could probably make a sled entirely out of them—but that’ll take until sunset. It might be simpler to tie him to Irena’s shield and pull him by the chain owned by Malosi. Carrying him in your back is a possibly.

    You tell me and I’ll roll with it.



    Everyone

    As you recover yourselves, Kap tries his hand at butchery. Maybe next time one of you should… his way is… messy. He will carry 3 piles of meat (ration, 3 slots), 1 pelt (1 slot) and a bunch of teeth and bones to make into trinkets some day (1 slot). He’s almost encumbered, but seems extremely pleased as he wobbles off towards the lake.

    “Come on! Up the cliff or more north? We need to find a good place to make a shelter!”

    It is now evening. The sky is clear, still bright, and the half-moon has made an appearance already.

    I’ll push this show forward in a bit. Thanks for sticking with a slow game.

    Endless_Serpents on
  • Options
    discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    While Kap is.. chopping, Jenna picks up a discarded lump of water-wolf and chucks it into the lake.
    The immediate danger is gone, but Jenna would rather not have to deal with anything else jumping out while she tries to swim to the altar.

    Jenna wants to investigate the altar before moving off, while the water-wolves are out of the picture.
    And she'd rather not swim out with Phil on her back.

  • Options
    Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    edited June 10
    Jenna

    Nothing comes up to eat the meat as it falls. You begin to think this lake is transitory, that this part of the island must see extremely heavy rain at times, but then things dry up for a spell after. You might be at the start of a dry few weeks right now. The beasts might have acted so rashly because the remaining lakes are in limited supply—trying to get friendly with them right now is off the cards, if you see other ones, they’ll be just as fierce.

    So, no humongous fish or giant killer toads in the lake. Thats a bonus. Mostly you see the occasional patch of flies glittering green in the evening air. A long legged bug skims the surfacing, escaping the ripples of the thrown meat.

    From where you’re at you see several skeletons surrounding the submerged altar. Less shocking than you’d think. They seem plain, stripped clean and overgrown with algae. Half of them are taller than any man you’ve met, the rest are about your height. Faint strands of clothing float about their hips—somehow you know they’re the traditional clothing of your people. Rusty weapons are mostly covered by silt some distance from them, drawn away by decades of rains. None of the bodies are positioned as if they were mid-fight with the other kind. One item in particular catches your eye, a clay little potato looking thing on silver chain, barely hanging on to a clenched boney hand. It’s all strange and forlorn.

    The altar itself is fully submerged in mud several feet below the surface. There’s nothing on the altar. You feel it isn’t supposed to be that way. It’s designed to hold something on a plinth.

    You’re sure the skeletons lost a fight right here, long before you were born.

    Beyond this the lake becomes murky, but seems to hold nothing else until it hits the white of the chalk cliff.

    Endless_Serpents on
  • Options
    discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    edited June 10
    Ditching her sandals and throwing them around her neck, Jenna wades out to the skeletons.
    As she nears the bones, she readies her sword, a little wary of skeletons that can keep themselves upright for so long.
    When the nearest one is within reach, she pokes at its leg, to see if it topples.

    As she pauses, she spies the chain, before looking to head towards it.

    looking back, I may have misunderstood how deep the lake is, and how the skeletons are positioned (standing, out of the water)

    discrider on
  • Options
    Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    edited June 10
    It’s significantly cooler so I’ll allow it.

    As you bat at the leg while maintaining your swim, the skeleton tumbles down softly, handfuls of tiny bubbles drifting to the surface.

    k9jqtrrz73or.jpeg

    On the end of the chain is an instrument. You may be familiar with it. It must be the draw to your own strokes through the water, but it looks to be moving towards you under its own power as you reach out for it.

    q7u94scdito7.png

    You’ve got plenty of Strength and Constitution, so I say that’s reasonable to have you dive this deep and grab stuff. How about… 4 posts before you need to surface since you got +4 Con. But you’ve done one, so you got 3 posts to ask questions about what you can see, or 3 to grab things, or a mix of both. For keeping the game going reasons you won’t wait 30 minutes and go again, I guess?

    Endless_Serpents on
  • Options
    discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    Jenna reaches out and yanks the chain out of the skeleton's death grip, before wrapping it securely around her own arm.
    The old ocarina is surprisingly buoyant, and she doesn't trust that the thing won't slip right out of her pack in a pinch.

    With the instrument secured, Jenna goes to inspect the altar more closely.
    She presumes it wasn't always underwater, and if the water-wolves didn't escape from it, then what did?

  • Options
    Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    edited June 11
    Jenna

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cR_g3iNvSpw

    You have acquired an Arcane Instrument—this one is an ocarina (1 slot, 2 hands, 5 quality). Legends speak of music that could reach the heart of the island and request its aid. But only the greatest among your ancestors could harness such magic. The weak would fail in the attempt, unable to channel such power. Could you?

    You can’t tell what the altar once held. Clearly something was taken long ago, but you can’t say if it was saved and rushed off elsewhere or stolen by… whoever. Demons brought ruin to this island, if you believe the stories.

    Inspecting the altar closely you see long weathered symbols repeated across its surface. A shape … arrows… another shape. Ah! A melody!

    You have learned the Song of Hills! This spell is cast by playing the tune on an Arcane Instrument. Each time you cast the spell you lose hit points equal to its magnitude. The spell has 3 magnitudes by default:
    - You can shift a small circle of earth you can see up or down, creating a shallow dome or dip.
    - You can carefully shape the earth into a crude structure, such as making a bridge over a gap or filling in a broken wall.
    - You can throw yourself skywards by lifting a pillar beneath your feet suddenly.
    …but if you can think of something within this spell’s domain, I’ll offer you the cost before you cast it!

    Endless_Serpents on
  • Options
    joshgotrojoshgotro Deviled Egg The Land of REAL CHILIRegistered User regular
    "ETE BE! What's that water have for little Malosi eh?"

    Looking back and forth between the water and Kap, nervously, "we got time right boss?

    [slo-mo shot of Malosi running toward the water and diving in]

  • Options
    discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    edited June 12
    Fei being of course short for Feifong.
    I didn't want to directly rip the name.

    ....
    And it's Beifong not Feifong
    :(

    discrider on
  • Options
    El SkidEl Skid The frozen white northRegistered User regular
    Phil sits in his new sled and looks to Kap. "Oh hey, looks like they're having a swim! Let's go over and see what's up, hmm?" He then touches his leg gently and recoils in pain. "owwww" he says to noone in particular.

  • Options
    discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    edited June 12
    I don't know if anyone is building that sled, Phil.
    Jenna was just planning on carrying him.

    I guess we can make one when we come back to shore?

    discrider on
  • Options
    discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    ....
    Jenna blinks and makes a mental note of the song.
    She's not played an ocarina before but perhaps..

    Looking around, she keeps an eye out for any water-wolves that might be creeping up on her, before heading over to the pile of rusted weapons.
    If the thing that was in the plinth stayed around these skeletons, then it would have drifted there.
    Surely?

    Jenna is going to check out the pile of weapons and then surface after grabbing anything of import. Or she'll surface if threatened before getting there.

  • Options
    Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    edited June 12
    Malosi

    You break the surface and note your ally by the altar. A little further down you spy discarded weapons, most ordinary, but some are not designed in the style of your people or the mainland you were raised on. They must be weapons of invaders spoken of in tales of old. Not in good condition, as you’d expect.

    Not much else. You could do funeral rights for the skeletons, but not even you could repeatedly dive and collect them all. You’d mix them up anyhow. Maybe if the lake recedes in summer? Spring has only just started.

    For fun, roll me a Wisdom save for spying the best weapon; you tell me what kind of weapon. 15 or more and you’ll find it in no time, but fail and you’ll be so deep you’ll have to surface and forget it. Or, simply pick up a regular spear.



    Jenna

    You’re about at your limit. In reach you’ve got two choices:

    Northern Blade
    56ssdk1umri8.jpeg
    2 slots, 2 hands, 2 quality, 1d8 damage
    Proof that others arrived on the island from the north. This curved blade is unlike those you’ve seen before.

    When you kill a creature with this blade you can move 10 feet beyond their falling corpse, even if you’ve already moved 40 feet this turn.

    OR

    Islander Impaler
    8usgozq2aaiw.jpeg
    1 slot, 1 hand, 2 quality, 1d4 damage
    Carved from rare and treated wood, embedded with shark teeth. A weapon of your ancestors.

    When your attack roll matches the target’s AC it is reduced by 3.


    As you pull one up you’ll cause a cloud of dirt to swirl up and the other weapon will drift off into the dark of the depths.



    Phil

    You are saddened to find you’re not on a sled being drawn by white ponies, but are in fact sat on a sloped stone with your feet in a muddy puddle. You blink back to reality with the throb of your scabbing leg. You look to the sky and see a distant flock of geese heading east. They’re in a shallow angled descent. At least you know eastward has more fresh water and enough relative safety that animals wish to go there. Maybe all that talk of demons was only legend. Maybe your ancestors just ran away from a short lived invasion and now you can take the island back unimpeded?

    Endless_Serpents on
  • Options
    Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    Meanwhile

    Henn frets over Phil, shoving some herbs into his mouth while saying a medical prayer. Kap’s got itching feet.

    “Up and over I say. It’s not the tallest cliff I’ve seen. Not at all. Reckon I could climb it, so they can. I swear my papa’s papa said there were villages out that way once over.”

    He follows the shoreline until he reaches the chalk cliff on dry land. He tests a hand-hold…

  • Options
    Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    edited June 12
    Kap jus’ fuckin’ climbs up the cliff no problem. He scrambles over the lip, fists ripping up yellow flowers, then puts his hands on his hips and assesses the land.

    “See!”, he shouts back to Henn.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5nVrdLbxVOg

    Climb:
    1d20+1 18 [1d20=17]

    Endless_Serpents on
  • Options
    joshgotrojoshgotro Deviled Egg The Land of REAL CHILIRegistered User regular
    Geth roll 1d20+3 for ornate leiomano (halberd)

    ornate leiomano (halberd):
    1d20+3 21 [1d20=18]

  • Options
    Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    edited June 12
    Malosi

    In the deep of the lake, where the water is cold and dark, you pull from the silt an ornate leiomano (3 slots, 2 hands, 2 quality, 1d10 damage). It menaces with tiger shark teeth and still has traces of triangular patterns over it, signifying the scales of dragons. At one point it had many black feathers close to the business end, but only one remains, thin and weary.

    I can’t find any art or decent photos, but for the record it’s a big spiky spear in this case. Same style as the Island Impaler.

    Endless_Serpents on
  • Options
    Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    Time to come up for air.

Sign In or Register to comment.