Options

[Knave] [IC] Hold Your Horses

13

Posts

  • Options
    Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    edited June 12
    Everyone

    With Kap already ahead, the path is chosen.

    nw7u47jkefjd.jpeg

    Someone give me a Strength save for getting up there (target 15). After that, a clever use of rope etc. can get everyone else up… though Phil will have to be tied around the waist and hoisted up!

    Endless_Serpents on
  • Options
    joshgotrojoshgotro Deviled Egg The Land of REAL CHILIRegistered User regular
    54oftso2y3ib.jpg

  • Options
    joshgotrojoshgotro Deviled Egg The Land of REAL CHILIRegistered User regular
    Geth roll 1d20+6 for brawn

    brawn:
    1d20+6 17 [1d20=11]

  • Options
    Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    Malosi

    You follow Kap’s path and are happy to find many spots to grab and jam your foot in. You’re up in a couple minutes.

    At the top you see dried reeds and long grasses close at hand, but these quickly fade out into wild flowers across a downward sloping landscape. Easy ground to cover. No sign of a village ruin. There are thin beech trees dotting the view however, white with knots like vertical eyes. Holy, haunted or just a coincidence of nature?

    To your right, some distance away, you see a few shattered pieces of hewn stone. By the patterns carved into it, it appears to be none other than a section of the altar. But, it wouldn’t match up with what you saw like a jigsaw piece. No, it’s like the bottom corner of a building… the altar was at the top of a structure. It must have sunk into the earth, perhaps even before the lake formed. Which means… this cliff was lifted upwards after the structure was built!

    dgs9c4d5aniz.png

    You hear a little yap. A tanuki sniffs the air a few yards away before turning towards you. She blinks. After a beat she hops away through the flowers. Tanuki eat everything from berries to herbs to rodents, so you could forage if you need to. But you do?

    Night may fall all too swiftly, the sky above is already a deeper blue, the moon in full sight. You’ll need a camp, something semi-permanent if you can. Might need to split up to get it made in time.

    More pressingly, you have allies to help ascend.

    What do you do?

  • Options
    discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    Jenna

    As Jenna starts to feel the alerting burn in her lungs, she quickly grasps the hilt of the buried Northern Blade.
    The thing slides out of the silt effortlessly.
    But the sudden loss of structural integrity flushes the rest of the mud, and weapons, down towards the ocean.

    Jenna gasps as she breaches the surface.
    After a couple of strokes getting her breath, she hastily pulls back towards the shore.
    The water wolves are likely still licking their wounds, but she doesn't want to risk being in the water when they return.

    She wanders over to the others.

    She glances at Phil, and then the chalk cliffs.
    "You're not really up to climbing, hey"
    She rotates the ocarina around in her hands, before blowing out clean the water and muck still lodged inside.
    She'd heard of these things before, and maybe..

    There is a soft whistling sound as Jenna quickly flourishes through the range of notes the instrument can play.
    And then slowly, steadily, she tries to pick out the notes of the Hills.

    Jenna is attempting to create a ramp in the chalk cliff, to allow everyone to pass unaided.
    Likely by dropping the top of the cliff off into a pile of scree at the bottom, but ideally it would be more functional.
    She figures the best time to figure this out is when they're not harassed, and that others will be following them anyway.

  • Options
    Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    @discrider That’ll cost -2 hit points to cast. It’s not physical harm, just a bit of fatigue as the island channels its power through your spirit! If you’re happy with that, take the damage and describe the results. It’ll be loud.

  • Options
    Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    Irina

    As Jenna begins to play, Henn steps over to you with an uncharacteristicly bashful look on her wrinkled face.

    She clears her throat, then asks, “While we’re out of earshot of the others, can I ask you when did your… change, let’s call it, begin?”

    “They say the island’s greatest temple stands directly north of here. One of our people’s greatest architectural achievements—it is built between to waterfalls, and that present cleanses the waters before it. Worth a look soon, perhaps?”

    Is your curse harming you, or part of you now? If the later, maybe you want to tap into it further instead?
    @Albino Bunny
    Jus’ didn’t wanna leave you out.

  • Options
    Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    Irina shrugged "Well, was a wee lass with wee feathers, now I'm bigger and they keep me warm at night," she says matter of factly. The way she was different wasn't something she tended to dwell on. If anything she kept away from thinking too hard on it. It was just her, no more, no less.

    "Now momma Henn, want some help from the young chick?" she joked, taking Henn's arm to help her proceed.
    In general I was just going for being spirit touched being a little weird curse. Though there's no reason Irina can't be entirely wrong and it's something to be tapped into

  • Options
    discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    Jenna

    At first, nothing happens, as the notes fall flat, and Jenna's fingers stutter across the unfamiliar landscape.
    Getting some bemused looks from the people at the top of the cliff, Jenna waves them off.
    "You all might want to stand back from the edge"

    She starts again.

    This time, the melody sounds better.
    Deeper.
    As she plays, she feels the gravity of the song, and the later notes just become that much easier to play, as her fingers fall naturally into place.
    She can feel the soil and the earth, as the island starts opening up to her.
    She can see the chalk rising out of the ground. Not as an obstruction, but more as an injury laid bare.
    She concentrates, and probes the spot.
    Slowly knitting the two sides together.


    There is a low rumbling, that starts off slow and grows louder as the song progresses.
    "Ete Be!" shouts Malosi, as he swiftly backs off with Kap.
    The cliff edge crumbles.
    A trickle, but then a flood of chalk rushes from the cliff.
    The large boulders thundering down, with the many smaller chunks flowing after.
    Before long a roughly semicircular impression in the cliffside is met by the domed pile of excavated rubble.


    Jenna sweats, as her fingers finish stitching the land together.
    It's a rough suture, and she blows on it to smooth it out.
    Unsatisfied, she gets to straightening the stitches.
    As she works further down, it gets harder and harder to concentrate.
    Struggling, she finishes her work.
    It's imperfect; the injury is still there.
    But it's patched..


    Exhausted, Jenna's hands leave the instrument.
    The rubble had stopped moving minutes ago, and now formed one conglomerate mass at the base of the cliffs.
    Rough parallel steps of mismatched size have been flattened into the top and bottom alike.
    And Jenna, discovered she was now foot deep in the mud.

  • Options
    Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    Everyone

    Henn goes to speak, a kind look on her face—BOOM!

    Hundreds of birds take flight within a five mile radius. They’re so loud! Imagine what it must look like from above!

    You’re free to move up the steps and set up camp for the night up there, where the land is drier and you have the advantage of better view of the horizon. I got silly crafting rules to come, but just describe what you set up. There’s everything you could want to build a temporary home and campfire.

    Geth roll 1d6 for Random Encounter

    Random Encounter:
    1d6 5 [1d6=5]

  • Options
    Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    edited June 14
    Malosi & Kap

    Note: the Spirit of this hex is voiced by the late great Gilbert Gottfried.

    “Eeehhhhh!”, an angry, shrieking voice begins, “What’s with all the noise? Do you know what time it is? It’s whatever time, and I like sleeping! Who do you think you are? Disturbing the great and mighty spirit, guardian of…”

    You see a little clawed finger gesture all around from the undergrowth.

    “You know, here. I guess. Not that anyone leaves me tribute any more! My shrine is overgrown! The little statuettes by the door got stolen ages ago too. The point is! I should be sleeping!”

    “Gonna have to destroy you!”, you see a thick nose pop up between flowers, a little closer to you now, “That’s just how it goes.”

    It is a small, talking bear—no—spirit. A genuine spirit. Though its grating voice is displeased, the spirit isn’t outright hostile.

    q0rk3gluwmqn.jpeg

    It seems… smaller than it should be. It’s a third your height, Malosi.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9fAwnyBD5lw

    Geth roll 2d6 for Reaction

    Reaction:
    2d6 7 [2d6=5, 2]

    Endless_Serpents on
  • Options
    Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    edited June 14
    Everyone Else

    Drawn in by the sudden flight of birds, a truly huge eagle darts overhead, entirely silhouette against the evening sky. It took off with a bird in each talon and is gone just as suddenly. So the island has birds bigger than warriors.

    Someone gimmi a Wisdom save, target 15, to pick out more detail. Roll 5 or less and you’re scared as Hell though.

    Geth roll 1d6 for Random Encounter

    Random Encounter:
    1d6 1 [1d6=1]

    Endless_Serpents on
  • Options
    Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    edited June 14
    Geth roll 1d20+4 for fucking with birds.

    Irina gulped a little at the huge flight of birds, it seemed annoyingly ominous given the current conversation. The sound was enough to spook her into hugging herself and Henn under tree cover for a second before she relaxed.

    "So uh, shall we make camp? I'm sure I can find us some cover and whatever,"

    fucking with birds:
    1d20+4 12 [1d20=8]

    Albino Bunny on
  • Options
    Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    Irina

    Your brief glimpse didn’t reveal much to you. Damn big bird, but they had the right number of legs and wings, so not exactly a monster. You’re a bit shook up, but you compose yourself in short order.

    Henn nods furiously at the idea of camp.

    “I have an old woven sheet on me, gonna cut it up for bandages and things at some point. For now though, we could use it in the camp.”, she smiles, “I’ll leave the how up to you lot. I now Kap made all kinds of dens when he was younger, practise for our return, he’d say. Think he just liked being in the wilds. Mainlanders were even ruder back then…”

    She brightens, “Let’s head up to higher ground!”

  • Options
    Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    @El Skid You seem to think yourself nobility, perhaps you should be the one to get in good with this area’s spirit? Perhaps tell it your ancestors held power here and you’re looking for your keep? We can assume you’ve been carried up by the time you next post.

  • Options
    El SkidEl Skid The frozen white northRegistered User regular
    Phil rises unsteadily to his feet and regards the strange bear spirit with concern. He draws a deep breath and seems to grow larger, losing some of the petulance he had been exhibiting

    “I am Philip the eighth, and my family was once the stewards of much of the lands a bit farther inland. Our people were prosperous and happy, and now I have returned to reassert my family’s control over the creatures and land, and I am happy to meet you, spirit, as the representative of those creatures. “

    He then seems to snap out of whatever confidence he had tapped into and deflates back to normal size. He looks at the spirit in apprehension and gives the spirit a little wave.

    “So… Hi I guess?”

  • Options
    Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    edited June 15
    Phil

    The spirit has been raised from unsure to… talkative; he’s not against you, at least.

    “Oh well isn’t that a gilded spoon of a statement.”, the spirit puts his paws together and bats his eyes, “If I’d known I would have laid out a feast of fresh fruit at my shrine—Oh wait I can’t because a demon is sitting on my idol right now while you stand there with a gormless look in your eyes!”

    The spirit visibly shrinks a couple inches.

    “Alright alright you’ve twisted my arm! I can see you’ve got a noble aura. You must be Phil’s kid. Sure! You got map or were you hoping the sign posts were still standing?”

    The spirit takes a look at your map and makes some notes.

    b71z17gji0xh.jpeg


    First, he calls where you are right now The Overlook, and this entire sloped land of meadows as Tan Tan Valley. He continues in his own aggravated way, marking your ancestral home. Fort Rider. So it’s true! Next he makes it extremely clear where his shrine is. The Bear Shrine is overgrown, unvisited by man for a century, and currently occupied by a demon. The spirit doesn’t know much about it, just that he’s stuck in a limited boundary while it sits on his idol. Besides that he thinks there’s a castle and a temple around here somewhere, a day or so away in some direction or other.

    You’ll not find any of these landmarks with the time you have left before nightfall.

    “Now I’m not trying to put ideas in your head, o’ related to someone that was important once. But you should sort my shrine out, that’s what a steward does! Naturally, one eighth lord, you might have other ideas. There’s never a shortage of bad ones, after all.”

    He scratches his behind.

    “So, come on, just like the old days, hit me with a dumb question and I’ll provide my infinite wisdom.”

    Question time, one each is traditional. Even though the spirit talks big, he clearly needs your aid.

    Endless_Serpents on
  • Options
    El SkidEl Skid The frozen white northRegistered User regular
    Phil looks at the spirit, his eyes a bit wider then usual.., privately shocked it didn’t try to eat him.

    “”Errr how would someone defeat a demon… just hit it until it stops moving, or is there more to it?”

  • Options
    Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    Phil

    The spirit softly rolls onto its back in mock surprise, “Now that’s a good question! I underestimated you! Demons need an anchor to stay in this world. They can be pretty complex things, but in this case I’m pretty sure it’s tied to this world by a ruby. It’s a lowly one, so with no one to guard the ruby for it, it keeps the ruby close at hand… but it is the strongest of the lowest! Otherwise it couldn’t have taken over my shrine, you know?”

    “Beating it to a pulp is required as well as smashing the ruby. Do that, and I can get back in business.”, the spirit pauses, thinking something over, “I got a bunch of longer names, but you call me Digging Bear. Bear for short. Nice to meet ya kid.”

  • Options
    discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    Jenna

    Jenna regains her breath as Phil talks.
    The song really sucked the wind out of her, and then she went and carried this lug up the stairs.
    Not to mention the mud now chafing between her toes.

    "I'm sorry for the imposition, Digging Bear. We didn't know what a din there would be until we did it.
    Although, it looks like someone.. broke the land here before."
    She shakes her head, curious, but there are more important questions.

    "Still, the wolves have left our..", she struggles for a word that's not prince, "ambassador worse for wear.
    Would there be a secure place nearby that we can make camp and recover?
    It will be easier for us to root out demons in the daylight."

    Jenna doesn't have enough inventory for the 2h sword and Phil.
    So I guess she ditches Phil at the nearest convenience will have had someone else take the sword up the stairs.
    And then works on a sled when she can.

  • Options
    Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    edited June 17
    Jenna

    Digging Bear becomes more amiable with every passing moment, and his tone less grating.

    “Ehh, that’s old news. Just over there will be fine, it’ll be good to make camp within spitting distance of the cliff, gives you a good view of the landscape.”

    He points to a spot with a boulder on one side, a couple of trees on the other, flat ground, much drier than where you’ve just been. It’s as if the island is separated into discrete areas with hard boundaries of difference—must be the work of spirits.

    In short order you make a makeshift sled. You have expended time, effort, your sack (let’s say you strengthen it with reeds) and Phil’s pulleys, for now at least. You can take it apart later if it’s not lost.



    Everyone

    Kap stands agape at the spirit, but Henn to all your surprise is already throwing some cloth over a branch to begin making camp.

    “We can make a hut later, let’s get a fire going and make a bit of cover!”, she cheers, “Phil! Hobble over this way, I’ve got something awful for you to drink.”

    Dusk approaches.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BdUZkTLE06A&list=PL0A12ED38862DB0F5&index=3

    Say the word and you’ll have yourself a home base. That’ll be the end of the session, as it were. We can de-brief a bit and keep going.

    Endless_Serpents on
  • Options
    discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    edited June 18
    Jenna smiles as she completes her work.
    A convenient Phil-burrow


    (Or at least that's what I'm imagining with the front pulley wheel)

    discrider on
  • Options
    Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    Irina shrugs a little, there's weird stuff in the world and she's just glad she didn't have to interact with it. For her part she made sure to find some patch of ground that at least had some cosy grass and some shade. She pitched in some dry wood for the camp fire before producing her child hood flute.

    The music was hardly gracefully played, she sounded out of practice and the flute really wasn't the right size for an adult hand or mouth. Still, it was songs of home and she insisted she was boosting morale.

  • Options
    Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    Everyone

    Night veils the island. The stars are out in full force and you can all see clearly. Irina’s fire burns a crisp orange, casting dancing shadows out in a circle around you. You hear distant calls that are at once alien and familiar; animals your people once understood and lived alongside. To the north-west pinpricks of golden light hover above the bushes, slowly rising with the passing hour. Fireflies. Soon they will fly about the trees and spread out across valley. Long is has been passed down that they can slip into the land of the dead to deliver messages. Will they tell your ancestors you’ve made it back?

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=be1jJCH32OU&list=RDQMg9BfT6V6CmM&index=32

    Y’all recover your hit points and earn 100 experience! You’ve each got 400 experience, nearly half way to 2nd level. Not bad for a day’s hike. Feel free to chat in character for a bit before sleep.

    ———

    Right, I’ll drop the italics for the rest of the post, but it’s all out of character stuff:


    Thanks for playing so far! This is a West March style game, which is to say you drop in and out whenever a quest ends, and you discuss what you want to do next in the out of character thread and come to me when you wanna get to it. I didn’t manage to get multiple parties for this campaign, which was what I was hoping was going to push this very simple game into something with a bit more bite.

    https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/250422/knave-ooc-the-return#latest

    If you want to finish here your character will just sort of exist until you want to play again, or not. If you’re up for more it’s up to you to gather your party before venturing forth. On the off chance someone new wants to join in they can either have always been with you, or if they want they can have a mini-quest as they arrive by their own canoe and hike to the campsite. You don’t have to ask me permission to join the game, just get invited by a player and make sure you’ve got a credible 1st level sheet.

    This campsite itself will become a home base over time. Kap and Henn can do the building while you’re out lopping off heads and reclaiming treasure, artefacts and locations stolen by demons! Be on the look out for homely stuff too, if you manage to haul back table and chairs I’ll give it a mechanical benefit at the base.

    It’s been cool so far. I’m liking the chill vibe.

  • Options
    Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    The Party

    The sun rises over your second day on the island. A soft rain pitters across the valley for an hour, but it is pushing north, leaving behind only dew that glints in the morning light. A sky is a warm pink, and by the time you’re dressed a rainbow has been painted up from beneath the horizon.

    For today at least Kap and Henn have chosen to stay at the camp. They’ll be under the protection of a spirit in a relatively safe part of the island—besides, they say, they need to do a welcome ceremony for the island if you want to avoid unnecessary bad luck.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=avHW3tyQ9tM&list=PLDJoQvN7sex4bvqLe0HU4Ml5r9OUvzEX7&index=20

    You follow the rough marks on your map made by the spirit Digging Bear until you reach Fort Rider. It’s practically still morning; it was no trouble getting here.

    The Fort is oddly build downhill in a shallow dip of wild flowers, rather than looming from on high or cut into a hard cliff to reduce the number of sides needed to defend. Whoever built it was an idiot, unmatched in battle or both. At first glance the fort is built from jagged, grey stone, but as you approach it instead seems to be hardened clay coated in shards of flint and granite. Some areas are missing clunks, but they’ve mostly stood the test of time. The entrance to the fort is smashed open, the two tall, reinforced doors barely hanging on.

    xm5nshgkmhgf.png

    The flowers are the loviest you’ve seen on the island so far, five star petals, a yellow that trails into bright white at the edges. You know them as the Good-Luck Flower; some of your oldest kept dried out remains in glass amulets, but they weren’t passed down to any of you. Edible, so it’s said.

    Once, long ago, a series of bamboo walls encircled the fortress, but not much still stands. From the shape of some remaining pieces, more than the fort stood here a hundred years ago. It’s likely there were homes here, but the materials used were all too quick to rot away. You could search for clues to how they lived and things left behind, but you’ll no doubt only find ordinary implements.

    ———

    Phil

    There it is. Home. You know one thing for certain, in the secret room accessed by turning a statue to face the right way, you will find… What is in the secret room saved for you by your family?

    ———

    Irina

    You reckon this so called fort only has two floors, and can easily be climbed. You notice a few birds sticking their head out of holes in the wall above a set of trees with wide, thick branches. Time has worn away at this place, if you look close enough. There could be a way in from the roof, you bet.

    ———

    Jenna

    Ballsy to build here of all places. You wonder if invaders took it long before the demons arrived, or if Phil’s ancestors hung on for… Nah, they probably ran away first out of anyone!

    Pretty easy day so far. Is it a good idea just to walk in the front?



    Malosi

    Your skin crawls. It’s your curse taking hold. You see just a small glimpse of it. It’s all you ever see, as if you’re over their shoulder, helpless to change what has already happened.

    The Curse of Malosi:
    A woman is heading away on a terrified horse. You are aware she is pregnant. It’s pouring with rain. She looks back, but the hood of her cloak hides her face… and then it hits you. You feel a scorching pain in your gut, and are engulfed in the stench of something acidic. You hear a terrible hissing. Then blackness.

    @Albino Bunny @joshgotro @discrider @El Skid

  • Options
    Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    Irina came to the fort with a shrug that turned into a yawn. For all she claimed to be a rough sleeper after her time in the scouts and hunters she was, ultimately, someone with rather prissy standards.

    "Well, on the plus side if we scout this out we can sleep with a roof over our heads," she blurted out before seeming to take stock.

    "I must confess though, the downside to this spoil might be clearing it out, tis a rather portentous sort of building, to stand ere long and still challenge defiants' such as we,"

    For her part the raven haired and skinned woman made sure to have her shield and spear drawn and followed whichever fool seemed most confident in their plan.

  • Options
    discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    ES, I don't think Jenna would even consider that a question.
    This is our house!


    "It is a bit of a fixer upper though, isn't it?", Jenna quips, indicating the front gate.

    She pauses a bit, to take in the condition of the entranceway.
    You wouldn't think that the ancestors would have been besieged before fleeing.
    With the demons coming through, Jenna had always surmised that they would have flown or simply shifted like smoke over the island.
    Good to see solid rock still had merit against them.

    After the moment's thought, she picks the barrow back up and refocuses her efforts on hitting every rock on the way up this hill.
    Henn said that Phil's ankle was just a bit scratched up, and after slathering something viscous over it, said it should have been fine from this morning.
    Well, it's morning.
    Time for Phil to get out of bed.

    Jenna would like to muse over how the gate might have met is end before she gets there, but otherwise she's fine going in the front.

  • Options
    Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    Jenna

    It could have blown open this way any old time, but it certainly looks like it was smashed open from inside the fort.

  • Options
    El SkidEl Skid The frozen white northRegistered User regular
    Phil

    Phil stood up with difficulty and looked around, amazed.

    It was his Father’s dream realized… though by his lazy, good for nothing son instead of Himself. Behind the hidden wall lay the family’s battle standard, symbol of their wealth, power and stature

    Phil limped dramatically over to the statue and motioned for some help as he started to push at the statue.

  • Options
    Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    edited June 26
    Phil

    I’m gonna roll with this because I obviously wasn’t clear.

    Together you turn the statue.

    A concealed door springs open to the east of the main gate. You’ll have to get closer to see what’s inside, but you’re sure the room is very shallow. One person can just to say fit inside.

    botlau67y3ug.jpeg

    I’m not gonna have access to my ipad for a few days as I’m at sea, so just imagine that doorway is drawn clearer.

    Endless_Serpents on
  • Options
    El SkidEl Skid The frozen white northRegistered User regular
    Phil prepares to push his way inside

    Geth roll 1d20+2 for wis save

    wis save:
    1d20+2 11 [1d20=9]

  • Options
    Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    Phil

    You slip into the room, which only just large enough to hold your ancestral battle standard. You see a tiny hole in the wall with a length of thick, treated string running through it and out to the door. It’s pulled tight. Flicking the line inquisitively, you hear a faint tinkle—when the door swung open a small bell was rung somewhere on the other side of the wall.

    Shaggy Stallion Battle Standard
    A tall wooden pole wrapped in soft rope topped off with a jade horse. A tattered, moth eaten red flag hangs from a crossbar. Half way down the pole is a small, silver mirror. Some of the rope can be partially unwound to tie round the bearers pack or body.
    3 slots, unwieldy in tight spaces
    While you carry or hold the standard on display you can rally an ally to battle. You can forgo movement and action on your turn to grant an ally an extra action immediately.

    As you leave the room, you see a skull. A human skull. It’s crawling away beneath the shade of nearby trees. It is grinning at you with a jaw of shattered, sharp teeth! It pauses. Then it carries on over a particularly protruding root.

  • Options
    Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    Everyone Else

    Phil has gone east of the main entrance and popped in and out of a shallow room. He’s downhill of you all.

    What do you do?

  • Options
    Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    Are you expecting a secret?!

    The secret is: weekend 50 experience!

  • Options
    discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    Jenna

    Jenna moves over to the fallen doors, trailing her convenient sword barrow behind her.

    The doors have fallen the wrong way..
    Normally people inside a building can open the doors themselves?

    Were the fort doors sealed from the outside at some point?

  • Options
    Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    edited July 3
    Jenna

    Looking over the main gate, the doors were barred on the inside. Something burst out!

    The room immediately in front of you looks to have once been a grand entrance hall. Here the lord showed his wealth, martial prowess and piety for all to see. But some time before this fort’s end men had fixed sharp wooden stakes to the tiled floor, pointing inwards, angled at 45 degrees to the ceiling. They were fortifying from an internal threat! You sense this whole place is going to be booby trapped…

    Besides this, you see what’s left of the old days. There are four broken statues, each surrounded by white sand pits that may once have been kept in circling patterns. Stuck in the pits are small, toppled incense bowls. This were sites of prayer to the islands major guardian gods.

    Hooks and racks line the walls for weapons. None remain.

    At the far end, a tattered tapestry. It tells a story with a mix of sewn figures and text… you’re a bit rusty on Islander. Never had to use it for anything. Intelligence save. Target 15. Anyone can have a go.

    The door to head further in is closed. The handle and lock has melted into a sorry shape. It’s stuck. Up to you how you deal with it.

    You can pick your way through this room safely, but you can’t move through it faster than a walk.

    Endless_Serpents on
  • Options
    discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    Jenna
    Jenna assesses the mess of a courtyard.
    "They knew the demons were coming..."
    She's not entirely sure why they would have built on top of a demon but..

    There's also the shrines.
    She feels like she should be re-dedicating them.
    The stars outside would likely make for a reasonable offering, but..
    She sighs.
    Probably best to clear out the place first.

    Leaving the cart by the entrance, and grabbing her second sword, she slowly picks her way to the tapestry.
    Maybe the ancestors left a clue as to what was being guarded here.

    Geth roll 1d20+6 for Ancient knowledge

    Ancient knowledge:
    1d20+6 14 [1d20=8]

  • Options
    Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    Jenna

    884eafa4gz5u.jpeg

    You pick up only a bit of it, but you might be able to make use of it. Some repeating images stand out to you, and there are words you recognise.
    1. Our world was born of a wish.
    2. …from the mighty four… …sprung the sea around the ancient…
    3. The spirit of the hero will carry with them renewed sealing power.
    4. Our island…
    5. …to keep… …at bay our focus must always be…

    Guess that hero never showed.

  • Options
    Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    Everyone

    In the main hall, Jenna is looking over a dusty old tapestry. The door that leads further inside is damaged, the handle and lock melted, stuck shut.

    Phil is to the east, outside, peering down at something under the trees.

    A mere ten minutes has passed since you got here.

    What do you do?

  • Options
    discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    What is the condition of the guardian statues? Is one more damaged than the rest?

    On the map, it sort of looked like three of the guardians were still standing, and one had been obliterated.

Sign In or Register to comment.