Options

🖥️️🎮 - Movies Tycoon, The Crust & Fallen Leaf out today!

• Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    greek hoplites dominate early game, I remember gorgo being a very fast start

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    That_Guy wrote: »
    My current main base and assorted perimeter equipment in Planet Crafter.
    owuuzaun12wp.jpg

That whole lake used to be completely dry, and led down about 20 meters to where my old base was.

This game is incredibly satisfying.

I very nearly did the exact same thing but I'd seen @That_Guy start their base on slightly higher ground so I built on top of a couple layers of foundations on top of that hill to end up with a nice high vantage point.

Although because of how the stairs snap to the iron foundations but the living quarters don't snap to that same grid on the foundations my front door is on a wonk which drives me nuts. I ended up putting in other entrances so I wasn't going in that way and I wouldn't get annoyed.

Someone in the comments had tipped me off that the area I had built my first base was going to be underwater at some point. Glad I moved to higher ground. It's a super fun game. I should dive back into it at some point.

Once you unlock the higher tiers of equipment (o2, boots and jetpack) it really strikes home just how tough it can be to start out. I'm scooting around the planet slurping up water from puddles with a backpack full of food on little errands to grab rare ore and I'm passing by all my little waypoint bases and remembering the fight to find 3 iron, 2 titanium and a silicon so I could throw up a shelter and a door to quickly get some o2 back.

It's very calming now that I'm just worrying about food.

This is making this game sound like landlubber Subnautica. Is that accurate?

As far as I could tell, there was no hostile wildlife in Planet Crafter. While they are similar, I think Subnautica has is significantly different vibe.

They're both first person exploration games with light survival elements, where you harvest resources that are lying around everywhere to go down a tech tree and build a base out of modular componants, but that's where the smilarites.

Subnautica is far more story based, and has a strong horror element via thallasphobia with the dark and leviathans and whatnot.

Planet Crafter is much, much lighter on story and is more about making the (terraforming) number go up. There's no enemies so the only hazards other than suffocating or starving is just environmental damage.

We've all died from getting hit by an asteroid or falling off the launch tower right?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    My current main base and assorted perimeter equipment in Planet Crafter.
    owuuzaun12wp.jpg

That whole lake used to be completely dry, and led down about 20 meters to where my old base was.

This game is incredibly satisfying.

I very nearly did the exact same thing but I'd seen @That_Guy start their base on slightly higher ground so I built on top of a couple layers of foundations on top of that hill to end up with a nice high vantage point.

Although because of how the stairs snap to the iron foundations but the living quarters don't snap to that same grid on the foundations my front door is on a wonk which drives me nuts. I ended up putting in other entrances so I wasn't going in that way and I wouldn't get annoyed.

Someone in the comments had tipped me off that the area I had built my first base was going to be underwater at some point. Glad I moved to higher ground. It's a super fun game. I should dive back into it at some point.

Once you unlock the higher tiers of equipment (o2, boots and jetpack) it really strikes home just how tough it can be to start out. I'm scooting around the planet slurping up water from puddles with a backpack full of food on little errands to grab rare ore and I'm passing by all my little waypoint bases and remembering the fight to find 3 iron, 2 titanium and a silicon so I could throw up a shelter and a door to quickly get some o2 back.

It's very calming now that I'm just worrying about food.

This is making this game sound like landlubber Subnautica. Is that accurate?

As far as I could tell, there was no hostile wildlife in Planet Crafter. While they are similar, I think Subnautica has is significantly different vibe.

They're both first person exploration games with light survival elements, where you harvest resources that are lying around everywhere to go down a tech tree and build a base out of modular componants, but that's where the smilarites.

Subnautica is far more story based, and has a strong horror element via thallasphobia with the dark and leviathans and whatnot.

Planet Crafter is much, much lighter on story and is more about making the (terraforming) number go up. There's no enemies so the only hazards other than suffocating or starving is just environmental damage.

We've all died from getting hit by an asteroid or falling off the launch tower right?

There's a particular type of asteroid with a lategame resource that I'm pretty sure is aimed for whereever your standing when it spawns in the sky.

So uh, make sure you don't stand in one spot.

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular

xTsuE8U.png

5Lq9KpV.png
    gbLyeKb.png
    ztSC4K1.png
    96Nh9C6.png

some person (ex-rooster teeth? ) is trying to make his own gamergate awards show

he made a video about it but I'm not gonna link that here

• Options
    #TakeGamesBack - back from whom? what did they "take" from you, and what do think you used to have that you lost?

• Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    When do you think the grift collapses

Do you think they make it all the way to an actual boondoggle of an awards show, a sort of Fyre Fest Keighleys where the only trailers are for an HD remaster of Hatred and some Daily Wire game called "Border Defender" or whatever

Or do you think it underperforms for a couple of days before credit cards start getting double charged and refunds are slow to process before the guy disappears forever

• Options
    Fig-DFig-D Tustin, CA, USRegistered User regular
    Stuttering Craig was a part of ScrewAttack, a video centric website that got a lot of eyes when their content started showing up on GameTrailers.com.

He went full mask-off dipshit about 4 or 5 years ago.

SteamID - Fig-D :: PSN - Fig-D
  • Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    no chance it ever gets to a show. this is a take the money and run grift while saying oops it just didn’t work out we tried sorry

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    When do you think the grift collapses

Do you think they make it all the way to an actual boondoggle of an awards show, a sort of Fyre Fest Keighleys where the only trailers are for an HD remaster of Hatred and some Daily Wire game called "Border Defender" or whatever

Or do you think it underperforms for a couple of days before credit cards start getting double charged and refunds are slow to process before the guy disappears forever

i think we see a slow weaseling away from what's promised

so first you say the venue has been changed to some low-rent space
    then you say the audience will be a bit smaller
    then you admit that some of the devs have pulled out
    then some kind of mid-tier scandal drops like "the host is a sex pest"
    then it becomes just a live stream where a dude on a webcam (tommy tallarico) reads the names of games off a list in each category
    maybe a web page gets updated afterwards, and you email some .pngs of the awards to "winners"

• Options
    asofyeunasofyeun Registered User regular
    edited July 10
    If anything does happen I expect it to look like the knock off willy Wonka event

Edit: but even sadder, and probably with some misogyny thrown in

asofyeun on
  • Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    $5/month is a lower tier than $30/year

Based on those prices, it's closing shop in 6 months or less

• Options
    KadithKadith Registered User regular
    edited July 10
    everybody forgets within a week

continues to exist in a sole website with 3 posts a month, mostly from "true-believers"

event happens but only 2 people know about it.

Kadith on
    zkHcp.jpg
  • Options
    firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    Fools and their money etc.

Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavantu
  • Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    I can sorta understand having an opinion about an awards show. Like given these 5 things, which deserves Best Thing invites an opinion.

And certainly awards can be a fun way to find out about some well-regarded stuff you might have missed.

But I can't imagine wanting to pay actual dollars to have a chance of nominating something for an award for a show that doesn't exist

Like if I love a game... I have that game. It's done! I already like it! I know everything I need to know about it!

Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    The real shitty thing is there's probably room for a "real" game awards show that isn't just a marketing event they've poorly shoehorned a bunch of awards into.

But yeah, this ain't it.

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    The real shitty thing is there's probably room for a "real" game awards show that isn't just a marketing event they've poorly shoehorned a bunch of awards into.

But yeah, this ain't it.

Is there though?

What awards show that is real and isn't a marketing event would you model it on?

• Options
    Fair enough.

• Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    doesn't GDC already have "real" awards

nobody watches it because we really just want the trailers

• Options
    There's also the DICE awards, and they actually do put on a show as well but probably broadly nobody knows what won

• Options
    Like on some level maybe a more "Authentic" award that nobody outside the industry even realizes happens might be more fulfilling to the person receiving it, I can't really say.

But like, their production fuckups aside, the winners that actually got stage time at the Keighleys seemed pretty happy with it to me. Astarion's voice actor cried on stage. Like, I see how happy the recipients are and it makes it a bit more difficult to dismiss the whole thing outright.

This latest grift is just the theoretical awards show for misogynist bigots.

• Options
    edited July 10
    Maddoc wrote: »
    Like on some level maybe a more "Authentic" award that nobody outside the industry even realizes happens might be more fulfilling to the person receiving it, I can't really say.

But like, their production fuckups aside, the winners that actually got stage time at the Keighleys seemed pretty happy with it to me. Astarion's voice actor cried on stage. Like, I see how happy the recipients are and it makes it a bit more difficult to dismiss the whole thing outright.

But that's the problem with the VGA's; for every winner they bring on stage, there's like 5 who get read off in quick succession so they can get to the next suite of trailers.

They throw awards in the pre-show! You know, the part of the show with a big countdown telling people when the actual show starts!

Hell, typically in award shows, getting nominated is a big honor as well, but again, most of the awards are just lists read off as fast as possible. No examples of the games, no shot of the nominees; just a list of names and then a winner.

Like, the point I was failing to make earlier, stuff like the Oscars and Emmys aren't great, but those shows are LEAGUES ahead of the VGAs in that the shows seem to at least be about awards and don't come across as an unfortunate obligation the host has to get out of the way as fast as possible so there's more time for trailers.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    edited July 10
    The Oscars does all of the things you just said (Well, except for getting through stuff in quick succession for trailers, they get through stuff in quick succession because they don't respect technical awards)

I haven't watched the Emmy's in a while, but that's fine nobody else has either

Maddoc on
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    Ultimately part of the question is The Money. Something like the Oscars receives money from surrounding businesses because as a physical event with a large ecosystem around it, it in turn generates revenue for the businesses around it. They're also selling Commercials, which as an event that is not on broadcast tv TGAs don't have access to in the same way.

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    Yeah if you thought the cost that was going around for getting a trailer on the Keighleys was high, wait until I tell you about commercial slots during the Oscars

• Options
    unironically i do think a lot of it is that people feel there is a difference between taking a commercial break and personally announcing a commercial

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    Anyway we moved past it but I would like to say that Borderlands' writing is in fact as good as Ken Levine's.

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    It's never going to stop being funny to me that Ken Levine played Gone Home and it so thoroughly destroyed his sense of self worth that he closed his studio and fired all the workers so that he could pretend to be an indie dev

And now, like a decade later, he's making another Bioshock

• Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited July 10
    Everyone you still have time to buy Solium Infernum and I wish you would because I'm currently playing 6 games at once and they've all been varied and entertaining the whole time!

- In one, I had a great moment where I speedily got the money necessary to purchase The Beast, a teleporting Titan that can basically annihilate anything else on the board... but has expensive upkeep. Whatever though, I had good economic shit going, that's how I afforded it in the first place! Five turns of everyone hitting me with as many attempts at "burn money"/"steal money" as they could, I could in fact not afford that upkeep and it poofed out of existence. I did still teleport it over a key land-bridge, which means I control a key crossing right now.
    - In another I managed to get a huge amount of Prestige by planning ahead and summoning several shitty little decaying skeleton armies as Murmur, Monarch of the Dead. Because one of the Vendetta win conditions is "capture at least 3 territories" and you get a bonus for doing it in fewer turns, I was able to set it up so the turn I declared I'd take 3 bits of territory from someone I had my 3 legions ready to march out, so it all worked in one turn.
    - In a different one I just set someone up for a rope-a-dope where I used Strategems to absolutely rock their strongest Legion and then grab their most useful Place of Power, which... is exactly what someone else that game did to me 15 turns earlier
    - Another game has ten turns left and me and it's down to just me and one other player fielding every Titan available and daring each other to attack Pandaemonium while trying to figure out how to use all the highest-level stuff available to launch the perfect Final Attack. We eliminated all the other players by conquest, which is a first for me!

It's just a great strategy game!

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    edited July 10
    It's never going to stop being funny to me that Ken Levine played Gone Home and it so thoroughly destroyed his sense of self worth that he closed his studio and fired all the workers so that he could pretend to be an indie dev

I don't have a great memory for specific events but I remember when this happened very clearly and remember thinking how fucking depressingly funny it was at the time, how pathetic and needy he sounded and how many lives he upended for his own ego, and it's only gotten more so since then

Houk the Namebringer on
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    Narrative legos

• Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular

wait what

• Options
    Crippl3 wrote: »

wait what

Since the release of BioShock, Levine served as creative director and lead writer on BioShock Infinite, set in 1912 in the floating city of Columbia. BioShock Infinite was a critical and commercial success, winning over 80 awards pre-release.[21][22]

In February 2014, Levine announced that Irrational Games would be closing down, with fifteen members of the staff to follow Levine to focus on digital only, narrative-driven games for Take-Two.[23] He stated in a 2016 interview that the stress of managing Infinite's development had affected his health and personal relationships, and rather than stay on to lead an even larger BioShock game, opted to depart from it.[24]
    Ghost Story Games
    edit

On February 23, 2017, Irrational Games was rebranded as Ghost Story Games, founded by 12 of the former Irrational members with Levine remaining as president and creative director.[25] In January 2022, the studio's game was reported to be in development hell, with employees blaming Levine for a lack of leadership in producing a vaguely pitched game that Levine described as a "narrative LEGO" in which every player would have a unique experience.[26] On December 8, 2022, they revealed their game, the first-person shooter Judas.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=tXg4FVsSP2w

• Options
    so many puff pieces about ken levine of the era are so subtly damning. he's so fucking lucky he can't finish a fucking game and come back into the public eye

https://www.polygon.com/2014/3/6/5474722/why-did-irrational-close-bioshock-infinite

Interviewees pointed to Levine's eagerness to iterate as his most brilliant and most frustrating quality: It's an expensive and time-consuming creative method but, at its best, it could produce astonishing results. Former employees say it sometimes brought people to the company and other times drove them away,

One source recalls how Levine would challenge the historical accuracy of a design, down to the tiniest of details. If something wasn't perfect — if it didn't fit in the context of the world — then it needed to be done again. "I realized that he's not someone you bullshit," says the source, "because he cares about that detail so much and really loves it when other people do too."

Other former employees had a more extreme reaction to their boss's creative process. At least one department had instituted a policy of "essentially having the lead observe a 'dress rehearsal' of any meeting that was planned to present content to Ken." In interviews from 2012, former employees of Irrational called this practice "Ken Whispering."
    Some employees loved Ken; some felt personally hurt or wronged by him. Some subjects interviewed for this report said Levine's behavior could go beyond the role of a stubborn boss and sometimes became explicitly rude or mean. Sharp profanity, shouting and heated arguments, say sources, weren't uncommon. One source claims Take-Two mandated annual sensitivity training for its employees in the final years.

Another source claims that, at one point in Infinite's development, an external firm was brought in to improve the studio's culture. They held a workshop and, after some analysis, they reached a conclusion: Levine wasn't going to change, so the employees would need to change around him.

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    I was being kind of jokey about the Gone Home thing, but it does line up timeline wise and the fact that Steve Gaynor worked at Irrational before Fullbright, so I like to believe that Ken Levine played Gone Home and had a breakdown

• Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    oh wow I hadn't actually seen a trailer for it, yeah that's absolutely just "we have Bioshock at home"

• Options
    so many puff pieces about ken levine of the era are so subtly damning. he's so fucking lucky he can't finish a fucking game and come back into the public eye

https://www.polygon.com/2014/3/6/5474722/why-did-irrational-close-bioshock-infinite

Interviewees pointed to Levine's eagerness to iterate as his most brilliant and most frustrating quality: It's an expensive and time-consuming creative method but, at its best, it could produce astonishing results. Former employees say it sometimes brought people to the company and other times drove them away,

One source recalls how Levine would challenge the historical accuracy of a design, down to the tiniest of details. If something wasn't perfect — if it didn't fit in the context of the world — then it needed to be done again. "I realized that he's not someone you bullshit," says the source, "because he cares about that detail so much and really loves it when other people do too."

Other former employees had a more extreme reaction to their boss's creative process. At least one department had instituted a policy of "essentially having the lead observe a 'dress rehearsal' of any meeting that was planned to present content to Ken." In interviews from 2012, former employees of Irrational called this practice "Ken Whispering."
    Some employees loved Ken; some felt personally hurt or wronged by him. Some subjects interviewed for this report said Levine's behavior could go beyond the role of a stubborn boss and sometimes became explicitly rude or mean. Sharp profanity, shouting and heated arguments, say sources, weren't uncommon. One source claims Take-Two mandated annual sensitivity training for its employees in the final years.

Another source claims that, at one point in Infinite's development, an external firm was brought in to improve the studio's culture. They held a workshop and, after some analysis, they reached a conclusion: Levine wasn't going to change, so the employees would need to change around him.

no you don't understand, he's an auteur, that makes it okay

• Options
    dumbass techbro clown who mistakes incompetence for perfectionism and can't tell more than one story to save his fucking life

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    dumbass techbro clown who mistakes incompetence for perfectionism and can't tell more than one story to save his fucking life

Shoulda been a story about dogs driving cars

• Options
    x9lnyshxdqvf.jpg

• Options
    KarozKaroz Registered User regular
    I know it's not phenomenal writing or anything, but I did enjoy the group in Borderlands Pre-Sequel actually talking during quests and more interactions than just their ultimate activiations (and would in fact react to other character's ultimate activations).

Yes, I'm along for the ride but at least had a bit more character to it IMO.