Options

Convicted Felon Donald [Trump] Crime Thread. 34 Guilty, 54 Still Pending.

MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
edited 3:21PM in Debate and/or Discourse
Was 91 total, now 88 (reality's writers are hacks). I'll revise the numbers if the three dropped charges are reinstated, and if the unlikely event that more charges get verdicts before the election, or before the thread runs out.

@PotatoNinja posted this in the previous thread.
If you want an easy tune to sing for this may I recommend

opu2r3aocx5o.png

On to the show. Most of the previous OP is still valid, so I'll just cut and paste it, with a few edits.

This thread is for discussion of the multitudes of Trump's personal criminal and civil trials. Of which there are many.

There's the big 4.
- The NY Election Financing trial, due to start soon. This is also known as the "hush money" trial, but I really don't like that as it minimizes what was done.
34 charges up, 34 guilty. Sentencing July 11th. Just days before the RNC.
- The DC Election/Insurrection trial, should have started soon, but STILL currently in limbo with SCOTUS possibly considering delaying the trial until after the election, if not giving the fucker immunity.
- The GA Election trial, should have started, but is STILL currently embroiled in bullshit because gotta slander the Fulton DA.
- The FL Documents trial, not gonna happen until after the election (and never, if he wins), because the judge is clearly compromised. Didn't even need to edit this one, nothing has changed since I wrote it into the previous first post back in February.

A good and running commentary of these four trials. Thanks to @cardboard delusions
https://www.politico.com/interactives/2023/trump-criminal-investigations-cases-tracker-list/

There's also several others that honestly, it's hard to keep track of.
- Something to do with a shitty Skype phone type thing.
- A civil case brought about by Capitol police officers.
- Lawsuit by partners of Truth Social, of him trying to screw them out of their share value.
- Lawsuit AGAINST partners of Truth Social, because screwing people is his brand.
- Trump v Clinton lawsuit fine.
- Probably a half dozen others, you point them out, I'll add them here. :)

There's a separate thread for his sexual crimes.
https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/227164/trump-found-to-have-committed-sexual-assault-by-ny-jury
Note, he violated the gag order again, so it's possible EJC and her counsel file again, but possibly they just use it as point positive when arguing against appeals.

And for his business specific crimes.
https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240686/trump-org-s-business-is-criming-and-business-is-good

But those are often as much tied to him that it's not strictly against the thread topic, though if you can, talk about them there.

What the thread is not about, is the 2024 General Election, unless specifically related to those crimes. That includes his inane bullshit at rallies, that don't have anything to do with his crimes.

EDIT - This thread is also NOT about nihilism. If you are absolutely convinced that the next set of goalposts will never ever happen, take it elsewhere. It's okay to be skeptical, but that needs to be balanced against accepting the possibility that you're wrong. Especially given how often nihilists have had to move what it is they're nihilistic as previous dominos have toppled.

Hahnsoo1 at

• Options
    If this doesn't embed, I'll replace when it goes up on Youtube. Not normally a fan of Fallon or TikTok, but this is something special.

https://www.tiktok.com/@fallontonight/video/7374936605171141934

• Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    Look, I know the odds are low (though there's a good chance his actions in the next month will raise those odds) that he will see jail.

But.

I mean, I've got some body parts I could probably do without, if it meant seeing him carted off in handcuffs to jail days before the RNC.

It would be so choice. I'd highly recommend it if we had the means.

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    edited May 31
    Look, I know the odds are low (though there's a good chance his actions in the next month will raise those odds) that he will see jail.

But.

I mean, I've got some body parts I could probably do without, if it meant seeing him carted off in handcuffs to jail days before the RNC.

I fully agree on all points, including a willingness to have you sacrifice body parts to ensure a perp walk and incarceration.

While your post is perfectly within the bounds of skepticism with regards "hard time" (I also think the most likely severe consequence is house arrest), I've updated the OP to put absolute nihilism as off-topic for this thread.

Skepticism with an acceptance of the possibility of optimism is fine. "He will never ever" is just fucking depressing, and has been knocked down a half dozen times already. Never be charged indicted arrested face trial found guilty etc. If all you're doing is saying "never ever" make your own nihilism thread with blackjack and hookers.

MorganV on
  • Options
    PinDropPinDrop Registered User regular
    edited May 31

But.

Like many others I spent the day listening to / reading the reactions and thoughts of numerous lawyers. Opinions are predictably all over the place.

Some think that as a first time felony offender and his being a rich ex president and all, the judge will just give him probation, or at best several months in jail possibly suspended. Others point out how he has not shown a lick on contrition, in fact immediately attacking the judge and the court, so they believe that the judge may make an example of him.

Personally, I think the judge has a duty to give him some time. He violated his gag order like ten times, forcing the court to modify it. He clearly has zero remorse over what he did. Combine this with his litany of other crimes that he has been found guilty of, this is not a person that I think the court can trust not to go on committing more crimes with reckless abandon.

PinDrop on
  • Options
    MillMill Registered User regular
    edited May 31
    On the civil case brought by capitol police, expect to see more about that soon, well maybe. I know a few days ago, there was a coordinated effort by pro-Trump assholes to SWAT the 78 year old mother of Michael Fanone, a former capitol police officer that was nearly killed on Jan. 6th. That got pissy and did it because he recently called Trump and authoritarian with a violence fetish.

Not surprising Fanone is pretty fucking pissed about it. Dude knows just how badly things could have gone for his 78 year old mother. The assholes that did it also created a fake manifesto, where it claimed that he had killed his mother and was planning to go to shoot up his former high school from over two decades ago.

I hope the shitheads that did that do get caught because they'll will absolutely do it again. I also hope there is enough in the law, that allows the prosecutors to try them for attempted murder because those pieces of shit intentionally set this up to up the odds that his mother would have gotten killed. Then essentially claimed an active shooting was going on, that the victim was supposedly dead and given how Trumpy some cops are, probably plenty out there that know who he is and are absolutely chomping at the bit to have a justifiable excuse to murder him. So some asshole could have easily decided they needed to go in guns blazing because the the dude's mother is totes dead and he is a former cop, who is armed, so dangerous enough to argue a need to shoot first and ask questions later.

Finally, jut one more piece of evidence to throw into the bin about how Trump's behavior has been damaging enough, to justify going after him in court.

Mill on
  • Options
    RazielMortemRazielMortem Registered User regular
    I see the possible appeal arguments are already coming out - so nice that in this day and age legal scholars are happy to offer them for free to get on the news. Anyway it looks like they're going to attack the lurid Stormy Daniels overreach and also the grounds for why this crime was a federal felony rather than misdemeanour.

• Options
    MarathonMarathon Registered User regular
    I see the possible appeal arguments are already coming out - so nice that in this day and age legal scholars are happy to offer them for free to get on the news. Anyway it looks like they're going to attack the lurid Stormy Daniels overreach and also the grounds for why this crime was a federal felony rather than misdemeanour.

You mean the Daniel’s testimony where the judge stepped in and did the Defense lawyers job for them?

• Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    edited May 31
    Marathon wrote: »

You mean the Daniel’s testimony where the judge stepped in and did the Defense lawyers job for them?

Yeah, this is the reason that argument won't stand in front of any kind of impartial judge.

They would do better trying to make the case that his defense was incompetent and he didn't get a fair trial as a result, but the truth is he had a damn good defense lawyer in the lead chair so I doubt that holds water either; Trump just could not help himself when it came to setting strategy. Blanche would never have made the validity of Stormy Daniels' statements around their sexual encounter a key plank in his defense as it was immaterial and he knew it. But Trump gotta Trump.

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    edited May 31
    Lol they signed the verdict at 4:20

Edit: and the sentencing is set for 7/11.

I'm just saying these are objectively funny numbers.

Juggernut on
  • Options
    zagdrobzagdrob Registered User regular
    Juggernut wrote: »

Here's to hoping he gets sentenced to 69 days in jail.

• Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    zagdrob wrote: »

Here's to hoping he gets sentenced to 69 days in jail.

It sure would be nice.

• Options
    SurikoSuriko AustraliaRegistered User regular

cRyYXfl.png

The funniest thing could possibly happen here.

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Mo Brooks is the only recent GOP elected to suggest maybe they shouldn't nominate Trump now. Of course, he lost his seat after running for the Alabama Senate seat Britt won. Trump initially endorsed him, but then unendorsed him and picked Britt. So Brooks is just pissy about that and doesn't have any actual principles.

Everybody else is like this is a travesty. Susan Collins had a particularly craven statement, which will not stop the press from calling her a moderate, I'm sure.

The idea that your vote is a moral statement about you or who you vote for is some backwards ass libertarian nonsense. Your vote is about society. Vote to protect the vulnerable.
  • Options
    Oh no the idea that this might in any way effect the RNC nomination is wishful thinking. Trump is the GOP and the GOP is Trump.

They're going down together, all the way to the fucking bottom, screaming and biting eachothers fingers.

• Options
    TuminTumin Registered User regular
    If he was jailed starting July 11 for 6 months I think they might, maybe, have to have a hard conversation. It seems like too hard a hill.

• Options
    RazielMortemRazielMortem Registered User regular
    Apparently his appeal can delay sentencing?

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Oh no the idea that this might in any way effect the RNC nomination is wishful thinking. Trump is the GOP and the GOP is Trump.

They're going down together, all the way to the fucking bottom, screaming and biting eachothers fingers.

so long as they don't take the rest of us with them, i wish them a very long and unpleasant trip.

• Options
    Tumin wrote: »
    If he was jailed starting July 11 for 6 months I think they might, maybe, have to have a hard conversation. It seems like too hard a hill.

I am not trying to be a wet blanket here, I really am not. It is extremely funny to me the Republican presidential nominee can't legally own a gun now.

But, Trump could be wheeled into a federal maximum security prison Hannibal Lecter style and they would still walk in there and nominate him. As long as the hardcore MAGA base believes this is a political coup they have no choice. They can't win without that bloc, even if it sheers off a huge chunk of less out of touch conservatives.

Like it or not, it's gonna be The Felon Donald Trump vs Incumbent Joe Biden in November. That is the reality of America right now and we gotta brace to get through that.

• Options
    silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    Trump needs to be introduced as Known Sexual Predator, Convicted Felon Donald Trump from here on out. Just hammer that point over and over and over.

• Options
    GrudgeGrudge blessed is the mind too small for doubtRegistered User regular
    Congratulations America! I'm truly happy for your sake. Even as a dirty liberal European outsider, who is not directly affected by tfg, I do feel satisfaction with the fact that maybe, maybe he will start experiencing some real consequences for his criminal actions. Let's hope it continues in this direction.

• Options
    Yeah that's really the strategy. Use this time in the run up to the election to start absolutely unloading the attack ads. There should not be a minute of empty ad space on TV or radio or YouTube that doesn't have a "Trump is a literal felon and rapist" sound bite rolling.

• Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    Trump needs to be introduced as Known Sexual Predator, Convicted Felon Donald Trump from here on out. Just hammer that point over and over and over.

Hmmm... what are all the great, bigly monikers we can give this guy now.

Proud racist, convicted sexual assaulter, convicted felon, nazi sympathizer, presumptive republican presidential nominee Donald Trump.

Never forget that last one though, its such a force multiplier for all of his other shit.

SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options
    McRhynoMcRhyno Registered User regular
    n17z60wwbhea.png

PSN: ImRyanBurgundy
  • Options
    zagdrobzagdrob Registered User regular
    Grudge wrote: »
    Congratulations America! I'm truly happy for your sake. Even as a dirty liberal European outsider, who is not directly affected by tfg, I do feel satisfaction with the fact that maybe, maybe he will start experiencing some real consequences for his criminal actions. Let's hope it continues in this direction.

He may not be sentenced yet, but he is a bona fide convicted felon with everything that entails. There are a number of immediate and automatic restrictions that took place the moment that 'guilty' was read out, and that is a real consequence of his actions.

Also, one other thought...assuming that he is convicted in any of the other criminal cases (Federal or Georgia), doesn't the fact he is now a convicted felon and not a first time offender have a huge impact on sentencing guidelines?

• Options
    zagdrob wrote: »
    Grudge wrote: »

He may not be sentenced yet, but he is a bona fide convicted felon with everything that entails. There are a number of immediate and automatic restrictions that took place the moment that 'guilty' was read out, and that is a real consequence of his actions.

Also, one other thought...assuming that he is convicted in any of the other criminal cases (Federal or Georgia), doesn't the fact he is now a convicted felon and not a first time offender have a huge impact on sentencing guidelines?

It sure as shit does.

Is either florida or georgia a three strikes state? Asking for a friend.

SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options
    silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    syndalis wrote: »

Proud racist, convicted sexual assaulter, convicted felon, nazi sympathizer, presumptive republican presidential nominee Donald Trump.

Never forget that last one though, its such a force multiplier for all of his other shit.

I don't think he's technically a convicted sexual assaulter. Probably more like indisputably declared sexual assaulter.

• Options

I don't think he's technically a convicted sexual assaulter. Probably more like indisputably declared sexual assaulter.

It's the trap card though - you leave it in so you can say "yeah, you are right, just that a jury saw indisputable proof and found him guilty of it, then he ultimately had to pay over 80 million dollars because he couldn't stop lying about it. But you are right, not "convicted" - care to challenge the rest of them?"

SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular

Those will only make those who support him like and support him more, alas.

• Options
    GrudgeGrudge blessed is the mind too small for doubtRegistered User regular
    The memes coming out because of this conviction are delicious.

qu6ozg06djds.jpg

wcykrbw61adw.png

• Options
    edited May 31
    V1m wrote: »

Those will only make those who support him like and support him more, alas.

I think there are people who are genuinely unaware of what's been going on, and this helps pierce the veil.

silence1186 on
  • Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular

oi! there's only one @moniker and we're keeping him.

• Options
    Professor PhobosProfessor Phobos Registered User regular
    Three strike laws are only for serious felonies (typically violent, sometimes drugs) and wouldn't attach here.

• Options
    Three strike laws are only for serious felonies (typically violent, sometimes drugs) and wouldn't attach here.

The florida ones are about as serious as it gets, IMO, at least from a national security perspective.

SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options
    Professor PhobosProfessor Phobos Registered User regular
    It's usually a set of enumerated crimes and I'm not sure state level stuff would attach to federal level stuff? In any event, the New York case wouldn't be part of a three strike stack.

• Options
    DissociaterDissociater Registered User regular

I am not trying to be a wet blanket here, I really am not. It is extremely funny to me the Republican presidential nominee can't legally own a gun now.

But, Trump could be wheeled into a federal maximum security prison Hannibal Lecter style and they would still walk in there and nominate him. As long as the hardcore MAGA base believes this is a political coup they have no choice. They can't win without that bloc, even if it sheers off a huge chunk of less out of touch conservatives.

Like it or not, it's gonna be The Felon Donald Trump vs Incumbent Joe Biden in November. That is the reality of America right now and we gotta brace to get through that.

It's probably been mentioned before, but I also believe convicted felons cannot vote in places like Florida, where he claims residence, which is very funny to me.

• Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    Felons in Florida can vote after they do some Jim Crow stuff to get their franchise restored

For some reason I can’t see that being a problem for this guy

• Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular

It's probably been mentioned before, but I also believe convicted felons cannot vote in places like Florida, where he claims residence, which is very funny to me.

According to what I’ve read (and what I saw ABC news confirm yesterday), for out of state felony convictions, Florida defers to the disenfranchisement policy of the convicting state — in this case New York, who in theory would have no problem allowing Trump to vote because it’s a low level felony conviction.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    StarZapperStarZapper Vermont, Bizzaro world.Registered User regular
    edited May 31
    This is Trump we're talking about; he's going to commit voter fraud voting for himself, while simultaneously accusing others of doing the same thing. Presuming he's not in prison on Nov 5th.

Most likely Florida will pass some exception for him regardless, since they worship their golden idol.

StarZapper on
  • Options

Could probably add "probably pedophile/incest curious".

With the former, his ties to Epstein, and his behaviour with his teen beauty pageant.

With the latter, I honestly thought it was mostly a joke by the Daily Show, but there's interviews where he all but says he's sexually attracted to his daughter.
    https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/us-politics/donald-trump-ivanka-trump-creepiest-most-unsettling-comments-a-roundup-a7353876.html
    And John Kelly reports he says even worse behind the cameras.
    https://www.salon.com/2023/06/28/ex-aide-john-kelly-was-disgusted-as-wondered-what-it-might-be-like-to-have-with-ivanka/

The man is a disgusting evil pig of a man, and his elevation by Evangelicals is why I don't give a rats arse what those hypocrites say about anything. If he's your choice for standard bearer, then fuck y'all.
    Felons in Florida can vote after they do some Jim Crow stuff to get their franchise restored

For some reason I can’t see that being a problem for this guy

Pretty sure it's two parts, IIRC. One, you've got to have completed your sentence. Two, you've got to pay all outstanding fines and any directed court costs.

The latter is pretty easy, he can fundraise that. The former? Given the sentence isn't likely to start until after he's finished appealing, that might take some time.

If I do recall correctly, it'll be interesting to see if DeSantis and the legislature twist themselves in knots to get an exception passed into law, especially given they've stonewalled the whole idea of re-enfranchisement since it passed as a ballot measure. I mean, I expect it, because hypocrisy and shame aren't things Republicans concern themselves with.

• Options
    GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    edited May 31
    According to what I’ve read (and what I saw ABC news confirm yesterday), for out of state felony convictions, Florida defers to the disenfranchisement policy of the convicting state — in this case New York, who in theory would have no problem allowing Trump to vote because it’s a low level felony conviction.
    As I understand it, in new york felons lose their right to vote during their incarceration which is not likely in the sentencing of the crime that he has been convicted of... but on the other hand trump has shown no contrition, he's antagonized the judge, presented a truly awful defense and violated his gag order like a dozen times so if there is a case for going to jail this is it.

Gaddez on