Options

Hosting a wiki

RichyRichy Registered User regular
I want to create a professional wiki site for my research team. This way each member can contribute to pages on software libraries, research papers, how-tos and procedures, etc. It will serve both our team and will be a display for the outside world to showcase our work.

Problem is, my university doesn't support wikis. I need an external hosting solution. Hence this thread: I'm sure some of you have created and hosted wikis in the past, so I'd like to benefit from your experiences to learn what are the good options out there or the bad ones to avoid.

Our needs:
* Absolutely no ads. This is a non-negotiable red line.
* Least expensive solution possible, as we have no funding for it so it'll come out of our pockets. I expect we'll have to pay something, since no ads, but we can't break the bank.
* Easy to setup and maintain, as it'll be done by volunteers in-between our actual work.
* Some kind of registration control, to make sure only lab members have the power to edit pages. We don't want to wake up one morning and find trolls deleted our research and replaced it with Trump ads.
* Some kind of backup functionality would be nice, you know, just in case.

Does anyone know of a wiki hosting service that fits the bill?

Thanks in advance!

sig.gif

• Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited June 5
    No ads usually means you'll need some cheap paid hosting. There is a free (no ads) nonprofit MediaWiki host but I've never used them and have no experience with them: https://miraheze.org/ They seem worth checking out, though.

Assuming Miraheze doesn't work for you for whatever reason, there are ton of options out there for cheap paid hosting, and a small team wiki is going to be very light duty and you don't need much in the way of memory or CPU.

I use Hostinger for some of my basic hosting. Their lowest tier is USD$8/mo (after you've exhausted the introductory pricing). There are cheaper options out there from Knownhost, A2, Hostgator, and many many others.

If you went with some basic paid web hosting, you'd install some wiki software on your host. Most web hosts will have some easy way to do this, often a single click in your control panel. MediaWiki is the most common and the one I have experience with. Tiki and Dokuwiki are a couple of other common options, but I don't personally have experience with them.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User, Moderator mod
    I use Tiddlyhost, which hosts Tiddlywiki and Featherwiki pages, and is mostly free. But I don't think it has all of the features that you need specific for this project.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    ReznikReznik Registered User regular
    I have a paid hosting plan with Web Hosting Canada (whc.ca)

With it I get access to cpanel and Softaculous. The latter allows super easy (some just about 1-click) installs for a variety of softwares, including wikis and forums. For wikis they offer DokuWiki, PmWiki, WikkaWiki (out of date) and MediaWiki. Softaculous also automatically notifies you when there's an update for an installed software, and the update process is usually just 1 click.

Registration control would depend on what wiki software you choose and how you configure it.

Cpanel also comes with JetBackup for automatic backups; these are stored on your hosting account so you'd want to download them to some other secure storage location to be safe.

This is definitely not your cheapest option, but they work for me. I'm on a $13/mo (CAD) plan but the $10/mo plan sounds like it would fit your needs (there is also currently a sale).

Do... Re.... Mi... Ti... La...
    Do... Re... Mi... So... Fa.... Do... Re.... Do...
    Forget it...
  • Options
    GilgaronGilgaron Registered User regular
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited June 12
    At the risk of being too argumentative, Sharepoint is fucking awful and if you have the ability to spin up something separate, I would do so.

At best it's cumbersome to use the default UI and it really needs a dedicated Sharepoint expert to forge it into something as intuitive as a wiki.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    Yes my university supports SharePoint. They also want to charge us 500$/y for the license. Fuck that.

sig.gif
  • Options
    GilgaronGilgaron Registered User regular
    Oh ok, yes SharePoint is really only worth using if it is 'free' with other MS licensing. It's the "We have X at home" around IT here when people want to buy random crap. Also to avoid the organizational risk that by the time you figure out user access, hosting, system admin and all that you're going to have some unsupportable monstrosity in 5 years when some chemist that was good with computers leaves and everyone is trying to figure out what very critical thing this MS Access file on a laptop in the corner is doing.

I'd still try to get IT to at least host your solution locally/their preferred cloud.

• Options
    I've decided to go with WHC. Thanks everyone!

sig.gif