Options

[Magic: The Gathering] Let me show you my Calamity Beast

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    "Other creatures are Food in addition to their other types". Love it.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    I guess the returning subtype is class. Technically not its first return because there was a single class card in Battle for Baldur's Gate.

• Options
    destroyah87destroyah87 They/Them Preferred: She/Her - Please UseRegistered User regular
    edited July 9
    Cool! More Otters!

I like the new mechanics. Offspring most of all.

also, yes Ward is a really cool mechanic and I love that it's getting more and more costs.

Izzit Otter Commander deck incoming in my future! would probably rule 0 conversation a version with Lutri, the Spellchaser in the 99, but also have a different card ready to swap.

destroyah87 on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Sir FabulousSir Fabulous Malevolent Squid God Registered User regular
    edited July 9
    Polaritie wrote: »
    "Other creatures are Food in addition to their other types". Love it.

Yeah, my thoughts as I read the card were:

"That's weird, this card is going to randomly be way harder to remove for some decks than others.

Oh. Oh!

Oh nice, cool design."

*Looks back at the name again*
    "Hell yes. Top-to-bottom masterpiece."

Sir Fabulous on
    pickup-sig.php?name=Orthanc

Switch Friend Code: SW-1406-1275-7906
  • Options
    CururuCururu Registered User regular
    There appear to be at least four new legendary frogs in this set. My goal to have a commander deck for a version of each legendary frog just expanded 🐸.

On the plus side, Flubs seems really interesting to build around.

• Options
    SLyMSLyM Registered User regular
    When they were showing some card art earlier in the video one of the names was "shrike force" which is a great name for a card.

My friend is working on a roguelike game you can play if you want to. (It has free demo)
  • Options
    VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    Peewi wrote: »
    I guess the returning subtype is class. Technically not its first return because there was a single class card in Battle for Baldur's Gate.

First Standard-legal return counts.

• Options
    SonelanSonelan Registered User regular
    Ok serious question. Does every non RDW deck have 1 and 2 cost mana boosters? Every game today has been people spamming them and its like goddamn.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    edited July 9
    It depends on what format you are playing. You are more likely to see ramp in Brawl, and most non-green decks in 60 card formats aren’t going to play much ramp besides specific exceptions or like, Dark Ritual in Timeless.

milski on
    I ate an engineer
  • Options
    Past couple days its either been RDW decks or decks that play delighted halfling and such cards in ranked alchemy.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    RawrBearRawrBear Registered User regular
    Bloom-burrow looking upsettingly fun. I haven't really spent money on a new set since like, kamagawa, but this is going to get me pretty badly hah.

• Options

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    Can't wait to make a bunch of adorable baby critters with the offpsring mechanic and then be very upset when they all get massacred by some horrible demonic board wipe

• Options
    The frogs being bounce archetype is inspired

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    I am kinda worried I am going down a magic collecting hole now. I bought the mothman fallout deck abit ago, and now I want a couple of the Bloom-burrow sets. I don't want to become one of those magic players with 20 decks :(

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    Can't wait to make a bunch of adorable baby critters with the offpsring mechanic and then be very upset when they all get massacred by some horrible demonic board wipe eaten by an Elemental Cat

ftfy

• Options
    Also I just beat the currently 15th ranked player in alchemy ranked and they decided to do the once they are gonna lose let the clocks run out instead of conceding or letting it go through. So I guess even the high tier players get super salty?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular
    This set looks awesome, gonna echo others that this is the most excited I've been about magic in a while!

Grabbed a regular box and a collectors.

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    edited July 9
    Sonelan wrote: »
    Also I just beat the currently 15th ranked player in alchemy ranked and they decided to do the once they are gonna lose let the clocks run out instead of conceding or letting it go through. So I guess even the high tier players get super salty?

There are top ranked streamers that regularly get sniped by others to look at their hands on stream and salt rope them.

I'm assuming you haven't watched/ played a lot of other competitive games? Because dear lord the things people will do/say even knowing they are at the top ranks and visible to others on a stream is wild.

Watch some high ranked league of legends games sometime. It's constant salt, griefing and trolling.

DemonStacey on
  • Options

There are top ranked streamers that regularly get sniped by others to look at their hands on stream and salt rope them.

I'm assuming you haven't watched/ played a lot of other competitive games? Because dear lord the things people will do/say even knowing they are at the top ranks and visible to others on a stream is wild.

Watch some high ranked league of legends games sometime. It's constant salt, griefing and trolling.

I don't really watch much gaming at all. I would rather be playing something than watching someone else play. I also had to particularly make myself stop playing LoL and Dota2 for a long time because I was very competitive and didn't handle it well. So I get people being salty its something I in particular have had to work on and can still have issues with. But I dislike people wasting other people's time for no reason alot.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    IlpalaIlpala Just this guy, y'know TexasRegistered User regular
    edited July 9
    I am sad because this adorable little bunny is just terrible. What an awful card.

GSD56lQaUAIuPq7?format=jpg&name=small

Ilpala on
    FF XIV - Qih'to Furishu (on Siren), Battle.Net - Ilpala#1975
    Switch - SW-7373-3669-3011
    Fuck Joe Manchin
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular

I don't really watch much gaming at all. I would rather be playing something than watching someone else play. I also had to particularly make myself stop playing LoL and Dota2 for a long time because I was very competitive and didn't handle it well. So I get people being salty its something I in particular have had to work on and can still have issues with. But I dislike people wasting other people's time for no reason alot.

Yea there's just this thing across online gaming where if there's a way to waste other people's time... players will do it.

And it sucks.

And a big reason I have weened off of every multiplayer game online. Too many people are just jerks.

• Options
    SLyMSLyM Registered User regular
    Ilpala wrote: »
    I am sad because this adorable little bunny is just terrible. What an awful card.

GSD56lQaUAIuPq7?format=jpg&name=small

card is only payable in commander and only if everyone isn't playing particularly good decks

My friend is working on a roguelike game you can play if you want to. (It has free demo)
  • Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    it's also specifically the face commander for the Group Hug precon - if giving opponents cards isn't your style, that probably isn't the deck for you

• Options
    IlpalaIlpala Just this guy, y'know TexasRegistered User regular
    I guess, but even taking that into account, this can't be the rate for it, can it? A 4-mana 1/5 where you only break even if you can get to and limit yourself to two spells a turn?

FF XIV - Qih'to Furishu (on Siren), Battle.Net - Ilpala#1975
    Switch - SW-7373-3669-3011
    Fuck Joe Manchin
  • Options

I wouldn't assume they were deliberately letting the clocks run down - if someone disconnects/closes the client it keeps the game going to give them time to reconnect in case it was accidental, and from the other player's perspective it looks a lot like they're stalling.

not that rage quitting is necessarily that much better when they could concede first, but they're not necessarily sitting there actively wasting your time

• Options
    HamHamJHamHamJ Registered User regular
    Seems like a perfectly fine commander to me.

While racing light mechs, your Urbanmech comes in second place, but only because it ran out of ammo.
  • Options
    Ilpala wrote: »
    I guess, but even taking that into account, this can't be the rate for it, can it? A 4-mana 1/5 where you only break even if you can get to and limit yourself to two spells a turn?

The math is somewhat different in 4-player games, where you pick who you want to give those cards to, and for grouphug strategies giving opponents cards isn't a drawback, but additional upside. "If I cast 2 spells I can give 2 cards to opponents, *and* draw two myself, and I get to put counters on a couple things?" Its not necessarily purely charity in those cases, the deck might have cards that benefit them when an opponent draws, like Psychic Possession which would make the above read "opponent draws 2, I draw 4", or The Council of Four. Or they might just use those free cards to make political deals, help the table dig for answers to an archenemy that's about to win, etc.

either way, grouphug degenerates evaluate things differently from the rest of us

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    it's for a certain kind of sicko, and the deck will likely be filled with cards that support that kind of sicko's strategies. those sickos rarely get cards for themselves, so i'll permit it

liEt3nH.png
  • Options

I wouldn't assume they were deliberately letting the clocks run down - if someone disconnects/closes the client it keeps the game going to give them time to reconnect in case it was accidental, and from the other player's perspective it looks a lot like they're stalling.

not that rage quitting is necessarily that much better when they could concede first, but they're not necessarily sitting there actively wasting your time

Oh I know that its why I don't assume it all the time. But if they are playing fast up until I do something that will win me the game and THEN all of a sudden they start letting the counters come down? Yea then I feel fine in assuming they are being dicks.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    So what kinda deck is that 1/5 card for? Cause I kinda want to play it.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited July 9
    It's for Group Hug decks, a specific archetype in Commander built around doing things that help your opponents and (optionally) yourself. These decks are generally very weak, and some people love them (woo, free resources for me!) while other people hate them (boo, the game devolves into who can take the most advantage of broken symmetrical effects/gifts). You can't play it on Arena.

milski on
    I ate an engineer
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Oh hey, they're doing good cards for Bloomburrow store championships. Too bad it's going to probably be Standard-only still! (Shark Typhoon and lol textless Urza's Saga)

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    I’d probably throw in stuff that triggers when an opponent draws extra cards (ex: Faerie Mastermind, Consecrated Sphinx, Psychic Possession, Wedding Ring, Leela, Sevateem Warrior, Smothering Tithe)

• Options
    edited July 9
    I'm wondering what a good win condition would be. Because drawing two for casting two spells is actually kind of broken. If you could come up with two cards that pay for themselves and put themselves back on top of the deck, you have an infinite combo that kills everyone by decking.

EDIT: I guess it may actually need to be four cards because the draw 2 will always resolve before resolving the second spell.

HamHamJ on
    While racing light mechs, your Urbanmech comes in second place, but only because it ran out of ammo.
  • Options
    edited July 9
    Drawing two cards for casting two spells is not particularly incredible, and you also need one of the cards in the loop to be flickering her because the ability will have resolved twice at that point. It's also, obviously, incredibly soft to disruption since you're putting your opponents decks in their hands.

If you want to do infinite draw to kill your opponent, Selvala already exists.

milski on
    I ate an engineer
  • Options
    Good point that it's just the second time, not every other time.

• Options
    VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    milski wrote: »
    You can't play it on Arena.

While that seems to be true for Bloomburrow, other sets have definitely had face commanders appear on the Mastery Track rewards.

• Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    With any card draw group hug, you're taking a lot of risks, especially if you're giving them multiple cards per turn. It does work great with off-turn card draw effects like Alandra, Sky dreamer; Detective of the Month; etc, since you can just cast two cantrips or two control or bounce spells and trigger the double draw, and you love stuff like Psychosis Crawler to burn the table out or even just Teferi's Ageless Insight and Alhammaret's Archive to draw your whole deck and win via Lab Maniac (or Thoracle, or Jace, or what have you)

Group hug decks are all about breaking parity. I think breaking parity on this will depend on if you can get those draw triggers out and capitalize, and tbh if you can force opponents to mass draw and remove any of their hand limit removers that helps a lot too.