As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Jack Thompson Notices Manhunt 2 on Wii. Here we go...

victor_c26victor_c26 Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
edited June 2007 in Games and Technology
Article wrote:
M-rated games coming to the Wii are expected to be criticized and contested. Manhunt 2, in particular, is receiving much word from anti-game lawyers. In an interview by Fox News, Florida Attorney General Bill McCollum talked about the game's Wii version requiring players to slash and stab using the Wiimote.

When talking about violent video games and lawyers, it's almost inevitable to include Jack Thompson's name. This time, he's the one who sparked the issue by sending a letter to McCollum and Florida Governor Charlie Crist. The letter said:

"Florida retailers are scheduled to sell a very violent video game called Manhunt 2 which will be available, remarkably, for “play” on the kids-friendly Nintendo Wii gaming platform. The Wii device does not utilize traditional push button game controllers but instead utilizes hand-held motion capture devices… It is a training device."

Let's not go into the idea that JT is looking for backup on his endeavors. Crist still haven't taken a position, but McCollum took the story. The interview with him expressing concerns is expected to be aired sometime before Manhunt 2's July 9 release.

Like what he did with Bully, Thompson is already suggesting beforehand that the game be considered public nuisance. How he contests a game he probably knows nothing about aside from a few screenshots and videos, we may never know. Heck, it's not even out yet - same reason why his attempts against Bully failed. Who knows if a harmless game like Trauma Center would have doctors poking each other's eyes out if nobody played it yet?

Meanwhile, McCollum's office took notice of the fuzz. His Press Secretary sent Game Politics a letter that read:

"Attorney General Bill McCollum is concerned about any games which may instill violence in children, particularly games that encourage children to engage in violent behavior, even in simulation. He believes it is important to help protect children from influences which may introduce violence into their lives and stresses the importance of parental involvement in the efforts to keep these influences out of our homes and away from our families."

Looks like Super Smash Brothers Brawl will take some heat too, since it encourages kids to beat the crap out of their friends and throw them out the stage. Nintendo is not fazed, stating that games simply have different audiences just like movies, televisions, and books. Don't let the kids touch Manhunt 2, problem solved.

Link

So the parental misplaced-anger heat is now rearing it's headlights on the Wii. I don't know whether to bury my face between my hands, or acknowledge the fact that the Wii will now get much more "Mature" publicity.

EDIT: Gamepolitics article: Link
Is Manhunt 2 worse on the Wii?

GamePolitics has confirmed via multiple sources that Florida Attorney General Bill McCollum (R) has expressed concern over the impending release of Rockstar’s controversial game on Nintendo’s next-gen console.

For McCollum, the issue seems to be the use of the Wii’s motion-sensitive controller. It is widely anticipated that players will be required to simulate slashing, stabbing or clubbing motions in order to play Manhunt 2 on Nintendo’s popular system.

McCollum apparently said as much in an on-camera interview Monday with Fox News reporter Orlando Salinas. The interview hasn’t aired so far. It was originally slated to run this evening, but late yesterday Salinas told GamePolitics he thought it might run closer to Manhunt 2’s July 9th release date.

Among those interviewed by Salinas for the report was anti-game attorney Jack Thompson, who has been beating the drum about Manhunt 2 - and especially the Wii version - for several weeks. A Thompson letter sent to both McCollum and Florida Governor Charlie Crist (R) on May 12th read in part:

"Florida retailers are scheduled to sell a very violent video game called Manhunt 2 which will be available, remarkably, for “play” on the kids-friendly Nintendo Wii gaming platform.

The Wii device does not utilize traditional push button game controllers but instead utilizes hand-held motion capture devices… It is a training device."

Despite several calls to his office, it remains unclear whether or not Gov. Crist will take a position on Manhunt 2. However, it would appear that Jack Thompson has gotten the Florida Attorney General’s attention.

According to our sources, A.G. McCollum is not focusing at all on the PS2 or PSP versions of the game. Instead, McCollum is looking into the Wii version due to its motion-controlled simulation of violence. “That’s where they’re kicking up their heels,” one source said.

In February of this year GamePolitics asked Nintendo officials if they were concerned about potential backlash over Manhunt 2’s appearance on the Wii. Beth Llewelyn, Sr. Director of Corporate Communications told GP at the time:

"Manhunt 2 is not developed or published by Nintendo. It is one of many titles released by third party publishers for our system that appeal to people of all ages and interests. Just as with movies, television, and books, different video games appeal to - and are appropriate for - different audiences."

A knowledgable video game industry source has told GamePolitics that Nintendo actively pursued a Wii version of Manhunt 2.

"[Nintendo exec] Reggie [Fils-Aime] spent a fair amount of time soliciting [former Take Two CEO] Paul Eibeler to get the game on the Wii… Reggie did it to introduce more M-rated content, as he was afraid too many people would pigeon-hole [the Wii] as a kid machine."

It is unknown what - if any - official action A.G. McCollum might take. Florida has no video game law on the books and Manhunt 2, violent though it may be, would appear to enjoy the same constitutional protections afforded to other games.

For his part, Thompson has urged Gov. Crist and Attorney General McCollum to have Manhunt 2 declared a public nuisance under Florida law. But the anti-game attorney tried - and failed - with that legal gambit in his 2006 bid to block distribution of another Rockstar game, Bully.

UPDATE: GP has received the following comment from A.G. McCollum’s Press Secretary:

"Attorney General Bill McCollum is concerned about any games which may instill violence in children, particularly games that encourage children to engage in violent behavior, even in simulation. He believes it is important to help protect children from influences which may introduce violence into their lives and stresses the importance of parental involvement in the efforts to keep these influences out of our homes and away from our families."

hmv_manhunt.jpg

It's been so long since I've posted here, I've removed my signature since most of what I had here were broken links. Shows over, you can carry on to the next post.
victor_c26 on

• Options
    MahnmutMahnmut Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Nintendo is not fazed, stating that games simply have different audiences just like movies, televisions, and books. Don't let the kids touch Manhunt 2, problem solved.

Is there really anything more to say at this point?

Mahnmut on
    Steam/LoL: Jericho89
  • Options
    DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Didn't part of his settlement with TakeTwo stipulate that he wasn't allowed to try and have their games declared as public nusiances or otherwise illegal again?

Also, doesn't the Wii have parental controls that run by the ESRB rating?

Bah, who gives a damn anymore. Nobody's taking him seriously as a lawyer since the near-miss with jail time, even in the mainstream media.

Daedalus on
  • Options
    DeadlySherpaDeadlySherpa Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    This is what nintendo was looking for. After this is done they should send jack thompson a letter and ask him how it feels to be a pawn of the video game industry to increase sales.

DeadlySherpa on
    tf2_sig.png
  • Options
    ScrumtrulescentScrumtrulescent Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Yeah, the Wii has parental controls.

Scrumtrulescent on
  • Options
    agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Isn't JT not allowed to talk about rockstar/Take2 anymore?

agoaj on
    ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    agoaj wrote: »

so he seems to be making Nintendo and the Wii his new target.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I wanna win the lottery. So I can put PSAs up that denounce the crazy man.

SniperGuy on
  • Options
    YodaTunaYodaTuna Registered User regular
    edited June 2007

He can't take them to court anymore.

YodaTuna on
  • Options
    TubularLuggageTubularLuggage Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    darleysam wrote: »

With a Rockstar title published by Take Two...

TubularLuggage on
  • Options
    bruinbruin Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    CAN WE PLEASE STOP MAKING THREADS ABOUT JACK THOMPSON

Seriously, nobody talks about him except us. If he is ignored he will go away.

bruin on
  • Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Maybe the world will be a better place when people realize that video games are not just for kids.

Axen on
    A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    TheCrumblyCrackerTheCrumblyCracker Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Waggle the Wiimote across at eye level to slash your opponents throat!
    This game sounds fun, can't wait to waggle with it TBH.

TheCrumblyCracker on
  • Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited June 2007

It'll even help train me to commit real murders! By simulating them!

LewieP on
  • Options
    AiranAiran Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    LewieP wrote: »

It'll even help train me to commit real murders! By simulating them!

Perform the perfect neck slice by adjusting your pressure and speed when moving the blade across! :^:

Airan on
    paDudSig.jpg
  • Options
    Tw4winTw4win Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    This thread makes me want to donate money in Jack's name to Videogamevoters.org

Tw4win on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Tw4win wrote: »
    This thread makes me want to donate money in Jack's name to Videogamevoters.org

My plan is working. :wink:

victor_c26 on
    It's been so long since I've posted here, I've removed my signature since most of what I had here were broken links. Shows over, you can carry on to the next post.
  • Options
    Drunk_caterpillarDrunk_caterpillar Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    bruin wrote: »

I do not subscribe to this school of thought.

So what's the deal about that sticker on the Manhunt boxes?

Drunk_caterpillar on
  • Options
    MarathonMarathon Registered User regular
    edited June 2007

yeah, but to do that he is attacking Manhunt 2 and Rockstar.

This, like most of Jacks complaints can all be solved be the simple act of parents actually spending 5 minutes looking into the games their children want to play.

Seriously. Even the most inept parent could type "manhunt 2" into google and know in 15 seconds what this game is about.

Marathon on
  • Options
    CarnivoreCarnivore Registered User regular
    edited June 2007

Carnivore on
    hihi.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2007

I do not subscribe to this school of thought.

So what's the deal about that sticker on the Manhunt boxes?

I remember it being a store worker being funny. It originated in the UK I think.

victor_c26 on
  • Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007

With a Rockstar title published by Take Two...

well yeah, i mean, he's going after them in a round-about way. He can't directly take them to court, so instead his angle seems to be shifting to "so, how 'bout them Rockstar games.. ON THE WII"

but yea, the less said about 'craaaazy ole jack', the better.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    poshnialloposhniallo Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    This ignoring thing - first off, he's not candyman, you know. He despises gamers, so he's unlikely to care whether we talk about him. He's extremely unlikely to disappear if we stop talking about him.

As far as I can see, the best thing that could happen with JT and fame would be if non-gamers (parents of gaming children, mainstream news outlets etc) got to know his name, and his fanaticism. Then, when JT is doing his thing, it might not be 'an expert on game-related violence is saying this game is bad' but instead 'that Jack Thompson nut is saying Pacman kills babies, again.'

This would be a good thing, right?

Every time there's a discussion about something media-related that people don't like - JT, Sony Marketing etc - someone always chips in with 'if we don't discuss it, it will just disappear'. Could you walk me through the chain of reasoning there? Coz I don't get it.

poshniallo on
    I figure I could take a bear.
  • Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    edited June 2007

If no one talks about him but us, then we've won, and there's no harm in discussing his hilarious antics.

Delzhand on
  • Options
    Gorilla SaladGorilla Salad Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I need popcorn. This is gonna be almost as good as hot fuzz!

Gorilla Salad on
  • Options
    DarlanDarlan Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    To be honest, I'm not terribly hot about kids making chocking/stabbing/etc motions in a game like Manhunt either. Of course, it all goes back to "parenting parenting lol."

Darlan on
  • Options
    ScrabbleDudeScrabbleDude Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Darlan wrote: »
    To be honest, I'm not terribly hot about kids making chocking/stabbing/etc motions in a game like Manhunt either. Of course, it all goes back to "parenting parenting lol."
    Fortunately for kids this game is M rated.

ScrabbleDude on
  • Options
    AndorienAndorien Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Darlan wrote: »
    Fortunately for kids this game is M rated.

And as for the whole monitoring your kids thing, the Wii has parental controls, so there really is no issue.

Andorien on
  • Options
    Original RufusOriginal Rufus Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Every time I see that Sessler versus Thompson video, I can't help but think Sessler could have been much more persuasive had he taken some Aderol prior to appearing.

It's hard to call someone else's position "insane" if you can't stop twitching and sputtering.

Original Rufus on
  • Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    edited June 2007
    Every time I see that Sessler versus Thompson video, I can't help but think Sessler could have been much more persuasive had he taken some Aderol prior to appearing.

It's hard to call someone else's position "insane" if you can't stop twitching and sputtering.
    I agree entirely. Someone needed to be there who had the facade of being as calm as Jacko was, yet say everything Sessler said.

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    _J__J_ Pedant Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2007
    Carnivore wrote: »

_J_ on
  • Options
    apotheosapotheos Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2007
    Delzhand wrote: »

If no one talks about him but us, then we've won, and there's no harm in discussing his hilarious antics.

That is not how attention whores work.

And Jack, see, Jack is an attention whore.

apotheos on

猿も木から落ちる
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Lets have a Democracy Party!

I've added a poll on if we should ban Jack Thompson news threads. This would be
    a) only from Games and Technology,
    b) actually just require that Jack Thompson threads get preapproval from a mod, and that the new better be fucking interesting or the answer is no.

Just in case someone on the mod team hates this idea I reserve the right to disregard the poll results, of course.

apotheos on

猿も木から落ちる
  • Options
    SceptreSceptre Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I don't know. After thinking about it for a while, the whole violent game issue on the Wii does seem to get more complicated than on a console with a gamepad.

I mean, even if adults are playing the game, it seems to me to be significantly more violent to have them do the stabbing motions themselves. The psychological effect it might have is different.

And even though we don't want it to happen, a game like this WILL end up in the hands of some children. Normally I side with the camp of "It's not actually close enough to real life, you don't use thumbsticks to kill people.", but this seems like it could be an altogether different argument.

Sceptre on
  • Options
    CaedereCaedere S'no regrets BIRDIESRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I'm of the opinion that if Jack Thompson threads annoy you then don't post in 'em.

I'd rather be able to discuss the issues or hear about what's going on than have no discussion at all.

The man won't go away just because some videogame forum decides to stop talking about him, you know. :P

Caedere on
    FWnykYl.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Sceptre wrote: »
    I mean, even if adults are playing the game, it seems to me to be significantly more violent to have them do the stabbing motions themselves. The psychological effect it might have is different.

Who gives a fuck if it does?

They have an uninfringable legal right to produce it, and I have one to buy it.

apotheos on

猿も木から落ちる
  • Options
    bruinbruin Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Caedere wrote: »
    I'm of the opinion that if Jack Thompson threads annoy you then don't post in 'em.
    Reading them and posting in them isn't what pisses me off, it's the fact that they exist in the first place. I think the man is better left ignored completely.

bruin on
  • Options
    DjiemDjiem Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Jack Thompson doesn't read this forum, or other forums.
    The fact that we laugh at his expense or not doesn't change anything, about anything, anywhere, at any time.
    I say, let's keep these threads in. They're an easy laugh.

Djiem on
  • Options
    MarlorMarlor Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I can see a spate of Wii-inspired muggings happening as a result of this game.

Delinquents will run up to their victims and wave a Wiimote in their face, and do thrusting movements in their general direction. Then they will wonder why their victim takes no damage.

Marlor on
    Mario Kart Wii: 1332-8060-5236 (Aaron)
  • Options
    ZackSchillingZackSchilling Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Eh, I think the threads are funny. It's not like we're putting him on Fox News or handing him money to fund his litigation. He might be an attention whore, but giving him attention in these threads isn't going to translate to any sort or real-world damage or furthering of his cause.

ZackSchilling on
    ghost-robot.jpg
  • Options
    WrenWren ninja_bird Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I'm always interested in learning about the newest adventures of JT. This forum is really my only source of VG news

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
    TF2 - Wren BF3: Wren-fu