Options

A concise four-hour summary: [YouTube], Nebula, and video essays

RatherDashing89RatherDashing89 Registered User regular
Apropos of nothing, without any specific video in mind, I'd love to talk about YouTube. This forum has a level of insight into media discussion that I sure ain't getting in the YouTube comments, and since video essays probably outweigh any other type of media in terms of my personal consumption, I figure there's a lot we could talk about. As I'm always looking for more creators to follow, feel free to recommend creators or individual videos.

Discussion about individual videos is absolutely fair game, or more broad discussion of the media itself.

Nebula is, to my thinking, so closely tied to the video essay landscape that it's fair game too.

This is not exclusively video essays, as YouTube a lot of other great content too. Video Essays seem to be the standout right now, but we can (and should) absolutely talk about skit channels, YTP, Bully McGuire, and Steamed Hams.

Some questions to get us started...

-How long is too long? Are the super long essays a sign of thorough research and willingness to dive into a topic, or a sign of poor editing and self control?

-What about these skits and framing devices? Do they break up technical topics to make them more entertaining or distract from the research? How do you feel about reviews done "in character"? Is every YouTuber "in character"?

-Do all the YouTubers actually know each other? I hear their voices doing line readings and have to assume so.

-Is breadtube referring to something about communists and bread, or does "bread" just rhyme with "left"?

-Do you prefer videos that explain the context clearly or that winkingly refer to other videos and creators with the assumption that you've seen them?

-Why isn't ThoughtSlime more popular? And if you haven't found ThoughtSlime, please go watch them.

• Options
    jmcdonaldjmcdonald I voted, did you? DC(ish)Registered User regular
    I’m not a huge YouTube consumer but what little I do watch falls into the “restore/fix shit” and “gardening/bonsai” buckets.

David easterbrook is a great channel. I like wristwatch revival as well.

• Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    I'm the exact brand of freak who sees a 5 hour video by someone like Noah Caldwell-Gervais and goes "HELL YES, WORKDAY IS SORTED, PUT IT IN MY VEINS!"

Someone poke Tim Rogers into making videos again.

There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    How do you feel about reviews done "in character"? Is every YouTuber "in character"?

Not actually a reviewer, but one guy I like is Milo Rossi. He's an archaeologist who makes videos debunking various conspiracy theories. In his most recent one addressing a specific conspiracy theorist, he states outright that in any video made for entertainment the person is playing a character. Even if it's just an exaggerated version of themselves, himself included.

By default a lot of YouTubers aren't "real" people. They're a person they want viewers to see. Whether in or "out" of character, while on screen they put a lot of effort into presenting precisely what they want. It's something I've come to appreciate when watching videos now.

• Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Roaming the streets, waving his mod gun around.Moderator, ClubPA Mod Emeritus
    Me: 2.5 hour movie, ain't nobody got time for that shit

Also me: Jenny Nicholson just dropped a four hour video about the failure of some weird obscure theme park, inject it into my veins.

I think the existence of (successful) extremely long video essays is proof that there's no such thing as "too long" if the quality is there. The likes of Nicholson or Dan Olsen or hbomberguy routinely drop extremely long but extremely thoughtful and well researched essays that I can't get enough of.

To the extent I have a complaint, it's that I would rather watch a one hour essay 4 times per year than a 4 hour essay once per year, but that's mostly because I don't like waiting.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    GyralGyral Registered User regular
    Yeah, I'll complain about 10 minute videos and then watch a 6-part 4-hour sports documentary by Jon Bois about the Seattle Mariners.

25t9pjnmqicf.jpg
  • Options
    That's one of the reasons I like ThoughtSlime. Even though they don't release on an exact schedule, they do release often and still stick to a roughly half hour format. I like the super long videos too, but some of my favorite creators release so infrequently that even following a bunch of them, I wind up with a week or two where nothing new comes out. I'd rather they release a bit more often and not try to make everything be a magnum opus. I appreciate that quality research takes time and of course those milestone videos are very memorable, but a channel that can consistently put out decent videos is kinda more valuable for both entertainment and education.

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Apropos of nothing, without any specific video in mind, I'd love to talk about YouTube. This forum has a level of insight into media discussion that I sure ain't getting in the YouTube comments, and since video essays probably outweigh any other type of media in terms of my personal consumption, I figure there's a lot we could talk about. As I'm always looking for more creators to follow, feel free to recommend creators or individual videos.

Discussion about individual videos is absolutely fair game, or more broad discussion of the media itself.

Nebula is, to my thinking, so closely tied to the video essay landscape that it's fair game too.

This is not exclusively video essays, as YouTube a lot of other great content too. Video Essays seem to be the standout right now, but we can (and should) absolutely talk about skit channels, YTP, Bully McGuire, and Steamed Hams.

Some questions to get us started...

-How long is too long? Are the super long essays a sign of thorough research and willingness to dive into a topic, or a sign of poor editing and self control?

-What about these skits and framing devices? Do they break up technical topics to make them more entertaining or distract from the research? How do you feel about reviews done "in character"? Is every YouTuber "in character"?

-Do all the YouTubers actually know each other? I hear their voices doing line readings and have to assume so.

-Is breadtube referring to something about communists and bread, or does "bread" just rhyme with "left"?

-Do you prefer videos that explain the context clearly or that winkingly refer to other videos and creators with the assumption that you've seen them?

-Why isn't ThoughtSlime more popular? And if you haven't found ThoughtSlime, please go watch them.

To answer some of these questions:

* Yes, every YouTuber is "in character", because the presentation of oneself in media is inherently mediated. (This was the point behind Dan Olsen's recent video that was ostensibly about James Rolfe.)
    *On skits/framing devices - in general I'm neutral on the concept, but it's also a case by case thing - some are good (like Red's "sitting room"), while others can range from distracting to outright harmful.
    * YouTubers are professionals, and thus professional connections are not surprising. Though for the most part ties tend to be within smaller professional communities, outside of the big names (like the Green brothers.)

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    edited July 1
    also,

there was that time they went on the warpath accusing another youtuber of running a "sex cult", was instantly refuted, and never backed down or apologized for the allegations.

So there's that. Doesn't seem like a nice person.

Raiden333 on
  • Options
    Raiden333 wrote: »
    also,

there was that time he went on the warpath accusing another youtuber of running a "sex cult", was instantly refuted, and never backed down or apologized for the allegations.

So there's that. Doesn't seem like a nice person.

I don't want to dismiss things out of hand, but I am so burned by the Lindsay Ellis nonsense that I have a very hard time getting worked up over stuff YouTubers supposedly do outside their videos because every piece of information I can get about them is colored by bad faith and assumptions and referring back to this or that thing that someone may or may not have said.

In their videos, they seem like a nice person. Maybe it's all fake, I know everything is characters, these people are not my friends. But their advice and handling of topics is so consistently helpful and applicable for me, who like ThoughtSlime, basically joined the internet as a typical scumbag thoughtless dude and am now trying to work out what I think. They present things with a lot more compassion and reasonableness than I usually see even among other breadtubers.

I'm not saying you are not telling the truth about what they did. As I said, anything I can find out about this is being presented by someone who has already made up their mind entirely and the whole thing reeks of the factionalism and rushing to judgment that screwed over Lindsay Ellis so hard. And honestly, even if it's exactly as you say, while I don't think it's good to not retract something that is shown to be untrue, if they just left it alone and didn't bring it up again then it still seems like getting mad over something that's in the past. Not that that's always a bad thing, it's just not really my thing.

Eh, I probably don't have much more to add there. The videos are well made and I appreciate the perspective they seem to be coming from. They are presented in a voice that I don't see much else of in the space.

• Options
    RE: Skits. I think breaking up a video with something funny is good. With someone like hbomberguy it's what you expect and it fits the manic tone of the topics pretty well. Others, I think it can detract from the informative nature of the video: I think there's a handful of videos that would probably be shown in schools if they didn't intersperse some wild weirdness.

I also think the channels that have been around for awhile can go a bit too abstract. Dan Olsen and Philosophy Tube in particular will do a hard cut from the conversation to do some weird bit that I'm just not enough of a big brain to understand. The James Rolfe one made sense but sometimes I'm just not following, which is a shame because both channels seem to pride themselves on making accessible content. But they'll go into some visual metaphor without really signposting what it represents, and I'm just enough of a dummy that I miss what they're on about. It doesn't happen too often but I think sometimes they overthink those bits.

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited July 1
    Quid wrote: »
    How do you feel about reviews done "in character"? Is every YouTuber "in character"?

Not actually a reviewer, but one guy I like is Milo Rossi. He's an archaeologist who makes videos debunking various conspiracy theories. In his most recent one addressing a specific conspiracy theorist, he states outright that in any video made for entertainment the person is playing a character. Even if it's just an exaggerated version of themselves, himself included.

By default a lot of YouTubers aren't "real" people. They're a person they want viewers to see. Whether in or "out" of character, while on screen they put a lot of effort into presenting precisely what they want. It's something I've come to appreciate when watching videos now.

Yeah. The youtube/tiktok/whatever style is the illusion of authenticity or lack of presentation. That's been the appeal since the beginning. These are just real people, filming whatever. But it is still an illusion.

shryke on
  • Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    Kevin and Jacques are real and I’m gonna buy a house in their neighborhood and be garden buddies with them

• Options
    also, for recommendations, I got recommended this gal recently by the algorithm, she seems great based on the few videos I've watched from her so far. First one that I watched from her is her video essay on the topic of expecting people to be able to cook being classist.

https://www.youtube.com/@hootsyoutube/videos

• Options
    Raiden333 wrote: »
    also, for recommendations, I got recommended this gal recently by the algorithm, she seems great based on the few videos I've watched from her so far. First one that I watched from her is her video essay on the topic of expecting people to be able to cook being classist.

https://www.youtube.com/@hootsyoutube/videos

Got around to watching her (went with the Dirtbag Left video) and I really appreciate the recommendation. I like the super manic energy of an hbomberguy as much as anyone, but I also really appreciate calmer videos that have some introspection.

Maybe that goes back to the whole "parasocial" thing, but honestly I like when creators talk about their own struggles with doing the right thing and it doesn't really matter to me if its all made up or whatever because the points are real. I don't think any of these people are my friends, and I understand they cannot and should not be putting their entire selves into their public persona. But that doesn't mean that they aren't an actual person and even if it turned out that they are completely inauthentic, the points they make stand either way.

• Options
    HerrCronHerrCron It that wickedly supports taxation Registered User regular
    Perhaps (probably) a minority opinion but anything over 40 minutes can get t'fuck.

Now Playing:
    Celeste [Switch] - She'll be wrestling with inner demons when she comes...
  • Options
    SixSix Caches Tweets in the mainframe cyberhex Registered User regular
    Youtube is at this point, weirdly, the only streaming service I pay for and in the last couple of months I've, weirdly, really gotten into these long form video essays like ones from hbomberguy and Jenny Nicholson. They're fantastic and a nice change from more traditional (for me) content. I was super into RLM's Episode I video when it dropped ages ago, and I think the format in general offers a lot to people who are passionate about a topic.

I'm very, very wary of exposing myself to too much of this without it being recommended by others I trust, though, because—especially on topics of importants like vaccines and Star Wars—it's important not to go down a crazy person rabbit hole.

can you feel the struggle within?
  • Options
    Space PickleSpace Pickle Registered User regular
    I love LGR videos.

• Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User, Moderator mod
    Six wrote: »
    Youtube is at this point, weirdly, the only streaming service I pay for and in the last couple of months I've, weirdly, really gotten into these long form video essays like ones from hbomberguy and Jenny Nicholson. They're fantastic and a nice change from more traditional (for me) content. I was super into RLM's Episode I video when it dropped ages ago, and I think the format in general offers a lot to people who are passionate about a topic.

I'm very, very wary of exposing myself to too much of this without it being recommended by others I trust, though, because—especially on topics of importants like vaccines and Star Wars—it's important not to go down a crazy person rabbit hole.

OMG, a wild Six appears.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    Six wrote: »

The only other streaming search worth paying for is Dropout

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    I pay for Nebula (which is a weird thing where it's cheaper to buy it through Curiosity Stream then by itself, but that deal may be ending, I'm not sure). Almost all of the longform breadtubers I watch are on there; I believe I used Jacob Geller's code when I signed up so he got the credit but hopefully the others I follow get some kickback (I guess they are all considered shareholders or something). That's the main reason I use it, although the one helpful feature it has is easily downloading videos. I listen to them in the car and before I had free data, that downloading them was a slight advantage. I know it's kind of weird to treat video essays like a podcast, but honestly most podcasts I have found are way less structured, so essays made for Youtube with minimal emphasis on video end up making better podcasts than the podcasts do.

• Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    I've come to be a fan of 1-4+ hour long video essays, even though I often treat them as really long podcasts while walking the dog, or as background noise as I go to sleep or play games.

HBomberGuy's huge smash Plagiarism video is of course fantastic, and his one on the Roblox Oof sound made me rethink a concert series I enjoy (though they seem to have become allergic to swinging through Toronto so I guess that's not much of an issue).

Dan Olson / Folding Ideas is a great channel with a ton of entertaining takes, some more serious than others. In Search of a Flat Earth, Line Goes Up, This is Financial Advice, The Future is a Dead Mall, and older stuff like his Lukewarm Defense of 50 Shades of Grey trilogy trilogy.

As anyone who regularly peruses the Ukraine conflict thread, Perun has been doing fantastic work in the 45m-1h+ range on a variety of topics. He interjects humour while citing his sources.

Power Pak's almost 2 hour journey into the depths of MyHouse.wad, a Doom map showing that 30 years after its release people are still doing incredible things with (modified versions of) the game and its engine.

Drachinifel's works are often 5-15 minute long tales of the history of various warships (from the age of Ironclads through World War 2 mostly, but more ancient and modern craft are looked over as well), but my favourites are 35-45 minute tales of a war between Russia and Japan; The Russian 2nd Pacific Squadron - Voyage of the Damned, detailing the journey the forces of the former took to get to the latter, and the Battle of Tsushima - When the 2nd Pacific Squadron Thought it Couldn't Get Any Worse.

Suffice to say, I enjoy this style/form of content. Of course, a more concise 10-30 minutes on a game or other topic is fun too. Mandalore Gaming, Boulder Punch, and Power Pak's other works regarding a variety of games are fun background noise or something to watch in a dedicated fashion, and that's before getting into Let's Play style content, which can easily run 10-15+ hours depending on the game, skill of the player, and their goal in what they're sharing, in which case I'd have to shoutout Vash12349, whom I've been watching make things for something like a decade and a half.

Or Jauwn, if you just want a 15-30 or so minutes ripping on Crypto game projects.

Or JoshStrifeHayes for 1+ hour long reviews of various MMOs.

.... man a lot of what I watch/listen to are long form content. I think I might be the anti-tiktoker.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    Well There's Your Problem is another great long form one about engineering disasters (mostly, they touch on related topics as well occasionally)

• Options
    MonwynMonwyn Apathy's a tragedy, and boredom is a crime. A little bit of everything, all of the time.Registered User regular
    CinemaStix does (mostly) ten-minute-ish film crit stuff, overwhelmingly positive, that I really enjoy. Very much how I remember Every Frame A Painting, though it's been long enough since that channel was active I could be mistaken. His most recent video is on how Ridley Scott uses decidedly non-standard blocking and focus to make the Nostromo feel like a real place in Alien.

Movies with Mikey is another film crit channel I really like though I think he's mostly moved over to Nebula.

If you have any interest in sports at all you should check out Jon Bois long-form stuff on the Secret Base channel; I especially recommend his series on Bob Stieb, the best pitcher you've never heard of. For short-form Jomboy Media covers weird highlights weekly with some pretty hilarious commentary, although he is a Yankees fan so there's that.

uH3IcEi.png
  • Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    CinemaStix is great, I just wish they were a little longer. Thomas Flight is also great in this space.

On the photography end I enjoy Steve Perry for wildlife, especially the non-gear-review stuff, Mike Shainblum for landscape, and Courtney Victoria mostly for being chill and doing macro photography.

Technology Connections does some fun deep dives into old and everyday tech, but likes to drag out the secret sauce. The everyday Engineering guy is also pretty good.

• Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    the secret sauce is bimetallic strips

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    edited July 3
    Knight_ wrote: »
    the secret sauce is bimetallic strips

Before there were PID controllers, there were bimetallic strips.

edit: I just kind of tossed that off but in retrospect? No seriously, a bimetallic strip is just a bang-bang analog PID controller when you connect it to an actuator. You can set the setpoint by changing how far it's allowed curl.

Which is why they show up everywhere you'd need a control system!

Orca on
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    I always find I want to like CinemaStix more then I do. The ones I've watched always feel more insubstantial in terms of analysis then I want. Because he picks interesting topics.

Funnily enough for the title, the recent announcement by Every Frame A Painting that it's coming back for a limited run got me watching them again and reminded me how much that channel could pack into a short video.

• Options
    ZibblsnrtZibblsnrt Registered User, Moderator mod
    I pay for Nebula (which is a weird thing where it's cheaper to buy it through Curiosity Stream then by itself, but that deal may be ending, I'm not sure). Almost all of the longform breadtubers I watch are on there; I believe I used Jacob Geller's code when I signed up so he got the credit but hopefully the others I follow get some kickback (I guess they are all considered shareholders or something). That's the main reason I use it, although the one helpful feature it has is easily downloading videos. I listen to them in the car and before I had free data, that downloading them was a slight advantage. I know it's kind of weird to treat video essays like a podcast, but honestly most podcasts I have found are way less structured, so essays made for Youtube with minimal emphasis on video end up making better podcasts than the podcasts do.

Not only is Curiosity ending their deal with Nebula, but they were being scumbags about it and implying/claiming it wasn't for awhile, after telling Nebula it was.

I do like Nebula, mostly because it's a lot of my favorite Youtube people minus having to deal with Youtube. About the only thing I want from them is a bit more finetuning of the captions; I use those on Youtube a lot and prefer them at their smallest setting, so Nebula's feel like they eat a lot of real estate.

• Options
    FANTOMASFANTOMAS Flan ArgentavisRegistered User regular
    A bunch of the essayists that I like post their longer videos on Nebula, so it seems to be right up my alley, but Im not going to be paying for a video service, unless its bundled as a promotion alongside some other, more important service.

Yes, with a quick verbal "boom." You take a man's peko, you deny him his dab, all that is left is to rise up and tear down the walls of Jericho with a ".....not!" -TexiKen
  • Options
    Disco11Disco11 Registered User regular
    Speaking of Essay's, Every Frame a painting posted their first video in +/- 7 years announcing they will be back with more essays and a movie.

They are the gold standard of movie essays in my mind. They LOVE film and filmmakers. My wife had never heard of them and is now hooked with a rewatch in progress.

https://youtu.be/mSlZKdApob0?si=68z5HGwJ5RmmldEY

PSN: Canadian_llama
  • Options
    redxredx I(x)=2(x)+1 whole numbersRegistered User regular
    FANTOMAS wrote: »
    A bunch of the essayists that I like post their longer videos on Nebula, so it seems to be right up my alley, but Im not going to be paying for a video service, unless its bundled as a promotion alongside some other, more important service.

I don't understand not wanting to support content you want as directly as possible or a wider range of content distraction platforms, when currently that is mostly just YouTube ad hell.

They moistly come out at night, moistly.
  • Options
    FANTOMASFANTOMAS Flan ArgentavisRegistered User regular
    edited July 4
    redx wrote: »
    FANTOMAS wrote: »

I don't understand not wanting to support content you want as directly as possible or a wider range of content distraction platforms, when currently that is mostly just YouTube ad hell.

Because I live in Argentina, and buying things in dollars is prohibitive. I use youtube with an ad-block, and I get a bunch of services for free through my ISP, but Nebula is not one of them.

Edit: To illustrate better, in the best case scenario, I would only pay 75% extra in taxes, using offcial change through a bank, and theres a limit to how many dollars you can buy from the national bank. If I buy dollars from a private exchange, like a credit card company or e-wallet, they dont use the artificially deflated dollar price, so I would be paying almost twice as much for the dollars, exchange fees and THEN I would be taxed 75% on that price.

A service that is 5 dollars a month can, for most people, end up costing from 8 to 15+ dollars. Minimum wage is something like $260 a month, average wage is around $400 a month. So most people here dont pay for those services, only for Disney+ or Netflix, IF your ISP doesnt already provides them for free, and most do.

FANTOMAS on
    Yes, with a quick verbal "boom." You take a man's peko, you deny him his dab, all that is left is to rise up and tear down the walls of Jericho with a ".....not!" -TexiKen
  • Options
    Most of the Nebula exclusive stuff is definitely just bonuses, they put the real content on YouTube too. I'd probably do better to support the creators through Patreon but I follow enough people that I'd have a hard time choosing, and my Nebula sub at least nominally benefits all of them.

Lindsay Ellis is the only one I've found that's just on Nebula, and she is the one who basically introduced me to the idea of video essays (back in my misspent youth watching Nostalgia Critic, and I was able to pretty quickly recognize how much better Nostalgia Chick was). Actually, I think her videos may have been my gateway drug into actually giving leftism a chance.

• Options
    furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    I only watch most of these long form essay videos when they are linked to on the forums. I think hbomberguy, jon bois, and folding ideas are the only 3 i am subbed to. The few i watch are interesting and they often have good points, but i think that pretty much all of them could shorten them and get the same impact. If your video is 4 hours then either your scope is too wide or your dive is too deep for one video. Books have chapters for a reason. But then again, i don't consume YouTube content the same way as most of you i think. For me it is the largest DIY instructional manual that has ever existed. I don't really watch TV anymore either so I guess that kind of makes sense.

sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
  • Options
    oh, another recommendation of a video essay channel I never see referenced anywhere: Horses does a ridiculously eclecticly wide range of topics, but always seems to keep me interested:

https://www.youtube.com/@HorsesOnYT/videos

• Options
    SixSix Caches Tweets in the mainframe cyberhex Registered User regular
    One of the reasons I pay for youtube is that a pretty good percentage of what I'm paying goes to the person or people making it.

can you feel the struggle within?
  • Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    edited July 5
    Tying into the Lindsay Ellis convo, she has stealthily returned to YT here and there since the first of the year. If you got 2 hours and interested in an historical and sociological look at Yoko, the break-up of the Beatles, and the assassination of John Lennon (it was originally on Nebula bout 4 months ago)

https://youtu.be/SMOABV_zgrk?si=Jhv18BA7uU3Rxldx

BlackDragon480 on
    No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    Disco11Disco11 Registered User regular
    Technology Connection on youtube count?

Never thought I would learn so much about dishwashers....

PSN: Canadian_llama
  • Options
    Tying into the Lindsay Ellis convo, she has stealthily returned to YT here and there since the first of the year. If you got 2 hours and interested in an historical and sociological look at Yoko, the break-up of the Beatles, and the assassination of John Lennon (it was originally on Nebula bout 4 months ago)

https://youtu.be/SMOABV_zgrk?si=Jhv18BA7uU3Rxldx

Huh, I didn't realize that one made it to YT. That's a good example of a video that manages to stay to the point and still made sense even though I know very little about the Beatles.

Her Guy Fieri video is one of my favorites but I think that was Nebula only.

• Options
    YT how-to videos have been a source of both appreciation and frustration alike more than just about anything else on the internet. Sometimes the video is exactly what I need to figure out how to get my stupid car's stupid headlight open, and other times the videos are just so useless and/or way too long.