Options

examples of good and bad design

crwthcrwth THAT'S ITRegistered User regular
what are you favorite examples of good design and also piss poor dogshit design? be it graphic, architecture, advertising, ui, whatever

EzUAYcn.png

• Options
    A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    9hh1oq5lfznn.png

vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
  • Options
    DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomed CanadaRegistered User regular
    Rockstar game UI

It makes FF14 UI look solid

• Options
    A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    28a3umrvkusn.png

vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
  • Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    The Liberum Veto is pretty bad design

• Options
    DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    okay there's no way the space behind my nose is that big

• Options
    Completely accurate drawing, trust me

vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
  • Options
    ThroThro pgroome@penny-arcade.com Registered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GfUHH7U3lIc
    My Pontiac in highschool had these. Nicknamed the car Sonic and called turning the AC fan up to 4 "Activate the Spin Dash"
    The pun was the only good thing about that car.

Every other car I've been in has had a good vent design: can aim and it stays in place, airflow is good and adjustable, etc. I think it's harder to notice good design, and I think that's part of what makes it good.

• Options
    ThroThro pgroome@penny-arcade.com Registered User regular
    28a3umrvkusn.png

Ok now do the other end.

• Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    Randomly removing the ability to prevent windows taskbar icons from stacking is pretty fucking stupid

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    Thro wrote: »
    28a3umrvkusn.png

Ok now do the other end.

I guess birds having one hole for everything is pretty efficient

• Options
    miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    xcgmycjszddp.png

uc3ufTB.png
  • Options
    LabelLabel Registered User regular
    The United States of America.

• Options
    MachwingMachwing It looks like a harmless old computer, doesn't it? Left in this cave to rot ... or to flower!Registered User regular
  • Options
    Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    xxbzsei7u6c3.gif

• Options
    MachwingMachwing It looks like a harmless old computer, doesn't it? Left in this cave to rot ... or to flower!Registered User regular
    https://img.finalfantasyxiv.com/t/12468184798cffdedd156961c1dd36938cacbe52.png0kw76d5e5ihl.png

The Mog Station logo is an excellent logo design

The Mog Station is a terrible storefront design

l3icwZV.png
  • Options
    HeadCreepsHeadCreeps NOW IS THE TIME FOR DRINKING! Registered User regular
    6u99fadlqjtx.jpg

vEaRQgH.png
  • Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    5ow6e3h123hp.jpg

• Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    non-flashy design factors having outsized impact
    https://youtu.be/wSSqx-Dh6ko?si=15_NDKO0kDGBEzbd

• Options
    JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
  • Options
    SteveRageSteveRage Registered User regular
    the warframe UI is incompetent garbage. pure form over function with tons of wasted space, the need to click or mouse over icons for actual information and an almost gleeful disrespect towards the user experience.

-in warframe (pc), i am fungible-
  • Options
    TonkkaTonkka Some one in the club tonight Has stolen my ideas.Registered User regular
    You know who was great at design? Dieter Rams.

0b5rs6kgfgr6.jpg

Steam: evilumpire Battle.net: T0NKKA#1588 PS4: T_0_N_N_K_A Twitter Art blog/Portfolio! Twitch?! HEY SATAN Shirts and such
  • Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Machwing wrote: »
    https://img.finalfantasyxiv.com/t/12468184798cffdedd156961c1dd36938cacbe52.png0kw76d5e5ihl.png

The Mog Station logo is an excellent logo design

The Mog Station is a terrible storefront design

Is the pink dot supposed to be a cat's nose? Because I can only see it as a cat's butthole.

• Options
    GarthorGarthor Registered User regular
    Yeah that moogle is 100% presenting its huge buttcheeks and ripe red ass.

• Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    Juggernut wrote: »
    HeadCreeps wrote: »
    6u99fadlqjtx.jpg

Yeah this rules

I would have been infatuated with this as a kid

it would have definitely been the source of multiple bruises and broken bones

• Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    edited July 6
    moogles are cat-vole-bats from various finfan titles

MoogleFFIXConcept.png

PiptheFair on
  • Options
    PwnanObrienPwnanObrien He's right, life sucks. Registered User regular
  • Options
    Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    edited July 7
    tdo4kpxy2enr.jpeg
    w5ck56t25rh5.jpeg

Anytime a medieval European draws a boar. 5/5

And modern cleaned up versions of that.

naktzjft7dle.jpeg

Endless_Serpents on
  • Options
    6u99fadlqjtx.jpg

This is the end of our house

eymehle2ir9v.jpg

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    or is it only just the beginning?

• Options
    JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    Homie that's a portal

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    edited July 7
    I'm not sure why it doesn't bother me that it opens to nothing, but it does bother me that it swings in not out.

Xaquin on
  • Options
    FCDFCD Registered User regular
    "Go, then, there are other worlds than this."

Gridman! Baby DAN DAN! Baby DAN DAN!
  • Options
    GarthorGarthor Registered User regular
    A door opening to nothing that swings out would be a safety hazard.

• Options
    RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    Entrances swing in, exits swing out

That's a "my roommate is a vampire" door

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    R-demR-dem Registered User regular
    6u99fadlqjtx.jpg

eymehle2ir9v.jpg

Yeah but you live in England, right? I’ve been reliably informed my whole life that things like that exist to lead you to Narnia or Stormhold or the like

• Options
    edited July 7
    5ow6e3h123hp.jpg

You're laughing, but I'm a shittruckoligist and they only do this when they're scared.

A Dabble Of Thelonius on
    vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
  • Options
    PwnanObrienPwnanObrien He's right, life sucks. Registered User regular
    About a year after graduating art school up in Chicago I went to visit my former roommate and his girlfriend in their Boystown apartment.

Now how did two recent graduates who are not rich and not gay end up in such a neighborhood? Well I'm sure the cheap rent they got on their apartment had nothing to do with the bizarre empty triangular room just outside one of their windows that bridged their apartment with two others. It was fucking strange to look out an old wooden windowsill at what looked like a glitch in the matrix as a wooden floor and bulbless ceiling sat in the middle of other people's homes. You could if you wanted open the window, walk across what looked like an abandoned liminal space, and climb in the window to another apartment. Presumably there was a triangle room on every floor. Truly unhinged architecture.

I can't find any images of it on Google so I've got to assume that the room and all the ghosts that lived in it were gentrified out of the neighborhood before they could be turned into an SCP wiki entry. I've just chalked it up to one of those weird Chicago phenomena like the friend I had who lived in converted Church storage mere feet away from a blue line stop or the same friend who later moved to an apartment in the cemetery themed neighborhood of Ravenswood which refused to show up on Google Maps.

I may not be able to prove the triangular room existed but it will haunt my mind forever so I've got that.

Mwx884o.jpg
  • Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    R-dem wrote: »
    6u99fadlqjtx.jpg

eymehle2ir9v.jpg

Yeah but you live in England, right? I’ve been reliably informed my whole life that things like that exist to lead you to Narnia or Stormhold or the like

No no, that door used to connect to the EU

• Options
    CalicaCalica Registered User regular
    I wonder if the triangle room was supposed to be a light well, and then they decided it was too expensive to build like that.

• Options
    LucedesLucedes might be real Registered User regular

eymehle2ir9v.jpg

my partner and i rented a room in a house with one of these doors over the front walk

opened up directly onto the lack of a balcony, absolutely terrifying

landlady asked us if either of us were known to sleepwalk