As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Safari On Windows

• Options
    jwalkjwalk Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Hello it's a fucking web browser.

Not a DTP / illustration app.

Who gives a fuck what the fonts are "supposed" to look like printed on paper?

They are "supposed" to be fucking readable on my computer screen without making my eyes pop out of my head.

I like my eyes in my head, I use them for seeing things, thanks anyway.

jwalk on
  • Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    oh god damnit my new video card is getting delivered today but the rest of my parts won't be in until tomorrow

Weaver on
  • Options
    CalliusCallius Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    jwalk wrote: »
    Hello it's a fucking web browser.

Not a DTP / illustration app.

Who gives a fuck what the fonts are "supposed" to look like printed on paper?

They are "supposed" to be fucking readable on my computer screen without making my eyes pop out of my head.

I like my eyes in my head, I use them for seeing things, thanks anyway.
    Yes well, that's the flaw I see in the Mac font paradigm.

Callius on
    tonksigblack.png
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Also the rest of Jobs' keynote was typical smug smartass Apple rhetoric. "durr Vista didn't sell good ollol" - give me a break, Steve would cream his pants two times if OSX sold 1/2 as many copies as Vista did.

"Here's a chart showing the HUUUGE increase in market share" from 2% to 5% wow... hey maybe make the top of the chart a bit closer to 100% like a normal chart?

jwalk on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Also the rest of Jobs' keynote was typical smug smartass Apple rhetoric. "durr Vista didn't sell good ollol" - give me a break, Steve would cream his pants two times if OSX sold 1/2 as many copies as Vista did.

"Here's a chart showing the HUUUGE increase in market share" from 2% to 5% wow... hey maybe make the top of the chart a bit closer to 100% like a normal chart?
    Well, now you're just being snippy.

Callius on
    tonksigblack.png
  • Options
    FaricazyFaricazy Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    You can't deny Leopard looks really fucking swanky.

The Stacks for example seem really nice in terms of usability, and not just for the sake of oh look shiny.

And Core Animation is promising to be grand as well. Devs are discussing posibilities of making NEW interfaces with it, not just shiny versions of old ones.

And there still isn't a proper equivalent of Automator on Windows. Sure you can spend a day writing batch scripts, but fuck that.

Faricazy on
  • Options
    MKRMKR Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Faricazy wrote: »
    You can't deny Leopard looks really fucking swanky.

The Stacks for example seem really nice in terms of usability, and not just for the sake of oh look shiny.

And Core Animation is promising to be grand as well. Devs are discussing posibilities of making NEW interfaces with it, not just shiny versions of old ones.

And there still isn't a proper equivalent of Automator on Windows. Sure you can spend a day writing batch scripts, but fuck that.

I must be missing something or am looking at the wrong screens - leopard looks exactly like the last mac revision from what I'm seeing.

MKR on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    How you missed the giant new features presentation on Apple's site is beyond me. You might be dumb. A visit to the doctor is in order.

Faricazy on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    OSX is probably nice, I've never used it, because it doesn't fucking run on the PC.

Seriously, when are they just going to drop this whole "macs are better because they are white and the power cord comes in the same box" and just become a software/OS (and iPod) company?

I mean they are basically PCs now anyway, what with Intel inside and errything.

I'm sure they would double their market share (ollol 10%!!) overnight.

I know I could buy a Mac and run Windows on it, but I don't really need OSX. But if I could install it on all my PCs I might use it occasionally....

jwalk on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Because their hardware is part of the appeal. I think MacBooks are very, very nice laptops. Come Fall, when Leopard comes out I might pick one up.

Faricazy on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Why, because it's white and has the already-chewed fruit on it?

Seriously I don't get the fetish. It's a box, with computer guts inside. You turn it on and it works, or it doesn't. I stick mine down under my desk anyway, I never look at it... As long as it has proper cooling so it doesn't overheat, what the fuck else do you want from your computer's case?

jwalk on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    No, because its light, well-built, thin, feels nice to handle, has good battery life, and is pretty.

And has decent hardware.

Sorry I like nice things.

Faricazy on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    I guess a laptop is a bit different. I can see the appeal there. Years ago I wanted to buy a laptop and figured I should get a Mac, so I'd have both. They are nice I'll admit.

jwalk on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    I wish it was easier to get a wooden laptop case.

Weaver on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    The Mac Pros are so rediculously expensive I won't even look at them.

But the Mini is nice for what it is, and the iMac is a great all-in-one package that no PC can match for form, save maybe that new touchscreen HP.

Faricazy on
  • Options
    RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited June 2007

yeah, increasing your marketshare by 250% is totally pathetic and not worth mentioning.

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    How you missed the giant new features presentation on Apple's site is beyond me. You might be dumb. A visit to the doctor is in order.

This?

The only new thing I see is what looks like a souped up cron (automator, which does look pretty snazzy). Isn't the spaces thing what has been on UNIX WMs for decades?

I see the UI changes, but nothing remarkable enough to warrant buying and using a mac over another OS.

Maybe you could point the significant features out for us stupid Linux/Windows users.

MKR on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    It's different. Don't you know anything?

jwalk on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    MKR wrote: »

This?

The only new thing I see is what looks like a souped up cron (automator, which does look pretty snazzy). Isn't the spaces thing what has been on UNIX WMs for decades?

I see the UI changes, but nothing remarkable enough to warrant buying and using a mac over another OS.

Maybe you could point the significant features out for us stupid Linux/Windows users.
    Core Animation is MAJOR.

I thought you were comparing it to the "latest mac revision"?

I'm not even a Mac user either. I use my eyes, though.

Faricazy on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    It's different. Don't you know anything?

Oh.

MKR on
  • Options
    edited June 2007

This?

Core Animation is MAJOR.

I said significant.

One application is not significant.

Edit: One application for a tiny fraction of computers users.

Apple is excellent at "omg new and shiny", but terrible at details.

MKR on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    I can't use quicktime at work.

It's lame.

Callius on
    tonksigblack.png
  • Options
    edited June 2007

This?

Core Animation is MAJOR.

I said significant.

One application is not significant.
    It's not an application. It's a whole new interface SDK.

And if you go look at that page again you will see a bunch of new and revised applications.

Shit, what do you want from them? It's not OSX11. It's another step of refining and adding on to OSX10.

Faricazy on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    It's not an application. It's a whole new interface SDK.

And if you go look at that page again you will see a bunch of new and revised applications.

Shit, what do you want from them? It's not OSX11. It's another step of refining and adding on to OSX10.

Details.

MKR on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    What.....details?

Faricazy on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    It's not OSX11.
    OSXI?

You mean OSXI.

OSX = OS 10
    OSXI = OS 11

Duh. :roll:

jwalk on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Okay.

Mr. Cardigan.

Faricazy on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Details.
    Good luck with that.

The mac paradigm isn't detail, it's aesthetic.

Callius on
    tonksigblack.png
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    I don't understand what he wants. A full manual for Time Machine? What fucking details?

The sad thing is if some Unix distro was getting this promising GUI animation SDK, they would all be going batshit insane.

EDIT: Though technically.... :P

Faricazy on
  • Options
    redimpulseredimpulse Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    So I'm sitting here running FireFox 3.0a6pre, codenamed "Minefield."

It's a good bit faster than 2.x. Visually nothing's changed (yet, first alpha release) but already I'm pleased with its performance.

redimpulse on
    rbsig.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    I don't understand what he wants. A full manual for Time Machine? What fucking details?

The sad thing is if some Unix distro was getting this promising GUI animation SDK, they would all be going batshit insane.

I would still want to know more about it.

All I see are a few short paragraphs. If it's so great, how can it be summed up in so few words?

MKR on
  • Options
    edited June 2007

All I see are a few short paragraphs. If it's so great, how can it be summed up in so few words?
    That's.....that's so dumb. Apple's whole shtick is simplicity and ease of use.

Faricazy on
  • Options
    Kuribo's ShoeKuribo's Shoe Kuribo's Stocking North PoleRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    redimpulse wrote: »
    So I'm sitting here running FireFox 3.0a6pre, codenamed "Minefield."

It's a good bit faster than 2.x. Visually nothing's changed (yet, first alpha release) but already I'm pleased with its performance.

where does one obtain this

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
  • Options
    edited June 2007

You may not be a mac user, but you sure remind me of one.

@shoe: http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/firefox/nightly/latest-trunk/

MKR on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
  • Options
    edited June 2007

And you remind me of a Unix nerd.

Alas.

Faricazy on
  • Options
    redimpulseredimpulse Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Here, Shoe.

Also bookmark it, because when they release new alphas/updates they will put it in there.

To install (no instructions included): Unpack entire contents. Browse to Program Files/Mozilla Firefox. Copy and paste the contents into a different folder (so you have a backup in case Minefield bombs). Copy extracted contents of Minefield and paste right over current installation.

/damn beat'd by MKR

redimpulse on
    rbsig.jpg
  • Options
    ZoolanderZoolander Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    time machine is just system restore implemented much better
    i still wouldnt use it though
    and core animation is just like windows presentation foundation seems like

Zoolander on
  • Options
    edited June 2007

And you remind me of a Unix nerd.

Alas.

So unix nerds are people who reject marketing spin and prefer details?
    I don't actually use unix 90% of the time
    Marketing spin from linux distros pisses me off too

MKR on
  • Options
    Kuribo's ShoeKuribo's Shoe Kuribo's Stocking North PoleRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    wow this is pretty nice

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif