As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Madden Wii to not have friend codes!?

CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
edited June 2007 in Games and Technology
http://wii.ign.com/articles/795/795634p1.html
IGN Wii: Does Madden support voice chat or any type of online communication? Also, will players need friend codes to hook up, chat, and play?

Damian: Madden Wii does not support voice chat this year. We do have a basic EA Messenger chat service which allows you to keep connected with friends during online play. EA Messenger is separate from the Wii friends list so when you're online you search for people by using their online EA Nation Persona.

IGN Wii: Does the online mode automatically import your system code, or do you need a separate friend code to play Madden online?

Damian: Madden Wii doesn't support the Wii friends system during online play. This is something we're still working on with Nintendo. For now our online play uses your EA Nation Persona to search and manage your EA Messenger account.
I'm not sure how EA Nation Persona works but it can't be any worse than the friend codes. At the very least, it looks like Nintendo won't force other companies to use friend codes.

Couscous on

• LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    do not like.

LewieP on
  • Big DookieBig Dookie Smells great! Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Honestly, I don't see how it's any better. It's just substituting one inconvenience for another - entering in a bunch of personas or whatever won't be any easier than entering in a number. Why can't Wii games just let us use the System code and be done with it?

Big Dookie on
    Steam | Twitch
    Oculus: TheBigDookie | XBL: Dook | NNID: BigDookie
  • Dareth RamDareth Ram regular
    edited June 2007
    Didn't I tell you dudes Madden Wii wasn't using friend codes? I'm pretty sure I mentioned it.

Madden Wii was the last thing I worked on before I quit.

Dareth Ram on
    edited June 2007
    Big Dookie wrote: »
    Honestly, I don't see how it's any better. It's just substituting one inconvenience for another - entering in a bunch of personas or whatever won't be any easier than entering in a number. Why can't Wii games just let us use the System code and be done with it?
    Personas with EA Messenger are waaaaay easier to deal with then Friend codes are.

Dareth Ram on
  • Homestar GunnerHomestar Gunner Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    It's just substituting one inconvenience for another - entering in a bunch of personas or whatever won't be any easier than entering in a number.

I'm pretty sure this means an EA account to be used for all EA games; not just Madden.

Still not as good as using the console number, of course, but better than making a new username or entering a new number for every game.

Homestar Gunner on
  • No Great NameNo Great Name FRAUD DETECTED Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Give several reasons why.

No Great Name on
    PSN: NoGreatName Steam:SirToons Twitch: SirToons
    sirtoons.png
  • PataPata Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Dareth Ram wrote: »
    Didn't I tell you dudes Madden Wii wasn't using friend codes? I'm pretty sure I mentioned it.

You quit EA?

Where do you work now?

And who will be the Devil's (Literally lol) advocate now?

Pata on
    SRWWSig.pngEpisode 5: Mecha-World, Mecha-nisim, Mecha-beasts
    edited June 2007
    Pata wrote: »

You quit EA?

Where do you work now?

Relic.

EA was alright when I started, so I didn't mind defending them. If you let me I would have bashed the hell of them my last few monthes, though. It's the McDonalds of the game industry.

Dareth Ram on
  • CyrixdCyrixd Registered User regular
    edited June 2007

Am I missing something, or is entering in a username with letters (much like that Xbox Live thing) for online games much better than entering in friend codes with random numbers?

Cyrixd on
    Nintendo ID/PSN: CyrixD
    SteamID: FronWewq
    Battle.net: Orange#1845
    3DS Friend Code: 1289-9498-5797
  • The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007

You quit EA?

Where do you work now?

I work at Relic Entertainment now.

EA was alright when I started, so I didn't mind defending them. If you let me I would have bashed the hell of them my last few monthes, though. It's the McDonalds of the game industry.

Homeworld 3 homp

Get to it!

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

edited June 2007
    KingsHand wrote: »

You quit EA?

Where do you work now?

Homeworld 3 homp

Get to it!
    But wouldn't you much rather prefer a trilogy of sequels for the Outfit instead?

Dareth Ram on
  • YodaTunaYodaTuna Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    This makes me want to buy Madden even though I hate football and I hate football video games more, but I hate friend codes even more than that.

YodaTuna on
  • The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    KingsHand wrote: »

You quit EA?

Where do you work now?

Homeworld 3 homp

Get to it!
    But wouldn't you much rather prefer a trilogy of sequels for the Outfit instead?

stabbidy stab stab stabbing mcstabbenstien.

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• MinionOfCthulhuMinionOfCthulhu Registered User regular
    edited June 2007

You quit EA?

Where do you work now?

Relic.

You going to write some entertaining tell-all?

MinionOfCthulhu on
    mgssig.jpg1152dt.gif
  • slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Madden Wii will be online?

So is there a chance Tiger Wii 08 will be online too?

*crosses fingers*

slash000 on
  • Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    slash000 wrote: »

*crosses fingers*

Yeah it was confirmed in the latest Nintendo Power.

Of which I seem to be the only reader.

Bloods End on
    edited June 2007
    The online front end they stick in every game was finished for the Wii, so you should be seeing a lot of EA games with online.

You quit EA?

Where do you work now?

Relic.

You going to write some entertaining tell-all?
    There isn't much too tell... But...
    I worked there through a temp agency, under temp conditions, for eight months and I got tired of it. They wouldn't hire me as even a contracted employee, so I split for greener pastures. I started hitting up my friends working in other companies, and have been looking to get out since the beginning of the year, though I hadn't had any success until April.

The work environment there is a joke, and part of the reason is the 'offices' they stuck us in might have once been a warehouse. It felt like I was working in a garage everyday. It didn't help that my team had poor leadership, too, as our supervisor was one of those guys who was great at making it look he was doing work, but in reality wasn't doing much of anything. And the work was ass-boring.

Most of the leadership on the team I was on eventually quit, and I was the second person on the team to leave. I hooked a friend on the team up with Relic, too, and he ended up leaving a week after me. Another person followed a few weeks later, leaving only 2 of the original six members still working there. 8-)

Dareth Ram on
  • ZekZek Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Well, I don't really care. But did they do this because they want to be consistent with all their games, or because Nintendo is uncooperative about third parties using online?

Zek on
  • agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Zek wrote: »
    Well, I don't really care. But did they do this because they want to be consistent with all their games, or because Nintendo is uncooperative about third parties using online?

EA's always had a hard on for their online service. Remember their fight with Microsoft?

agoaj on
    ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • walnutmonwalnutmon Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I have a hardon for nintendo's online system, unfortunately I can't get a Wii... I have to survive with xBox live and their bullshit for the time being, but i'm not taking it lying down... anyone wants a game of rainbow six just PM me: nh8e43hvg04ghv893ud84hf

walnutmon on
    xbox: jmbizzo | ps3: walnutmon | steam: walnutmon | SC2: walnutmon.591
  • TheSonicRetardTheSonicRetard Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    walnutmon wrote: »
    I have a hardon for nintendo's online system, unfortunately I can't get a Wii... I have to survive with xBox live and their bullshit for the time being, but i'm not taking it lying down... anyone wants a game of rainbow six just PM me: nh8e43hvg04ghv893ud84hf

Be this sarcasms?

TheSonicRetard on
  • Dodge AspenDodge Aspen Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Bloods End wrote: »
    slash000 wrote: »

*crosses fingers*

Yeah it was confirmed in the latest Nintendo Power.

Of which I seem to be the only reader.

I too read Nintendo Power. They recently had a sports games feature that showcased all the upcoming Sports games. I think all of them are going to be online in some form.

Dodge Aspen on
    Xbox - Dodge Mega
    Switch - SW-3699-5063-5018

edited June 2007
    walnutmon wrote: »

Be this sarcasms?

The magic 8-ball says "The prospect is good"

walnutmon on
    edited June 2007
    This makes me wonder... Are they actually going to create a Madden this year that is going to be as good as 2005? I knew that the exclusive NFL/EA deal was bad, but even I couldn't have thought it would screw up their next generation games this badly.

I have heard good things of the Wii version, but even the good things I have heard seem like it is simply a fair effort; or perhaps just more than a Nintendophile would expect from EA, rightfully so. But as an xBox owner, I feel like EA has simply refused to even try to make a good next gen game, because they don't need to. Their presentation sucked. Playcalling sucked. The graphics were... ok. Gameplay was decent. The game in general left me feeling ripped off. I have never purchaced a Madden game where I never even finished one season. Not to hijack in any way, or perhaps just a little, does anyone have any more information on any of the next gen changes, besides EA online, which while good on the Wii, only happens to be good. The cooincidence of EA making a global networking core, being possibly better than Nintendos, and that is by no means in the bag.

walnutmon on