As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Review Old Games: Old games Suck.

BornThe1974BornThe1974 Registered User regular
edited June 2007 in Games and Technology
My comment about the current webcomic:

Old games suck. I know because I am a old gamer. I am 33 years old, and I have like a mile of videogames. Even with nostalgy, after like 5 years, games are dated, and dated in a way that is horrible to try to mess with it.

Try to play Dune 2, and the inability to make groups. Moving these harkonnen tanks is a pain. Play Xevius or any old game with the "Game Over" gameplay. Not only is boring, It hurt.

The games that cost $50 now, will be crap in 2 years. Even to you. Colllecting old games is a ugly and sad idea. I know because is have tons of tape's for Commodore 64. While is more convenient to download a disk image and run the games from a emulator.

As old games suck. A good review will show us that fact. It suck. Ok, you can love M.U.L.E. as much as me, or other guys, but the Smithore icon is horrible, and the food icon is not bearable with a iron stomach.

Having "The arcade something" in consoles is good bussines, because people download the thing, play 5 min, and ignore it forever. Is good bussines, but is not gamming. Is like browsing aged photos of yourself.

t2.gif

BornThe1974 on
«1345

Posts

  • SilpheedSilpheed Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    My comment about the current webcomic:

    Old games suck. I know because I am a old gamer. I am 33 years old, and I have like a mile of videogames. Even with nostalgy, after like 5 years, games are dated, and dated in a way that is horrible to try to mess with it.
    I'd say that you are playing the wrong games..

    Silpheed on
  • LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Silpheed wrote: »
    My comment about the current webcomic:

    Old games suck. I know because I am a old gamer. I am 33 years old, and I have like a mile of videogames. Even with nostalgy, after like 5 years, games are dated, and dated in a way that is horrible to try to mess with it.
    I'd say that you are playing the wrong games..

    Indeed.

    Lern2Super Mario World.

    It aged like a fine wine.

    LewieP on
  • yalborapyalborap Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Silpheed wrote: »
    My comment about the current webcomic:

    Old games suck. I know because I am a old gamer. I am 33 years old, and I have like a mile of videogames. Even with nostalgy, after like 5 years, games are dated, and dated in a way that is horrible to try to mess with it.
    I'd say that you are playing the wrong games..

    Agreed. I can still go back to my favorite SNES games and try to finally conquer them, and going and beating that boss that took me five goddamn years to master back then on my first try will always be awesome.

    yalborap on
  • BallmanBallman Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I probably go back to Chrono Trigger once a year these days, and it's over 10 years old. Also, my girlfriend frequently absconds with my Super Mario Bros. cartridge for the GBA. It even has the traditional "Game Over" gameplay you so easily derided. SMB is at least two or three years old.

    Perhaps you are trying to support a broad generalization with a few pieces of anecdotal evidence?

    Ballman on
  • RamiRami Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I mostly agree with the OP, very few games ever stand the test of time. The 2D Marios are the best example of this, they are pretty much the only NES games I could play without turning it off after 5 minutes.

    Rami on
    Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • GyralGyral Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    The games that cost $50 now, will be crap in 2 years.

    I disagree and the list of games I would use against you would crush the internet.

    Gyral on
    25t9pjnmqicf.jpg
  • yalborapyalborap Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Gyral wrote: »
    The games that cost $50 now, will be crap in 2 years.

    I disagree and the list of games I would use against you would crush the internet.

    Doooo eeeet.

    yalborap on
  • NickleNickle Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Ballman wrote: »
    I probably go back to Chrono Trigger once a year these days, and it's over 10 years old. Also, my girlfriend frequently absconds with my Super Mario Bros. cartridge for the GBA. It even has the traditional "Game Over" gameplay you so easily derided. SMB is at least two or three years old.

    Perhaps you are trying to support a broad generalization with a few pieces of anecdotal evidence?

    I think that's it.

    I have my Wii and DS (and soon a 360, once it's sorted out), but last night I was playing FFIII(VI) on my SNES. But I suppose the forums could be blamed for that as much as anything.

    Damn you guys. I've got pokeymans to catch.

    Nickle on
    Xbox/PSN/NNID/Steam: NickleDL | 3DS: 0731-4750-6906
  • DjiemDjiem Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Old games suck.

    No. A thousand times: No.
    No way. Nu-uh. Never.
    If there's one thing MANY old games do not, it's suck.

    Djiem on
  • mugginnsmugginns Jawsome Fresh CoastRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I don't really play most old games anymore, either. The only things I can really get into that are old are on PC. (Diablo 2, Arcanum, not much else). I'd get back into Quakeworld if people played it.

    mugginns on
    E26cO.jpg
  • NofrikinfuNNofrikinfuN Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Dune 2 is a bad example in my opinion. That is the only RTS game I've ever liked. I played it nonstop years back and it's one of the main reasons I want to kick myself for selling my Nomad.

    It's a matter of opinion really. Personally, I think a well-made game lasts forever. (Just give it a break from time to time.)

    NofrikinfuN on
  • BornThe1974BornThe1974 Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Mario? I don't do console games.

    Take "The Ur-Quan Masters". Maybe a very good game. But the interface is horrible for nowdays tastes. And theres something wrong about the feeling of the overall game, maybe is the timming. Maybe a good FMV in Blizzard style is something that really put you inside the game.
    I would played The Ur-Quan Masters only if some guy pay me, or I am forced to.

    BornThe1974 on
  • CrazyfoolCrazyfool Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Well, I suppose everyone is entitled to their opinion. Even if it is wrong.


    Case in point: Super Mario 1 through Super Mario World, Sonic 1 through Sonic and Knuckles, tetris, Bust a Move, Bomberman, Castlevania, Metroid, Mario Kart, Donkey Kong, Every Zelda game ever made (on a nintendo system), Megaman, Starcraft, Diablo, Warcraft, Mortal Kombat, Street Fighter, and Super Mario 64 just to name a few. The list stretches on and on.

    Sure, there are a lot of old games that are bad. But every single gaming system since the atari worth noting has a plethora of gems that withhold the test of time and are gaming classics. You seem to have completely missed the point of the newest webcomic. Classic games are not stupid--reviewing re-releases of classic games is stupid. Why? Because in most cases everybody already knows what to expect--and because you can't hold a game created 5/10/15 years ago by today's gaming standards simply because gaming was entirely different back then just as it will be entirely different 10 years from now.

    Quite frankly I feel bad for you if you are incapable of enjoying games once they have aged more than 2 years, because there are literally HUNDREDS of classic games that are just as fun--if not MORE fun--than 95% of the games being created today.

    Crazyfool on
    Floyd86.png
  • BallmanBallman Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I sat here for a few minutes, thinking about older games that have held up.

    The OP really does have a point, but only to a certain extent. A lot of old games really do suck, but we have a generally higher standard of quality these days. For instance, the original Metroid is really hard to play, IMO. However, though I've never played it, a lot of people swear by Metroid 2, and Super Metroid is fantastic and well-worth going back to.

    For some reason, my mind drifted back to Monster Party on the NES. It gets made fun of a lot for having a crappy script and a crazy premise, but it's actually a lot of fun to play.

    Ballman on
  • NofrikinfuNNofrikinfuN Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Mario? I don't do console games.

    Take "The Ur-Quan Masters". Maybe a very good game. But the interface is horrible for nowdays tastes. And theres something wrong about the feeling of the overall game, maybe is the timming. Maybe a good FMV in Blizzard style is something that really put you inside the game.
    I would played The Ur-Quan Masters only if some guy pay me, or I am forced to.

    Ah. There's the problem.

    NofrikinfuN on
  • -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    This isn't a real thread is it? It's flamebait right? I mean c'mon, he didn't even spell Nostalgia correctly. And stuff like saying games automatically become crap in 2 years? C'mon now, this can't be someone's actual viewpoint can it? It's completely nonsensical.

    -SPI- on
  • DjiemDjiem Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Mario? I don't do console games.

    Take "The Ur-Quan Masters". Maybe a very good game. But the interface is horrible for nowdays tastes. And theres something wrong about the feeling of the overall game, maybe is the timming. Maybe a good FMV in Blizzard style is something that really put you inside the game.
    I would played The Ur-Quan Masters only if some guy pay me, or I am forced to.

    First of all, if you don't do console games, you can't say "Old games suck" because you've barely touched the surface. Also, Fallout 2 is a ten-year old game but I still play a game or two once in a while. Most Roguelikes, while not old, are made using the ASCII-for-art gimmick that we had YEARS ago and many will argue that they rock.

    Djiem on
  • TheSonicRetardTheSonicRetard Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    English isn't your first language, is it?

    Also, might want to edit your OP. Talking about that kind of stuff is frowned upon here.

    TheSonicRetard on
  • ReignerReigner Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Mario? I don't do console games.

    Take "The Ur-Quan Masters". Maybe a very good game. But the interface is horrible for nowdays tastes. And theres something wrong about the feeling of the overall game, maybe is the timming. Maybe a good FMV in Blizzard style is something that really put you inside the game.
    I would played The Ur-Quan Masters only if some guy pay me, or I am forced to.

    Ah. There's the problem.

    Even so, I'm currently playing through King's Quest 1-7 on my PC. And those game are full of win and awesome regardless of how dated they are. :)

    Reigner on
    Exodus Server: Venstra Rei
    FFBE: 838,975,107
    Dokkan: 1668363315
  • SilpheedSilpheed Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I just managed to bag myself a copy of Heavy Gear for what would be 50 cents for you yanks. I got it going on my system and I'm having a blast. I'm also busy playing through Might and Magic 7-8 and it doesn't bother me that those games were released in the late 90's. I guess that's why I haven't left PC gaming, the ability to enjoy older games and manage to get them working is pretty much unbeatable for me.

    Silpheed on
  • CrazyfoolCrazyfool Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    After further analysis, I have come to the conclusion that this guy is either an extremely blatant troll or a complete idiot.


    Can we revoke someone's gaming license? If so I nominate this guy.


    EDIT: no console games? well there's your problem right there. Someone get this guy a NES, a SNES, and a Genesis STAT.

    Crazyfool on
    Floyd86.png
  • BornThe1974BornThe1974 Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Djiem wrote: »
    First of all, if you don't do console games, you can't say "Old games suck" because you've barely touched the surface. Also, Fallout 2 is a ten-year old game but I still play a game or two once in a while.

    Fallout 2, the start on the dungeon is boring. I can't. Baldurs Gate 2, I can. Planescape... I am tryiing, but the Sigil city is getting somewhat boring.

    You have a point about consoles. Maybe my comment is only appropiate for PC games. PC is a totally different universe than consoles.

    BornThe1974 on
  • SilpheedSilpheed Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Nah, this thread is starting to smell flamebait to me as well but I wouldn't mind a thread where we talk about old games and how to (for PC gamers) get them running on newer systems.

    Silpheed on
  • PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    yalborap wrote: »
    Gyral wrote: »
    The games that cost $50 now, will be crap in 2 years.

    I disagree and the list of games I would use against you would crush the internet.

    Doooo eeeet.

    I'd rather he doesn't. I'd rather not have my internets crushed.

    I believe Korea disagrees with you. Starcraft is almost 10 years old.

    Peewi on
  • CrazyfoolCrazyfool Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    You have a point about consoles. Maybe my comment is only appropiate for PC games. PC is a totally different universe than consoles.

    Bingo.

    Crazyfool on
    Floyd86.png
  • cemetery mancemetery man Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I been playing Quake 2 again and loving it. Given it's been on the 360 with surround and widescreen it's still the same fun game and it's 11 years old and I bought the PC version the week it came out.

    cemetery man on
  • -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    No, old PC games are still awesome.

    200pxmechwarrior2covermw3.jpg

    CRITICAL HIT: ARGUMENT

    -SPI- on
  • LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Crazyfool wrote: »
    You have a point about consoles. Maybe my comment is only appropiate for PC games. PC is a totally different universe than consoles.

    Bingo.

    Alpha Centauri is still very very awesome.

    Hi5 SPI

    LewieP on
  • DjiemDjiem Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Maybe my comment is only appropiate for PC games.

    Actually I'd say your comment isn't appropriate for anything. I'm a 24 year old gamer who played every Nintendo system, many non-Nintendo systems, and PCs (from horrible DOS games in computers that weren't even 486s to my actual beast), and in no way are old games bad. Even today.

    Djiem on
  • leafleaf Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I think I can safely hold up ET for atari and say, "now here is a great game I played for hours back then, and still play daily today"






    wait....

    leaf on
    newsig-notweed.jpg
  • TheSonicRetardTheSonicRetard Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Cool Spot is still fun as hell. The genesis platformer I mean.

    That game had no right to be as awesome as it was. Especially the soundtrack.

    TheSonicRetard on
  • CaswynbenCaswynben Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    What about the Sierra adventure games? I could play those all day.

    Caswynben on
  • CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    DOOM is still one of the best FPSs in existence. Fuck off.

    Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • cemetery mancemetery man Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    -SPI- wrote: »
    No, old PC games are still awesome.

    200pxmechwarrior2covermw3.jpg

    CRITICAL HIT: ARGUMENT

    I think that was my first PC game. It came with my IBM 133 Pentium PC with 2gb hard drive and 16mb of ram. The game was a pack-in with my ati 8mb card I think. I loved kicking on night vision, it made it feel so high tech.

    cemetery man on
  • SilpheedSilpheed Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Caswynben wrote: »
    What about the Sierra adventure games? I could play those all day.

    Silpheed on
  • MC MysteryMC Mystery Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Silpheed wrote: »
    Caswynben wrote: »
    What about the Sierra adventure games? I could play those all day.

    Needed to be quoted again.

    MC Mystery on
    Your sig is too tall. -Thanatos
    l_cd41a4eb4e2844f196a9c3046df33f47.jpg
  • BehemothBehemoth Compulsive Seashell Collector Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    What about Fallout and Fallout 2? Even though they have graphics I should consider horrible, I can still play them for hours/

    I would say that the only games that really become unplayable are early 3-D games which just looked really bad in the first place. The same is true of console games, for the most part.

    Behemoth on
    iQbUbQsZXyt8I.png
  • PemulisPemulis Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Cool Spot is still fun as hell. The genesis platformer I mean.

    That game had no right to be as awesome as it was. Especially the soundtrack.

    I love that game so much. If only all promotional games were so awesome.

    Pemulis on
  • Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Games Older than 5 years that I think are good and still play to this date:

    Creatures 2 - C64
    Forbidden Forest - C64 (I completed this a few weeks back)
    Spy vs Spy - C64
    Gumshoe - C64
    Monkey Island 1 & 2 - Amiga/Pc
    Sam and Max - PC
    Day of the Tentacle - PC
    Beneath a Steal Sky - Amiga/PC
    Super Mario World - SNES
    Super Mario Land - GB
    The Zeldas - Anything
    Street Fighter 2 - Arcade/Snes/Megadrive
    Lost Vikings - Snes/Megadrive/Amiga
    Speedball 2 - Amiga
    Cannon Fodder - Amiga/PC
    Doom - PC/EVERYTHING
    Quake - PC
    Counter Strike - PC
    Another World - Everything
    Flashback - Everything
    Heart of Darkness - PC/PS1
    Final Fantasy VII - PC/PS1
    Oddworld - PC/PS1
    Donkey Kong - NES
    Donkey Kong Country - SNES
    Super Mario Brothers - SNES
    Worms 1,2,All the Other versions except the 3D ones - Everything
    Sonic - Most sega formats!
    Road Rash - Megadrive
    Super Mario Sunshhine - GC (Ok, it's NEARLY 5 years old!)
    Mario 64 - N64
    Super Smas Bros - N64
    Ico - PS2
    Liberation - CD32
    Superfrog - Amiga/CD32
    Skidmarks - Amiga/CD32

    I could probably go on, but to me, those are all worth playing nowadays and have withstood the test of time. ESPECIALLY the graphic adventures at the top of my list.

    I'd like to say Castelvania/Metroid but I honestly haven't played them! I need to rectify this fast.

    ::Edit::

    Fucksake, I forgot:

    Dungeon Keeper
    Mech Warrior 2 (Thanks for bringing that up! I got it working AT LAST the other day)
    Dungeon Keeper 2
    Populous
    Theme Hospital
    Theme Park
    Magic Carpet 1 & 2
    Syndicate
    Syndicate Wars

    All PC and all fucking awesome.

    Mr_Grinch on
    Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • DjiemDjiem Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    There's a pretty easy way to end this thread and it was available to us from the start:

    Super Mario Bros. 3

    Everything that needed to be said has been said. The game I consider to be the best game that was ever made is about 10 years old, more or less.

    Djiem on
Sign In or Register to comment.