As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Jericho Thread Redux: It's Back, Baby! NUTS!

• Options
    Professor PhobosProfessor Phobos Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Rty wrote: »
    I don't know about you guys but i'm a little disappointed where this show has gone. In the beginning of the first season there were all those weird incidents such as old model Russian MIGs flying and that odd chinese shipment drop. On top of that, an EMP was set off? But with the second half of season one and now the beginning of this season, it seems to be going in a totally different direction.

Those all got explained- the MiGs and the Chinese airdrops were because the entire damn world was sending aid to the United States.

The EMP was basically several ICBMs detonated in the upper atmosphere (almost certainly by the conspiracy) to destroy communications and fracture the country. In fact that probably did more damage to national cohesion than losing cities, honestly.

Professor Phobos on
  • Options
    GungHoGungHo Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    The Army of the Vertical Stripes showing up is kind of a disappointment, and almost makes Jericho seem more important than it should be.

GungHo on
  • Options
    Big DookieBig Dookie Smells great! Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    GungHo wrote: »
    The Army of the Vertical Stripes showing up is kind of a disappointment, and almost makes Jericho seem more important than it should be.
    Well, there is at least some explanation in the show for why this might be the case. For one:
    The new government knows there's a rogue agent missing, and that the nuke might be in Jericho.

But beside that, there's also:
    The explanation last season from Hawkins about how Jericho lies in one of the radiological "safe zones", lying between the fallout clouds from surrounding strikes. Plus, they're close to being in the geographical center of the United States, which might be symbolically important for some. There are other towns nearby that are the same way, but Jericho has obviously held up better than most after the attack.

However, keep in mind that the government still almost didn't show up to Jericho, even with all of this known. It was only by chance that the events fell into place that led them there. It still isn't the most important city in the U.S obviously, but it's obvious that the story is leading in a direction where it could become quite important.

Big Dookie on
    Steam | Twitch
    Oculus: TheBigDookie | XBL: Dook | NNID: BigDookie
  • Options
    PiRaTe!!!PiRaTe!!! Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    So tonights episode certainly brought the main conspiracy story in to play.
    Some of the key highlights being:

- Confirmation that the Cheyenne government covered up the true source of the bombs after telling the people that they were North Korean nukes, but were in fact old Soviet nukes.
    - that the Cheyenne government is rewriting the history and the foundations of the US
    - Hawkins going all ninja on the guys in the command center.
    - the outbreak of a mysterious virus in the eastern half of the US
    - discussion of the "Blue Line" which is apparently a line of UN Peacekeepers
    - and lastly the return of the Ravenwood Mercenaries

All of this is just making the wait for next weeks episode so much harder to handle.

PiRaTe!!! on
    PiRaTe001.png
  • Options
    CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Jesus. This show has turned into DMZ.

Crimsondude on
  • Options
    themightypuckthemightypuck MontanaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Not an auspicious beginning but I think I see where they are going. I'm going to keep watching.

themightypuck on
    “Reject your sense of injury and the injury itself disappears.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

Path of Exile: themightypuck
  • Options
    MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Oh hey, they have the entire first season on the tubes still. CBS just destroyed my productivity for the next week or so.

edit: I think one of the reasons I didn't watch this show was because I hate the 'lol small American town perfection' thing they had going in the pilot. I don't know why, but it just grinds my gears. Probably because I lived in 'lol small American town perfection' and detest it with my face.
    GRRAAAAAAAAGHGHG

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Options
    DarkCrawlerDarkCrawler Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Hmm, I like the way this show is going...wish they would show the current state of United States a bit more, though, IMO it's the most interesting part.

DarkCrawler on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    I am in love with this series. I've been watching it on CBS.com for the past few days. There's no tangible way to support the sponsors that the show requires to be justified for CBS other than clicking things though.

Solid drama thumbs up etc.

Malkor on
  • Options
    Mei HikariMei Hikari Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I've watched 2 episodes from the new season, and I gotta say...

This show is so much more enjoyable without jake's parents around.

Mei Hikari on
  • Options
    Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2008
    So, according to Wiki, the first episode's ratings were worse than the worst episode from the first season. The show had it's chance gentlemen. At least we'll get some closure this time.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    So, according to Wiki, the first episode's ratings were worse than the worst episode from the first season. The show had it's chance gentlemen. At least we'll get some closure this time.
    They went down even more for the second episode, but they actually went up a little for the third episode (though still less than the first). CBS is going to run all of the new episodes one way or another, so there is still time for the ratings to improve. Not much though.

It probably is done for, but like you said, at least they could provide a decent ending to the series this time.

Big Dookie on
    Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    DarkCrawlerDarkCrawler Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Mei Hikari wrote: »
    I've watched 2 episodes from the new season, and I gotta say...

This show is so much more enjoyable without jake's parents around.

Yes. You are absolutely correct on that.

DarkCrawler on
  • Options
    SquashuaSquashua __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2008
    I liked the dad. The mom is much better as Eli Stone's mom.

Also, dead redhead doctor is now on some sort of insurance commercial.

Squashua on
  • Options
    NarianNarian Registered User regular
    edited March 2008

Has any lesser known show (eg. not LOST) come back from the Strike with comparable ratings?

Narian on
    Narian.gif
  • Options
    BamelinBamelin Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Tonight's episode was filled with win.

Also, in case you guys didn't know this already, Sci Fi has picked up season 1 for syndication.

I'd heard the reason episodes 1 - 3 of season 2 got such lousy numbers is partly because they were leaked on the internet before they aired ...

I have a feeling the show will wrap up now but I'm still hoping for a Season 3.

Bamelin on
  • Options
    mightyspacepopemightyspacepope Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Spoilered for those who haven't seen the latest episode:
    Man, I hope Stanley kills the shit out of that Ravenwood douchebag.

mightyspacepope on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    FUCKING COMCAST DVR

Jericho is on like 5 channels now (UHD, Scifi, Scifi-HD, CBS, CBS HD) and the only one Comcast lists or follows is the UHD repeats. Fuck.

Squashua on
  • Options
    lwt1973lwt1973 King of Thieves SyndicationRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Bamelin wrote: »
    Tonight's episode was filled with win.

Limed for truth.

I never expected what happened.

lwt1973 on
    "He's sulking in his tent like Achilles! It's the Iliad?...from Homer?! READ A BOOK!!" -Handy
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Are they going to re-run the episode or am I forced to watch this online?

Squashua on
  • Options
    wawkinwawkin Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I saw 2 women signing about one's social life, with subtitles.

I observed a dozen dramatic pauses in a 10 minute dialogue.

Then I changed the channel.

Perhaps, I was hasty?

wawkin on
    Talkin to the robbery expert.

"This is where I say something profound and you bow, so lets just skip to your part."
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Finally!

Professor Phobos on
  • Options
    UnKnown SoldierUnKnown Soldier Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    wawkin wrote: »

Perhaps, I was hasty?

So funny you mention that
    less than 10 minutes later they were both gunned down by secrurity contractors and the deaf chick took like 5 of them out with a shotgun and her spidey senses.

UnKnown Soldier on
  • Options
    wawkinwawkin Registered User regular
    edited March 2008

Perhaps, I was hasty?

So funny you mention that
    less than 10 minutes later they were both gunned down by secrurity contractors and the deaf chick took like 5 of them out with a shotgun and her spidey senses.

Son of a bitch. I shall give this show another chance.

wawkin on
    Talkin to the robbery expert.

"This is where I say something profound and you bow, so lets just skip to your part."
  • Options
    edited March 2008

Huh?

Narian on
    Narian.gif
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    I had been so displeased with the soap operatic elements of the last episode, I was glad to see that it was all set up for...
    killin' the deaf girl. Still, the show needs to be more "Alas, Babylon" the TV series than what it is now, which is more akin to Dr. Quinne: Medicine Woman w/ Radiation and Conspiracies.

Professor Phobos on
  • Options
    KeptinKeptin Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I can't explain my love for this show. You wade through 20 minutes of shit for 5 minutes of gold... but those 5 minutes. Those 5 awesome minutes.

Keptin on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Narian wrote: »

Huh?
    Heh, yes, out of context that sentence makes no sense.

Two women (one of them deaf) were talking about their social life using sign language, and there were subtitles to explain what they were saying.

Big Dookie on
    Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Big Dookie wrote: »
    Narian wrote: »

Huh?
    Heh, yes, out of context that sentence makes no sense.

Two women (one of them deaf) were talking about their social life using sign language, and there were subtitles to explain what they were saying.

I just re-re-re-reread that sentence and I noticed wawkin didn't say that the girls were singing, but signing. :oops:

Narian on
    Narian.gif
  • Options
    BamelinBamelin Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    The thing about Jericho (and I feel this is part of why it's getting killed in the ratings), is that it's the sort of show that you really need to watch from Episode 1, Season 1.

Sure there's the occasional filler episode, but even those often have vital clues/information that carry forward into other episodes. This is both Jericho's triumph and it's downfall ... fans of the show are rewarded week after week, whereas joe casual turns it on and is like "I don't get wtf is going on".

Sometimes even the fans don't get wtf is going on to be honest ... but we know that all questions will be answered in an upcoming episode.

Oh and one other thing:
    There is one thing I know for certain ... no American would ever accept that abomination of a flag:

DSA_flag.gif

Hell I'm Canadian and it looks creepy even to me. I can't fathom my hyper patriotic brother's in the south calmly accepting the flag change.

It would have made more sense to me if Cheyenne just stuck with "USA" as Columbus has.

Bamelin on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Not much about the Cheyenne conspiracy makes that much sense if you think about it, but in this post-cold war era something has to trigger a nuclear apocalypse, so they're necessary for the story.

Professor Phobos on
  • Options
    KeptinKeptin Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Not much about the Cheyenne conspiracy makes that much sense if you think about it, but in this post-cold war era something has to trigger a nuclear apocalypse, so they're necessary for the story.

I'm still betting on aliens.

Keptin on
  • Options
    Mei HikariMei Hikari Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Yea sometimes the logic of the "villains" is a little hard to follow.

"Rarr, you smuggled in vaccine, lemme confiscate it and destroy it!"
    "Why? Wouldn't a real villain confiscate it and sell it back at double the price?"
    "We're eeeeeeeevil, that's why!"

Last episode was pretty awesome though.

Mei Hikari on
  • Options
    mightyspacepopemightyspacepope Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Or maybe they're trying to ensure that the town stays unvaccinated?

DUN DUN DUNNNNNNNN!

mightyspacepope on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    I liked Bonnie

CBS has a ton of money from whoring out CSI shows right? Hopefully they'll keep this on for awhile.

Malkor on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    I'm certain the Hudson River Virus is a biowarfare agent the Conspiracy released on the Eastern seaboard to weaken the Columbus government; they intend to keep it quarantined on the other side of the Mississippi and cover up any incidents of infected towns that get past that. Or at least quarantine those as well.

Professor Phobos on
  • Options
    frylockedfrylocked Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I thought it was strange that they were able to buy the vaccine from a small town's black market. Something like a vaccine really shouldnt be so quick for a new (?) virus, especially with infrastructure in the way it is. Maybe it is just lazy writing, or it might be another big part of the conspiracy.

frylocked on
  • Options
    themightypuckthemightypuck MontanaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I'm worried about this show. They are doing what they did last year early on and losing focus, trying to keep too many balls in the air some of which balls are pretty tedious.

themightypuck on
    “Reject your sense of injury and the injury itself disappears.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

Path of Exile: themightypuck
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Well, they were only guaranteed seven new episodes with no promise of renewal of the show, so I'm sure they've written it so that this story arch (and those from last season) will be wrapped up in the next three episodes. Shouldn't be too hard, since many of them have already been resolved.

I mean, this week's episode had a dismal 3.9/7 rating. It's pretty much a given that the show's done for. The show had its second chance, and I don't think the fans can bring it back again. We can just hope that the writers were smart enough to anticipate this and gave us some closure to the story by the last episode.

Big Dookie on
    Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    frylockedfrylocked Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Big Dookie wrote: »
    Well, they were only guaranteed seven new episodes with no promise of renewal of the show, so I'm sure they've written it so that this story arch (and those from last season) will be wrapped up in the next three episodes. Shouldn't be too hard, since many of them have already been resolved.

I mean, this week's episode had a dismal 3.9/7 rating. It's pretty much a given that the show's done for. The show had its second chance, and I don't think the fans can bring it back again. We can just hope that the writers were smart enough to anticipate this and gave us some closure to the story by the last episode.

I have heard that it is doing pretty well with the DVR and streaming over the internet formats. Then again, CBS doesnt really care, its the live audience that advertisers want to see.

I have read that the writers have written two endings, one for if the show continues and one for if the show dies this season. I think they have been very good about trying to tie everything up in a hurry.

frylocked on