As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Blood in eye

LRGLRG Registered User regular
edited June 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
Alright, so my brother gave me a black eye a couple days ago. It's mostly gone now, except that I have a bunch of blood in my eye. My eye feels fine and everything, but it is disturbing to look at, because there is so much blood in there, though it seems to stop right before it touches my pupil. So should I worry about this or anything? I figure it will go away on its own, but I'm not sure. Any help?

LRG on

• Options
    RuckusRuckus Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    It's not horribly uncommon for blood vessels in your eye to burst. When I got Lasik, the procedure to prepare the eye (making a flap) includes suction on your (anesthatized) eyeball, which resulted in several burst vessels. I can take months for the pools of red to disappear, and in some cases years (I still have one section of red that's barely noticable left over from the surgery, October 2005).

But if you haven't been to your optometrist in a while, you may as well go for a regular checkup and ask him about it.

Ruckus on
  • Options
    SonosSonos Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    :x a story would have gone along with this nicely.

Sonos on
    Sonovius.png
    PokeCode: 3952 3495 1748
  • Options
    ShogunShogun Hair long; money long; me and broke wizards we don't get along Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    The blood in the white part of the eye will take the longest to disappear. If its a lot of blood it could take 6-8 weeks if its not much it should take 2-3 weeks.

Shogun on
  • Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Where is the blood located?

Is it like this?

subconj%20hemorrhage.jpg

If so, that's a subconjunctival hemorrhage and not really anything to be concerned about. It will drain out on its own. They're extremely common after a period of increased intraocular pressure (such as sneezing, coughing, dry heaving, extreme cases of vomiting, or direct trauma to the eye).

Or, does it look like this?
    HyphemaSmall.jpg

If so, that's called a hyphema and the blood has actually leaked past the cornea. This is most often the result of direct blunt trauma to the eye. In fact, last week in the ER we had an elementary school student who had one of these after some jerkass friend threw a pear at him and nailed him right in the cornea. This also will drain out over time, but you should see a physician in this case so your visual acuity and pupillary responses can be assessed to determine if there is any serious structural problems. If there is any concern about your eyesight a procedure will be performed to irrigate and drain the blood.

MegaMan001 on
    I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Ok, its a subconjunctival hemorrhage, so its good I don't have to worry about it. Though I got a letter telling me to make an appointment with the optometrist a few weeks ago, I might as well go ahead and do that now. 6 - 8 weeks is a bitch, though, I guess I'll have to learn to love it till its gone. Thanks for all the help guys.

The story is so long and I'm tierd of repeating it, so I'll just cut to the fight scene. I'm yelling at my brother because he is a goddamned idiot and if he didn't act like such, we wouldn't have had to make the quick exit from our friends house because another friend wanted to fight my brother(he kinda deserved it). As I'm yelling and driving, the asshole reaches over with one hand and grabs my throat and squeezes. I stop the car, get out, and try to call the cops because he deserves whatever they give him if he learns a lesson, I figure, but they don't pick up. I get back in the car and just start fighting my twin brother for the hundreth time. We both take some licks, but I end up with a black eye.

Stories are fun.

LRG on
  • Options
    NogsNogs Crap, crap, mega crap. Crap, crap, mega crap.Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    LRG wrote: »
    Ok, its a subconjunctival hemorrhage, so its good I don't have to worry about it. Though I got a letter telling me to make an appointment with the optometrist a few weeks ago, I might as well go ahead and do that now. 6 - 8 weeks is a bitch, though, I guess I'll have to learn to love it till its gone. Thanks for all the help guys.

The story is so long and I'm tierd of repeating it, so I'll just cut to the fight scene. I'm yelling at my brother because he is a goddamned idiot and if he didn't act like such, we wouldn't have had to make the quick exit from our friends house because another friend wanted to fight my brother(he kinda deserved it). As I'm yelling and driving, the asshole reaches over with one hand and grabs my throat and squeezes. I stop the car, get out, and try to call the cops because he deserves whatever they give him if he learns a lesson, I figure, but they don't pick up. I get back in the car and just start fighting my twin brother for the hundreth time. We both take some licks, but I end up with a black eye.

Stories are fun.

wait. the fucker started choking you while you were driving?! holy shit, that kid is nuts!

Nogs on
    rotate.jpg
    PARKER, YOU'RE FIRED! <-- My comic book podcast! Satan look here!
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    He claims he was trying to put his hand on my shoulder in an attempt to calm me down. His hand must of just slipped on to my throat and an involuntary muscle spasm must have been the cause of the gripping down on my neck.

I really think he may one day be the cause of my death.

Anyways, I guess this thread can be locked. Thanks fellas.

LRG on
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    FYI, I've gotten these before. For me, they generally go away in more like a week, though I don't know how usual that is (they're usually pretty minor, too).

Thanatos on
This discussion has been closed.