As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

DRM'd ringtones on Cingular/HTC 8125

Jimmy KingJimmy King Registered User regular
edited June 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
So, I just got one of these here newfangled pocket pc deals, the Cingular/HTC 8125. It doesn't like DRM'd content. I can download raw mp3s, I can get at DRM'd stuff using Minimo. Unfortunately I can't get Pocket IE to download DRM'd content, which seems awfully strange (Always using Minimo is not an option, it wangs the user-agent header, which some system use to figure out what format content to send you).

I work at a place that deals with mobile content, I'vve tried delivering with every form of DRM known to man, along with downloading stuff from mixxer.com.

Anyone have any experience with this issue? Know what the deal is?

Jimmy King on

• Options
    PheezerPheezer Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2007
    Maybe it just can't handle DRM'd media?

What does the manual say about what it can support?

Pheezer on
    IT'S GOT ME REACHING IN MY POCKET IT'S GOT ME FORKING OVER CASH
    CUZ THERE'S SOMETHING IN THE MIDDLE AND IT'S GIVING ME A RASH
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    It doesn't say anything about DRM, the manual is total shit. I'd be very highly surprised if it couldn't handle DRM'd media, though, as it's running Windows Mobile 5.

Jimmy King on
  • Options
    Magus`Magus` The fun has been DOUBLED! Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Well, isn't the idea behind DRM'd media so that you CAN'T use it on anything?

Magus` on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Magus` wrote: »
    Well, isn't the idea behind DRM'd media so that you CAN'T use it on anything?
    Not sure if you were just being a smartass or not (not meant in a bad way, I'm as anti-drm as anyone), so here's a real reply, just in case.

In the case of DRM for mobile devices, the intention is that when you legally purchase some licensed content, it wraps it before delivery and just tells your phone "here, you can use this, but don't send it anywhere else" so that you can't then attach it to an mms and send to your friend who has a phone that could also use that same item you got on his phone.

Jimmy King on