As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Final Mechanics Test - Phalla Royale Discussion

• PlutoniumPlutonium Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Ardor wrote: »
    Plutonium wrote: »
    Is the Swamp connected to the ruined town, or not?

According to the ASCII map in the OP it is.

And adjacencies are strictly for item use, correct? When we move, we can move to any zone, right?

Correct. At this time, there's an item that can be used on adjecent zones. Movement is not restricted at all. I promise I'll have something more than my poor excuse for a map now when this comes around again.

I'll post an actual narration tonight as well.

The swamp is connected to the town.

Ok, cool. Last Son's Ascii didn't have it. I'll take down that map I posted earlier.

Plutonium on
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I wonder if I can poison the soup of other players.
    (Could be an interesting item...)

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Plutonium wrote: »

Ok, cool. Last Son's Ascii didn't have it. I'll take down that map I posted earlier.

Yeah, that makes my map wrong too, down she goes!

Inquisitor on
  • GrimmyTOAGrimmyTOA Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Yay! Battle Royale part 2!

Good times.

GrimmyTOA on
  • DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
    edited June 2007
    Since this is part two, do we have to be cheesily political and angry at adults?

Unknown User on
  • ZerinanZerinan Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Are you talking about a second Battle Royale movie? Otherwise I don't quite get it. :P

Zerinan on
    6394_970621.png
  • ArdorArdor Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I never watched the second part, only the first. You can be angry against all adults though. Part of the premise of the movie setting was based upon the rise of teen and young adult rebellions. This is kind of a way to help intimidate them so they won't go aganist the government, adults, etc.

Also, I forgot, but the lighthouse can still be destroyed by dynamite. I'll add that back in. Someone pointed it out to me.

Ardor on
  • DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
    edited June 2007
    The second movie was hilariously hyper-political, and everyone was angry at adults.

Unknown User on
  • SquashuaSquashua __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2007
    Ardor

For every attack, there are two rolls, I take it?

One roll to hit (or miss) and one roll to dodge (or get hit), the second roll being made if the attack hits?

In order to reduce the # of rolls you have to make to one-per-shot, how about (in the future) the defensive % being a "negative" against the "positive" attack %, with a minimum 5% chance-to-hit?

For example:

Bill has a shotgun, 30% chance to hit
    Ted is running, -20% for dodging
    Bill ultimately has a 10% chance to hit Ted with the shotgun.

Base weapon % + attacking team bonus + terrain bonus - dodge - protection - defending team bonus = chance of being hit; minimum 5%.

Squashua on
  • FunkyWaltDoggFunkyWaltDogg Columbia, SCRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I think it already works like that, except that there was no stated minimum.

FunkyWaltDogg on
    edited June 2007
    It doesn't. There seem to be two rolls.

One roll is "to hit".

The second roll is made if the "to hit" succeeds as a "dodge" attempt.

At least, that's how I read it; I didn't participate in the original.

Squashua on
    edited June 2007
    Where are you seeing this?

FunkyWaltDogg on
    edited June 2007
    I "read into it" by the way Ardor words the defensive percentages in his rule descriptions.
    As he writes it, it seems that there is a roll "to hit" and a potential second roll "to dodge".
    I was suggesting combining the percentages into a single roll with a minimum % to hit of 1-5%

I deal with RPG mechanics a lot, but I'm not sure how the statistics of one methodology would differ with the other.

To me, (a programmer who has had to do minimize clicks for online checkouts and minimize rolls for combats) a single roll simplifies the work on the part of the gamemaster.

Squashua on
  • B:LB:L I've done worse. Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Squashua wrote: »
    I deal with RPG mechanics a lot.
    How about you deal with these numbers:

3:16.

They mean I'm gonna whoop your ass.

B:L on
    10mvrci.png click for Anime chat
    edited June 2007
    Ardor

One roll to hit (or miss) and one roll to dodge (or get hit), the second roll being made if the attack hits?

In order to reduce the # of rolls you have to make to one-per-shot, how about (in the future) the defensive % being a "negative" against the "positive" attack %, with a minimum 5% chance-to-hit?

For example:

Base weapon % + attacking team bonus + terrain bonus - dodge - protection - defending team bonus = chance of being hit; minimum 5%.

Sorry for being unclear.

I make one roll.

What you suggested is what I am doing. Attackers total hit % - defender's dodge (defense = dodge) % = total chance to hit. I have not decided to use a minimum % yet, mostly because I hadn't thought about it. We should assume you always have at least a 5% chance to hit your target.

Ardor on
    edited June 2007
    Ardor wrote: »
    Ardor

For example:

Sorry for being unclear.

I make one roll.

What you suggested is what I am doing. Attackers total hit % - defender's dodge (defense = dodge) % = total chance to hit. I have not decided to use a minimum % yet, mostly because I hadn't thought about it. We should assume you always have at least a 5% chance to hit your target.

Cool. Minimum is always good. I know this is a hit-hard game, but I wonder about some semblence of "damage rating". With kids, it'd be 2 "Hit Points" (for lack of a better word). Bullet Proof vests, etc. would add more HP. Certain weapons (grenade, collar a'splode) would eliminate all HP regardless of amount. % chance of dodge could be reduced for someone with 1 HP, etc. I wouldn't put it beyond 2 HP.

:-)

Anyway, that's for a later game.

Squashua on
    edited June 2007
    One of the ideas Ardor and I had involved when getting hit, you could become wounded. If you were wounded you wouldn't die but you would start bleeding out, and if your team-mates didn't save you the following night with a bandage type item you would die.

Made things really, really complicated though.

Inquisitor on
  • tuxkamentuxkamen really took this picture. Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Do we vote in here? When does it close?

tuxkamen on

Games: Ad Astra Per Phalla | Choose Your Own Phalla
    Thus, the others all die before tuxkamen dies to the vote. Hence, tuxkamen survives, village victory.
    3DS: 2406-5451-5770
    edited June 2007
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    One of the ideas Ardor and I had involved when getting hit, you could become wounded. If you were wounded you wouldn't die but you would start bleeding out, and if your team-mates didn't save you the following night with a bandage type item you would die.

Made things really, really complicated though.

Yeah, that would.

Here is something maybe simpler:
    HP = 2 (or more) : healthy
    HP = 1 : defense and attack % reduced.

HP 1 may optionally be bandaged by teammates to remove % penalties, but stays at 1 HP.
    HP 1 not-bandaged is viewed as wounded; bandaged player is viewed as healthy in description.

Bulletproof vest = +X BP

Damage is taken from BP before HP.

Bulletproof vest can look as "clean" (full BP) or "used" (0+ BP) but never "destroyed".

A HP 1 bandaged player wearing a Bulletproof vest with 0 BP left looks like:
    "Healthy, wearing a used Bulletproof Vest"

Squashua on
    edited June 2007
    tuxkamen wrote: »
    Do we vote in here? When does it close?

Pretty sure the answers to those questions are Yes, and tonight at 11p.m EST.

Edit: Not a bad idea Squash. Would just have to add the adendum that Bulletproof Vest HP only would work against bullet based weapons.

Inquisitor on
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I think he said there was no vote today, just general random accusation making.

Or strategizing, either/or.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
    edited June 2007
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    I think he said there was no vote today, just general random accusation making.

Or strategizing, either/or.

Err yeah, your right. Day 1 is mainly for picking if you want a love and where you want to start on the island.

Inquisitor on
  • DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Just figured I should post in here at some point. I feel like such a wuss going to bed early and missing the real start of this. *shrug*

DevoutlyApathetic on
    Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • TehSpectreTehSpectre Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Just figured I should post in here at some point. I feel like such a wuss going to bed early and missing the real start of this. *shrug*
    Yeah, there really isn't much to say on day one, especially since I don't want to use any math-speak.

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
    edited June 2007
    Can...can I bandwagon Squashua? How about PK?

If I can do neither I just won't know what to do with myself.

DevoutlyApathetic on
    edited June 2007
    I'd think twice about bandwagoning the man who's running the next game. Better stick with Squashua.

FunkyWaltDogg on
    edited June 2007
    Especially PK....hmm....

DevoutlyApathetic on
    edited June 2007
    Sorry for being away for a while. A couple things and I'll update the OP.

1) Actions. You can send me your group movement if your team wants to do that. I will take the last action sent in to me. So if one team sends a pm copying the whole team and me saying they want to move to zone X, but one of them sends me another pm saying they want to move to zone Y, everyone but that person moves to zone X while that person goes to Y.

2) Voting ends at 10 pm CST or 11 EST.

This day is just where you guys want to start on the island. Voting and fighting starts tomorrow. There are some items that can be used while moving, you can used those today if you wish. However, you cannot kill anyone tonight, just keep that in mind.

3) For tonight (day 1) only, I will let teams know if they have members who have not moved 1 hour prior to closing. The team can decide where that person goes tonight if they want, otherwise I will RNG the starting location. If you get online and would rather do something else, send me a pm telling me what you want to do instead.

Ardor on
  • Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Hiya fellas.

No womens here, right? That's good, otherwise I'd probably end up seduced by their wiles and stabbed in the crotch.

Hi I'm Vee! on
    vRyue2p.png
  • Last SonLast Son Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Hiya fellas.

No womens here, right? That's good, otherwise I'd probably end up seduced by their wiles and stabbed in the crotch.

Psst, B:L is a girl.

Last Son on
    edited June 2007
    Last Son wrote: »
    Hiya fellas.

NO! Amazing! They look just like real people!
    Totally a joke. Seriously.

DevoutlyApathetic on
    edited June 2007
    Change to end of day time - now 11pm CST.

Apparently I miss a lot of things, but I noticed that the haunted house and this end at the same time. I'll extend the deadline here to 11 pm CST to accomodate. This will be posted in the OP.

Ardor on
  • Last SonLast Son Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Last Son wrote: »
    Hiya fellas.

NO! Amazing! They look just like real people!
    Totally a joke. Seriously.

You're lucky Lady Eri isn't here, she would have you executed for something like that.

Last Son on
    edited June 2007
    For tonight only, I will be sending the information pm's based upon teammates. So if 2 people on the same team are in the same zone, I will pm those two together etc. Every night afterwards, I will send you individual pm's.

Ardor on
  • ZerinanZerinan Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Alrighty! This sounds so awesome! I can barely wait to see what there is in my zone!

Zerinan on
    6394_970621.png
    edited June 2007
    Day 1 - Game Start

As you move to your destinations tonight after brief meetings with your few classmates, you get some sleep. Waking up in the morning, you hear a familiar voice over a loudspeaker system apparently setup on this island. It's an old professor some of you remember that left after an incident at a school. The voice rang out across the island.

"Good Morning students. I hope you will not disappoint me today. As you know, the game begins now and there can be only one winner. Tomorrow night, zone 2 will be closing down and will no longer be accessible. Zones that shut down are patrolled by members of the army, so trespassing will get you killed on sight.

Sadly, I have no deaths to report. However, tomorrow should be very entertaining. I hope you prove yourselves and fight well students. I look forward to it!"

As the message ends, you gather your wits around you and make some notes about what you saw the previous day and what you may have discovered over the course of the day.

*From now on. You will vote for someone who you want to die. The person with the most votes will have their collar detonated at the end of the night.

All actions are now available. Please pm me with your actions prior to 11 pm CST tomorrow night. If a player isn't able to pm me, they will stay put and do nothing that night.

Trading items. This happens instantly, please PM me and the person you are giving an item to. You can also state "I'm trading my gun for bob's knife". Unless this becomes an issue, trade pm's are allowed. Please don't try to pull a fast one on somebody and take their item by trying to perform a trade they did not agree to. I will change the rules if that is an issue.

You can trade with anyone, regardless of whether or not they are on your team.

PM's are going out shortly by teammates in the same zone.

Ardor on
  • B:LB:L I've done worse. Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Aw hell no.

B:L on
    10mvrci.png click for Anime chat
    edited June 2007
    Well, time to throw down.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • telcustelcus Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Oi! Get out of our Zone!

telcus on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • TehSpectreTehSpectre Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    *Laughs crazily*