As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

User Privacy Updated

ÄlphämönkëyÄlphämönkëy Registered User regular
I've heard some reports of users getting sent weird IM's (usually over aim) that involve some game review site. The guy picks up names here and then IMs people to get them to check out his site. He is a nice guy and he goes away without any fuss, but still it pushed one of my "buttons."

Anyway, I made the following changes :
  • The memberlist is now only visible by members
  • The user profile is only visible by members
  • Guests will be redirected to login whenever they attempt to email\IM users.

The next step would be a visual confirmation mod, something which I used to be firmly against, but I now am considering for the next version of the forums. It should be noted, information can be collected from public user groups. This is setup to continue to let users contact mods if they have been banned.

Älphämönkëy on

• KevarKevar regular
    edited January 2005
    :^: One thing, though, if you use a visual confirmation mod..
    Please don't make it one that's impossible to read in swirly lines and crap like that. I hate messing up confirmation codes just because I can't make out the letters.

Kevar on
  • ToastToast Registered User regular
    edited January 2005
    So, ve vill make a confirmation image vich no machine, however advanced, vill be able to read. Yes. It vill make it totally illegible to humans too, but that's the price you pay, no?

Toast on
  • Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    edited January 2005
    Kevar wrote:
    :^: One thing, though, if you use a visual confirmation mod..
    Please don't make it one that's impossible to read in swirly lines and crap like that. I hate messing up confirmation codes just because I can't make out the letters.

See, I'm leaning in the opposite direction. I think the visual confirmation should be difficult to read, and I think there should be a penalty if you enter the wrong characters.

Something painful, yet humiliating.

Regina Fong on
  • Google Image SearchGoogle Image Search Registered User regular
    edited January 2005
    Hmm, I've gotten weird emails from people from here (4 total, haven't gotten one in awhile though) containing virii in an attached zip. They didn't do this themselves, the emails have been identical or pretty similar, and ended up in my spam folder. Thought you should know.

Google Image Search on
    GalfordSig.gif
  • PheezerPheezer Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2005
    Hmm, I've gotten weird emails from people from here (4 total, haven't gotten one in awhile though) containing virii in an attached zip. They didn't do this themselves, the emails have been identical or pretty similar, and ended up in my spam folder. Thought you should know.

The address I created for this forum gets about a couple a day. A few of you tards are infected with sendmail worms, but since it'd be far too difficult to track down who for it to be worth it, I just created a junk filter rule that deletes any mail sent to that address from senders not in my address book that contains a file attachment.

Since no one ever has or ever will legitimately e-mail something to that address with an attachment, I'm not worried about problems with false positives, and like I said, my address book is white listed anyhow.

This is a good solution if you have POP3 e-mail access and a decent mail client.

Pheezer on
    IT'S GOT ME REACHING IN MY POCKET IT'S GOT ME FORKING OVER CASH
    CUZ THERE'S SOMETHING IN THE MIDDLE AND IT'S GIVING ME A RASH
  • SzechuanosaurusSzechuanosaurus Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2005
    Are they sendmail worms? I get those sometimes but I also get ones which appear to have been bounced back to me from other peoples addresses, like they came from my address. But my email is collected on a Mac (albiet, using Entourage, but it'/s still unlikely that it's been infected by a sendmail virus, right?). I was assuming that it was simply cloning my email address or something but if there is some way of locking that down, I'd like to know.

Szechuanosaurus on
  • PheezerPheezer Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2005
    Are they sendmail worms? I get those sometimes but I also get ones which appear to have been bounced back to me from other peoples addresses, like they came from my address. But my email is collected on a Mac (albiet, using Entourage, but it'/s still unlikely that it's been infected by a sendmail virus, right?). I was assuming that it was simply cloning my email address or something but if there is some way of locking that down, I'd like to know.

Most worms of that nature grab the to and from address at random from the victim's inbox. So yes, it's entirely possible, and probably rather likely that someone with one has your e-mail address in their address book.

Pheezer on
    IT'S GOT ME REACHING IN MY POCKET IT'S GOT ME FORKING OVER CASH
    CUZ THERE'S SOMETHING IN THE MIDDLE AND IT'S GIVING ME A RASH
  • SzechuanosaurusSzechuanosaurus Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2005
    pheezer FD wrote:

Most worms of that nature grab the to and from address at random from the victim's inbox. So yes, it's entirely possible, and probably rather likely that someone with one has your e-mail address in their address book.

Oh right, so it's them, not me. Thats fine...what's the FD for?

Szechuanosaurus on
  • JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    edited February 2005
    what's the FD for?

It is a hollistic surrealist representation of the true inner workings of the brain of the rare albino cheetah.

Or it could just stand for Fruit Doctor.

Jasconius on
  • LineNoizLineNoiz Registered User regular
    edited February 2005
    Frag Doll? He is a pretty pretty princess, after all...

LineNoiz on