As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PAL release of Mortal Kombat Armageddon (Wii)

Resident0Resident0 Registered User regular
edited June 2007 in Games and Technology
So, this game came out today in the UK, I've had it on preorder for ages been looking forward to it, but lately been getting a few bad words said about it, like how 'unresponsive' the Wiimote controls are, and how difficult it is to pull moves off.

Having put a solid day into the game, I can say one thing, and that is... The game is great!

The Wiimote controls aren't at all slow, laggy, unresponsive or otherwise, and the graphics are slightly better than the XBOX version of the game, and the punch/kick/throw buttons on the DPAD are a masterstroke, enabling me to quickly tap out a combo and then swing a special move into it...

Just wanted to know what you guys thought of the game, and whether it deserved most of the negative criticism it received?

sig.gif
Resident0 on

• Options
    slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Actually, the criticisms against it were NOT related to its controls per se.

Most reviews were actually surprised at how well the wiimote controls/gestures work, and how satifying they can be.

The game is essentially the same as the previous release, except that it has >~Xbox graphics, it runs at 60 frames/sec at 480p, and it has 1 extra character (Khameleon). It of course has Wiimote controls.

What reviewers rated it down for was the fact that it is simply a rerelease of a 6 month old game, and while the wii controls are very functional, they don't really make the game much more compelling than the PS2/Xb versions. It's $50 for a game that has been out for a while, minus internet multiplayer. That's where the reviews ragged on it for. Some reviewers didn't like the Dpad for punches/kicks, but usually they liked the wiimote gesture controls.

Personally, I'm not much of an MK fan, but I like to keep up with fighting games on the various systems. This one seems like a solid game, and I'd probably get it if I enjoyed the MK games, and if I didn't already own the PS2/Xb version. I guess it's really aimed at people who didn't have PS2/Xbs, or skipped Armageddon because they felt like it was too samey to Deception, or just didn't get around to buying it before, or something.

It's a good game, it works well on the Wii, it runs and looks great. It's just that it's really an old game, and it's $50 retail. Rival Swords was hit with the same criticisms (although reviews were more mixed about the controls in Rival Swords).

slash000 on
  • Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Rival Swords also got panned for censoring its content. MKA added an endurance mode and Khameleon.

You think it looks BETTER than the other versions? Anybody played it have this opinion?

I had it for the PS2 until I sold my console and was thinking about picking up the Wii version.

Lindsay Lohan on
  • Options
    slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Most reviews say that it looks roughly equal to the Xbox version, and that ones of its 'selling points' is that it runs fluidly at 60 frames/sec. So, yeah, I guess it looks and runs well. I think it runs in 480p, too.

slash000 on