As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Oblivion! (NSF56k)

• Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Silpheed wrote: »
    The rate of experience gaining between the different magic shools are a bit off as well, Restoration is a true horror to level while Conjuration practically throws the master level at you.
    Probably because you use restoration a lot, while you use maybe 3 conjuration spells per minute max.

Aldo on
  • Options
    noobertnoobert Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Don't make a set of armor that gives you 100% + chameleon.... it will ruin the game for you.

Also, make you totally inviable always.

noobert on
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Aldo wrote: »
    The rate of experience gaining between the different magic shools are a bit off as well, Restoration is a true horror to level while Conjuration practically throws the master level at you.
    Probably because you use restoration a lot, while you use maybe 3 conjuration spells per minute max.
    I'm not really sure at what point in the game you're both
    a) casting the healing spell all the time and
    b) have the magicka to actually do it.

I mean, having the magicka to cast that much kinda implies you've already levelled the fuck out of it and the lower levelling speed is kind of too late. It's a real pain in the ass starting off, when a single healing spell eats up a third of your bar and heals you less than a single punch takes away. At least that's what I found on my current playthrough; I had to purposefully grind the fucker to make it even worth using over Destruction.

Glal on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Glal wrote: »
    I'm not really sure at what point in the game you're both
    a) casting the healing spell all the time and
    b) have the magicka to actually do it.

I mean, having the magicka to cast that much kinda implies you've already levelled the fuck out of it and the lower levelling speed is kind of too late. It's a real pain in the ass starting off, when a single healing spell eats up a third of your bar and heals you less than a single punch takes away. At least that's what I found on my current playthrough; I had to purposefully grind the fucker to make it even worth using over Destruction.
    Hm, my mana and health kind of go up on an even rate. (Both way low, agi maxed out)

Also: Welkynd Stones. :^:

Aldo on
  • Options
    gumruckergumrucker regular
    edited June 2007
    Don't get me wrong, I love this game. A lot.

I know I'll be echoing what alot of people have already expressed, but my number one gripe with Oblivion is all the features they removed. Like levatation (because of city cells obviously), spears (why, oh why? My argonian is lost in this world), sperate axe/hammer long/small blade catagories (i mean really, an axe isn't blunt), medium armor and the lack of more 'light-looking' light armor (c'mon, anything past leather armor doesn't even look light), and even hitting things with staves. All of these things (besides levatation perhaps) would have been realativly easy to implement in the final product. Add a new skill catagory, and some new meshes, skins and animations, and all those thing would be back.

Even with that said, I enjoy the game world a lot, only slightly less than Morrowind, and I think all in all it's a great game. I've been meaning to pick up shivering Isles, and I might have to make a looney character to go along with it.

This might label me a complete noob, but what exactly does the acronym OOO mean, I'm not familiar with it.

gumrucker on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    gumrucker wrote: »
    Don't get me wrong, I love this game. A lot.

I know I'll be echoing what alot of people have already expressed, but my number one gripe with Oblivion is all the features they removed. Like levatation (because of city cells obviously), spears (why, oh why? My argonian is lost in this world), sperate axe/hammer long/small blade catagories (i mean really, an axe isn't blunt), medium armor and the lack of more 'light-looking' light armor (c'mon, anything past leather armor doesn't even look light), and even hitting things with staves. All of these things (besides levatation perhaps) would have been realativly easy to implement in the final product. Add a new skill catagory, and some new meshes, skins and animations, and all those thing would be back.

Even with that said, I enjoy the game world a lot, only slightly less than Morrowind, and I think all in all it's a great game. I've been meaning to pick up shivering Isles, and I might have to make a looney character to go along with it.

This might label me a complete noob, but what exactly does the acronym OOO mean, I'm not familiar with it.
    Obscura's Oblivion Overhaul, it is an add-on that changes a few dozen things in the game, among which a mod that sets the level of some enemies in stone. So you can't murder Umbra on level one with your lousy equipment anymore. Which is great. :D

I think they simplified the game a lot to make it easier for the average console gamer. Less options = less ways to screw up.

Aldo on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Obscura's Oblivion Overhaul, it is an add-on that changes a few dozen things in the game, among which a mod that sets the level of some enemies in stone. So you can't murder Umbra on level one with your lousy equipment anymore. Which is great. :D

Ah, I see. I will have to look into that. Thanks for the info.

I think they simplified the game a lot to make it easier for the average console gamer. Less options = less ways to screw up.

Wait, I'm confused. Is this a mod for the 360? I didn't think that was possible. Or is it a mod that makes the PC game easy enough for a console gamer?

gumrucker on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Ah, I see. I will have to look into that. Thanks for the info.

Wait, I'm confused. Is this a mod for the 360? I didn't think that was possible. Or is it a mod that makes the PC game easy enough for a console gamer?
    Sorry, the latter part was a reply to the rest of your post in which you complained that they kicked out a few spells and skills.

Aldo on
  • Options
    SilpheedSilpheed Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Which would be a bit strange sine TES has always been about choice and lots of options. My guess is that Bethesda wanted to release this game as quickly as possible so they axed a lot of stuff that would take too much time to implement. I hope that they take their time with the next TES, so that we'll get the good stuff from both Morrowind and Oblivion.

Silpheed on
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I actually like that they condensed some of the weapon/armour/etc categories. It means you can use a larger diversity of weapons and armours without having to train them up due to not having needed the skill before.

Glal on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Sorry, the latter part was a reply to the rest of your post in which you complained that they kicked out a few spells and skills.

Okey dokey. Got it. On that note, did morrowind translate well to the xbox? (I never played the Xbox version). Or did the things I mentioned they took out of oblivion make the console game to hard? Was this a valid reason for removing them from Oblivion? These are questions I have wondered about.

gumrucker on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    You know, it always ticks me off that 2h weapons are so slow. :(

Aldo on
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited June 2007
    I find the biggest problem with playing console games is not accidentally forgetting to keep my head upright and poking my eye out with the analogue sticks. Also keeping my endless drooling from gumming up the X Box.

Honestly, I don't know what it is that makes my IQ drop 100 points when I'm being a "console gamer", but presumably it's the same thing that makes people into insufferable, patronising, condescending, cancer-deserving pricks every time they talk about a game that was released on more than one platform.

Tube on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    I find the biggest problem with playing console games is not accidentally forgetting to keep my head upright and poking my eye out with the analogue sticks. Also keeping my endless drooling from gumming up the X Box.

Honestly, I don't know what it is that makes my IQ drop 100 points when I'm being a "console gamer", but presumably it's the same thing that makes people into insufferable, patronising, condescending, cancer-deserving pricks every time they talk about a game that was released on more than one platform.
    The aaaaaveeeeerrrrraaaaaaaggggeeeee console gamer. D:

Aldo on
  • Options
    edited June 2007

The aaaaaveeeeerrrrraaaaaaaggggeeeee console gamer. D:

Do you think that makes the statement any less elitist and retarded?
    It doesn't

Tube on
  • Options
    edited June 2007

Oh whoa, I'm sorry, my coments were in no way intended to be a flame!

When I said "too hard", I was not implying that gamer was too dumb to use these features, but these features were too hard to implemant or use with a console control scheme. For instance the controlling of levatation, is that more difficult on a console? Not is the console gamer too dumb to use it?

I can see how my comments could've been misunderstood. I'm sorry if I offended people, that was not my intent. I need to illustrate my point more clearly next time.

gumrucker on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    I believe levitation was removed partly because of how the cities now work, and partly because it was a game design nightmare.

Tube on
  • Options
    tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Levitation was taken out primarily due to the cities being their own instances and not being rendered fully in the overworld. That was my understanding, at least.

EDIT - D:

tyrannus on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    I realize the lack of levatation in Oblivion was due to the new city mechanics, but how well did it work in Morrowind on the Xbox? I was just curious.

gumrucker on
  • Options
    thorgotthorgot there is special providence in the fall of a sparrowRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I believe levitation was removed partly because of how the cities now work, and partly because it was a game design nightmare.

In that it basically forces the developer to stick lots of neat things in high places, which many people will never see, and somehow manage to balance using levitation against melee NPCS.

I don't see the big deal with removing any of the skills, weapons and spells Bethesda did, anyways. Seriously, how many people used throwing weapons?

thorgot on
    campionthorgotsig.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    thorgot wrote: »

In that it basically forces the developer to stick lots of neat things in high places, which many people will never see, and somehow manage to balance using levitation against melee NPCS.

I don't see the big deal with removing any of the skills, weapons and spells Bethesda did, anyways. Seriously, how many people used throwing weapons?

Me...
    And I used spears and medium armor. I was confused then deeply saddened when I saw the skill list for the first time.

gumrucker on
  • Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    edited June 2007

Me...
    And I used spears and medium armor. I was confused then deeply saddened when I saw the skill list for the first time.
    Considering there were about three complete sets of medium armor in the entire game (pre-tribunal, at least), you are a trooper.

Der Waffle Mous on
    Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Options
    SilpheedSilpheed Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    WHY wrote: »

Me...
    Considering there were about three complete sets of medium armor in the entire game (pre-tribunal, at least), you are a trooper.
    Good to see that someone else went the same road I did. Good Medium armour was a bitch to find and so were decent spears.

Silpheed on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    WHY wrote: »

Me...
    Good to see that someone else went the same road I did. Good Medium armour was a bitch to find and so were decent spears.

Word! But that made it much more challanging/rewarding! Ebony mail kicked ass.

gumrucker on
  • Options
    SudsSuds Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I refuse to install this game on my new computer.

For the sake of my marriage.

Suds on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Suds wrote: »

That's probably a wise, wise choice. Either that or get your spouse hooked.

So what does everybody like to RP in Oblivion?

If I just play the game as I like, 90% of the time, I end up as a ninja/thief/assassin. The other 10% is a magic-fueled ninja/thief/assassin. So I often start new games with specific RPing goals in mind.

One of my personal favorites is RPing a Paladin. Just cause it's so friggin hard! I really have to suppress my internal rogue tendencies when playing a Paladin.

One of my more rewarding Oblivion RP experinces was when a RPed a "Woodsman" a ranger of sorts. Living off the land, defending innocent creatures, and hardly ever setting foot in a city (aside from certain quests, and purchases). It really buggered me when I thought about Hircine's (the "hunter's") quest, cause I kinda viewed him as my patron Daedra, but then, I had to slaughter and innocent unicorn? Meh. I needs me a 'druidic' daedra.

gumrucker on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    You know what I've never done in Oblivion? A "what works best" run through. Where I just say fuck roleplaying and choose the best skills.

Tube on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Hm, I've never really roleplayed in Oblivion...Well, other than being a remorseless murderer and thief, of course. I suppose this counts as a "what works best"-run.

Aldo on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Come to think of it, I've never done a powergaming run through Oblivion either. Hmm... Could be a nice change.

gumrucker on
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Suds wrote: »

That's probably a wise, wise choice. Either that or get your spouse hooked.

So what does everybody like to RP in Oblivion?

If I just play the game as I like, 90% of the time, I end up as a ninja/thief/assassin. The other 10% is a magic-fueled ninja/thief/assassin. So I often start new games with specific RPing goals in mind.

One of my personal favorites is RPing a Paladin. Just cause it's so friggin hard! I really have to suppress my internal rogue tendencies when playing a Paladin.

One of my more rewarding Oblivion RP experinces was when a RPed a "Woodsman" a ranger of sorts. Living off the land, defending innocent creatures, and hardly ever setting foot in a city (aside from certain quests, and purchases). It really buggered me when I thought about Hircine's (the "hunter's") quest, cause I kinda viewed him as my patron Daedra, but then, I had to slaughter and innocent unicorn? Meh. I needs me a 'druidic' daedra.

I was really upset about killing the Unicorn, but, after killing his guardians, I found him dead on the ground. I shrugged, picked up his horn and went whistling back to Hircine.

I guess it had something to do with my previous visit to Harcane Grove, when I got scared by the minotaurs (I was really low level) and just ran through the area. The unicorn was probably killed by something I had Aggroed.

Stormwatcher on
    Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    I was really upset about killing the Unicorn, but, after killing his guardians, I found him dead on the ground. I shrugged, picked up his horn and went whistling back to Hircine.

I guess it had something to do with my previous visit to Harcane Grove, when I got scared by the minotaurs (I was really low level) and just ran through the area. The unicorn was probably killed by something I had Aggroed.

Well that worked out from an RP perspective, eh?

It is fun riding around on that unicorn... If only they had some magical fairies and rainbows to go with it!
    (All in jest :P)

gumrucker on
  • Options
    DaricDaric Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I just got this game yesterday. I'm about 16 hours in and have just been messing around. I'm moving through the Dark Brotherhood quests, was just made Grand Champion of the Arena, and am trying to find the stupid flowers to pick because I accidentally got kicked out of the mages' guild. I tried to talk to the alchemist right as he raised a bottle up to his face. It counted as me stealing it and I got kicked out and sent to jail.

Daric on
    cc61181c22f23454a304a4f1f0867845044.gif
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Daric wrote: »
    I just got this game yesterday. I'm about 16 hours in and have just been messing around. I'm moving through the Dark Brotherhood quests, was just made Grand Champion of the Arena, and am trying to find the stupid flowers to pick because I accidentally got kicked out of the mages' guild. I tried to talk to the alchemist right as he raised a bottle up to his face. It counted as me stealing it and I got kicked out and sent to jail.
    O_o
    Now that is crap luck.
    I didn't even realize that was possible.
    But it makes for a good story nonetheless

gumrucker on
  • Options
    thorgotthorgot there is special providence in the fall of a sparrowRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I'm pretty sure that's impossible. You can't grab stuff out of someone else's hands. Are you sure you didn't accidentally grab something on the table?

thorgot on
    campionthorgotsig.jpg
  • Options
    JohnBelushiJohnBelushi Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Has anyone ever jumped one of the town walls?

JohnBelushi on
    jbsig.jpg
  • Options
    DaricDaric Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I may have. I don't know. I just wanted to sell him some stuff and now I have to go rooting around for some plants, none of which I have even seen yet.

Daric on
    cc61181c22f23454a304a4f1f0867845044.gif
  • Options
    WhardyWhardy Registered User regular
    edited June 2007

Yeah, but it isn't that great. It's easy to jump into Cheydinhal with a high acrobatics, or out of Bravil or Bruma. You just get a half rendered world where often everything except mountains is just empty, revealing the sky box below. In the cities it's just a few poorly textured really small buildings.

As for 'what works best' I used for my last character:

Armorer
    Acrobatics
    Athletics
    Blade
    Mercantile
    Restoration
    Heavy Armor

Warrior sign, Nord, no idea what my favoured attributes were. I also just used blunt instead of blade as Nords start with really high blunt so I got good strength multipliers, then switched to Blade when Blunt maxed out and I needed something to level me up. (would that be considered 'cheating' the system or whatever you were referring to when you were talking about grinding magic skills for multipliers?) You can also just sneak around all the time as you end up in close combat anyway. I hate mercantile, though, it takes ages to level. Don't choose mercantile.

Even though I have a couple of igh level characters I only just completed the Dark Brotherhood quest line and I can only say that it lived up to everything I wanted from Oblivion. A few of my friends said they found the quests boring, which proves that it's not just the excellent writing, but the endless possibilities for each 'mark' that make it. You just need some imagination.

Whardy on
  • Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Whardy wrote: »

Yeah, but it isn't that great. It's easy to jump into Cheydinhal with a high acrobatics, or out of Bravil or Bruma. You just get a half rendered world where often everything except mountains is just empty, revealing the sky box below. In the cities it's just a few poorly textured really small buildings.

If you had the Open Cities mod then jumping walls would be more awesome / usefull.

Axen on
    A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Axen wrote: »
    Whardy wrote: »

If you had the Open Cities mod then jumping walls would be more awesome / usefull.

That's where the warp zone is, actually.

august on
  • Options
    BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I finally gave in and ordered this game because of this thread. Here's hoping you all know what you're talking about.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970