As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

LTTP: Fable: The Lost Chapters.

EtericEteric Registered User regular
edited July 2007 in Games and Technology
So, I've been playing Fable as of late. The game has a serious bad rap due to the insane hype it had on release, and I suspect many people are still bitter about it.

But the PC version + $20 + Extra content = Bought.

And really, it's one of the best $20 I've spent in a long time, really. Probably one of the only english RPGs I've ever really enjoyed.

Anyone else jump on this game again? There are a few issues (such as character age, eek), but all around it's a great game.

Oh, and for those who have beaten it.
I've beaten the first Jack, and I'm on my way to taking on the second Jack. Any tips? I'm grinding right now, I maxed all my strength related stuff, and I'm not about to up the combat speed one in "skills." I haven't done much spell grinding yet, unfortunately, but as soon as I get the weapon speed up I'm gonna concentrate on that.

eatfranks5.png
Eteric on

• Options
    revolverevolve Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Make sure you've mastered how to dodge well(by rolling), as Dragon Jack is crazy with the attacks

revolve on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2007
    you might want to change that spoiler, revolve. that's a suprise up until you meet him. just change it to
    "2nd jack"

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    SpikedFreakSpikedFreak Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I picked up at $10 new right before the Lost Chapters version came out. I enjoyed the heck out of the game, and now I'm going to have start a new run through.

SpikedFreak on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    you might want to change that spoiler, revolve. that's a suprise up until you meet him. just change it to
    "2nd jack"

Hmm? You mean the last part?

Eteric on
    eatfranks5.png
  • Options
    QuintileQuintile Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I've been playing it a bit recently as well and when I first bought it I was really disappointed and that made me enjoy it a lot less, so much so that I stopped playing it fairly early on. Now that a couple years have gone by, I gave it another shot and have enjoyed it a lot more than before.

I'd say the most annoying thing is the fact that you can't control the color of your hair, or the fact that you get a shit load of scars. They made a nice system for customizing your look, but there are a few problems.

I'm having fun though, woo.

Quintile on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Quintile wrote: »
    I've been playing it a bit recently as well and when I first bought it I was really disappointed and that made me enjoy it a lot less, so much so that I stopped playing it fairly early on. Now that a couple years have gone by, I gave it another shot and have enjoyed it a lot more than before.

I'd say the most annoying thing is the fact that you can't control the color of your hair, or the fact that you get a shit load of scars. They made a nice system for customizing your look, but there are a few problems.

Yeah, this is one of my complaints as well. Though, I can understand the staying scars.

I hope they do away with the age system next time, and just have your character change more dramatically. as he chooses good or evil.

Eteric on
    eatfranks5.png
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2007
    Quintile wrote: »

Wear a helmet or learn to block. You'll get a lot less or no scars on your face.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Heh, I'm scar city unfortunately. Hard to block and roll, etc with the mouse and keyboard. :|

Question. Spells that imbue your weapons (multistrike, etc), do they stack?

Oh, and where can I buy more potions? Every store is out. :(

Eteric on
    eatfranks5.png
  • Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Eteric wrote: »
    As far as I know, the only thing you need to do is lounge about for a few days so that the stories get the chance to restock.

Wonder how you ran out of potions, though. Don't you use the healing spell or something?

WotanAnubis on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    As far as I know, the only thing you need to do is lounge about for a few days so that the stories get the chance to restock.

Wonder how you ran out of potions, though. Don't you use the healing spell or something?

Yeah, but unfortunately I didn't spot it until later in the game. I've hardly ever used it, in fact.

That's another one I need to level up. :\

Eteric on
    eatfranks5.png
  • Options
    cfgausscfgauss Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Heh, I'm scar city unfortunately. Hard to block and roll, etc with the mouse and keyboard. :|

Yeah, the keyboard controls kinda suck. It's much more natural on the xbox. And I don't really like the lack of customizability, or the small change in appearance between good/evil.

Does anyone know what Fable 2 is planning to include that was left out of the first one?

cfgauss on
    The hero and protagonist, whose story the book follows, is the aptly-named Hiro Protagonist: "Last of the freelance hackers and Greatest sword fighter in the world." When Hiro loses his job as a pizza delivery driver for the Mafia, he meets a streetwise young girl nicknamed Y.T. (short for Yours Truly), who works as a skateboard "Kourier", and they decide to become partners in the intelligence business.
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    cfgauss wrote: »

Yeah, the keyboard controls kinda suck. It's much more natural on the xbox. And I don't really like the lack of customizability, or the small change in appearance between good/evil.

Does anyone know what Fable 2 is planning to include that was left out of the first one?

I tried using my game controller (PS2 in this case) to PC dongle to use my PS2 controller to play it, but it didn't work. :(

Eteric on
    eatfranks5.png
  • Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Slow Time + Multishot/Berserk is pretty much the cheapest way to win. It takes one, maybe two minutes to beat the final boss.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    Bendery It Like BeckhamBendery It Like Beckham Hopeless Registered User regular
    edited June 2007

Maybe fable 2 will be what they said fable 1 was going to be.

cause fable 1 is not what they described

Bendery It Like Beckham on
  • Options
    TalithTalith 変態という名の紳士 Miami, FLRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Slow Time + Multishot/Berserk is pretty much the cheapest way to win. It takes one, maybe two minutes to beat the final boss.

Archery + Personal Shield + Slowtime + Multishot = Super WTF easy-mode.

Beating the game without any scars, plus still relatively young.

Played like that on my second run, after my Sword-Spell style run.

Talith on
    7244qyoka3pp.gif
  • Options
    GimpyBoyGimpyBoy Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Bendery wrote: »

Maybe fable 2 will be what they said fable 1 was going to be.

cause fable 1 is not what they described

I hope not. Because half the shit they talked about in Fable 1 was entirely pointless and I'm glad it's not in there.

GimpyBoy on
    GimpyBoy.gif
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    GimpyBoy wrote: »
    I hope not. Because half the shit they talked about in Fable 1 was entirely pointless and I'm glad it's not in there.

I don't remember most of what was supposed to be in it, but Fable 2 has this stupid ass dog. What the hell kind of evil person has a puppy?

cfgauss on
    The hero and protagonist, whose story the book follows, is the aptly-named Hiro Protagonist: "Last of the freelance hackers and Greatest sword fighter in the world." When Hiro loses his job as a pizza delivery driver for the Mafia, he meets a streetwise young girl nicknamed Y.T. (short for Yours Truly), who works as a skateboard "Kourier", and they decide to become partners in the intelligence business.
  • Options
    SilpheedSilpheed Registered User regular
    edited June 2007

I don't remember most of what was supposed to be in it, but Fable 2 has this stupid ass dog. What the hell kind of evil person has a puppy?
    If you are evil it will mutate into a big badtempered Mastiff/Rottweiler, that sounds good enough for an evil player to me..

Silpheed on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Silpheed wrote: »

If you are evil it will mutate into a big badtempered Mastiff/Rottweiler, that sounds good enough for an evil player to me..

evilpuppy3.jpg

cfgauss on
  • Options
    WibodWibod Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Talith wrote: »

Archery + Personal Shield + Slowtime + Multishot = Super WTF easy-mode.

Beating the game without any scars, plus still relatively young.

Played like that on my second run, after my Sword-Spell style run.
    Maxing out combat speed and using berserk with multistrike results in everything dieing really fast. Even those gay trolls in the arena that continually knock you down.

Aging wouldn't be so bad if it didn't happen so fast.

Wibod on
  • Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Did any decent mods ever come out for this? I played through the original on Xbox, then played though TLC on PC. I'd consider another playthrough if there were some decent mods to tempt me.

Sir Carcass on
  • Options
    Magus`Magus` The fun has been DOUBLED! Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Fable is an awesome game that is too easy to abuse. Learning the magic shield (and mastering it) early will make you unkillable. Not to mention the fact that getting hit while the shield is up doesn't stop your combat multiplier, letting you reap the experience bonuses.

Not to mention you can get the Blutane (sp?) really early this way and at that time it will be the strongest weapon you get for 80% of the game. =P

Magus` on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Did any decent mods ever come out for this? I played through the original on Xbox, then played though TLC on PC. I'd consider another playthrough if there were some decent mods to tempt me.

Not really, people were trying to figure out how to make tatoos and such, but it was some overly complicated process and wasn't worth th hassle. I think the most people did were make trainers that could change your age and how many scars you have. I think they may have also found out a way to change eye colours.

Wibod on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Wibod wrote: »

Not really, people were trying to figure out how to make tatoos and such, but it was some overly complicated process and wasn't worth th hassle. I think the most people did were make trainers that could change your age and how many scars you have. I think they may have also found out a way to change eye colours.
    The ability to change your age in a mod I downloaded was a godsend. I hate looking like I should be keeling over with the next breath while all my friends from the guild look the same no matter what.

Silpheed on
  • Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I found some modding tools at forums.projectego.net. I guess I'll play around with them a bit.

Sir Carcass on
  • Options
    DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I used to have this game but now it refuses to run on my computer. I just start it up and it crashes before it even gets to the main menu. Anyone know why or how to fix this?

Daedalus on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    I used to have this game but now it refuses to run on my computer. I just start it up and it crashes before it even gets to the main menu. Anyone know why or how to fix this?
    If you have Windows Blinds or any UI mods for Windows on it will crash the game on startup. Microsoft really dropped the ball on that issue, since they refuse to even patch it.

Wibod on
  • Options
    Magus`Magus` The fun has been DOUBLED! Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Someday I need to play through this game as an Archer/Mage. It's just so damn easy as a meelee fighter.

Magus` on
  • Options
    BlueDestinyBlueDestiny Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I actually enjoyed Fable, probably because I didn't know very much about it and the hype before playing it. I thought the scars were a nice touch because it adds some character to your...character. Especially if you're lucky and manage to get a wolf to slice you evenly across the face.

BlueDestiny on
  • Options
    TzenTzen Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I am tempted to pick this game up every time I pass it on the shelf. But the graphical style looks so gay, and I hate Peter Molyface.

Was anyone else turned off by the goofy, cartoonish look but tried the game and found it enjoyable anyway?

Tzen on
  • Options
    DarkSymphonyDarkSymphony Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    i remember being all excited by all the hype the game got and everything peter said the game would be. Then it was released and I loved it. I took a minute to tell myself there was no way in hell it could have possibly lived up to what it was supposed to be, and enjoyed it for what it was:

The Xbox "zelda-esque" game. It's very fun if you just kick back and have a fun time with it, trying not to get caught up in what it could have been.

DarkSymphony on
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Wibod wrote: »
    Aging wouldn't be so bad if it didn't happen so fast.
    Seconded. It wasn't a bad 'concept', but it's basically done in real time.

When I finally found
    my mother
    I was older than they were.

Also, it wasn't a factor for me originally, but it's also hard to play evil. Even just wandering around between cities and getting attacked by creatures, killing them gets you 'good' points with the citizens. The only way to maintain evil is to act like an ass to everybody. Too much work to keep the horns if you ask me.

Did they do anything about that for the Lost Chapters?

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    You could go from pure good to pure evil in about 15 mins by just going on a rampage in a town. Respawning guards makes it quite easy.

BionicPenguin on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    i remember being all excited by all the hype the game got and everything peter said the game would be. Then it was released and I loved it. I took a minute to tell myself there was no way in hell it could have possibly lived up to what it was supposed to be, and enjoyed it for what it was:

The Xbox "zelda-esque" game. It's very fun if you just kick back and have a fun time with it, trying not to get caught up in what it could have been.
    It's just a shame that Fable was so damn short and boxed in. The game could really have benefited from a few more hamlets/cities and open areas.

Silpheed on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Silpheed wrote: »

It's just a shame that Fable was so damn short and boxed in. The game could really have benefited from a few more hamlets/cities and open areas.
    That was my main complaint about the game, that and on release day it ran like utter shit on ATI cards.

Wibod on
  • Options
    RedShellRedShell Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I keep trying to finish this game and keep failing. Maybe it's because I multi-classed it, but I've felt underpowered the whole time. I like the graphics and the music is nice, but I keep thinking that this game would be better with a party of characters.

I was more impressed with the intro to the game (childhood) than I've been with the game itself.

RedShell on
    Homing In Imperfectly?
    Pokemans D/P: 1289 4685 0522
  • Options
    JohnBelushiJohnBelushi Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I bought lost chapters not to long ago because i had played the original. To be honest, There wasn't much diffference besides the story you could play after the main one, and the different weapons and armors

JohnBelushi on
    jbsig.jpg
  • Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I bought lost chapters not to long ago because i had played the original. To be honest, There wasn't much diffference besides the story you could play after the main one, and the different weapons and armors

That was kind of the whole point Mr. Belushi.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    EdcrabEdcrab Actually a hack Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Tzen wrote: »
    I am tempted to pick this game up every time I pass it on the shelf. But the graphical style looks so gay, and I hate Peter Molyface.

Was anyone else turned off by the goofy, cartoonish look but tried the game and found it enjoyable anyway?

Well, I managed to play Psychonauts and like it depsite the art style. I can see why Fable might put other people off too.

It won't win any prizes for design or originality, but I found it thoroughly enjoyable. Then again I'd completely missed all the original hype...

Edcrab on
    cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • Options
    OneEyedJackOneEyedJack Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I enjoy games that let me decapitate a dude with an arrow, then kick his head around the field.

OneEyedJack on
    1089605-1.png?1281667433