As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Bustin' [chat]s

• Options
    HaphazardHaphazard Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Wow, sucks, Rissa. :(

<3<3<3, A_J!

Haphazard on
  • Options
    ViolentChemistryViolentChemistry __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2007
    japan wrote: »
    Aldo wrote: »
    My girlfriend would be so annoyed about this if she saw it.
    your girlfriend sucks. D:

I'm not sure if that's an innuendo or not, and the D: is just confusing.

Actually, the stuff she's doing is pretty interesting. It's an area called "reception studies", which is basically looking at historical translations, (especially from Victorian Britain and early US history - they were both big on idealising the classical republics) alongside original texts, and looking at where things have been omitted/censored/deliberately mistranslated to suit the tastes and perceptions of the time. The Victorians, for example, didn't translate anything at all to do with sex, and often changed the gender of fairly significant figures in Classical history so they didn't have to mention boy-sex.

One of the big things in this area (which crosses over from sociology) is the fact that some texts have over fifty different words for various types of slave (different social standings, different roles, different backgrounds) all of which are translated into English simply as "slave". There's a fairly complex social structure there which is being completely ignored by contemporary historians.

Your girlfriend is doing what someone yet needs to do to the bible.

ViolentChemistry on
  • Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    My girlfriend would be so annoyed about this if she saw it.
    your girlfriend sucks. D:

I'm not sure if that's an innuendo or not, and the D: is just confusing.

Actually, the stuff she's doing is pretty interesting. It's an area called "reception studies", which is basically looking at historical translations, (especially from Victorian Britain and early US history - they were both big on idealising the classical republics) alongside original texts, and looking at where things have been omitted/censored/deliberately mistranslated to suit the tastes and perceptions of the time. The Victorians, for example, didn't translate anything at all to do with sex, and often changed the gender of fairly significant figures in Classical history so they didn't have to mention boy-sex.

One of the big things in this area (which crosses over from sociology) is the fact that some texts have over fifty different words for various types of slave (different social standings, different roles, different backgrounds) all of which are translated into English simply as "slave". There's a fairly complex social structure there which is being completely ignored by contemporary historians.

Your girlfriend is doing what someone yet needs to do to the bible.
    I think that has already been done a few times. :P See: Luther.

No, I didn't mean it as innuendo, japan. :P

That actually sounds like something really interesting to do.

Aldo on
  • Options
    edited June 2007

Yeah because I'm gonna trust a guy who got a religion named after him. o_O

ViolentChemistry on
  • Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    http://www.conservapedia.com/Edinburgh
    The famous author Sir Walter Scott wrote a novel The Heart of Midlothian based around the early days of the club and its founder Vladimir Romanov, an exile from Tsarist Russia and friend of the author Alexander Pushkin.

O_o

NB: Heart of Midlothian are an Edinburgh-based football club.

japan on
  • Options
    edited June 2007

I didn't say you had to trust what he preached. :P I just said that people have been over the bible a few times already, trying to point out how their predecessors twisted words.

Aldo on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    The famous author Sir Walter Scott wrote a novel The Heart of Midlothian based around the early days of the club and its founder Vladimir Romanov, an exile from Tsarist Russia and friend of the author Alexander Pushkin.

O_o

Wait... so the Chelsea thing is not new?

Haphazard on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Haphazard wrote: »
    SCHWING

Aldo on
  • Options
    edited June 2007

O_o

The club was named after the book, not the other way round, the book has nothing to do with the football club. And Vladimir Romanov is the current major shareholder, not the founder. It was founded in 1874.

japan on
  • Options
    edited June 2007

I didn't say you had to trust what he preached. :P I just said that people have been over the bible a few times already, trying to point out how their predecessors twisted words.

But see, I trust japan's girlfriend a lot more than I trust anyone with ties to the church.

ViolentChemistry on
  • Options
    Mai-KeroMai-Kero Registered User regular
    edited June 2007

O_o

The club was named after the book, not the other way round, the book has nothing to do with the football club. And Vladimir Romanov is the current major shareholder, not the founder. It was founded in 1874.

"Conservapedia" what.

Mai-Kero on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Mai-Kero wrote: »

O_o

"Conservapedia" what.

Popped up half a year or so ago because Wiki is a liberal-conspiracy.

ViolentChemistry on
  • Options
    edited June 2007

O_o

Haha, conservapedia, I get it. I thought it was a wiki article. :|

Haphazard on
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    conservapedia may very well be the best unintentional humor ever

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    NerissaNerissa Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    lol...
    Culture

Paganism is still practiced in Edinburgh. Every 30th April sees the Pagan Beltane Fire Festival conducted on Calton Hill near Edinburgh City Centre.[1]

That's the entire "Culture" section... makes it sound like the whole city is full of baby-sacrificing druids who haven't progressed past the rise of the Roman Empire.

Nerissa on
  • Options
    edited June 2007

O_o

"Conservapedia" what.

Oh my, this is classy.
    "Recently the site announced that it has reached 11,000 articles created. Additionally, the site has 8,000 registered usernames of which about 3000 are permanently blocked"

Mai-Kero on
  • Options
    ALockslyALocksly Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    somone finnaly got around to updating my entry for "scientific method" but my addition to the "alcohol" entry is still there I see.

Noah, you drunkard you.

ALocksly on
    Yes,... yes, I agree. It's totally unfair that sober you gets into trouble for things that drunk you did.
  • Options
    Andrew_JayAndrew_Jay Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    O_o

NB: Heart of Midlothian are an Edinburgh-based football club.
    Oh, Conservapedia . . .
    Edinburgh is the current capital of Scotland.

Edinburgh has a population of around half a million souls.

Culture

Paganism is still practiced in Edinburgh.

Andrew_Jay on
  • Options
    edited June 2007

"Conservapedia" what.

It's hilarious, even without the vandalism (which it attracts in droves). They go on to say that Paganism is practised in Edinburgh, their reasoning being the Beltane Fire Festival which is held there.

Man. I don't want to know what they'd think of Up Helly Aa, or any of the New Years celebrations involving fire rituals.

japan on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Boy, Japan. You really got me there.

Haphazard on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Oh my, this is classy.
    "Recently the site announced that it has reached 11,000 articles created. Additionally, the site has 8,000 registered usernames of which about 3000 are permanently blocked"
    :lol:

Aldo on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    from their front page
    Liberal bias at the BBC admitted! "Senior figures at the corporation were forced to admit it was guilty of promoting Left-wing views and an anti-Christian sentiment." See the Daily Mail story. Why can't Wikipedia admit the same thing???

I was under the impression that the Daily Mail was a... shall we say less than trustworthy source? Am I getting it mixed up with something else?

Nerissa on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Nerissa wrote: »
    from their front page

I was under the impression that the Daily Mail was a... shall we say less than trustworthy source? Am I getting it mixed up with something else?
    I think their frontpage says it all: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/dailymail/home.html?in_page_id=1766

Aldo on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    mmmm

Australian wine, English tea, and what I presume was a Japanese chicken.

ALocksly on
    Yes,... yes, I agree. It's totally unfair that sober you gets into trouble for things that drunk you did.
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited June 2007

"Conservapedia" what.

It's hilarious, even without the vandalism (which it attracts in droves). They go on to say that Paganism is practised in Edinburgh, their reasoning being the Beltane Fire Festival which is held there.

Man. I don't want to know what they'd think of Up Helly Aa, or any of the New Years celebrations involving fire rituals.

That is hilarious.
    American Civil War (1861 to 1865) (commonly called "The War Between The States" by Southerners).
    Who the hell calls it that? It takes too long to say that for most southerners.
    He was actually named Hiram Ulysses Grant by his parents but when he applied for West Point he was accidentally registered Ulysses Simpson Grant. He liked the name better than Hiram Ulysses Grant because it formed the initials H.U.G.
    Source?
    ↑ Encyclopedia of Presidents - Ulysses S. Grant by Zachary Kent, Children's Press, 1989.

Couscous on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    According to Conservapedia:
    leading conservative Christian Pat Robertson [described] Scotland as a "dark country full of homosexuals"

I do like their translation of the motto, though:
    Scotland's motto is Nemo Me Impune Lacessit ("No-one provokes me with impunity")[13] which translates as Wha daur meddle wi me? in Scots and in English as Who would dare mess with me?.

japan on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    I like how the founder of conservapedia describes wikipedia as being "six times more liberal than America."

Mai-Kero on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    from their front page
    Liberal bias at the BBC admitted! "Senior figures at the corporation were forced to admit it was guilty of promoting Left-wing views and an anti-Christian sentiment." See the Daily Mail story. Why can't Wikipedia admit the same thing???

The Daily Mail is a godawful newspaper. It's one of those "Immigrants are stealing our jobs/Homosexuals are all Peadophiles/The wearing of traditional Muslim dress is a threat to our society" type of newspapers.

japan on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    for the best of fun go visit their page on kangaroos

I think they took down the picture of Jesus cradling a smal dinosaur in his arms though

ALocksly on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Didn't conservapedia start as a prank?

Aldo on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    from their front page

The Daily Mail is a godawful newspaper. It's one of those "Immigrants are stealing our jobs/Homosexuals are all Peadophiles/The wearing of traditional Muslim dress is a threat to our society" type of newspapers.

Although it seems to have the occasional humor value as well... apparently, Newton thought the would was going to end in 2060, and because he was such a smart guy, well, he MUST have been right.

Nerissa on
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited June 2007

Sadly no. the founder is a guy from Jersey not too far from where I grew up. I wanna drive down there and punch him in the gonads one of these days.

Also Newton also believed in discovering God through Alchemy....

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    edited June 2007

Sadly no. the founder is a guy from Jersey not too far from where I grew up. I wanna drive down there and punch him in the gonads one of these days.

God damn it, just when i was building up some faith in humanity again. D:

Aldo on
  • Options
    edited June 2007

don't spend too much time there, you get angry, then depressed

ALocksly on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    ok, I have GOT to get some serious work done... no more conservapedia, Daily Mail, or links from either for me :P

Nerissa on
  • Options
    Andrew_JayAndrew_Jay Registered User regular
    edited June 2007

Apparently these are the salient facts when it comes to "Africa":
    Africa is the continent south of Europe and southwest of Asia. Young earth creationist scientists are not in agreement in regards to whether Africa was where man originated. Evolutionists consider Africa to be the birthplace of humanity. Geography described in the Book of Genesis places the Garden of Eden in Ethiopia, and evolutionary science puts Homo Sapiens as originating somewhere in Africa.
    Andrew_Jay deals 999 damage to Aldo's faith in humanity

Andrew_Jay on
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Hey, I just saw your cracks with Latin. Screw you guys!

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Yeah, Newton definitely sniffed one quicksilver ounce too much.

Edit: It's like reading FSTDT, in terms of enragement.

Haphazard on
  • Options
    OboroOboro __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2007
    doot doot doot

two hours to kill

Oboro on
    words
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Andrew_Jay wrote: »