As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Green Lantern Thread

• Options
    KumaKuma Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    This has to be my Oh Shit moment of the year, I loved every color soaked page of this 5 dollar gem

Kuma on
    f7v9h.jpg
  • Options
    FuruFuru Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
  • Options
    SquashuaSquashua __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2007
    Bad Karma wrote: »
    That coming from the guy who spoiled the Lightning Saga for me.

What are you talking about? At most I said they were bringing back Barry Allen, which did not happen.

It did so. Who do you think is in the lightning rod?

Squashua on
  • Options
    graizurgraizur __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2007
    Furu wrote: »

Sounds logical. Although noticing the differences betwean indigo and blue in a comic is going to be difficult. What is that blackstone that has been in Superman the last couple of years?

graizur on
  • Options
    übergeekübergeek Sector 2814Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Squashua wrote: »
    Bad Karma wrote: »
    That coming from the guy who spoiled the Lightning Saga for me.

What are you talking about? At most I said they were bringing back Barry Allen, which did not happen.

It did so. Who do you think is in the lightning rod?

He was referring to the part when Wally popped out and it should have been Barry. I even posted a link to Absorbascon who came up with the Barry theory around issue 3 of the saga. At that point last week, everyone was assuming that Bart was in the rod, then I and others pointed out he had no connection to the speedforce when he died, and Brainy was expecting the Flash that had been at all the locations Barry had been.

Anyway, this is the Sinestro Corps thread, stay on topic before Geebs comes in and starts infractioning.

übergeek on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    ChalkboredChalkbored Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Balefuego wrote: »
    The Sinestro Corps sniper dude was badass
    I hope he isnt dead.

He's probably still alive since, as Sinestro points out to Kyle, you can't use a Green Lantern ring to kill. Unless they changed that.

Chalkbored on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    This is sounding more and more like the Green Lantern Rings are the Force.

graizur on
  • Options
    thisonekidmongothisonekidmongo Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Has the lethal-force failsafe been mentioned before? I guess it must be a fairly new feature, since clearly it wasn't in place when Hal went bonkers.

thisonekidmongo on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Why is Parralax kyle glowing green?

graizur on
  • Options
    RansRans Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    This was so good.

Rans on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    graizur wrote: »
    Great point, he still has the starheart power which was also green, but his whole getup should at the least be a shade of yellow green, or flat out yellow. He can't be fully green like Hal was because he has no lantern energy or ring to draw said pure green aura. It's also not like Para is trying to be all covert about it this time when he made everyone think Hal went bonkers all by himself. I still don't have my copy yet -sigh- but I saw the spoiler image with all the villains, so I saw him in green and reading the spoiler for how Para got in Kyle........a part of me just went "It's not like they're even -trying- to do this second Parallax thing well."

übergeek on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    thisonekidmongothisonekidmongo Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I wondered about this too, but my take on it was that it was for psychological advantage, to make it more immediately visually apparent that Parallax embodies a fallen Lantern.

thisonekidmongo on
  • Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    übergeek wrote: »
    Great point, he still has the starheart power which was also green, but his whole getup should at the least be a shade of yellow green, or flat out yellow. He can't be fully green like Hal was because he has no lantern energy or ring to draw said pure green aura. It's also not like Para is trying to be all covert about it this time when he made everyone think Hal went bonkers all by himself. I still don't have my copy yet -sigh- but I saw the spoiler image with all the villains, so I saw him in green and reading the spoiler for how Para got in Kyle........a part of me just went "It's not like they're even -trying- to do this second Parallax thing well."

Dude, you haven't even read the comic and you're already whining?

august on
  • Options
    BlankspaceBlankspace __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2007
    Why is
    Parralax kyle glowing green?
    It's a very simple explanation. What's scarier for a Lantern?
    "Oh shit, it's a yellow guy in armor, he has to be bad, RUN!" or "Oh, hey. Is that Kyle? Kyle, you where did you g-OH SWEET JESUS EVERYBODY RUN!".

Don't say they are doing
    Parallax Kyle
    wrong. You haven't read the comic. Sit down, shut up and wait till you read it.

Also, SPOILER SHIT YOU IDIOTS, THE COMIC CAME OUT YESTERDAY AND SOME PEOPLE CAN'T MAKE THEIR TRIPS TILL TODAY OR TOMMOROW.

Blankspace on
    SIG.gif
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Why is
    Parralax kyle glowing green?
    It's a very simple explanation. What's scarier for a Lantern?
    "Oh shit, it's a yellow guy in armor, he has to be bad, RUN!" or "Oh, hey. Is that Kyle? Kyle, you where did you g-OH SWEET JESUS EVERYBODY RUN!".

Don't say they are doing
    Parallax Kyle
    wrong. You haven't read the comic. Sit down, shut up and wait till you read it.

Also, SPOILER SHIT YOU IDIOTS, THE COMIC CAME OUT YESTERDAY AND SOME PEOPLE CAN'T MAKE THEIR TRIPS TILL TODAY OR TOMMOROW.
    My theory is that they will say that Parallax is "wearing" Kyle as if her were a green lantern ring

graizur on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Also: I'm not a big regular continuity DC guy and this comic was fucking amazing.

august on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    august wrote: »
    Also: I'm not a big regular continuity DC guy and this comic was fucking amazing.

me too

graizur on
  • Options
    MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I haven't been reading the core GL series since GL Corps pretty much takes care of my need for space cops, but this one shot has me seriously considering going back and getting the trades for Johns' Green Lantern. A very well done issue. I think this is going to end up being DC's Annihilation; a small, relatively self-contained event that manages to completely outshine its larger event cousin critically, if not commercially. For me, it seems like Sinestro Corps War will be to Countdown and Amazons Attack what Annihilation was/is to Civil War and World War Hulk.

Munch on
  • Options
    SentrySentry Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Yeah, they really hit the ball out of the park with this first issue... it was freaking amazing, even with my only passing knowledge of the clusterfuck that is DC continuity.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    [size=+5]ANTI-MONITOR

[/size]
    Just ruining it for anyone who would click a spoiler in this thread. DUH, it said SPOILER.

Squashua on
  • Options
    MonkeydryeMonkeydrye Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I know very little about Lantern Continuity. But dang if that wasn't awesome. And whoever the artist is...pure badassery

Monkeydrye on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    I enjoyed Annihilation because I read a lot of cosmic Marvel stuff as a kid, but I think this is on a whole other level. Both in terms of quality and importance to the status quo of the DCU.

august on
  • Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Parallax Hal used green energy too. I don't know why. Yellow armor would've been cool, but this is more of a nod towards Hal's time as the green meenie.

Golden Yak on
    H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Golden Yak wrote: »
    Parallax Hal used green energy too. I don't know why. Yellow armor would've been cool, but this is more of a nod towards Hal's time as the green meenie.
    Hal killed a bunch of lanterns and took their rings, and drained the central battery, hence his green aura.

übergeek on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Hal killed a bunch of lanterns and took their rings, and drained the central battery, hence his green aura.
    I guess Parallax could just be colored yellow, but he still uses green lantern energy to manifest stuff, rather than the yellow energy Qwarding rings use.

How'd Parallax get there, anyway? Did they bust him out of Oa along with the Cyborg and Superboy-Prime?

Golden Yak on
    H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Look, for whatever reason Parallax enjoyed masquerading as a psychotic murderous Green Lantern for a while. No reason for that to change. It's probably is green for the same reason it gave Kyle quasi-Parallax armor - a perverse sense of irony.

august on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    august wrote: »
    Look, for whatever reason Parallax enjoyed masquerading as a psychotic murderous Green Lantern for a while. No reason for that to change. It's probably is green for the same reason it gave Kyle quasi-Parallax armor - a perverse sense of irony.

YELLOW AND BLUE MAKE GREEN
    Maybe Parallax has help from The Reach?

Squashua on
  • Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited June 2007

Also, remember that until he took control of Hal, Parralax was trapped inside the central power battery

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Ok, just got done reading it, and other then 2 nagging things, it was complete badassery and awesomesauce.

The 2 things I didn't like.
    Number 1 - Anti Monitor. Noithing short of the DC universe calling Marvel 616 and asking to borrow Sentry is going to help them. =) They're already severely overpowered without Anti, throwing him into the mix is just a bit overkill. Plus he's meant to be kinda dead.

Upside - Realistically all the conversations between the Guardians implies, that the Guardians call the Reach(if they count as blue) and Sapphires and whoever represents Indigo to help them, and their combined power and cooperation will save the universe from being engulfed in fear.

Number 2 - Mostly Ion, a little Parallax. OK, I will clarify what I was saying earlier. I will start out by saying that I have read -every- issue of GL v2, v3 and all of v4 to date. I have most of them in my possession in some form or another. I have most of the Annuals and things like mosaic. The only thing I never bothered with was New Guardians. Needless to say I am well veresed in all things GL.

Now for a short history on Ion (hah, this is gonna be long read even for the sort version), After Hal shoots off the rest of the cenrtral battery energy he drained into the Sun and bites it, around this time a guy named Oblivion who is the manifestation of Kyle's fear (since he didn't undergo all the training and wasn't normally screened like all the other lanterns.) start causing trouble and Kyle and a team of multitime/dimensional lanterns in the circle Fire event help him stop Oblivion. These lanterns are manifestations of different aspects of Kyle mind and once they merge with him he discovers a new level to his power to beat Oblivion. He then reintegrates Oblivion into himself and becomes even stronger.

Next through a series of events Kyle absorbs all that spare energy that Hal shot into the sun and that makes him Ion the first time, and more or less a god. This is a result of the way the power he absorbs inrteracts with the powers reintegrating Oblivion gave him. He eventually decides godhood just isn't for him,and gives some power to the powerless Jade at this time,and places the rest back into the central battery, and creates a new set of Guardians to assist Ganthet in remaking the Corps (and this time there's female guardians created). Oh Kilowag is brought back too.like the Guardians.

fast forward to Rann thanagar War last year. Since then Jade has the Starheart inside her as well as the power grnated to her by Kyle. She dies out in spcae while the Crisis is going onback home andd she grants him the power he gave, as well as the starheart, and he once again takes the name of Ion, although not anywhere closee to godhood, he's still the most powerful of the Lanterns.

OKAY, if you survived all that, it leads up to this. In much the same way people thought making a yellow fear bug the cause of Hal going nuts and taking away from a very important element to his downfall, etc. etc. I put forth this idea. It works in reverse. From some point along the above list of events, the ideas and innovations that Kyle made were not solely his own. One itme of proof is that Kyyle picks the name Ion and the green entity is named Ion. Just because Kyle is in the drivers seat consciously, doesn't mean that evrytime Kyle had an idea that we thought was awesome, that it wasn't Ion sticking the idea in his head.

Then there's the issues of how long it's been rattling around in his head. When Hal shot the power in the sun, was Ion in Hal at the same time in all that green power, was he trapped in our yelow sun jsut by chance? When Kyle gave up the power, did Ion go into the battery? Did Ion go into Jade and when she died and gave the power back, that's how he got back into Kyle? It goes back to what feats of heroism were Kyle's and what parts were things he'd have no chance of accomplishing without Ion quietly helping him along. Plus, it seems a little odd that the good entity would hide himself and in some way decieve the people he's supposedly wants to help? That's my opinion based on all the available material and I believe that part could have been done better.

One observation and a prediction. The observation is that since Ion was the green energy and was ripped out o fKyle, and Kyle had no green ring, the only way he should have a green aura is the Starheart. Taking into account that Para is inside him now, I would have preferred a yellowish green(or greenish yellow, whatever) costume or even solid green and yellow pieces of armor. Plus that facemask is ugly as sin.

The Prediction. One of the earth Lnaterns bites it. It's probably John Stewart since he's had the least facetime, and even if you killed Kyle, Para has proved he cna latch onto your soul anyway so it's not like Death would free Kyle. Kyle comes in a close second. Guy is integral to GLC so he'll stick around, and the hilarity of killing Hal again and the subsequent riots and burning down of DCHQ means that most likely won't happen.

Yeah that's alot to read. There's no real way to do a TL;DR version in defending my position.

So, who do the Lanterns call on to help them? Discuss.

übergeek on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    I think the Guardians will have to get directly involved.

Like, on the front lines.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    and as I pointed out Bale, even with them the Corps will be fucked. Ganthet, the most powerful Guardian, was possesed by Parallax last time, and with
    SBP and the Anti-Monitor
    they're twice as fucked.

Blankspace on
    SIG.gif
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    and as I pointed out Bale, even with them the Corps will be fucked. Ganthet, the most powerful Guardian, was possesed by Parallax last time, and with
    SBP and the Anti-Monitor
    they're twice as fucked.

Yes, but he was serverly weakened at the time and now he won't be alone.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    SBP and the Anti-Monitor
    they're twice as fucked.

Yes, but he was serverly weakened at the time and now he won't be alone.
    Even then
    SPB took a fuckton of GLC members, Mogo and two Supermen to take out. The Anti-Monitor took pretty much all of the big guns of the DC multiverse.
    They just seem unmatched.

But as we said yesterday, Blue Beetle/The Reach could pull out an assist, maybe even the Star Sapphires.

Blankspace on
    SIG.gif
  • Options
    MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Jon Rogers actually outright stated a while back that the Reach have no connection to the color spectrum that the Green Lanterns, Sinestro Corpsmen, and Star Sapphire are a part of. So I wouldn't count on them to play a role, though it could have just been a swerve on his part.

Munch on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    And like I also said to you last night blank.
    SBP has been inside a red sun for over a year, I doubt he is anywhere near what he was during Infinite Crisis

I agree though, I was shocked at how effective the Sinestro Corps attack was.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    TransporterTransporter Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Basically, every single goddamn person in the DCU is needed to take on ONE of the big hitters in the Sinestro Corps.

SBP killed EVERYONE that was guarding him when he was freed. Like, all of them. After spending at least a YEAR trapped under a Yellow sun.

Basically, it's horribly obvious that their goal isn't to kill everything. Because if they wanted to, nothing in hells stopping them.

Transporter on
  • Options
    wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Not really a big surprise, but the guy at my LCS says the Sinestro Corps special is sold out at Diamond. :^:

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • Options
    TransporterTransporter Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    And like I also said to you last night blank.
    SBP has been inside a red sun for over a year, I doubt he is anywhere near what he was during Infinite Crisis

I agree though, I was shocked at how effective the Sinestro Corps attack was.

And yet it was enough to kill EVERY single one of the GL's guarding the place.

Transporter on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Munch wrote: »
    Jon Rogers actually outright stated a while back that the Reach have no connection to the color spectrum that the Green Lanterns, Sinestro Corpsmen, and Star Sapphire are a part of. So I wouldn't count on them to play a role, though it could have just been a swerve on his part.
    Hrm, I remember him talking about how he consulted Geoff Johns way back when Blue Beetle 1 came out.

Damn, I thought it would have been interesting. I mean, Jamie's became a superhero right in the middle of Infinite Crisis, and in his first year he gets thrown in the middle of the biggest Galactic War ever.

Blankspace on
    SIG.gif
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Munch wrote: »

Well I never did have anyone answer me. Does the Blue Beetle armor use hardlight tech at all? Since the weapon of choice for 3 colors so far is hardlight stuff that they can use to create any weapon they want.

übergeek on
    camo_sig.png